Bills coach search update

Per John Murphy:

Ken Whisenhunt interviewed.

Ray Horton to interview tonight.

Chip Kelly interviews Friday.

Mike McCoy over the weekend.

Per other sources:

Doug Marrone next week.

Lovie Smith supposedly contacted the Bills.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get the best Chip Kelly has to be target #1. There are tons of good coaches out there but there are only a few who qualify as "genius". Chip Kelly is an offensive innovator and was one step ahead of all other offenses at the college level. The NFL is trending towards the spread and its where the best talent will be in future years' drafts.

Hiring chip is bold and could lead to mega success. A no brainer IMO

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I keep reading Lovie wants to coach the Bills. Why have we not set up an interview?

Probably because they had the chance to knock off a couple of candidates with one trip to Phoenix, then a quick trip to Denver. Lovie will probably meet next week.

PTR

Chip Kelly reminds me of Steve Spurrier. People speak of how he advised Bill Belicheat but when you have Tom Brady how much advise do you really need.

Tom wouldn't be Tom without Bill as Bill wouldn't be Bill without Tom the stars alighend for those two!

Chip Kelly is not the answer for the environment that the Bills,play in. The Bills need to go with a veteran NFL HC who can bring an experienced NFL staff with him.

Who is Kelly going to bring with him?? NFL neophytes, that's who.

Let's see NFL neophytes vs Belichick/Brady.

C'mon people.

Not to be a wise guy but what exactly is Chip Kelly doing scheme wise that hasn't already been done in the NFL?

Good question, because not a lot strikes me off the bat. He's innovative and plays at a ridiculously high tempo which is a weapon in itself, but the whole "he's invented the wheel" thing going on is a bit much.

If you want to get the best Chip Kelly has to be target #1. There are tons of good coaches out there but there are only a few who qualify as "genius". Chip Kelly is an offensive innovator and was one step ahead of all other offenses at the college level. The NFL is trending towards the spread and its where the best talent will be in future years' drafts.

Hiring chip is bold and could lead to mega success. A no brainer IMO

I can't agree with you more! I've always had a real genius for reading people. I can identify character and he has what it takes to be successful. Very smart - and that is so much a necessity in our division. He reminds me of a Bellicheck, actually.

Just listen to a few interviews. He uses the right words to clearly and concisely communitcate, and he speaks very fast, which reflects how quickly he thinks. And he believes you have to build your offense around personnel! We need that FLEXIBILITY to be open to finding ways that work in defeating Bellicheck.

Chip Kelly is not the answer for the environment that the Bills,play in. The Bills need to go with a veteran NFL HC who can bring an experienced NFL staff with him.

Who is Kelly going to bring with him?? NFL neophytes, that's who.

Let's see NFL neophytes vs Belichick/Brady.

C'mon people.

He's actually (Chip Kelly) of the opinion that you need to base your offense on your personnel. And, just because they are a fast offense, doesn't mean it doesn't play good in the cold outdoors. I love the idea of having a team that is OVERPREPARED, that has practiced MUCH harder than everyone else, and is putting the defense on its toes. BTW - another thing Chip said, paraphrasing, is preparation is the key to success. I've heard that mantra spoken before, but you see it working in places like Denver and N.E. - where dominant personalities push everyone else to be as committed.