Haslett for DC? Return of the Bermuda Triangle?

If this is indeed true that he's not going back to Deadskins I'd love to have him. I love what he did in Washington. His plans for the last 2 weeks against Dallas and Seattle were really good. He is aggressive and brings the (Red Dog) Blitz which I really like.

Since we have a neophyte HC, we need real pro quality Coordinators and assistants.

If this is indeed true that he's not going back to Deadskins I'd love to have him. I love what he did in Washington. His plans for the last 2 weeks against Dallas and Seattle were really good. He is aggressive and brings the (Red Dog) Blitz which I really like.

Since we have a neophyte HC, we need real pro quality Coordinators and assistants.

strikes:

he runs the 34

hes burned a lot of buffalo bridges

hes an idiot

this has been a good season, but he has a lot of lackluster ones on the resume

strikes:

he runs the 34

hes burned a lot of buffalo bridges

hes an idiot

this has been a good season, but he has a lot of lackluster ones on the resume

Funny thing is, depsite the "big switch to a 4-3" this season, adding Mario and Anderson arguably has the Bills set up better for a 3-4 than a 4-3. Both guys are OLB's in a 3-4, which means they are only 1 ILB away instead of needing an OLB and an MLB to stay with the 4-3.

Put another way, a 3-4 is in many ways really a 5-2, and the Bills have a lot more talent at DL than they do at LB, obviously.

Funny thing is, depsite the "big switch to a 4-3" this season, adding Mario and Anderson arguably has the Bills set up better for a 3-4 than a 4-3. Both guys are OLB's in a 3-4, which means they are only 1 ILB away instead of needing an OLB and an MLB to stay with the 4-3.

Put another way, a 3-4 is in many ways really a 5-2, and the Bills have a lot more talent at DL than they do at LB, obviously.

good post. i agree.

Dareus and KW both played better in the 3-4 last season too. switching back to a 3-4 wouldn't be that big of a deal imo.

that being said, i don't want Haslett.

that assumes both high priced guys who left 34 teams for our 43 would be happy about the change.

i know, i know, shut up and play, but its a real consideration.

He almost had the Seahawks number

yeah exactly. I never was a big Haslett guy after his failure in NO. However, after watching the games the last 2 weeks, he had dialed up great plans vs two explosive offensive teams. It's not his fault Shanahan abandoned the run to Morris and let a one legged QB that couldn't pass for beans carry the team. They did hold Seattle to 21 not counting the gift at the 5 yard line late which only turned into 3 btw.

And I don't care if he runs the 43, 34, 46, flex, or the 16 Umbrella defense as long as it works.

Edited by reddogblitz

This is what I was told by a friend. Haslett's agent told him that he was trying to get an interview with the Bills. He told me that Saturday before they announced the hiring of the new coach. He said Haslett was leaving Washington no matter what, that Shanahan was "a handful." Actually, his text reads that he has arranged an interview with Haslett in Buffalo. I asked him if it was for DC, he said probably. He is leaving Washington no matter what.

That's a legit source, but who knows?

This is what I was told by a friend. Haslett's agent told him that he was trying to get an interview with the Bills. He told me that Saturday before they announced the hiring of the new coach. He said Haslett was leaving Washington no matter what, that Shanahan was "a handful." Actually, his text reads that he has arranged an interview with Haslett in Buffalo. I asked him if it was for DC, he said probably. He is leaving Washington no matter what.

That's a legit source, but who knows?

Thanks for the info

It could work especially if Carrington can play DE along with Dareus. Then Kyle Williams will be the Nose Tackle. The one concern will be Kyle WIlliams if he can block any bull rushing. The biggest issue would be depth on the DL. Either way, they would need to draft more for the front seven. At least this will put their 7 best players on the field.

At this point, I just want to see a great defense. Personally I think that our players might make for a good group of blitzers. We have some good athletes on defense compared to a lot of teams. They just can't cover very well. Why not send them to the QB instead? McKelvin blitzing from the slot would be a step in the right direction. Bradham was a decent blitzer in college.

Why do people claim Haslett failed in NO. He took a 3-13 team to the playoffs finished 10-6 and was named NFL Coach of the Year, went 8-8, 9-7,8-8 with a team that had a below average QB - remember Aaron Brooks - nope? and no one else does either. Defense always showed up. The year of Katrina his team fell apart but then they played 16 road games and had nowhere to practice. Did a heck of a job with Washington.

And people in this loser of a city call him a failure?

Some good points.

Why do people claim Haslett failed in NO. He took a 3-13 team to the playoffs finished 10-6 and was named NFL Coach of the Year, went 8-8, 9-7,8-8 with a team that had a below average QB - remember Aaron Brooks - nope? and no one else does either. Defense always showed up. The year of Katrina his team fell apart but then they played 16 road games and had nowhere to practice. Did a heck of a job with Washington.

Agreed. Don't think he's a looser at all and would love to have him in Buffalo as DC.

Anderson has never played OLB and they have no NT...They have three good DT's Dareus, Williams and Carrington and if Troup comes back healthy they may have four...I would gues it is easier to find two OLB's than it is to find one Wolfork like NT.

Stick with the 4-3. Darues will be a beast next year. Add an edge rushing OLB, remember it is ok in the NFL to blitz, and the defense will come alive.

Because that team was in his image - a disaster. The teammates sleeping with wives of other teammates, him knocking up a cheerleader, the lazy boy recliners in the locker room, and running a hall of famer out of town. He's not well liked in New Orleans despite the good season.

I have reservations about Haslett...he has burned bridges nearly everywhere he has been. I am curious as to what his issues are with Shanahan. As a player in Buffalo, and some of his coaching stops, he had a history of being part of divisive locker rooms. Maybe he has grown up some over the years...not sure. Just not sure if that is the kind of guy you want as the DC for a first time head coach.