Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs

papazoid

Why are they trying to take kickoffs out of the game? Do players really get hurt that much on kickoffs? It can be one the most exciting plays in football. Put the spot to kickoff back to where it used to be and stop this nonsense.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wildcat to Brad Smith...

Its also further proof that all the league wants is a big passing game and the ability ti control the outcome(PI, roughing the passer, playing the Pats).

I think it'll backfire. Its going to be a running league in 3 years.

Do that many players actually get hurt on kickoffs since the wedge was outlawed? I would argue blindside hits on turnovers cause way more injuries. Make any player have to initiate a block with his hands first outside of the LOS area and the injuries will go down. No blindsides while leading with your shoulder.

This would be the gridiron answer to playing "buckets," gents! You make it, you take it! Aside from the obvious change in kickoff, it would change the entire dynamic of a game when a team gets down in the second half. If their offense gets rolling, they could convert a couple of 4th and 15's and never relinquish possession. Much more doable than converting a couple of onside kicks.

This is an excellent idea.

Although it would have to be atleast 4th and 20.

I love it.

This is will add to the game at the same time take away the high speed collisions on kickoffs.

They would need to figure out the penalty situation.

A defensive holding penalty shouldn't result in an automatic first down. A personal foul shouldn't result in a first down.

You actually have to move the ball the 20 yards.

I like where they are going with this.

You can't just give the team the ball on the 20 because it takes away the onside kick or the chance for a team to get the ball back when they are behind.

So a team scores and then gets the ball on their own 30 looking at 4th and "at least 20"---and they're not going to punt nearly every time? The likelihood of converting is very low (someone cited 20% above). If you're ahead, your going to allow an 80% chance the other team gets the ball at your 30? If you're behind?

And while we're at it, they should move all games indoors, and make the ball perfectly round, and only play with 5 guys on each side, and instead of scoring a touchdown or field goal, you have to throw the ball throw a metal ring, and if you touch an opposing player 5 times you get kicked out of the game...

And while we're at it, they should move all games indoors, and make the ball perfectly round, and only play with 5 guys on each side, and instead of scoring a touchdown or field goal, you have to throw the ball throw a metal ring, and if you touch an opposing player 5 times you get kicked out of the game...

Where do you come up with these ideas!

What if a player makes it the metal ring from a really far distance? That should be worth more than if the player is really close.

Also its hard tell if something goes through a thin metal ring from the stands. You need a bag or some netting or something to tell if the Ball went through the ring or not.

Do that many players actually get hurt on kickoffs since the wedge was outlawed? I would argue blindside hits on turnovers cause way more injuries. Make any player have to initiate a block with his hands first outside of the LOS area and the injuries will go down. No blindsides while leading with your shoulder.

This is a good suggestion as long as we can allow for form tackling on the ball-carrier. You know, shoulder into the chest/gut with arms wrapping up.

Sean Gregory of TIME writes that one of the options being considered for replacing kickoffs entails giving the ball to the team that would have been kicking off at its own 30, automatically facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise.

In other words, the kickoff would be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion roughly half the distance of Ray Rice’s recent catch-and-run.

http://profootballta...acing-kickoffs/

That's just retarded. Just leave the game alone Roger this isn't the girlscouts.

love that movie, watched it a dozen times.

The idea would be to remove completely the high-speed, open-field collisions between large men who dip their heads instinctively at impact and place extra pressure on the C3-C4 area of the spine. While other injuries would be possible during the punt play that replaces the kickoff, the risk of catastrophic injury would be reduced.

players dip their heads on every play kickoffs are no different, Roge just needs to stop now before he takes tackling out of the game.

The idea would be to remove completely everything that makes football football. The pussification of the sport continues

this

To me it is simple.... NFL is a dangerous game, however you know this ahead of time, you are not forced to play in it, and you are well compensated for this risk.

Coal miners and ocean fisherman have jobs at least 10 times as dangerous and I have no doubt they don't receive nearly as much compensation and are certainly not showered with hot women and other amenities that come along with the god status of an NFL star.

Basically if you're worried about being paralyzed or killed don't play the f'ing game.

and this

Why are they trying to take kickoffs out of the game? Do players really get hurt that much on kickoffs? It can be one the most exciting plays in football. Put the spot to kickoff back to where it used to be and stop this nonsense.

exactly!

I don't mind this idea. As it is now we go to commercial, see a kicker kick the ball out of the endzone and then go back to commercial.

Is it just me or do players rarely get hurt on kickoffs? I would think that more players would get hurt on a 4th and 15. Whether a QB or WR being hit in the head or a lineman getting a knee or ankle rolled up on.

And don't get me started on how an 'illegal contact, 5 yard penalty, AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN' penalty would ruin this. The way the Refs call games so tight these days about 75% of these would be converted via stupid penalties.

But again, players don't really get hurt on kickoffs. Its just like that horsecollar tackle. I have seen one player in the history of football injured that way - TO - and the very next year these bozos at the NFL ourlaw it. What gives?

My guess is it's just you. The NFL wouldn't be instituting these rule changes if they didn't have data that suggests there's a much higher rate of injury on kickoffs. Do you really think they're changing things just to change them?

I do agree with you about teams getting first downs via penalties in this situation. They could always implement a rule saying the team has to gain 15 yards on the play to get the 1st down. Any penalty simply moves the ball up field but it's still 4th and 15 (i.e. there are no automatic 1st downs on this play.)

Wildcat to Brad Smith...

Its also further proof that all the league wants is a big passing game and the ability ti control the outcome(PI, roughing the passer, playing the Pats).

I think it'll backfire. Its going to be a running league in 3 years.

It's already started with the 9ers and Tampa :thumbsup:

I am not clear that injuries on special teams plays, specifically kick offs, occur more frequently than other plays. From what I've observed you get most of the injuries with lineman in tight at the line of scrimmage, with runners getting cut low, and receivers being hit hard where a player on either side of the ball might be injured.

I think they've done enough to take kick offs out of the game. Many games have no returns regardless of how much scoring there is during the game.

My idea would be to put the ball on the 20 on kick offs that get downed in the end zone and on the 30 for kick offs that land past the end line. A ball bouncing out of the back or side of the end zone would be put on the 20.

I think the game needs MORE kicking not less kicking. What about about awarding 1 or 2 points for a field goal that can be punted in from anywhere during a running of a play from scrimmage. Would bring excitement back into the two minute drill and you would need a whole bunch of kicking skilled players on your roster to exploit the rule. Most important it would help sell the game internationally to soccer and rugby fans. The kicking aspect of the game is utterly arbitrary as it is and this would actually help harmonize the kicking and non-kicking elements.