Bills coach search update

chip kelly wouldnt bring his exact system to the nfl. it would be altered it fit the league out of nessecity. if we had drafted r wilson or rg3 i would be excited but i dont know who is out there.? Lovie tho is more along the traditional lines and the fact he wants to be here is a big plus

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per John Murphy:

Ken Whisenhunt interviewed.

Ray Horton to interview tonight.

Chip Kelly interviews Friday.

Mike McCoy over the weekend.

Per other sources:

Doug Marrone next week.

Lovie Smith supposedly contacted the Bills.

PTR

Mike McCoy baby, get er done!

I keep reading Lovie wants to coach the Bills. Why have we not set up an interview?

Meh, he couldn't get it done with a good QB what's he gona do here.

I can't agree with you more! I've always had a real genius for reading people. I can identify character and he has what it takes to be successful. Very smart - and that is so much a necessity in our division. He reminds me of a Bellicheck, actually.

Just listen to a few interviews. He uses the right words to clearly and concisely communitcate, and he speaks very fast, which reflects how quickly he thinks. And he believes you have to build your offense around personnel! We need that FLEXIBILITY to be open to finding ways that work in defeating Bellicheck.

He's actually (Chip Kelly) of the opinion that you need to base your offense on your personnel. And, just because they are a fast offense, doesn't mean it doesn't play good in the cold outdoors. I love the idea of having a team that is OVERPREPARED, that has practiced MUCH harder than everyone else, and is putting the defense on its toes. BTW - another thing Chip said, paraphrasing, is preparation is the key to success. I've heard that mantra spoken before, but you see it working in places like Denver and N.E. - where dominant personalities push everyone else to be as committed.

He can prepare as much as he wants, but he must stay within the hours perscribed by the NFL players union contract. So much for the preparation argument. Everybody gets the same amount of practice time. No more extra sessions etc.

I can't agree with you more! I've always had a real genius for reading people. I can identify character and he has what it takes to be successful. Very smart - and that is so much a necessity in our division. He reminds me of a Bellicheck, actually.

Just listen to a few interviews. He uses the right words to clearly and concisely communitcate, and he speaks very fast, which reflects how quickly he thinks. And he believes you have to build your offense around personnel! We need that FLEXIBILITY to be open to finding ways that work in defeating Bellicheck.

He's actually (Chip Kelly) of the opinion that you need to base your offense on your personnel. And, just because they are a fast offense, doesn't mean it doesn't play good in the cold outdoors. I love the idea of having a team that is OVERPREPARED, that has practiced MUCH harder than everyone else, and is putting the defense on its toes. BTW - another thing Chip said, paraphrasing, is preparation is the key to success. I've heard that mantra spoken before, but you see it working in places like Denver and N.E. - where dominant personalities push everyone else to be as committed.

He can prepare as much as he wants, but he must stay within the hours perscribed by the NFL players union contract. So much for the preparation argument. Everybody gets the same amount of practice time. No more extra sessions etc.

You can't just win games with a high tempo offense. Who's going to coach the defense, some rookie college coach?? What connections does Kelly have in the NFL??

We need to hire the HC with the BEST supporting coaching staff, NOT just the hottest name in the college game.

Nick Saban was the hottest name in the college game at one time. Miami hired him. How'd that work out??

I would argue that Saban is a better college HC than Kelly.

PTR, to answer your question, I would take the opposite tact. I would look to hire the best NFL experienced HC who could bring the best NFL assistants with him. After all, does a team win only because of the HC or does the supporting staff have a lot to do with it?? Much of the time, it seems to me that the OC and DC are the difference makers. Who's more likely to bring in a better NFL quality OC and DC, Kelly or an experienced NFL HC???

The candidates that I would be strongly considering for the Bills' HC position in descending order based upon my argument above include:

1. Bill Cowher - Make him an offer he can't refuse and watch how many of the current HC candidates lineup to be his OC/DC. A great motivator and a future HOF HC. He knows how to beat Belichick. He would give us the best chance to become respectable very quickly and stay there for an extended period of time.

2. Mike Holmgren - He too would put together an excellent supporting staff. Very innovative and well connected. Knows how to develop a QB. At least worthy of an interview to see how motivated/committed he is to get back into being an HC.

3. Lovie Smith - He knows how to win in a windy cold weather city. He just got fired for winning 10 reg. season games and has taken his team to the SB.

4. Jon Gruden - Another guy who has been to the SB. Very hungry. Will do what it takes for NFL wins. Knows how to develop a QB.

Chip scares me. It's an all or nothing pick

Sounds like presser next Friday.

agreed- but if lovie smith is the fastest way to the playoffs- chip kelly might be the fastest way to a dynasty.

the key is for OBD to make the right decision for the long haul- not nest season.

if they hire kelly- understand it may take some time for him to be successful- but he will need that security in the form of a multi year deal. if he's "the guy" this is the way to proceed.

You can't just win games with a high tempo offense. Who's going to coach the defense, some rookie college coach?? What connections does Kelly have in the NFL??

We need to hire the HC with the BEST supporting coaching staff, NOT just the hottest name in the college game.

Nick Saban was the hottest name in the college game at one time. Miami hired him. How'd that work out??

I would argue that Saban is a better college HC than Kelly.

PTR, to answer your question, I would take the opposite tact. I would look to hire the best NFL experienced HC who could bring the best NFL assistants with him. After all, does a team win only because of the HC or does the supporting staff have a lot to do with it?? Much of the time, it seems to me that the OC and DC are the difference makers. Who's more likely to bring in a better NFL quality OC and DC, Kelly or an experienced NFL HC???

Maybe the search committee will ask that question? I can't imagine them overlooking that.

Maybe the search committee will ask that question? I can't imagine them overlooking that.

They wouldn't overlook that. That could very well be much of the meat of their discussion. Every candidate will have to login to their facebook page and show their friend list.

Chip Kelly is not the answer for the environment that the Bills,play in. The Bills need to go with a veteran NFL HC who can bring an experienced NFL staff with him.

Who is Kelly going to bring with him?? NFL neophytes, that's who.

Let's see NFL neophytes vs Belichick/Brady.

C'mon people.

yeah bc Xs and Os are so different, c'mon dude.