Bills coach search update

The next HC hired by the Bills will determine how long Whaley and Nix stay, now that Ralph is out of the process. I would have met with L. Smith first, he must feel slighted.

I have been pondering this whole situation over the past 48 hours (as have all my fellow armchair GM's) and feel strongly that the Bills have wanted Lovie all along, but since he is on the shortlist of best possible candidates along with Reid, he can almost choose where he wants to land. Think about it, how would you feel if all of a sudden you had this 3 star franchise all up on your ball$$ day one of the postseason? You would have all the leverage, and we all know how we feel when we go to a car lot and run into a desperate salesperson. So I have come to the conclusion that (for once) the Bills are playing this smart and cool and (at least attempting to) negotiate from a position of strength. Lovie would be a perfect fit in Buffalo, he is one off the very few coaches that can capitalize on the defensive talent we have, not squander it (i.e. Wandstadt). He is a players coach similar to Reid, yet not over the top about it like Rex Ryan so we would immediately improve recruiting of free agents which has been a crippling problem as of late. And jeez, just look at our draft position? As to the (legitimate) point about the need for a strong offensive coordinator, just wait and see how many quality candidates line up day one after we sign him. Not to mention, some of the HC candidates who would love to work for him.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a wise guy but what exactly is Chip Kelly doing scheme wise that hasn't already been done in the NFL?

I'll see for myself when I watch the bowl game tonight, but he runs about 15 more plays than even the fastest offenses, and spreads the spread as far as it can be spread, from what I've seen. Anyone else want to chime in?

Actually we do agree :) They hired Gailey, a guy off of the mainstream radar, because he would take the job. The Bills could find themselves in the same situation this time around.

No, I disagree with you because "this time around" there are enough good candidates (and the Buffalo job is attractive enough) that the Bills won't have to settle for the guy who "needs" the job. ;)

Chip Kelly is a terrible pick because...

- No NFL experience whatsoever.

- See Saban, Spurrier and countless others

- 3 yrs experience ad a HC in college

- Hes NEVER developed a QB who has played in the NFL

- Oregon's track record isn't that good in the NFL. (Best QB's- Dan Fouts, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith) (Best Coach's- Norv Turner, Mike Nolan, Gunther Cunningham)

There is nothing about Chip Kelly or Oregon that conveys readiness to succeed in the NFL.

No, I disagree with you because "this time around" there are enough good candidates (and the Buffalo job is attractive enough) that the Bills won't have to settle for the guy who "needs" the job. ;)

We will see. There are good candidates but also a lot of openings. I'm not sold on Buffalo being much more attractive than last time, but I hope you are right :)

I hope the hello you are correct, but I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it.

Chip Kelly is a terrible pick because...

- No NFL experience whatsoever.

- See Saban, Spurrier and countless others

- 3 yrs experience ad a HC in college

- Hes NEVER developed a QB who has played in the NFL

- Oregon's track record isn't that good in the NFL. (Best QB's- Dan Fouts, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith) (Best Coach's- Norv Turner, Mike Nolan, Gunther Cunningham)

There is nothing about Chip Kelly or Oregon that conveys readiness to succeed in the NFL.

Look up "overreaching" in the dictionary.

There's plenty about Chip Kelly to be intrigued about, but obviously there's no guarantee he'll be a successful NFL HC. I simply find it refreshing that for once, the Bills are on the "short list" of interviewing the perceived "hot" candidates.

From what I have read, it's not at all the amount of time he spends on the practice field, it's the tempo and the efficiency of how he runs his practices, which then translates to the tempo and efficiency that his team plays with on game days. Plus the NCAA has a lot of limits on practice time, too.

For example...

EDIT: In fact, doing a little research, it turns out that Kelly's practices are actually the shortest of any coach, and last two hours when college coaches use three hours. ;)

This is a great article about the practices, with a couple nice tidbits. One of which is that the practices are so fast, even the team managers have to tape their ankles. ;) And that Gruden nearly took a job with Oregon just to learn Kelly's offense.

http://www.nytimes.c...anted=all&_r=1

Super interesting article - I really got lost in a tangent of Chip Kelly research last night :D

The two big questions for me are - how will NFL players take to this fast, "new style" practice and what is Kelly's deal on D (or who would he bring in as a coordinator)?

Love the idea of a futuristic offense, but I'm scared by a guy that has never played, coached or even gophered in the NFL...

I don't want Chip Kelly. I echo the concerns of many about his lack of coaching experience in the NFL. Not sure that his spread offense would be successful at the pro level. It is intriguing, but it scares me.

I don't want anyone to take offense to this.. but just because Kelly is a great college coach doesn't equate him to Saban just because he's a great college coach (go irish!), in my opinion its a bit of a lazy comparison. Its like comparing RG3 to Vick just because of obvious features.

How does Chip Kelly remind you of Saban in any way other than they coach winning programs? I'm actually curious, not trying to hurt your point/argument.

If the front office is doing its homework, they are going to grill Kelly on all sorts of questions about his understanding of the differences between NFL and college ball. I feel at least a bit more confident on that front with a team including Whaley and Brandon doing that job.

As stated above, Kelly is renown for his shorter practices not longer. There is no way the NFL doesn't allow teams to practice for two hours, which is how long Kelly's college practices are.

Source?

Not that I don't believe you, but I have met players on the Gophers and the Badgers teams who have run clinics that my kid has been in and they have shared enough of their in-season schedule practices and training regimen that I have an idea of how little time they get off from organized team activities. Even their volunteer and community work comes into play. They are pretty much treated as school property especially when a scholarship is involved. If Chip and Oregon has a different philosophy and approach to their football program it would be radically different than most division I programs and an interesting read.

I am not knocking Chip as a candidate either, just cautious about the coaching challenges that are a part of making the transition from college to the pros if someone has not coached in some capacity at the pro level.

Schedule aside, I think there is still a learning curve that has to be made between coaching college kids where there are several underclassmen waiting for a shot to red shirt and a variety of negative motivational tools at a school's discretion from suspention, booting off a team, or revoking a scholarship compared to trying to motivate and push full grown men who have been drafted, are part of a player's union, and are under contract. I think that is probably the most difficult aspect of the transition from college ranks to the pro's, the flexibility needed to work with older established players.

Chip certainly appears to have the X's and O's down and has served in some coaching capacity in a variety of roles on both sides of the ball and has an outstanding W-L record; I don't think that game planning would be an issue for him. It would be interesting to see what kind of staff he would put together. On the positives I believe he and his staff would probably bring some welcomed energy and fresh ideas and his college level personnel experience would be beneficial in regards to his ability to relate to and coach up younger players and rookies.

Kelly is intriguing, and it certainly is nice to see the Bills at least in the running for the current hot commodity, but I would have a great deal of concern about this hire. The obvious one is who plays QB in this system? Not currently on the Bills roster, thats for sure. The biggest concern is what kind of staff he could bring, particulalry on defense. It seems to me the big issue with transitioning from college to the NFL with no NFL experience or pedigree is the ability to attract proven NFL coaches that bring knowledge and experience of the pro game and can help fill in the gaps of the HC. Very risky hire in my opinion. Exciting, but risky

Good question, because not a lot strikes me off the bat. He's innovative and plays at a ridiculously high tempo which is a weapon in itself, but the whole "he's invented the wheel" thing going on is a bit much.

Its not so much the offense he runs but the way he manages games and situations. I found it coincidental how Brandon talked about analytics in his presser and that is exactly where Kelly excels. He uses a lot of percentages ot go for it in certain 4th down situations rather than punting and or taking field goals, I am making it sound simple but its much more complex than that. That is where he is getting the attention. And I believe Belicheck contacted him rergarding how to combat the offense he runs as it is probably the wave of the future with more athletic QBs being the norm.

I'll see for myself when I watch the bowl game tonight, but he runs about 15 more plays than even the fastest offenses, and spreads the spread as far as it can be spread, from what I've seen. Anyone else want to chime in?

Its about finding the weakness on every play but the tempo is key. My only concern is the wear and tear it puts on your defense when you move the ball that quickly.

Its not so much the offense he runs but the way he manages games and situations. I found it coincidental how Brandon talked about analytics in his presser and that is exactly where Kelly excels. He uses a lot of percentages ot go for it in certain 4th down situations rather than punting and or taking field goals, I am making it sound simple but its much more complex than that. That is where he is getting the attention. And I believe Belicheck contacted him rergarding how to combat the offense he runs as it is probably the wave of the future with more athletic QBs being the norm.

Its about finding the weakness on every play but the tempo is key. My only concern is the wear and tear it puts on your defense when you move the ball that quickly.

he like the small speedt backs, can you imagine what he could do with CJ? "shuttering"

he like the small speedt backs, can you imagine what he could do with CJ? "shuttering"

I've always wanted to see an NFL coach who would go for it on 4th far more often than not when you're within 60 yards of the endzone. Firm believer the numbers would ultimately work in favor for you in the long run. The mental impact on the opponent when you convert is far worse than the mental impact on yourself when you don't. Plus, it puts the defense continually in stress, and wears them down. A Chip Kelly offense, which runs a lot more plays, and faster, would add to that.

I think I'm definitely thinking good thoughts about Kelly in Buffalo. Can't wait to see the bowl game tonight--haven't seen a Duck's game all year.

Kelly reminds me of Saban only because they are both great at the college level. Saban could not transition to the NFL in Miami, maybe Kelly could. I just prefer a NFL track record, Pete Carroll , did good so far, Jim Harbaugh played in the NFL. Just a quess on my part.