Fitz will be on this team for awhile... only a 450,000 savings if cut

95altima12

Very much contradicts the idea that we'd avoid a LARGE bonus due in march, and that there's not much left guaranteed. Almost every report has said he will be on the block early this spring for a decision.

Also keep in mind even if the numbers are accurate, cash savings is still cash savings and taking a prorated acceleration this year will clear that off future years books. It may only save 450k under the 2012 cap but will keep millions in the war chest and clear future dollars off

If I had to guess, he stays to groom though, but not due to those numbers.

Edited by NoSaint

Very much contradicts the idea that we'd avoid a LARGE bonus due in march, and that there's not much left guaranteed. Almost every report has said he will be on the block early this spring for a decision.

Also keep in mind even if the numbers are accurate, cash savings is still cash savings and taking a prorated acceleration this year will clear that off future years books. It may only save 450k under the 2012 cap but will keep millions in the war chest and clear future dollars off

If I had to guess, he stays to groom though, but not due to those numbers.

This is saying there would be 10 mil dead money wouldn't that be gauaranteed money?

This is saying there would be 10 mil dead money wouldn't that be gauaranteed money?

Seemingly pro rated signing bonus would be my guess but I thought he primarily got it via roster bonus and salary boost when he signed to avoid this very discussion. Him being unable to reasonably be cut contradicts every report we've had on the contract.

Edited by NoSaint

+ 1 ??

you can't pay a backup QB $8 9 10 million a year to sit on the bench.

He would be a starter for a year or two.

Seemingly pro rated signing bonus would be my guess but I thought he primarily got it via roster bonus and salary boost when he signed to avoid this very discussion. Him being unable to reasonably be cut contradicts every report we've had on the contract.

Well don't get em wrong that is great news if true but is there a link anywhere saying that we would be able to get out of his contract easy? I just don't see a Harvard guy letting his agent put him into a contract that like that.

He would be a starter for a year or two.

Well don't get em wrong that is great news if true but is there a link anywhere saying that we would be able to get out of his contract easy? I just don't see a Harvard guy letting his agent put him into a contract that like that.

It's obviously a trade. He'd get a bit more dough but it'd be easier to get out of if the money wasn't earned. Additionally cash to cap by its very nature avoids these hits by not giving big signing bonuses that prorate and instead doing salary and roster bonuses that hit in the given year. Nothing like we were pulling one over on him being implied.

dug a little, and it looks like fitz got a 10m signing bonus. if thats spread over 5 years (the standard) and 2 years are already paid than we should see 6m in dead space with acceleration. any bonuses ive found going forward are only guaranteed for injury, not skill so they should be out the window.

and like i said earlier, even if it hits the cap this year, it keeps 10m in the war chest and saves us from cap acceleration that would likewise occur next year. if hes gone i think hes got minimal, if any, future money actually going into his pocket and any cap hit is just an accounting measure. still trying to find a really solid source, but with these contracts theres often some differences from site to site.

i think we keep him still, but i dont think it will be due to the cap hit to cut him.

Edited by NoSaint

He'll be here next year and most likely the starter unless Nix gets tricky and pulls off a trade for Rivers. He's the only QB that is available or could be had Thats worth the starting spot.

No to Flacco, Vick, Skelton, Flynn, Any rookie.

If Futz is here, he'll be the starter unless Rivers is in town. Bank on it.

It's seldom a good idea to have your entrenched starter relegated to backup while grooming his replacement. The Bills can cut Fitz without it hurting too much by avoiding having to pay his March bonus. His contract wouldn't be a reason to just hold onto him at this point. I just don't see how they can bring him back with any credibility.

He's a great guy and all, but the Fitz experiment is most likely over at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

He'll be here next year and most likely the starter unless Nix gets tricky and pulls off a trade for Rivers. He's the only QB that is available or could be had Thats worth the starting spot.

No to Flacco, Vick, Skelton, Flynn, Any rookie.

If Futz is here, he'll be the starter unless Rivers is in town. Bank on it.

what if all the rookies are better? much like 80% of the young qb's of the last 2-3 years

rookie time! lets do it!

I still think we don't give him enough credit for what he brings to the team. "O" line hasn't been solid for a whole year for so long I forget. Last week we saw what happens when 40% of the "O" line starts for the first time. It all starts up front. His recievers this Year?? Please. Not the best for sure. Sure he misses a throw now and than. They all do. He is a good leader and we should cut some slack because the team has let him down also. Amen! Go Bills

Just recall, Aaron Rodgers was a #1, and sat for 3 years before playing. OK, he was behind Farve...but, still...at least one year of grooming is appriopriate to save on field education mistakes.

Means nothing - qbs are coming to the league more ready than ever. It's now a case by case basis, not a hard rule. Some rookies have displayed more consistent play than fitz both in physical and mental talent.

http://nyjetscap.com...s/bills2013.php

My guess is he will be cut after 2014... That's when we save some money. Plus he is a smart player and good guy I think he will help groom a QB we draft this year... And back him up/help him in the 2014 season.

How do you meaure lost opportunity costs?

I don't dislike him, but he's not the guy. Cut losses and move on.

Means nothing - qbs are coming to the league more ready than ever. It's now a case by case basis, not a hard rule. Some rookies have displayed more consistent play than fitz both in physical and mental talent.

True, but it goes both ways.

You can look at the success of rookie QB's like Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ben Roethlisberger & Matt Ryan.

Then look at rookie QB's like Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, David Carr & Tim Couch.

its cap dollars, not real dollars. Also, this site is giving a cap number with the bonus prorated, which the Bills allegedly don't do.

True, but it goes both ways.

You can look at the success of rookie QB's like Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ben Roethlisberger & Matt Ryan.

Then look at rookie QB's like Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, David Carr & Tim Couch.

That's why I said it was a case by case basis. For both the vet and the rookie.