Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

This will never end. No matter what proof comes out it will be never be enough to silence both sides. Give me 12 hours I could have pictured of T'eo and myself at the beach, drinking a few beers, ticket stubs to a movie we saw, a bunch of girls to say they knew the woman, all that...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/01/17/the-questions-that-manti-teo-needs-to-answer/1842141/

Why did Te'o continue to speak of her after realizing this might have been a hoax?

According to Swarbrick, Te'o received a phone call on Dec. 6 from the number he believed to be Kekua's and was greeted by a voice on the line that he believed to be hers. He thought she had died in September, and Swarbrick said he was unnerved to learn she was not.

But that revelation did not stop Te'o from speaking about her. According to Chicago Tribune reporter Brian Hamilton, two days after learning that the woman he believed to be his girlfriend was not dead, Te'o said, "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

I was once all for him in the 1st. After his performance and this issue I still would take him in the 2nd, but would not gamble a first round selection on him. The balance of risk and questions about him now has tipped toward not being a good first round gamble anymore. And that is what most first round selections are, gambles with huge consequences or payoffs.

completely off my board if this is true.

completely off my board if this is true.

As a fan I couldn't care any less about this story. Can he play inside LB in the NFL. That is all that should matter. For the past decade OBD has paraded "good" or "smart" guys in front of us. Maybe it is time we bring in some people with an "edge" or maybe not of the right mind. I am fairly sure that you cannot be of right mind to play ILB in the NFL anyway.

On a side note, he was smart enough to concoct this story and "we" and the "media" were gullible to fall for it. I say good job to him for having some fun in college!

as SJBF pointed out up thread - this will be incredibly easy for him to settle if true. there will be records of phone calls, sending gifts, etc... If notre dame is to be believed, they have looked into this and are backing him to an incredible extent in their statements - it seems he has some sort of proof that he was really "dating" her and not running her profiles for fun. Notre Dame has specifically referenced the hoaxers having an actual location for him to send flowers for instance.

if the story line unfolding is to be believed his lie is that he had a face to face meeting with her, and didnt just meet online. if they think he can play, that will be forgiven faster than you can imagine. right now id imagine just like 90% of those in this thread dont want to give him the benefit of the doubt, a lot of scouts or gms probably only have a cliff notes version, a gut reaction of "that couldnt possibly be true," (because it does sound nuts, and really is pretty nuts) but are waiting for the facts.

Well said, as were SJBF's posts upthread. I would add that even beyond the overt lies (we caught each other's eye after the Stanford game, vacationed in Hawaii, etc.), Te'o still comes across poorly in the scenario where he's the victim. His family thought he was going to marry this girl, Te'o talked about her as the love of his life, etc. Now the story is that this was an online-only (and also telephone) relationship. Those two accounts don't jibe well with one other, even though they could technically both be true.

If Te'o's the victim, here's what he needs to do: First, provide the type of evidence SJBF is talking about. There should be mounds of it, since Te'o alleged that they would have 8-hour phone conversations and talk on the phone every night. Second, he needs to produce the female hoaxer who was talking on the phone with him every night. Deadspin has given us Tuiasasopo, who seems to be the principle hoaxer, but if Te'o's story is to be believed, there must've been a woman who was just as deeply involved. I'm guessing a mastermind hoaxer of this magnitude would've made all calls on a burner phone, but she would have to have some significant connection to Tuiasasopo. Maybe ND's private investigators already found this woman, and that's why ND is so willing to stand by Te'o? Maybe. But if that's the case, the info will be leaked sooner or later, or the press will find her on their own. Either way, if the female hoaxer exists, she can be found, and if Te'o wants to clear his name, she must be found.

Those things would be enough to convince me that his current story is true, and that what he's guilty of is being an idiot and an embellisher. (I.e., embellishing the significance of his online-only relationship by lying about how often they talked on the phone and met in person.)

EDIT: A couple people have mentioned this, but it bears repeating: If Te'o was so in love with this girl to the point his family thought they would marry, why didn't he ever visit her grave or her family? I get the reason he never went to the fake funeral, and it's possible that the hoaxers set up a fake address for him to send flowers to, but she fake died in September. He then went 3 months without paying a visit to the "love of [his] life"'s final resting place or family? ND even went to USC after the fake death, right? That's a pretty quick trip up the coast up to NoCal -- why didn't he take it? This doesn't prove anything -- everyone grieves in their own way -- but it seems odd to me, and it doesn't pass the smell test.

Edited by Cash

As a fan I couldn't care any less about this story. Can he play inside LB in the NFL. That is all that should matter. For the past decade OBD has paraded "good" or "smart" guys in front of us. Maybe it is time we bring in some people with an "edge" or maybe not of the right mind. I am fairly sure that you cannot be of right mind to play ILB in the NFL anyway.

On a side note, he was smart enough to concoct this story and "we" and the "media" were gullible to fall for it. I say good job to him for having some fun in college!

Other than providing some pleasure for many, you are correct--this is the only valid question.

The NFL has already proven that manslaughter, serial assault and battery, illegal drug use and weapons charges are no barrier to employment in this league.

If a GM was seriously considering taking this kid in the first round and changes his mind because of this silly story, he's likely a GM for a very bad team. I bet there are more than a few GM's who would be very happy to see Teo drop down as many boards as possible...

He'll be a NE patriot by the end of April.