Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This specific point might have merit. I mean, in college how many of us only talked to many of the girls we did (at least initially) because of the wonderful word BOOZE. Since Manti can't drink (which is likely why he didn't go to too many Irish Catholic College parties!), he may have been shy around women.

This makes as much sense as anything I've heard. I think that if there was no booze in college, I'd have had imaginary girlfriends, too!

I don't care if he lied, he's a 22 year old...

Dude, that excuse can only take you so far. That one's more appropriate for something like, "sure the guy got wasted and got in a bar fight, but he's only 22." Or "yeah he stayed out all night doing blow off a stripper's ass and slept through practice, but hey, he's 22." But some things are just inherrently weird and indicative of ... hell, I don't know what it's indicative of, but whatever it is it's bizarre and disturbing and it's not good. And if he was complicit (which it appears he was) this is hardly something that can be chalked up to the normal indiscretions of youth. It's really really creepy.

hell if hes not involved, even assuming he believed the call 100% can you imagine trying to figure out how to come clean on a national stage at that point?

i think you can point to the fact that he only has a handful of references to her during awards season as a sign he was avoiding the topic. whether thats because he just found out and didnt know what to say, or that he was scared that people were catching on and was in the process of getting caught at that time... we will see. but if he made her up to kill her off for awards - he certainly wasnt using her near what youd expect if everything was going according to plan (which it wasnt for whoever was behind it).

IT sounds to me like he was duped. I'm 24. I know people in relationships like this. The emotional level makes it seem very very real. Its very possible in my mind he was duped and if thats the case, i truly feel terrible for this man. Not only will he be embarrassed by this, but the entire country now thinks hes an idiot and fell for this. Just a bizarre story on many levels for sure though

either way, manti involved or not, there was a scheduled visit coming up very soon where she was supposed to meet the family etc... at notre dame. i think "she" was scheduled to fly in for a game 2-3 weeks away.

That could certainly explain the killing her off at that point in time, and the grandma being a bizarre coincidence that no one expected.

hell if hes not involved, even assuming he believed the call 100% can you imagine trying to figure out how to come clean on a national stage at that point?

i think you can point to the fact that he only has a handful of references to her during awards season as a sign he was avoiding the topic. whether thats because he just found out and didnt know what to say, or that he was scared that people were catching on and was in the process of getting caught at that time... we will see. but if he made her up to kill her off for awards - he certainly wasnt using her near what youd expect if everything was going according to plan (which it wasnt for whoever was behind it).

While I'm not an expert on the timelines of all the information and interviews, it still seems kinda fishy.

If you got a phone call from your recently deceased GF or someone else from her phone, and they were telling you that she really wasn't dead, you don't just ignore that.

You look into it. Sure, the first time he repeated the hoax after the phone call on 12/6 was 2 days later at the awards ceremony, so maybe he didn't have enough time to follow up. Maybe...(IMO your GF of at least a year dies and then turns out not to be dead makes you find the time to figure out what's going on) But there were more mentions of her after that. At some point you check in to the idea that she isn't dead or maybe wasn't real at all. I'm not saying he has to come out and admit being duped, but you certainly don't reference her again in an interview.

My opinion (based on the little info I've read) suggests he was likely initially duped, and at some point learned the truth but waited to admit it.

If he knew the truth before she "died" that's a serious integrity issue.

22. It's the new 16.

And 16 used to be the new 12.

Where are we headed? Will the next generation think that 30 is too young to act responsibly?

Young people act rashly and are inexperienced in many things.....but even a 12 year old knows that telling a lie is wrong.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8857057/friend-says-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-confessed-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax

Looks like Tuiasosopo and his female cousin were behind this and other similar hoaxes.

And there's the female that makes literally damn near any lie possible if teo wants to believe it. Male and female friends and family that know "his gf," a female for the phone etc... Coupled with who ronaiah was (son of a preacher and major player in the Samoan football world) and the other story that confirmed he also took a niece to a real life meet up to confirm his story and its elaborate enough that someone could get caught

It's one of the most, if not the most bizarre sports story I've ever heard. If Manti got duped, I feel so bad for him. It's about time he goes public with his story

But, his silence is deafening.

It is also strange to me that everyone involved in this is Polynesian...

Actually, I was trying to be subtle to Mike in Syracuse.

I figured that if one was going to point out that the Mormon religion specifically was "made up" then they likely were not an atheist or agnostic, as atheists & agnostics generally believe that "all" religions have been made up.

This would mean that Mike has some form of religious belief and would perhaps be offended by my comment......which hopefully would make him mindful that his comment would be derogatory and offensive to people of the Mormon faith.

FWIW I am not Mormon, atheist nor agnostic.

EDIT:

I'm fully aware of the potential insensitivity of my post. I've got my own positions on Mormonism that I probably shouldn't share in this forum so I'm going to just edit this point.

I'll apologize in advance to everyone that I've offended :)

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

http://espn.go.com/c...girlfriend-hoax

Looks like Tuiasosopo and his female cousin were behind this and other similar hoaxes.

Based on what is known right now, I would say that its pretty clear he was not in on it and was fooled. There are so many others speaking of being duped by the same two people, including a guy on the Cardinals.

Many people are questioning Teo's comments of having met in person...well, when you are a 22 year old Heisman Candidate on a National Championship contending team, maybe its just a little embarrassing for him to admit they met online. I know people who did eHarmony and got great releationships and it was still hard for them to tell people how they met. So not unusual for a kid like him to just say they met first in person.

This kid's draft stock will be just fine, at least at this point, because he was apparently a victim and you don't lose draft stock because you were a victim. He will still be a top 15 pick, probably top 10 and if the Bills take him at 8 then I am all for it as lord knows we need LB help bad. I would rather take him than Nassib at 8 since that is way too high for him. Teo at 8, Nassib in the 2nd...thats a good start to the new regime.