Bills coach search update

I've now come to the point where I don't give a **** who the Bills hire or if they sign guys straight out of prison, I want a freaking championship.

I'll give that an Amen.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The candidates that I would be strongly considering for the Bills' HC position in descending order based upon my argument above include:

1. Bill Cowher - Make him an offer he can't refuse and watch how many of the current HC candidates lineup to be his OC/DC. A great motivator and a future HOF HC. He knows how to beat Belichick. He would give us the best chance to become respectable very quickly and stay there for an extended period of time.

2. Mike Holmgren - He too would put together an excellent supporting staff. Very innovative and well connected. Knows how to develop a QB. At least worthy of an interview to see how motivated/committed he is to get back into being an HC.

3. Lovie Smith - He knows how to win in a windy cold weather city. He just got fired for winning 10 reg. season games and has taken his team to the SB.

4. Jon Gruden - Another guy who has been to the SB. Very hungry. Will do what it takes for NFL wins. Knows how to develop a QB.

This is flawed thinking and here is why. 3 of the coaches on your list have been out of football a long time. Coaching is such an intense consuming activity that it's rare that you can just pick it up after a long hiatus. Also if hiring a coach with a ring is so sure fire why are there more playoff coaches who are first timers? At least Lovie is still fresh off a fairly successful stint. The fire doesn't just light itself back up.

PTR

good point

and no more nice guy coaches. more often than not the best coaches are surly guys who keep you on edge. i admit that of winning coaches i prefer a nice guy coach, but if it takes a jerk to get us winning then give me a jerk. well not a super jerk like somebody who cheats but one of those brooding enigmas would be fine

Per John Murphy:

Ken Whisenhunt interviewed.

Ray Horton to interview tonight.

Chip Kelly interviews Friday.

Mike McCoy over the weekend.

Per other sources:

Doug Marrone next week.

Lovie Smith supposedly contacted the Bills.

PTR

Thats good news. I was beginning to worry they were going to be closed minded and just go with whisenhunt. Glad to see them commiting to being thorough.

LV

This is flawed thinking and here is why. 3 of the coaches on your list (Cowher, Holmgren, Smith, Gruden) have been out of football a long time. Coaching is such an intense consuming activity that it's rare that you can just pick it up after a long hiatus. Also if hiring a coach with a ring is so sure fire why are there more playoff coaches who are first timers? At least Lovie is still fresh off a fairly successful stint. The fire doesn't just light itself back up.

Who says the fire doesn't just light itself back up? Sure no coach has won a SB on 2 different teams or after a layoff. But dick Vermiel came back to coaching after a long time off and took the Rams to a SB win and KC to the AFC Championship game. The Walrus has only been out of coaching for 4 years. He was still heavily involved in football in Cleveland. Not like he's been playing with the grandkids and forgot everything he knew about motivating men and football. Some guys love football and going whole hog at it. Holmgren and Gruden may be like that.

I too think we should be making a run at all the guys ChanOverChin mentions too. I'd take any one of these guys over McCoy or Marone or Kelly or Horton. We've been out too long and taken too many chances that if they would have worked out would have been great but didn't. I'm not feeling lucky rolling the dice again. The chances are better with a proven winner IMHO.

Has a coach that has taken a team to the SB ever gone to another team and sucked? I just want to be relevant again and take the quickest least risky way to get there. The guys ChanOverChin and I like are like that.

Jimmy Johnson (With the Dolphins), though sucking is a pretty strong term for his tenure.

62-7.

Enough said.

I still smile at the very thought, by the way.

Edited by BRH

I have no interest in Lovie Smith. He is completely underwhelming, from personality to performance (No Playoffs 5 of last six years??) It alarms me how much love some Bills fans are giving him.

Ray Horton I like- as a Phoenix resident I can tell you he prepares for every game and you have no idea how bad the Cards offense was this year- to have his D play as well as it did is a miracle.

Don't sleep on Whisenhunt- he did turn around a TERRIBLE Cardinals franchise. Granted Kurt Warner helped, but I have to guess he is the direction the Bills go unless Horton has a rock star interview.

Andy Reid is a no brainer and should be hired tomorrow,

I feel the same way....

Rumor update: Andy Reid is apparently going to sign with KC, and the Bills are considered a longshot with Kelly (but he agreed to the interview, so who knows).

Sometimes the long shot comes in. But I get the feeling the Bills will wind up either with Lovie, or someone not on the mainstream radar (like Gailey was).

Sometimes the long shot comes in. But I get the feeling the Bills will wind up either with Lovie, or someone not on the mainstream radar (like Gailey was).

Completely disagree. The Bills didn't hire Gailey because they were trying to outsmart anyone, they hired him because he was one of the few guys (Billick?) who even wanted the job.

This time around they know they need to make the "right" decision. Now, the guy they really want may choose someone else, but they aren't going to be "tricky" and sign someone off everyone's radar.

I'm goung to flat out say it... I assume that since Lovie Smith is not being interviewed right away, they are not hiring an African American coach. They figure Horton covers their butt under the Rooney Rule is what I see. I hope I am dead wrong, but after Cottrell and Fewell and Lewis not getting a shot, it creeps into my mind and it is sad.

and yet we have an African American GM in waiting, just sayin!! Pretty sure the GM is just as critical and as important, maybe

more, as the HC. Nice try.

Completely disagree. The Bills didn't hire Gailey because they were trying to outsmart anyone, they hired him because he was one of the few guys (Billick?) who even wanted the job.

This time around they know they need to make the "right" decision. Now, the guy they really want may choose someone else, but they aren't going to be "tricky" and sign someone off everyone's radar.

Actually we do agree :) They hired Gailey, a guy off of the mainstream radar, because he would take the job. The Bills could find themselves in the same situation this time around.

I think it boils down to this. If you want to try to win with this roster Lovie Smith is your man. He will get the most out of this roster. He will bring this team to the playoffs. Maybe even win a game. He won't win a Super Bowl, but he will get us back to the playoffs.

Chip Kelly, to me, represents a chance to reinvent football in Buffalo. The team will look a lot different. It will play a lot different and hopefully win a lot more. I think Kelly represents the potential to be in the forefront of a what the NFL will look like for the next 5-10 years.