Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see this as further confirmation nix is on his way out. Marrone is not his kind of guy ... Relatively young, not southern, not from SEC, no chargers connection, no history with nix. Just don't see the two of them fitting.

Ummm....I seem to have read in his bio he coached at Georgia Tech....the curse of Chan returns.

I like this pick...excited about Draft and staff he assembles.

With Marrone we have no OC or DC. Is this for serious? He wasn't a play calling OC for the Saints. I never even thought this was a possibility. I'm shocked

Like that's a bad thing that he won't be calling the plays

The guy was just hired 4 hours ago and you're complaining that he doesn't hv an OC or DC...unbelievable

The announcement of Marrone came at a strange time. Were they trying to beat the NHL announcement headlines or did they want this unpopular decision to get mixed in there with the good news from the NHL?

Or it was announced when the deal got done. What the hell are you trying to say?

For the record I like this move. He is a young up and coming coach and not another retread

If anything it's a different direction then we've been through before and he has NFL experience on Payton's staff which has been a good offense in the NFL

more of my early morning dis-jointed thoughts...

being an SU fan and speaking on behalf of SU fans...Marrone was a GREAT hire for Syracuse 4 years ago...coming off the Robinson era, here comes a former SU player coming back home to re-build the team. He had the overwhelming support of the entire SU fan base(perhaps a bit of a stretch), but being that he was a home-grown guy he was also given a lot of wiggle room. I would equate this to the Bills if we had hired Frank Reich as our Head Coach(or Marv Levy as GM)...a real feel good situation, for the bills only, and would probably get the same support and lee-way as marrone got in Syracuse. I love Marrone as a coach and what he did for SU and wish he stayed at SU. But being a Bills fan, he will have my utmost support in leading this team.

GO BILLS! GO COACH MARRONE! and GO SU!!!

The announcement of Marrone came at a strange time. Were they trying to beat the NHL announcement headlines or did they want this unpopular decision to get mixed in there with the good news from the NHL?

Jumping a little ahead of yourself there. There has been no "announcement" -- none I've seen. These things leak once they get done.

Gotta love the conspiracy theorists...smh

Like that's a bad thing that he won't be calling the plays

The guy was just hired 4 hours ago and you're complaining that he doesn't hv an OC or DC...unbelievable

Use your brain. I'm complaining that he has no credibility. They wouldn't even trust him to call plays as OC in New Orleans. Meanwhile someone like Lovie is a defensive genius and it would be easy to find a good OC to pair with him. Marrone is a nobody

Damn, it's entirely too early to start drinking. :wallbash:

Seriously? This isn't just because I wanted Lovie. I'm not a big fan of the idea of recruiting a college head coach but if we were going to do it, we could have tried getting someone with a slightly more productive program.

Please, someone give me hope for how we're going to get a fix for our QB spot, creatively use our run game and bolster a talented yet underperforming defense.

OK, but did you see my link early in this thread? There would seem to be a strong Brandon/Marrone connection.

I did not, but why is that a bad thing? Russ is highly regarded by most people other than actual Bills fans.

Convincing teenagers to come to Syracuse is one thing. Running an NFL team is another. Of which he has no experience. And you guys are excited? I'm shocked. This guy isn't an offensive OR defensive genius. Unless they have a top notch OC and DC to announce as coming too then we are screwed

There was a piece about a year ago that talked about how the most important part of being a head coach was not the X's and O's part of it, but the management part of it. Delegating responsiblity to others, holding them accountable and taking care of daily management aspects of the team. It would seem Marrone excels at this type of stuff, so I am excited about that. It talked about this was the main reason many very good OC's and DC's are not good head coaches...

Edited by matter2003

"Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon, an East Syracuse native, serves on the Syracuse University Sports Management Advisory Board, and has a measure of familiarity with Marrone."

http://www.buffalobi...c3-7d95b2e98331

So, was this a marketing move, or one of cronyism?

I don't know, but as a Bills Fan I will rally behind him and hope that he is up to the task.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both

I had thought that Marrone could be a serious dark horse candidate for Bills job. I hope he puts together a quality staff. WGR 55 reports that he and Fitz have the same agent. I hate that aspect of this hire . I simply do not want Fitz to return as QB. We cannnot win with hima at QB and he will not want to be a backup. This could contaminate what appears to be a forward thinking hire.