Bills coach search update

I'm OK with #2 ,3, or 4. Cowher at this point,I think he's been gone too long and I'd really question whether he still has the desire. Which could explain who hardly anyone has interviewed him. Wouldn't surprise me to see him never coach again. Gruden supposedly has made it known he wants to coach again, you don't hear that from Cowher.

1. Bill Cowher - Make him an offer he can't refuse and watch how many of the current HC candidates lineup to be his OC/DC. A great motivator and a future HOF HC. He knows how to beat Belichick. He would give us the best chance to become respectable very quickly and stay there for an extended period of time.

2. Mike Holmgren - He too would put together an excellent supporting staff. Very innovative and well connected. Knows how to develop a QB. At least worthy of an interview to see how motivated/committed he is to get back into being an HC.

3. Lovie Smith - He knows how to win in a windy cold weather city. He just got fired for winning 10 reg. season games and has taken his team to the SB.

4. Jon Gruden - Another guy who has been to the SB. Very hungry. Will do what it takes for NFL wins. Knows how to develop a QB.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until he officially takes over as GM, I don't see anything changing for the Bills. No one really knows how much say he does have. Until I see change, it always is in the back of my mind as I said. Those who were around when Ted Cottrell left know how crazy it was he didn't get a serious shot...

FWIW, I always thought Cotrell and Fewell got short shrift. But,doesn't mean it was a color thing. There could be other reasons. Only the inner circle will ever know.

Until he officially takes over as GM, I don't see anything changing for the Bills. No one really knows how much say he does have. Until I see change, it always is in the back of my mind as I said. Those who were around when Ted Cottrell left know how crazy it was he didn't get a serious shot...

Indeed. And of course the fact that no one else offered him an HC job either means nothing.

FWIW, I always thought Cotrell and Fewell got short shrift. But,doesn't mean it was a color thing. There could be other reasons. Only the inner circle will ever know.

You betcha they did... but it is precisely this 'inner circle' that has gotten us to this point. ;)

Indeed. And of course the fact that no one else offered him an HC job either means nothing.

He was a finalist in San Francisco, from what I remember... and yet the Bills gave him nothing like that.

He's actually (Chip Kelly) of the opinion that you need to base your offense on your personnel. And, just because they are a fast offense, doesn't mean it doesn't play good in the cold outdoors. I love the idea of having a team that is OVERPREPARED, that has practiced MUCH harder than everyone else, and is putting the defense on its toes. BTW - another thing Chip said, paraphrasing, is preparation is the key to success. I've heard that mantra spoken before, but you see it working in places like Denver and N.E. - where dominant personalities push everyone else to be as committed.

Silly question that may have some bearing...how many hours can NFL teams practice in season compared to NCAA? I know the NFL is a job, but you can't hit or go full speed much. His team would have organized team activities, training camp (again, not as much practice/hitting as in the past) then season.

Can his philosophy work in the NFL with the allowable practice times?

On Cowher:

He looks like he's having a good time with his cushy tv spot and running around with his rock star GF....

50/50 he ever coaches again....my bet is that he does....makes the NFL better.

Used to love it, way back in the day, when Kordell would screw up and the angry chin would be waiting for him on the sidelines, sneering.

Bill+Cowher+Queen+V+ZO2+Rock+Asylum+Benefit+KDjqoOqJszEl.jpg

Edited by filthymcnasty08

Silly question that may have some bearing...how many hours can NFL teams practice in season compared to NCAA? I know the NFL is a job, but you can't hit or go full speed much. His team would have organized team activities, training camp (again, not as much practice/hitting as in the past) then season.

I'm not sure of the length of practices allowed. But college football allows coaches three hours to practice and Kelly only uses two. It seems inconceivable to me that the NFL rules would say teams have to practice less than two hours.

I agree on the Fewell remark. He got the short shaft. Taking a team that had almost nothing going for it to 3-4 after being injected as the HC is a noteable accomplishment.

I'm not sure of the length of practices allowed. But college football allows coaches three hours to practice and Kelly only uses two. It seems inconceivable to me that the NFL rules would say teams have to practice less than two hours.

:thumbsup: thanks

On Cowher:

He looks like he's having a good time with his cushy tv spot and running around with his rock star GF....

50/50 he ever coaches again....my bet is that he does....makes the NFL better.

Used to love it, way back in the day, when Kordell would screw up and the angry chin would be waiting for him on the sidelines, sneering.

Bill+Cowher+Queen+V+ZO2+Rock+Asylum+Benefit+KDjqoOqJszEl.jpg

Funny part is he looks like he could be the same age if not younger than those other guys. Must be in the bands contract not to smile.

Edited by The Wiz

Keep in mind the Bills must find a HC... not a guy that will come in and want to run the offense or run the defense because that's their area of comfort and expertise. We've just been through 7 years of exactly that. Jauron & Chan were the defacto DC and OC respectively.

Lovie was canned in Chicago because the offense was continually inept and Lovie's strength was D.

It would seem to me Kelly's offense is a 2012 version of the run and shoot. Great in college when you recruit fast players. In the NFL they're all fast and try running the chuck and duck in Buffalo in Nov/Dec. Also, off the top of my head I can't think of any offensive player Kelly has coached whose skills have translated to the NFL. Help me out, I may be wrong.

Bottom line ... think HC.... someone that can bring it ALL together.

That will be a very tough transition for any coach coming out of the college ranks. Even Chan lamented what he was able to accomplish with the practice restrictions that were part of the latest player's union deal.

I wouldn't say it's rare, it just depends on the person. Look at how many first time coordinators fail, a lot.

I'm not for or against College coaches it's all about getting the right guy where ever that may be.

I hear ya..

As far as getting the right guy It almost seems like getting the right Qb is the better decision they better not screw up on this time....Any anti Idiot will do for me this time..:)

That will be a very tough transition for any coach coming out of the college ranks. Even Chan lamented what he was able to accomplish with the practice restrictions that were part of the latest player's union deal.

As stated above, Kelly is renown for his shorter practices not longer. There is no way the NFL doesn't allow teams to practice for two hours, which is how long Kelly's college practices are.

That's what you get when bring in guys like Whaley... it just keeps perpetuating.

LOL that made me really laugh.

I kind of think bringing an already superbowl winning coach hasn't worked for most clubs and that has historically been proven. Also few college coaches turn into the real thing (although I do like what I have read about Kelly) also proven to not be very effective (in most cases). I would go with the up and coming co-ordinator. I really have no favorite ones though. I am at a loss, I kind of like Lovie if he has the right coaches working with him (off. co-ordin.), maybe try a marriage of guys? Lovie and Kelly? IDK, glad, I am not doing the hiring.

BTW QueenV is a a definite, yes I would.

Edited by bowery4