Dr Andrews/Mike Shanahan at odds over RGIII injury

papazoid

this could get interesting.....

Dr. James Andrews told USA Today Sports that he didn't clear Robert Griffin III to return for four plays against the Baltimore Ravens on Dec. 9 when he sprained his knee as Mike Shanahan had told reporters after that game and that he's still worried about the Washington Redskins quarterback's knee, even though he has been cleared to play.

When asked why he risked Griffin's long-term health by letting the quarterback return to the game, Shanahan had said he only let Griffin return after he got the OK from Andrews, who was on the team's sideline. "He's the one that gives me that information," Shanahan said on Dec. 10. "It's way over my head."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8818158/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-not-told-dr-james-andrews-re-enter-game

Dr. Andrews says RG3 was never cleared to re-enter game

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/dr-andrews-says-rg3-was-never-cleared-to-re-enter-game/

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the beginning of a long injury history for RGIII unless he gets smarter about when he runs. The NFL isn't college and he's going to get hurt if he thinks he can keep making spectacular runs against NFL safeties and linebackers. The only running QB in recent memory to have a long term successful career was Steve Young, and he only did it when he had to. Aaron Rodgers is the only other current QB that comes to mind that can run. When he runs, he almost always ends up running to the sideline or sliding.

Running QB's sound exciting, but NFL defenses are just too big, fast and strong.

everybody loves the running qb when they are young and healthy but its almost always short term gain for long term harm. first off, they always get injured and usually lose their running effectiveness fairly early in their careers. secondly, their early success with running stunts their growth as a passer so that when their running isnt as effective anymore due to injury they have a tough time making the transition to a pocket passer

there are of course a few good exceptions but for the most part running qbs are just a drastic drop in production waiting to happen. this read option stuff is going to be a fad for just that reason - unless a team invests in a stable of comparable qbs they are just going to end up losing their qb on a regular basis, like we are already seeing with rg3 and others

everybody loves the running qb when they are young and healthy but its almost always short term gain for long term harm. first off, they always get injured and usually lose their running effectiveness fairly early in their careers. secondly, their early success with running stunts their growth as a passer so that when their running isnt as effective anymore due to injury they have a tough time making the transition to a pocket passer

there are of course a few good exceptions but for the most part running qbs are just a drastic drop in production waiting to happen. this read option stuff is going to be a fad for just that reason - unless a team invests in a stable of comparable qbs they are just going to end up losing their qb on a regular basis, like we are already seeing with rg3 and others

Two people who beat those odds Tarkington and Flutie. Short guys have to roll and run to be successful.

this could get interesting.....

Dr. James Andrews told USA Today Sports that he didn't clear Robert Griffin III to return for four plays against the Baltimore Ravens on Dec. 9 when he sprained his knee as Mike Shanahan had told reporters after that game and that he's still worried about the Washington Redskins quarterback's knee, even though he has been cleared to play.

When asked why he risked Griffin's long-term health by letting the quarterback return to the game, Shanahan had said he only let Griffin return after he got the OK from Andrews, who was on the team's sideline. "He's the one that gives me that information," Shanahan said on Dec. 10. "It's way over my head."

http://espn.go.com/n...s-re-enter-game

Dr. Andrews says RG3 was never cleared to re-enter game

http://profootballta...-re-enter-game/

If true, that's a huge problem. If I'm Daniel Snyder, I would demand a full investigation. If Shanahan played Griffin for one snap against the advice of the team doctor, I would fire him immediately. Who cares if the Redskins make the playoffs this year? You are talking about the future of the franchise for the next 10-15 years. Also, they have a competent backup who has proven he can win games when RGIII is on the bench. If true, absolutely unforgivable.

Not apples to apples - hence it's tough. Unless guys like Demarcus ware and haloti ngata have cfl equivalents.

I would say considering his time in the USFL and his 8 years in the CFL where he won every individual and team accolade one could win, my opinion is that he could have been a long term QB in the NFL.

IMO he was never given that chance until the very end of his career.

I would say considering his time in the USFL and his 8 years in the CFL where he won every individual and team accolade one could win, my opinion is that he could have been a long term QB in the NFL.

IMO he was never given that chance until the very end of his career.

Possible. Just pointing out the obvious difference- much like college. Him being among the quickest out there and not terribly undersized going to being of average speed and very small equates to a lot more Mack trucks running him over instead of fender benders with economy cars Occassionally. He could've held up - he might've worn down. More hits and bigger ones when they do come.

Nothing big, just slow to say he was an example of it being done

Edited by NoSaint