Matt Barkley - QB - USC

RogerNapalm

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you've heard of that many QBs from USC serves as a counterpoint. Find me a school that has put more QBs in the NFL in the past 15 years.

History means next to nothing in the case of Matt Barkley. Different coach, different system and different development over the past 2 years.

Ya but he still has shown nothing in the way of what Luck or RG3 has , & the risk far out ways the reward !!

For those who want us to pick Matt Barkley with our #8 pick.

Have we learned nothing? I implore you, please digress by simply using history as a lesson.

Mark Sanchez - Suuuuuuucks

Matt Leinhart - Laugh out loud

Carson Palmer - Had a minute or two of success

Rob Johnson - This should be enough right here

John David Booty - Who?

Todd Marinovich - Yep

Rodney Peete - Was a wonderful back up for many years

Barkley is doomed and frankly hasn't shown much beyond what any of these other chumps have ever shown.

Does any more need to be said?

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?

i dont know the answer, but is it that usc is cursed or pete carroll didnt get it done

I have never understood this logic. Player X should be discounted because he went to school Y. I can't think of a position with more misses than QB. OK, you're right. The list is lackluster. But to discount MB because he went to USC seems short sighted. Tell me he has poor pocket presence, a weak arm, runs at glacial speed, is myopic, whatever, and I'm listening.

What schools HAVE produced HOF QBs on a consistent basis?

This still does not explain the complete failure of a QB school USC has been in the NFL!!

Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson AND John David Booty.

Don't turn it around... the argument is that USC quarterbacks historically suck, big time. THAT is irrefutable.

This still does not explain the complete failure of a QB school USC has been in the NFL!!

Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson AND John David Booty.

Don't turn it around... the argument is that USC quarterbacks historically suck, big time. THAT is irrefutable.

SO why does that mean Barkley will suck. I'm not seeing the connection?

By this logic we should only draft QB's from Cal, Tennesee and MIchingan.

C'mon Allan Bridgford, Tyler Bray, and Denard Robinson! We should draft all 3 since they are going to be stars.

Edited by CountDorkula

I love this line of thinking. So if Barkley should be avoided because he went to USC, and as we all know that school can't produce QBs, then where should the Bills find their next QB?

The answer is obvious. What university has the most QB starts in NFL history? What university has thrown for the most TDs in NFL history. What university is known as the "cradle of QBs" and Quaterback U?

Purdue University thats who.

So using the reliable method of picking a QB based on school the choice is clear. Robert Marve should be the pick. Added bonus is that he's the son of former Bill Eugene Marve.

So what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by gumby

I love this line of thinking. So if Barkley should be avoided because he went to USC, and as we all know that school can't produce QBs, then where should the Bills find their next QB?

The answer is obvious. What university has the most QB starts in NFL history? What university has thrown for the most TDs in NFL history. What university is known as the "cradle of QBs" and Quaterback U?

So using the reliable method of picking a QB based on school the choice is clear. Robert Marve should be the pick. Added plus is that he's the son of former Bill Eugene Marve.

Great minds... :thumbsup::beer:

For those who want us to pick Matt Barkley with our #8 pick.

Have we learned nothing? I implore you, please digress by simply using history as a lesson.

Mark Sanchez - Suuuuuuucks

Matt Leinhart - Laugh out loud

Carson Palmer - Had a minute or two of success

Rob Johnson - This should be enough right here

John David Booty - Who?

Todd Marinovich - Yep

Rodney Peete - Was a wonderful back up for many years

Barkley is doomed and frankly hasn't shown much beyond what any of these other chumps have ever shown.

Does any more need to be said?

Can anyone name a successful QB from USC? Ever?

But Look at the Team that Drafted them

Jets: Biggest Joke in the NFL, a Total Circus

Cardinals: consist losers with bad history of picking coaches

Bengals: cheap organization

Jaguars; played the Bills on a below average player

Vikings: he never got a shot

Raiders; encourage his Drug habit

Lions: another consist losers with bad history of picking coaches & building a team

Just saying a Good Organization helps a players career

C'mon Allan Bridgford, Tyler Bray, and Denard Robinson! We should draft all 3 since they are going to be stars.

wasnt the track record of Cal QBs used as an argument against Rodgers?

Don't draft Matt Barkley is what I am saying.... your strawman argument isn't valid.

wasnt the track record of Cal QBs used as an argument against Rodgers?

Aaron Rodgers was a #1 overall pick... how many USC quarterbacks went #1 overall??? One. Carson Palmer, the best of a list that sucks.

Don't draft Matt Barkley is what I am saying.... your strawman argument isn't valid.

Aaron Rodgers was a #1 overall pick... how many USC quarterbacks went #1 overall??? One. Carson Palmer, the best of a list that sucks.

And with that, you've pretty much told the board you know nothing about football.

Alex Smith was first. If DC Tom was here, he'd call you an idiot™

He was selected in the first round (24th overall) of the 2005 draft

I just looked a that draft again. Ryan Fitzpatrick was #250 out of 255. You should never, ever draft a QB from Harvard.

Edited by I_want_2_BILL_Lieve

Before he blew out his knee Carson Palmer was pretty effing good

I thought the guy in the attached link captured some good thoughts about the Barkley slide. I still think he will be the first QB taken.

I’ve heard Barkley doesn’t have a strong throwing arm. Who told you that? Was it Phil Simms, because he also said Andrew Luck didn’t have a big-time arm before last year’s draft. I don’t know where people are getting this idea. In fact, Barkley had more yards per attempt in 2012 than Geno Smith, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, and Tyler Bray. In other words, more than all the other quarterbacks I mentioned except Aaron Murray. Why would the USC coaching staff trust Barkley to make the kind of throws that got him a high yards per attempt if they didn’t trust his arm? And even if it comes out in the combine or the Pro Day that Barkley can’t throw it 60 yards on his knees like JaMarcus Russell could (the gold standard of arm strength that didn’t mean a darn thing), he’s obviously got a strong enough arm to get the job done.

arrowheadaddict.com/2012/12/15/todd-mcshay-is-wrong-and-matt-barkley-should-be-a-chief/

So using the reliable method of picking a QB based on school the choice is clear. Robert Marve should be the pick. Added bonus is that he's the son of former Bill Eugene Marve.

I think the thinking is certain schools have tend to make players look better than they are. Personally, I'm not a fan of drafting QBs from powerhouse colleges (USC, Oklahoma, Miami, etc.) When you are a QB at a powehouse school, you are covered up. You never get hit because you have a great line. You have blue chippers at all the skill positions. Bascially, you never faced adversity and that's what makes a NFL QB great. So when they get to the pros, it's cold water to the face. I was on record last year saying the Rams should have tried to trade Bradford and pick RG3. Bradford is the definition of a QB from a powerhouse school. He never got hit in college, played in a great system, and threw to blue chippers. As a result, he is a pretty average NFL player. RG3 on the other hand changed a program.

That said, I like Barkley and think the hate has gone to fair. He is a different kid than most USC QBs. He goes to missions to Africa in the offseason. Because of violations and loss of scholarships, USC wasn't as strong the past few years as it's been. As others have pointed out, he started 4 years. Additionally, he had to play under Kiffin, who IMO is an absolute joke.

If Barkley is on the board, it will be really hard for the Bills to pass on him. Especially when you consider that Marrone saw Barkley pass for 6 tds against Cuse. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/480322/matt-barkley When was the last time the Bills had a QB with the resume of Barkley? And there is no reason not to draft a QB later. But personally, I'd be all for Barkley in a Bills' uniform.

how do you make a buzzer sound annnnnnnttttttttttttttt Rodgers went like 24thish? all Cal qb's sucked. so glad we passed on Rodgers.

:w00t: :w00t:

This USC argument is dumb..........different everything.............theres no correlation..............and Carson Palmer was awesome pre cheap shot to the knee FWIW.

how do you make a buzzer sound annnnnnnttttttttttttttt Rodgers went like 24thish? all Cal qb's sucked. so glad we passed on Rodgers.

:w00t: :w00t:

This USC argument is dumb..........different everything.............theres no correlation..............and Carson Palmer was awesome pre cheap shot to the knee FWIW.

even more than the Cal argument, it was all Tedford coached QBs are terrible (Harrington, Carr). I get the idea of type casting but just like it real life, you need to explore each person individually.