Bills coach search update

So San Fran is double secret racist for getting up his hopes.

See, there are so many ways to play this. All equally sensible...

I'm not the only one by far to question the lack of progress in the NFL coaching ranks when it comes to diversity, especially back then. Cottrell retired rather than go through the charade, and the Rooney Rule is regularly abused. Sorry, but I'm not in the thin minority on this.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL that made me really laugh.

I kind of think bringing an already superbowl winning coach hasn't worked for most clubs and that has historically been proven. Also few college coaches turn into the real thing (although I do like what I have read about Kelly) also proven to not be very effective (in most cases). I would go with the up and coming co-ordinator. I really have no favorite ones though. I am at a loss, I kind of like Lovie if he has the right coaches working with him (off. co-ordin.), maybe try a marriage of guys? Lovie and Kelly? IDK, glad, I am not doing the hiring.

I agree on avoiding the allure of previous success... note the Bill Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns and the Jimmy Johnson Corollary...

You are better off catching that guy on his second go-round... a Belichek, say, or even Levy, or an up-and-coming coordinator

But any hire includes risk.

FWIW, I always thought Cottrell and Fewell got short shrift. But,doesn't mean it was a color thing. There could be other reasons. Only the inner circle will ever know.

Indeed. And of course the fact that no one else offered him an HC job either means nothing.

And who could have contemplated that Ted(d) Cottrell would then lead the 2009 New York Sentinels to an 0-6 record?

I agree on the Fewell remark. He got the short shaft.

Hey, hey!!!

No need to get personal here.

I'm goung to flat out say it... I assume that since Lovie Smith is not being interviewed right away, they are not hiring an African American coach. They figure Horton covers their butt under the Rooney Rule is what I see. I hope I am dead wrong, but after Cottrell and Fewell and Lewis not getting a shot, it creeps into my mind and it is sad.

Ralph.... Er, Russ is as racist as they are cheap.

On Cowher:

He looks like he's having a good time with his cushy tv spot and running around with his rock star GF....

50/50 he ever coaches again....my bet is that he does....makes the NFL better.

Used to love it, way back in the day, when Kordell would screw up and the angry chin would be waiting for him on the sidelines, sneering.

Bill+Cowher+Queen+V+ZO2+Rock+Asylum+Benefit+KDjqoOqJszEl.jpg

Is that the Jesus Twins on the left? I always thought they would make it. Feel my Ubiquity rocked.

Edited by HurlyBurly51

I'm not the only one by far to question the lack of progress in the NFL coaching ranks when it comes to diversity, especially back then. Cottrell retired rather than go through the charade, and the Rooney Rule is regularly abused. Sorry, but I'm not in the thin minority on this.

So we should start hiring coaches based on the color of their skin? I, for one, would suggest judging them instead by the content of their character.

I'm not impressed with that list at all. Lovie Smith is the best NFL HC candidate by far on that list.

Have to agree there. Although Chip is very intriguing, I'm just not that excited about rolling the dice that he can duplicate his success in the NFL. Lovie, on the other hand, is a proven NFL coach who probably has something to prove given that he was just made a victim of one the most ill-conceived coach firings that I can remember. The idea of Whisenhunt as HC scares me....feels like fools gold.

Edited by DerekJ

I have no interest in Lovie Smith. He is completely underwhelming, from personality to performance (No Playoffs 5 of last six years??) It alarms me how much love some Bills fans are giving him.

Ray Horton I like- as a Phoenix resident I can tell you he prepares for every game and you have no idea how bad the Cards offense was this year- to have his D play as well as it did is a miracle.

Don't sleep on Whisenhunt- he did turn around a TERRIBLE Cardinals franchise. Granted Kurt Warner helped, but I have to guess he is the direction the Bills go unless Horton has a rock star interview.

Andy Reid is a no brainer and should be hired tomorrow,

I have no interest in Lovie Smith. He is completely underwhelming, from personality to performance (No Playoffs 5 of last six years??) It alarms me how much love some Bills fans are giving him.

Ray Horton I like- as a Phoenix resident I can tell you he prepares for every game and you have no idea how bad the Cards offense was this year- to have his D play as well as it did is a miracle.

Don't sleep on Whisenhunt- he did turn around a TERRIBLE Cardinals franchise. Granted Kurt Warner helped, but I have to guess he is the direction the Bills go unless Horton has a rock star interview.

I don't think Andy Reid would come here, though I like the idea. Really haven't paid enough attention to Horton to have an opinion.

It was after the Pats lost the Cardinals this year that I became intersted in Horton. He has NO FEAR of the Pats or Brady and knew how to beat them- read this article on Horton and the Patriots

http://nesn.com/2012/09/cardinals-defensive-coordinator-ray-horton-says-patriots-were-tipping-offensive-tendencies/

Horton joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday and talked about the plan he crafted specifically for Brady and the Patriots.

"Everything that we did was based on what had they did last year and what we thought they were going to do and a lot of it we took them out of their game plan so they didn't do a ton of it," Horton said. "[The plan] was to confuse Tom Brady, to come up with some things he hasn't seen before, because it is different."

Ray Horton, Arizona Cardinals Defensive Coordinator

Brady only had one touchdown in the Patriots loss, and admittedly was caught off guard.

"I heard through Jay Feely that he talked to Tom Brady after the game and Tom said, 'I have no idea what you guys are doing', and so it did work," Horton said.

It was after the Pats lost the Cardinals this year that I became intersted in Horton. He has NO FEAR of the Pats or Brady and knew how to beat them- read this article on Horton and the Patriots

http://nesn.com/2012...ive-tendencies/

Horton joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Tuesday and talked about the plan he crafted specifically for Brady and the Patriots.

"Everything that we did was based on what had they did last year and what we thought they were going to do and a lot of it we took them out of their game plan so they didn't do a ton of it," Horton said. "[The plan] was to confuse Tom Brady, to come up with some things he hasn't seen before, because it is different."

Ray Horton, Arizona Cardinals Defensive Coordinator

Brady only had one touchdown in the Patriots loss, and admittedly was caught off guard.

"I heard through Jay Feely that he talked to Tom Brady after the game and Tom said, 'I have no idea what you guys are doing', and so it did work," Horton said.

That's a nice coaching job. I'll have to read some more about the guy.

Probably because they had the chance to knock off a couple of candidates with one trip to Phoenix, then a quick trip to Denver. Lovie will probably meet next week.

PTR

Russ Brandon is cheap... Cost Cutting....Littman and Overdorf control the Bills :nana:

Edited by ganesh

You don't want Lovie Smith because of his underwhelming personality and performance but you want Andy Reid? Have you ever seen his pressers? This guy is the epitome of no personality and as for success? Lovie Smith has a ring. How many does Reid have as a HC?

I'm not saying I want Lovie Smith because I don't but if you're going to give a reason for not wanting Lovie, make sure your reasoning makes sense.