Dr Andrews/Mike Shanahan at odds over RGIII injury

papazoid

Another thing I find strange is that debate is happening in Washington of all places. Didn't the Senators do the exact opposite with their ace, Strasburg, by shutting him down for the playoffs... And people were slacking the team for that! Again, people are never happy... Damn if you do, damn if you don't!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just not that interested, if he is lying still don't care one way or the other.

So why, pray tell, are you posting your uninformed opinion in the thread? It's awful easy to just pick another thread to read; did you hear the Bills just hired a HC?

For those who ARE interested, it's clear Shanahan is using RGIII's ridiculous assertion that he was "hurt, but not injured" to absolve himself of responsibility for leaving him in the game. This, despite the fact even a first-time football watcher could have pointed out Griffin's ineffectiveness and obvious physical limitations in the 2nd quarter. If Griffin's injury renders him unavailable for even a part of training camp or the 2013 season, or results in him being a "different" football player going forward, it's all on Shanahan. It is absolutely irrelevant that Griffin insisted on going back (and staying) in the game. That's a HC's job. Shanahan is a huge, steaming, POS, and if I were a Redskins fan I'd be furious and demanding his head on a platter.

For those who ARE interested, it's clear Shanahan is using RGIII's ridiculous assertion that he was "hurt, but not injured" to absolve himself of responsibility for leaving him in the game. This, despite the fact even a first-time football watcher could have pointed out Griffin's ineffectiveness and obvious physical limitations in the 2nd quarter. If Griffin's injury renders him unavailable for even a part of training camp or the 2013 season, or results in him being a "different" football player going forward, it's all on Shanahan. It is absolutely irrelevant that Griffin insisted on going back (and staying) in the game. That's a HC's job. Shanahan is a huge, steaming, POS, and if I were a Redskins fan I'd be furious and demanding his head on a platter.

Shanahan should have played it safe without question. I used to play tennis (a decidedly more pansy sport, I admit) and on a couple of occasions, played with a sprained ankle. In the heat of the match, the pain didn't seem near as bad but later the doc said I should never have continued playing. Call it adrenaline, call it a a desire to not be seen as a wuss, the player is not always the best judge of his own health.

Epic lapse in judgement not being able to see what was obvious to even the least-informed football fans.

wassup, SJBF ?

Dr. Andrews is changing his tune now by saying Mike Shanahan didn’t lie about RG3′s knee:

http://profootballta...bout-rg3s-knee/

It's immaterial what Andrews says.

It doesn't change the facts that:

1) RGIII's play was hurting the team

2)RGIII's play was also exposing him to further injury

3) Shanny did not recognize that leaving RGIII in the game was a lose-lose situation, there was nothing to gain and everything to lose

4) Shanny who is a maniacal autocrat, somehow let a player make a decision that a coach is supposed to make

3) Shanny did not recognize that leaving RGIII in the game was a lose-lose situation, there was nothing to gain and everything to lose

4) Shanny who is a maniacal autocrat, somehow let a player make a decision that a coach is supposed to make

bingo.

That's pretty much all there is to say on this subject. I simply cannot believe all the talking heads at ESPN (Dilfer, Wilbon, etc) who are defending Shanahan. They talk as if the Redskins had no chance to win if RGIII was taken out, when it was precisely the opposite. I don't think I've ever seen a clearer case of coach's malfeasance.

The NFL should investigate this for sure. And I won't shed a tear if RG3 misses time in 2013 due to this. He's an adult. If he feels he needs medical attention, he should ask for it. And it's Shannahan's job as HC to be able to identify potential injuries to his players and refer them to the medical staff to further evaluate any such bodily insults. And I just love the way Dr. Andrews threw up his arms and said "he's running, he must be OK". How unprofessional can one get. Somewhere in this story is the truth and I don't think Dr Andrews is the idiot he makes himself out to be.

I feel the NFL needs to be more aggressive in protecting its players. I'm fine with players becoming injured due to violent, aggressive play. It's part of the game. But to knowingly put an already injured player back on the field is wrong. It should be punishable via a loss of a draft pick. Fines do nothing.

kid was clearly hobbled. i was on the hate Shanahan bandwagon, and still am to a certain extent. the kid was clearly messed up early in that game, mike should have seen that. the word from Dr Anderson today are a little startling.

speaking from my own experience on the USA National Team and suffering a poorly managed injury. Athletes always want to hear that they can play. When your coach is a future HOFer, who you watched as a kid, you give him all of your trust (just like my coach) and he tells you everything will be ok, then you do it. Shanahan clearly breached this trust, and it will change their relationship forever. Shanahan knows players want to play, all the time, pain or not. It is his job to temper players and manage them. He didn't. RG3 wont be the same for the Redskins for both physical and psychological reasons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-invested-in-robert-griffin-iii-then-everyone-put-his-future-in-jeopardy/2013/01/08/66bf6df8-59b3-11e2-9fa9-5fbdc9530eb9_story.html?hpid=z1

As for the Cutler comparison, my problem with him was not that he was too hurt to play, but that he spent the rest of the game disengaged and moping, thereby reinforcing his reputation as a sullen, me-firster. So at least as far as I am concerned, there is no comparison here.

Even flutie is a tough case study- he never proved he could be a long term qb year in and year out

Even flutie is a tough case study- he never proved he could be a long term qb year in and year out

He was in the CFL & would have been if we wouldn't have pulled him in that playoff game. He was so pissed why would he want to stick around ?

If he would've stayed in that game we would have won went on in the play offs , he would have came back along with Phillips taken us to the play offs again & more than likely finished his career in B/Lo

This message sponsered by Dave Damesheck or how ever you spell it ...

Edited by T master

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Uh-oh: @mortreport reports Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction surgery of his right knee early Wednesday morning.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Griffin's recovery is projected at 6-to-8 months w/ rehabilitation that will focus on his quad strength to protect and help stabilize knee.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8827480/sources-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery-ready-opener

Edited by Punch

Ugh that's unfortunate. People will blame shannie because as an ass he's an easy target. But as some of us talked about before there was an air of inevitably given his history , play style and not being a big guy. Cousins looks like a capable starter too, at least give shannie credit for that. Quite a testament to the value of BPA

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack