Per CBSSports, Bills coaching candidate names emerging...

Big Turk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha.

At this point I'm wondering if Lovie's gonna get an interview with the Bills.

It seems like there has not been a market forming for Lovie.

As far as I know, no team has interviewed him yet. And there are 7 openings.

Well, 6 for him.

But agreed. That 4 out of 6 contacting him seems slow moving. Could still be a matter of geography with AZ being the day one hot spot. He could also fall closer to the weekend allowing him to regroup, assembled candidates for a staff (line up an OC for instance). It still surprises me that whisenhunt is getting hit quicker than he is but... It's early

I just don't see why a "Golden Boy" would choose a team with such a depressing history. Especially in a division that faces the Patriots twice a year.

Ego? Turn this situation around where so many others failed and no one can dispute your accomplishments; fail and you can always point to the organizational shortcomings as you head back to school.

Yeah, but why wasn't he able to figure that out himself in Chi and hire a good OC? I agree of all the names being floated, he's probably the safest and would definitely be an upgrade, but he does worry me some. He also had a decent QB in Chi, a bit of a flack, but could play. Even if the Alex Smith rumors are true, not sure how would work with Lovie. I will say this a slightly conservative HC would wants to run the ball alot wouldn't be the worst considering we have Spiller and a better than average O-line.

Chip Kelly would make the biggest splash, but is risky whether his style will work in the NFL or will be like Spurrier and Saban and leave after one to two years. Guys like McCoy, Horton could be the next Tomlin or the next Greg Williams

Most of the people here who are saying "hire Lovie" are doing so with the caveat that he bring with himself a proven OC.

Do we get to bring the Bears defensive personnel with him? I think that had something to do with Lovie's success. Had solid, if unspectacular QB play as well.

Most of the people here who are saying "hire Lovie" are doing so with the caveat that he bring with himself a proven OC.

I live in Chicago and the consensus is (and I agree 100%) that Lovie is a good guy and an excellent defensive coach, but his track record of awful choices in OC's is what did him in finally. Martz was awful and hired because he was Lovie's friend and Tice was worse. Tice had never called offensive plays in his life and Lovie handed him the keys. Lovie also had a lot of power over personnel decisions and the Bears have not drafted a good QB in forever nor could they ever build even a competent o-line. I do think if Lovie is the hire Urlacher will come with him, but he is a shell of his former self. I just can't get on the Lovie bandwagon, but with that said, I don't really know who I like. I know Kelly would bring a lot of excitement and intrigue, but who could QB that offense coming out of the college ranks or available via free agency? I just have to have faith in Brandon and the brain trust but I am skeptical after years of watching the product put on the field for 20 years.

Yeah, but why wasn't he able to figure that out himself in Chi and hire a good OC? I agree of all the names being floated, he's probably the safest and would definitely be an upgrade, but he does worry me some.

Guys like McCoy, Horton could be the next Tomlin or the next Greg Williams

Williams' first name has two "g"s.

:)

I live in Chicago and the consensus is (and I agree 100%) that Lovie is a good guy and an excellent defensive coach, but his track record of awful choices in OC's is what did him in finally. Martz was awful and hired because he was Lovie's friend and Tice was worse. Tice had never called offensive plays in his life and Lovie handed him the keys. Lovie also had a lot of power over personnel decisions and the Bears have not drafted a good QB in forever nor could they ever build even a competent o-line.

Who Lovie would bring as OC is a huge question. I seem to remember that Ron Turner was a really good OC but he had the misfortune of working with Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton.

By the time Cutler got to Chicago, Turner was gone.

As for the personnel stuff, as with most NFL teams it's hard to separate the work of Lovie from the work of Jerry Angelo. Head Coaches and GMs tend to sink or swim together.

My impression is that Lovie's a really good coach but I can't say that I can speak with authority about his tenure in Chicago.

Williams' first name has two "g"s.

:)

Who Lovie would bring as OC is a huge question. I seem to remember that Ron Turner was a really good OC but he had the misfortune of working with Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton.

By the time Cutler got to Chicago, Turner was gone.

As for the personnel stuff, as with most NFL teams it's hard to separate the work of Lovie from the work of Jerry Angelo. Head Coaches and GMs tend to sink or swim together.

My impression is that Lovie's a really good coach but I can't say that I can speak with authority about his tenure in Chicago.

The GM/HC connection is completely legit and had Lovie not had 2 additional years on his contract he'd have been out last year just as Angelo was shown the door. When that defense was young it was full of playmakers and 2 HOFers in Urlacher and Briggs and they along with Lovie and Ron Rivera was what took them to the Super Bowl. Once Lovie got that Super Bowl appearance under his belt he demanded more control and got it, and he then jettisoned Rivera. Lovie also has always had great special teams and played most games very close to the vest. To me, he is much more like Dick Jauron than anyone realizes. Also, he was dominated by playoff bound teams. Here is a link to a blog post about his tenure that speaks volumes if you ask me...http://www.dabears.c...k-at-Mediocrity

Also, he could not beat Green Bay with any regularity and has lost 8 of the last 9 against them.

Edited by SACTOBILLSFAN

The GM/HC connection is completely legit and had Lovie not had 2 additional years on his contract he'd have been out last year just as Angelo was shown the door. When that defense was young it was full of playmakers and 2 HOFers in Urlacher and Briggs and they along with Lovie and Ron Rivera was what took them to the Super Bowl. Once Lovie got that Super Bowl appearance under his belt he demanded more control and got it, and he then jettisoned Rivera. Lovie also has always had great special teams and played most games very close to the vest. To me, he is much more like Dick Jauron than anyone realizes. Also, he was dominated by playoff bound teams. Here is a link to a blog post about his tenure that speaks volumes if you ask me...http://www.dabears.c...k-at-Mediocrity

Also, he could not beat Green Bay with any regularity and has lost 8 of the last 9 against them.

This is all very interesting.

I always thought his teams played hard and that he overcame marginal personnel on the roster.

But I didn't know how much of the talent deficiency was a result of his own actions.

Thanks for the info and it makes our vetting process a lot of fun.

I think after leaning towards Lovie earlier on (yesterday), I'm starting to drift towards the other candidates.

However with a limited role in personnel and a strong OC, I still wouldn't be opposed to hiring him.

We've seen numerous coaches get worse with more responsibility (Shanahan, Holmgren, etc).

The blog really is interesting reading. In nine seasons with Chicago the Bears were above 500 five times, below three times and had one breakeven 8 - 8 season. Their best years were early in Lovie's time with them. The last two seasons they started strong and ended weak. The blogs really shows a lack of ability to beat good teams. Remember when the Bears went into San Francisco at 7 - 2 this season and got steamrolled by the 49ers. That marked the beginning of the end for their season. Not necessarily a bad choice but not a sure thing either.

The blog really is interesting reading. In nine seasons with Chicago the Bears were above 500 five times, below three times and had one breakeven 8 - 8 season. Their best years were early in Lovie's time with them. The last two seasons they started strong and ended weak. The blogs really shows a lack of ability to beat good teams. Remember when the Bears went into San Francisco at 7 - 2 this season and got steamrolled by the 49ers. That marked the beginning of the end for their season. Not necessarily a bad choice but not a sure thing either.

Last season he lost forte and cutler, this year cutler got beat up. Not being able to protect your qb is an easy way to start hot and fade quick.

Year before - NFC championship game.... Til cutler got hurt.

I smell a trend of success til the line finally gets his qb killed in recent years, and you noted his early success....

Edited by NoSaint

There is almost nothing about Lovie Smith, outside of the report that he would like to come here, that excites me about the guy...I just can't muster anything for him...But I don't think he's the worst option...And from what I can tell in comparison to Jauron, Lovie seems to at least have a pulse... ;)

At least will keep this team competing and into the playoffs....

To me, he is much more like Dick Jauron than anyone realizes.

Bingo! This is what I have been telling people who blindly think Lovie would be a great hire. I don't know, maybe it is something in the Chicago water, but both guys share the same glassy-eyed sideline demeanor. That is not the only similarity, but I do not want to go back to the Jauron era.

At least will keep this team competing and into the playoffs....

Not the last two years. Injuries or not, back to back collapses.

Last season he lost forte and cutler, this year cutler got beat up. Not being able to protect your qb is an easy way to start hot and fade quick.

Year before - NFC championship game.... Til cutler got hurt.

I smell a trend of success til the line finally gets his qb killed in recent years, and you noted his early success....

Yes he lost Cutler last year but this year the fade was a direct result of playing good teams IMO and the charter franchise of the NFL has been bordering irrelevance for the last 6 years.

but both guys share the same glassy-eyed sideline demeanor.

Sideline demeanor? Really? Basing your decision on that?

Coaches of all personality types on the sidelines have won it all. Matters not IMHO. HOF Tom Landry, 5 NFC Titles, 2 SuperBowl wins was probably the most boring guy on the sidelines ever. Mike Holmgren - 3 NFC Titles 1 SuperBowl win was also boring on the sidelines. Tom Coughlin is more energetic and has 2 superbowl wins. Madden has one as well. So what?

The only similarities I see between Lovie and Dick are that they both used to coach in Chicago. Lovie has 1 NFC Championship and many playoff appearance and a career winning record. What did dick do again? NO COMPARISON.

Yes he lost Cutler last year but this year the fade was a direct result of playing good teams IMO and the charter franchise of the NFL has been bordering irrelevance for the last 6 years.

the fade was the direct result of rotating that oline the 2nd half of the year. everyone was hurt. Lost Lance Louis (our best mediocre olineman), benched Carimi and replaced him with Scott, then made Carimi a guard b/c Spencer went down. put in James Brown from off the street. It was a joke what was happening on that line. Cutler getting cheap shotted into a concussion during the Houston game and then missing the SF game didn't help. No way Campbell (or anyone else for that matter) could play behind that line. Campbell was sacked 5 times by Aldon Smith, for God's sake!

bordering on irrelevance for 6 years is a bit extreme too. they won the NFC North in 2010. and were 7-3 before Cutler and Forte went down. no reason to think they couldn't have made the playoffs last year with Cutler and Forte in. If we wouldn't have split with MN, we'd be there this year instead of them. Not really so irrelevant.

Edited by Chicagoan