Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to ask...for those who are calling this a marketing decision...is their a deficiency in the Syracuse market that the Bills need to address regarding ticket sales or are people just make simplistic arguments for the sake of being pessimistic? It just doesn't make sense...who are they going to convince to come to games besides Syracuse alums/fans who aren't fans right now...how much of a market share can that really be?

I have to laugh at the ignorance and outright stupidity of a lot of the posters in this thread.

Let me sum up pages and pages of comments with the following...

Marrone's quality as a coaching prospect should be not based purely on stats and his win/loss record at SU. That is a remarkably incomplete, sophomoric approach to his value that misses large amounts of meaningful nuance.

Secondly, regardless of what you or I think about Marrone, you should be smart enough to acknowledge that he was a hot prospect. He was heavily pursued by multiple teams in need of a coach, and some reports suggest he may have been Cleveland's #1 choice over Kelly.

Does that really remind you of Chan Gailey or Dick Jauron?

None of us knows if Marrone will be great or a bust. Anyone who claims to know the answer to that is full of BS.

But what we all must agree to is that this is most certainly not "business as usual" at 1 Bills Drive.

Russ and company quickly and aggressively pursued top coaching candidates perceived as such by multiple organizations in the NFL, not just the Bills...and bagged one of them before teams got a chance to do so.

So far, Russ Brandon is living up to his bold words at the Press Conference. Things are changing.

That is all we can ask for as fans at this time.

I'd like to ask...for those who are calling this a marketing decision...is their a deficiency in the Syracuse market that the Bills need to address regarding ticket sales or are people just make simplistic arguments for the sake of being pessimistic? It just doesn't make sense...who are they going to convince to come to games besides Syracuse alums/fans who aren't fans right now...how much of a market share can that really be?

Its not a marketing decision just a bad one..

I have to laugh at the ignorance and outright stupidity of a lot of the posters in this thread.

Marrone's quality as a coaching prospect should be not based purely on stats and his win/loss record at SU. That is a remarkably incomplete, sophomoric approach to his value that misses large amounts of meaningful nuance.

Secondly, regardless of what you or I think about Marrone, you should be smart enough to acknowledge that he was a hot prospect. He was heavily pursued by multiple teams in need of a coach, and some reports suggest he may have been Cleveland's #1 choice over Kelly.

None of us knows if Marrone will be great or a bust. Anyone who claims to know the answer to that is full of BS.

But what we all must agree to is that this is most certainly not "business as usual" at 1 Bills Drive.

Russ and company quickly and aggressively pursued top coaching candidates perceived as such by multiple organizations in the NFL, not just the Bills...and bagged one of them before teams got a chance to do so.

So far, Russ Brandon is living up to his bold words at the Press Conference. Things are changing.

Yes it is... A mediocre coach for a mediocre team.. Same ole "business as usual".. What has this guy done again? Go from 13-34 to 25-25. WoW! Big Deal 12 games...

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

you shouln't assume that where someone grew up has anything to do with a coaching hire IMO.

Disagree. A sales & Marketing guy needs to expand his base. Thats what they do in the NFL small markets. I don't have a link but didn't marone at the end of the season PUT his name out there saying he's available? Wouldn't that partly cause the interest in him. Because on the surface, his record isn't all that impressive, and I understand he took over a turd of a program.

I could see Brandon seeing a hire Kind of in the bills market as a huge plus, in selling inventory. Which is what he's paid to do among other things. A salesman never stops selling.

Did he hire him because brandon is from Syracuse? No way. But money is the bottom line and nobody understands that better than the bills newly minted president.

Seriously, is it too damned much to ask of The Bills to issue a statement - either confirming, denying or saying it's a deal in principle and details are still being worked on?

I don't particularly care who they hire. I just want them to win and to begin looking like winners, they can begin handling their press releases on MAJOR TOPICS like this by being out in front of the story.

[/stepsdownfromsoapbox]

I just don't get it...coulda had Lovie

The assistant coaches will be the key, hopefully he can hire some experienced NFL assistants, or its another 3 years of growing pains

Being the OC under Sean Peyton for 2 years doesn't mean much. Its like Steve Fairchild was under Mike Martz. Peyton calls his own offensive plays and sets up his own game plans. Pro football reference doesn't even acknowledge Marrone as the OC for those 2 years.

I'm with you there...this guy may become a good HC. The turn around at SU sounds promising but would've liked to see the complete return to prominence of the program before making this jump. A .500 record (less than inter-conference) just doesn't do it for me...

This is a guy who has just rebuilt a college program in just about no time. I like that. I like Ryan nassib, too, by the way. I REALLY like that the Bills left the beaten track of NFL-retreads looking for a new HC.

A "college" program. Things are just a "tad" different in the NFL.....

How in the hell do people believe this was a marketing hire? The 'marketing' hire would have been chip kelly.

Bills fans, every decisions you don't agree with is not a marketing move.

Edited by jeremy2020

I have to agree with this. No one knows if Marrone will succeed or not, but it does not look like business as usual at OBD. RW, Jr. never would have made this hire. I am generally pleased with the way this HC search was conducted. Unlike three years ago, the Bills seem to have been on an even playing field with the other teams with HC vacancies. There were no embarrassing leaks that so and so refused even to interview with us, or rejected our offer. We look like a professional organization, for once. I was highly skeptical after last week's press conference due to the retention of Nix, but things are definitely looking up.

Edited by mannc

Sal just asked Mary Kay Cabot from the Cleveland Plain Dealer if "Marrone is in play for Cleveland?".

Is Sal hopelessly out of touch or is Marrone not signed? WTF?!?

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Mary Kay, is Marrone in play there? RT @MaryKayCabot Kelly "will not be the next Cleveland Browns coach,'' report says http://dlvr.it/2ljKbp

I am trying to change my mind and get behind this hire but the more I research the less I like: 25-25 at syracuse look at how many wins are aginst schools with winning records....was oc at n.o. but didn't do the game plans or call plays...brandon's buddy. Lookong at next years schedule and the fact that why would free agents want to come to buffalo to play for a guy who is a mystery at best... we are looking at 2-14 next year at best. Terrible day to be a bills fan

Sal just asked Mary Kay Cabot from the Cleveland Plain Dealer if "Marrone is in play for Cleveland?".

Is Sal hopelessly out of touch or is Marrone not signed? WTF?!?

Sal Maiorana@salmaiorana

Mary Kay, is Marrone in play there? RT @MaryKayCabot Kelly "will not be the next Cleveland Browns coach,'' report says http://dlvr.it/2ljKbp

Out of touch. They have a deal in 'principle' which means the lawyers are checking the language and then it will be signed.

Disagree. A sales & Marketing guy needs to expand his base. Thats what they do in the NFL small markets. I don't have a link but didn't marone at the end of the season PUT his name out there saying he's available? Wouldn't that partly cause the interest in him. Because on the surface, his record isn't all that impressive, and I understand he took over a turd of a program.

I could see Brandon seeing a hire Kind of in the bills market as a huge plus, in selling inventory. Which is what he's paid to do among other things. A salesman never stops selling.

Did he hire him because brandon is from Syracuse? No way. But money is the bottom line and nobody understands that better than the bills newly minted president.

There is a difference between a deal being signed and someone saying they would like to coach the Bills. If Brandon was worth his salt as president, he would have corrected the story about Marrone being the next Bills coach earlier than he did today, but as a PR guy, he let the story take some legs and now the so called "league sources" and reporters are left hanging in the wind with egg on their faces as Marrone is out fielding other offers.

Edited by LGB

I have to agree with this. No one knows if Marrone will succeed or not, but it does not look like business as usual at OBD. RW, Jr. never would have made this hire. I am generally pleased with the way this HC search was conducted. Unlike three years ago, the Bills seem to have been on an even playing field with the other teams with HC vacancies. There were no embarrassing leaks that so and so refused even to interview with us, or rejected our offer. We look like a professional organization, for once. I was highly skeptical after last week's press conference due to the retention of Nix, but things are definitely looking up.

Yes, and if and when Nix is no longer our GM as of Game 1 of next season (my prediction) we will look like even more of a current, forward-looking, professional organization.

I believe Nix doesn't fit the "new world order" announced by Brandon. But if he is only temporarily being retained to contribute to the Draft, no big deal.