Kyle Shanahan and Geno Smith = The perfect combo

SBUffalo

Kyle is the son of the well-known Mike Shanahan, and he has been around the NFL for a while. He's young so we could build around him for a while. He's somebody we could use to build this "continuity" thing everybody is talking about.

The wonders he has done with Robert Griffin this season is amazing. Sure, Geno Smith isn't a carbon copy of Robert Griffin, but Geno is very mobile and has a strong arm. K. Shanahan could help turn him into a legit NFL starter. I believe that if we land a top 5 pick and the Chiefs pass on Geno he'll be ours. While I haven't gotten around to figuring out who I want as our coach yet, I think this would be a great offseason for us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle is the son of the well-known Mike Shanahan, and he has been around the NFL for a while. He's young so we could build around him for a while. He's somebody we could use to build this "continuity" thing everybody is talking about.

The wonders he has done with Robert Griffin this season is amazing. Sure, Geno Smith isn't a carbon copy of Robert Griffin, but Geno is very mobile and has a strong arm. K. Shanahan could help turn him into a legit NFL starter. I believe that if we land a top 5 pick and the Chiefs pass on Geno he'll be ours. While I haven't gotten around to figuring out who I want as our coach yet, I think this would be a great offseason for us.

The chance of us getting Geno Smith is pretty slim. Two QB needy teams are ahead of us and with slotted salaries, the Jaguars are not going to let him get past them. And without a sure fire QB, HC candidates like Shanahan and Arians will stay away from Buffalo. THey know that they have no chance to win with Fitz. We are going to be stuck with another run-of-the mill coaches. That is why I would like the Bills to make a play for Bobby April. Not many teams are going to give him a chance. He is a fiery coach who has his unit @ the top in Seattle, Buffalo and Philadelphia. He can go ahead and bring in some up coming QB/WR coach to be the OC. The key will to be able to get a good DC. Are any of the HC that are likely to be fired be a good DC candidate and will run a 4-3.

Geno is not RG3, he doesn't run very much if at all, but what he does do is use his mobility to find the open man downfield. Furthermore, he has the ACCURACY, to put the ball in the right place. Shannahan and Smith would be a great pair, but not because of what KS has done with RG3.

As of now, there are too many QB-needy teams ahead of them. Even if Tim Tebow is sent to Jacksonville, KC, Oakland, Philly, & Arizona are ahead of Buffalo in the draft order right now. If the Bills win this week, it's possible the Jets will jump ahead of them, too.

I'm still intrigued by the possibility of Geno Smith, but unless the Bills trade up, he won't fall to them. Buddy will have to make a move like the Redskins did last year to get to 2nd and pick Griffin.

Geno is not RG3, he doesn't run very much if at all, but what he does do is use his mobility to find the open man downfield. Furthermore, he has the ACCURACY, to put the ball in the right place. Shannahan and Smith would be a great pair, but not because of what KS has done with RG3.

Actually, Bruce Airans has coached a very similar QB in Ben Rothelisberger. Big Ben does not run with the ball, but moves around to let his WRs open so that he can make plays. They may be a better team.

I don't get the Smith hype; didn't he really stink it up against good competition this past year?

Corrert. Geno Smith would be a huge reach, especially if we trade up and lose next years #1 to get him (which would be required, at least). I say take Barkley, he is the most ready from an NFL standpoint with our normal pick and go from there. Or someone else with a major league arm. Dump Fitz and get a veteran like Vick to run the show while Barkley gets ready.

Corrert. Geno Smith would be a huge reach, especially if we trade up and lose next years #1 to get him (which would be required, at least). I say take Barkley, he is the most ready from an NFL standpoint with our normal pick and go from there. Or someone else with a major league arm. Dump Fitz and get a veteran like Vick to run the show while Barkley gets ready.

Barkley? Seriously???? He's just as overrated as Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, and Todd Marinovich.

I think Smith is the better option because he has the arm strength & accuracy, and has at least played in weather colder than 60 degrees.

Kyle Shanahan is decent at best. He was pretty bad before this season. I live in the Redskins' market, so I see all their games. I think their succes has a lot more to do with RGIII than it does Kyle.

I have to agree. I am also in the DC market and see all of the games. Most of the fans would love to keep Mike Shanahan but get rid of Kyle. Kyle's play calling is on par with Gailey's. If it wasn't for dad he wouldn't be where he is. I like you would give him average on a good day. There are better choices out there. Edited by VADC Bills

I wouild love to see geno Smith in a Bills uniform, although I doubt he drops to where we will draft. Can we go up and get him -- maybe, but it'll cost alot, probably more that it's worth. The Bills have too many holes. As from Kyle Shanahan, I don't think he's head coach material yet. He's done some dumb things in his tenure at Washington that you don't expect to see in a head coach. He has gotten alot out of RGIII, but when given a golden goose, all you can say is he put him in a system that works for him. It's not brain science.

I think Geno is a nice "sports wet dream" for Bill's fans, but not worth trading the farm for. If he fell to us, I would take him in an instant. But we have way too many needs to fill to trade away our present and our near future for with an RG3 type trade. Geno has potential, but not RG3 quality potential.. Considering the quantity (not necessarily the quality) of QBs in this draft after Smith, I still think we should fill our needs in the first with BPA at LB or WR in the first if Geno is not available on our turn. Then draft a 2nd level QB in both the 2nd and 3rd and hope for the best. Later,possibly even trading back into the later 1st with our 2nd and whatever reasonable other compensation is required, if our front office feels a QB is there and won't still be there with our 2nd, and is worth the cost.

This topic is very frustrating for 2 reasons

1: Geno Smith isn't RG3. Yes they are both black but that is about it. Geno Smith is a pure pocket passer he doesn't run and make plays with his feet.

2: Kyle Shanahan isn't Mike Shanahan. Yes they are both named Shanahan and neither has had success without an elite qb. Kyle was to be run out of town last year when John Beck and Rex Grossman were his qbs. I do not want Kyle Shanahan who probably wouldn't be an oc without his dad being the coach (his first break was with the Texans - Kubiak got started under Mike). I just don't see him as a great coach (yet)

:death:

Gino is not RG3

True...And I'm guessing that's a negative?

Geno is MUCH more of a Pass 1st QB...And granted he does not have RGIII's sick athletic ability...But Geno is plenty athletic...It could be argued that Geno is more NFL ready than RGIII, and that his playing style will help him stay healthy longer...Smith is also super dedicated to football...

Too bad he's going #1 overall...I'd give anything to see Geno in Buffalo... B-)