Dr Andrews/Mike Shanahan at odds over RGIII injury

papazoid

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's very possible that washington LIED about the severity of his injuries from a month ago......

Yep. And the Skins were fined $20,000 earlier this year for not promptly reporting RGIII's concussion. Shanahan is a weasel.

And am I the only one who thinks RGIII is getting a big head? "I'm our best option." What kind of nonsense is that?

And am I the only one who thinks RGIII is getting a big head? "I'm our best option." What kind of nonsense is that?

Apparently Shanny wasn't the only one incapable of seeing the obvious: that RGIII's play was hurting his team.

However the player can't be blamed for wanting to stay in the game. There are lots of players who would refuse to voluntarily come out.

The head coach on the other hand is entrusted to recognize:

1) when the player is hurting the team

2) when the player is hurting himself

3) when the player is hurting the team and himself, which was the case yesterday

Epic coaching fail by Shanny.

Epic lapse in judgement not being able to see what was obvious to even the least-informed football fans.

Potential torn ACL and LCL for Griffin...way to risk your franchise for a first round playoff game in his rookie season when you had a very capable backup in Cousins...Shanahan should be hearing it from Redskins fan...this borders on a fireable offense, IMHO

Apparently Shanny wasn't the only one incapable of seeing the obvious: that RGIII's play was hurting his team.

However the player can't be blamed for wanting to stay in the game. There are lots of players who would refuse to voluntarily come out.

The head coach on the other hand is entrusted to recognize:

1) when the player is hurting the team

2) when the player is hurting himself

3) when the player is hurting the team and himself, which was the case yesterday

Epic coaching fail by Shanny.

Epic lapse in judgement not being able to see what was obvious to even the least-informed football fans.

In fact, the player is essentially trained not to stop til someone takes his helmet. It's the staffs job to protect him if they are going to create that culture

Potential torn ACL and LCL for Griffin...way to risk your franchise for a first round playoff game in his rookie season when you had a very capable backup in Cousins...Shanahan should be hearing it from Redskins fan...this borders on a fireable offense, IMHO

To be fair, the risk was taken weeks ago.

Just like Napoleon's unchecked delusions of grandeur which ultimately led to his demise, I am convinced so will be the case with Shanahan in Washington. So focused on winning at whatever the cost was Shanahan, so blinded by his own desire to win a Super Bowl to cement his Hall of Fame status, he risked literally everything to do it. He put his own desires and benefits ahead of the team, and I found it not only ridiculous, but also highly unacceptable on so many levels.

He put his rookie franchise QB in harm's way, and for that, he should be relievd of his duties, IMHO. Griffin is more important to the Redskins than Shanahan is, and putting the franchise in harm's way to win a wildcard playoff game is inexcuseable, especially when Kirk Cousins has played very well when called on as a backup this year.

Shanahan is maniacal in his pursuit of fame, and he doesn't care who gets in his way. Snyder needs to recognize that Griffin is more important to the longterm success of the franchise and needs to protect him from a coach who obviously doesn't care. Griffin likely suffered a torn ACL and LCL after being obviously limited and definitely innefective for quite some time in that game...plenty of time for Shanahan to realize that he was putting Griffin in an inordinate amount of risk by leaving him in there against an attacking Seattle defense that smelled blood in the water as they saw Griffin laboring to move around. If I was a Redskin fan, I would be absolutely livid at Shanahan, even moreso for his cavalier attitude about it after the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--mike-shanahan-deserves-to-keep-his-job--but-his-burning-obsession-to-win-is-a-problem-015337422.html

I haven't read any article or listened to any interviews but can we really say it was all Shannys fault? Do we know if RG3 told him he wanted back in? Do we know if RG3 lied and said he felt ok? Just saying there's a few sides of this one. Shannys side, RG3s side, the medical staff, the owner, the fans. Everyone has a hindsight opinion. Shabby felt with RG3 his best option to win the game was with him in there. And if RG3 wanted back in, why would you take that away from him.

As far as the medical staff goes, I'm not getting I to that. But I'm guessing without reading anything that RG3 wanted back in. What athlete wouldn't?

So Shannahan took the redskins from a doormat to one of the more explosive dominant rushing offenses in the league and a division championship should be fired? Yeah no. Of course the RG3 situation should've been handled different but Shanny is a good coach

Edited by Stealth

I haven't read any article or listened to any interviews but can we really say it was all Shannys fault? Do we know if RG3 told him he wanted back in? Do we know if RG3 lied and said he felt ok? Just saying there's a few sides of this one. Shannys side, RG3s side, the medical staff, the owner, the fans. Everyone has a hindsight opinion. Shabby felt with RG3 his best option to win the game was with him in there. And if RG3 wanted back in, why would you take that away from him.

As far as the medical staff goes, I'm not getting I to that. But I'm guessing without reading anything that RG3 wanted back in. What athlete wouldn't?

You should read the other thread on this topic.

Just like Napoleon's unchecked delusions of grandeur which ultimately led to his demise, I am convinced so will be the case with Shanahan in Washington. So focused on winning at whatever the cost was Shanahan, so blinded by his own desire to win a Super Bowl to cement his Hall of Fame status, he risked literally everything to do it. He put his own desires and benefits ahead of the team, and I found it not only ridiculous, but also highly unacceptable on so many levels.

He put his rookie franchise QB in harm's way, and for that, he should be relievd of his duties, IMHO. Griffin is more important to the Redskins than Shanahan is, and putting the franchise in harm's way to win a wildcard playoff game is inexcuseable, especially when Kirk Cousins has played very well when called on as a backup this year.

Shanahan is maniacal in his pursuit of fame, and he doesn't care who gets in his way. Snyder needs to recognize that Griffin is more important to the longterm success of the franchise and needs to protect him from a coach who obviously doesn't care. Griffin likely suffered a torn ACL and LCL after being obviously limited and definitely innefective for quite some time in that game...plenty of time for Shanahan to realize that he was putting Griffin in an inordinate amount of risk by leaving him in there against an attacking Seattle defense that smelled blood in the water as they saw Griffin laboring to move around. If I was a Redskin fan, I would be absolutely livid at Shanahan, even moreso for his cavalier attitude about it after the game.

http://sports.yahoo....-015337422.html

dramatic much?

Doc said it was good, RG wanted back in who wouldn't put him back, I'd be pissed if my coach didn't. Injuries happen he will get surgery and be fine.

dramatic much?

Doc said it was good, RG wanted back in who wouldn't put him back, I'd be pissed if my coach didn't. Injuries happen he will get surgery and be fine.

You haven't been following the story. Doc didn't say it was good.

Shanny possibly lying. You too should read the other thread.

What I don't understand, is that just a few years ago Chicago was in the NFC finals. Cutler gets hurt, takes himself out, and everyone was in an uproar because he let his team down.and he should of "manned up." People questioned his toughness. Now move ahead to this season and it is just the opposite. I completely understand if it was pop Warner, high school, and even to a lesser extent college for the coach to take the blame for leaving someone in too long. These are adults. This is their career, and their choices. Rg3 even commented how on every play nfl players risk every ligament in their body. He is a fierce competitor who thought he even not 100% gave his team a better shot at winning. I can't put this on Shannahan...

I understand where you're coming from, I really do but at the same time you have to be logical. How bad would it have been if Shanahan didn't trust his best player when he said he was ready to go? Football is a sport of pride and ego's bottom line and RGIII was not going to sit out the most important game of his young career. I do think that Shanahan should've started Cousins but it's really easy to make that call after the game. No one had one bad thing to say about Shanahan letting RGIII play while they were up 14-0.

What I don't understand, is that just a few years ago Chicago was in the NFC finals. Cutler gets hurt, takes himself out, and everyone was in an uproar because he let his team down.and he should of "manned up." People questioned his toughness. Now move ahead to this season and it is just the opposite. I completely understand if it was pop Warner, high school, and even to a lesser extent college for the coach to take the blame for leaving someone in too long. These are adults. This is their career, and their choices. Rg3 even commented how on every play nfl players risk every ligament in their body. He is a fierce competitor who thought he even not 100% gave his team a better shot at winning. I can't put this on Shannahan...

+1. Forgot about the Cutler thing.