Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who said that?

Doug Whaley has presided over 3 poor drafts. I too was excited upon his arrival but the proof is in the pudding -- college scouting has been relatively poor under his watch and I take little solace knowing that he's going to take over "at some point." .

haha... Now Whaley is responsible. Last page it was Nix.

When everybody sucks... no one will suck.

Maybe having Brandon in charge will force Nix to take the full 12 minutes and actually pick up the phone when other teams call while the Bills are on the clock.

Maybe an Analytics Dept. will tell the top brass that drafting running backs before Round 3 is unnecessary.

These kinds of things.

Seriously...we need to decide who we're blaming...Ralph? Buddy? Chan? Whaley?

Maybe having Brandon in charge will force Nix to take the full 12 minutes and actually pick up the phone when other teams call while the Bills are on the clock.

Maybe an Analytics Dept. will tell the top brass that drafting running backs before Round 3 is unnecessary.

These kinds of things.

He better not take 12 minutes...they only get 10.

Oh, and I'm okay with taking a RB in round 1 if it's CJ Spiller.

Nix was undoubtedly the lead, but Whaley was undoubtedly part of it. When well-run organizations have similar results that of the Bills, they clean house. The Bills, on the other hand, make small cosmetic changes and their fans continue to fill the seats.

And that's why the playoff drought has reached record levels. If fans like you are ok with this, more power to you. I think you deserve better. :)

Oh I get it; just saying that if it's a game-breaker like Spiller, it's a different story than taking a Rashard Mendenhall or a Lawrence Maroney.

Not to dredge up this debate again - but while Spiller is a premier player, he was not the right pick for this team at that time. The goal is to get to the playoffs. You do that by rounding out the roster. Drafting a RB in the top ten when you already have two good backs on the roster is precisely the kind of mistake an enamored scout/first-time GM would make.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

No man, it is all Fitz's fault. And defense is all mario's fault because he is overpaid. And the conditioning staff that lets players get injured. and that other guy

Ah...I knew it was something like that.

Not to dredge up this debate again - but while Spiller is a premier player, he was not the right pick for this team at that time. The goal is to get to the playoffs. Drafting a RB in the top ten when you already have two good backs on the roster is precisely the kind of mistake an enamored scout/first-time GM would make.

I'm okay agreeing to disagree on that one...I felt like the team was bad enough where they just needed offensive weapons in the worst way, and he was easily the best one available.

Looking back on how that first round played out, there really isn't a guy that I'd rather have that was picked after Spiller...maybe Demaryius Thomas, but we'd need a QB for that to matter...possibly JPP, but he had a very ordinary year in comparison to 2011

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2010&round=round1#round1

Edited by thebandit27

So if they cleaned house then what?? I've heard two names thrown out for the GM spot, the guy from Atlanta Cardwell I believe was the name. He and Whaley share one big thing in common, you have no clue about either of them how they will handle being the guy now. Atlanta has drafted well, but does that mean Cardwell will be great for the Bill's. Using that logic you could argue that G Williams and MM both came from successful organizations as did TD in Tenn and Pitt, but neither worked out very well. The other name is Bill P. Well his drafts the last few years haven't been all that great, in fact you could argue most of his success came prior to free agency and when he didn't get to draft Peyton Manning.

If we had cleaned house we'd all be drooling over signing a guy like Whaley as the GM

Would I have preferred they can BN, sure, though still not all that convinced it won't happen in May anyway but whether Whaley takes over or someone else, in about three years afterwards you'll know if they made a good choice and theres as much chance of it being good or bad whether it was Whaley or someone else.

Nix was undoubtedly the lead, but Whaley was undoubtedly part of it. When well-run organizations have similar results that of the Bills, they clean house. The Bills, on the other hand, make small cosmetic changes and their fans continue to fill the seats.

And that's why the playoff drought has reached record levels. If fans like you are ok with this, more power to you. I think you deserve better. :)

Hello Everyone...my first post but, I have been lurking for a few years :ph34r:. Imo, the Bills are making much better choices than in the past.

The Bills could have kept Chan, and not give RB full control. Then where would we be? Might not seem like alot to some but, these changes in themselves are big. The org seems more commited to winning than I've seen in the last 20 years. That to me, is progress.

There's an old saying , 'Don't throw the baby out with the bath water' and perhaps, this saying may apply to what kind of changes we are seeing with the Bills these last couple of days.

Happy New Year to All!

So if they cleaned house then what?? I've heard two names thrown out for the GM spot, the guy from Atlanta Cardwell I believe was the name. He and Whaley share one big thing in common, you have no clue about either of them how they will handle being the guy now. Atlanta has drafted well, but does that mean Cardwell will be great for the Bill's. Using that logic you could argue that G Williams and MM both came from successful organizations as did TD in Tenn and Pitt, but neither worked out very well. The other name is Bill P. Well his drafts the last few years haven't been all that great, in fact you could argue most of his success came prior to free agency and when he didn't get to draft Peyton Manning.

If we had cleaned house we'd all be drooling over signing a guy like Whaley as the GM

Would I have preferred they can BN, sure, though still not all that convinced it won't happen in May anyway but whether Whaley takes over or someone else, in about three years afterwards you'll know if they made a good choice and theres as much chance of it being good or bad whether it was Whaley or someone else.

TD actually built a top 3 defense. While he failed to land a solid head coach, his fresh approach did the team a lot of good. I don't claim to know much about Caldwell or Roman from the 49ers. All I know is that I'd trust Russ Brandon to interview them and determine the right fit. Let's plug someone out of a successful organization and let him give this thing a shot. The Colts did this with Ryan Grigson, hiring him away from Philadelphia. The Rams did this with Les Snead, hiring him away from Atlanta. The Browns are about to do this, as are the Jags, Cardinals and Chargers.

Perhaps Whaley truly is a great personnel man and bears no responsibility for the abysmal front office decisions these past 3 years. I find that hard to believe, but I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I see we have entered the "Whaley sucks" phase of our discussion.

PTR

Whaley doesn't suck by any means. I just think the Bills and their loyal fans deserve better than someone who "doesn't suck." Looks like I'm in the minority :)

Not to dredge up this debate again - but while Spiller is a premier player, he was not the right pick for this team at that time. The goal is to get to the playoffs. You do that by rounding out the roster. Drafting a RB in the top ten when you already have two good backs on the roster is precisely the kind of mistake an enamored scout/first-time GM would make.

Best player available. Have no problem with that pick, as it's one of the very few Buddy Nix picks that have materialized.

and there lies the problem with building the foundation before taking a qb, as nix publicly stated his plan to be. they need to be taken when they're there, not when a gm thinks they should be there. this strategy alone should've got him fired.

Yep. And this is the guy who apparently will be in charge of identifying our new franchise QB this year. That is why I'm not doing somersaults over today's news.

Are you suggesting that Russ Brandon has as much impact on winning and losing as the janitor? Come on man.

He's the CEO of the damn team. While he doesn't have the same degree of impact as a coach or GM, he certainly needs to be held accountable when the team loses. I think Smithers wants the best for the team but is he the best man for the job? With no playoffs since 1999 everything should be on the table.

You are making my point. You assume Russ is the problem because he is part of the Bills management team, even though his area (up till today) is sales and marketing. Oh well, looks like "Smithers" will be around for a while. Better find a new team to root for.

PTR