Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs

papazoid

Sean Gregory of TIME writes that one of the options being considered for replacing kickoffs entails giving the ball to the team that would have been kicking off at its own 30, automatically facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise.

In other words, the kickoff would be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion roughly half the distance of Ray Rice’s recent catch-and-run.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/06/goodell-floats-novel-idea-for-replacing-kickoffs/

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate the idea. It is a lot easier to convert 15 yards than recover an onside kick.

Not to mention the increased probability of penalties allowing the scoring team to keep the ball therefore allowing the refs even more power to significantly affect the outcome of a game.

Seems like a pretty bad idea to me.

Agree with Mike. We would NEVER get the Pats off the field. Should be 4th and 30.

perfect video!!

I seem to recall a game from the past, not sure when it was, where the Pats had 20 yards in penalties on the first 2,3,4 plays of the game. 1st and 30. 33 yard pass to Branch.

And yes, it was against us.

Edited by The Wiz

Onside kicks in the NFL are successful 26% of the time. It’s true, but it’s also very misleading. Onside kick success rates are very dependent on whether the receiving team is expecting one. When teams are expecting it, the success rate is about 20%. But when teams aren’t expecting it, the success rate averages 60%.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/onside-kicks.html

the same folks analyzed 4th & 15.....and claim about a 20% success rate....

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/09/4th-down-study-part-3.html

The idea would be to remove completely the high-speed, open-field collisions between large men who dip their heads instinctively at impact and place extra pressure on the C3-C4 area of the spine. While other injuries would be possible during the punt play that replaces the kickoff, the risk of catastrophic injury would be reduced.

This is an excellent idea.

Although it would have to be atleast 4th and 20.

I love it.

This is will add to the game at the same time take away the high speed collisions on kickoffs.

They would need to figure out the penalty situation.

A defensive holding penalty shouldn't result in an automatic first down. A personal foul shouldn't result in a first down.

You actually have to move the ball the 20 yards.

I like where they are going with this.

You can't just give the team the ball on the 20 because it takes away the onside kick or the chance for a team to get the ball back when they are behind.

The idea would be to remove completely the high-speed, open-field collisions between large men who dip their heads instinctively at impact and place extra pressure on the C3-C4 area of the spine. While other injuries would be possible during the punt play that replaces the kickoff, the risk of catastrophic injury would be reduced.

The idea would be to remove completely everything that makes football football. The pussification of the sport continues

The idea would be to remove completely everything that makes football football. The pussification of the sport continues

To me it is simple.... NFL is a dangerous game, however you know this ahead of time, you are not forced to play in it, and you are well compensated for this risk.

Coal miners and ocean fisherman have jobs at least 10 times as dangerous and I have no doubt they don't receive nearly as much compensation and are certainly not showered with hot women and other amenities that come along with the god status of an NFL star.

Basically if you're worried about being paralyzed or killed don't play the f'ing game.

Is it just me or do players rarely get hurt on kickoffs? I would think that more players would get hurt on a 4th and 15. Whether a QB or WR being hit in the head or a lineman getting a knee or ankle rolled up on.

And don't get me started on how an 'illegal contact, 5 yard penalty, AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWN' penalty would ruin this. The way the Refs call games so tight these days about 75% of these would be converted via stupid penalties.

But again, players don't really get hurt on kickoffs. Its just like that horsecollar tackle. I have seen one player in the history of football injured that way - TO - and the very next year these bozos at the NFL ourlaw it. What gives?

Edited by peterpan

To me it is simple.... NFL is a dangerous game, however you know this ahead of time, you are not forced to play in it, and you are well compensated for this risk.

Coal miners and ocean fisherman have jobs at least 10 times as dangerous and I have no doubt they don't receive nearly as much compensation and are certainly not showered with hot women and other amenities that come along with the god status of an NFL star.

Basically if you're worried about being paralyzed or killed don't play the f'ing game.

Exactly!!! I get you want players to be healthy, but its just getting to be to much. Everything that makes football football is slowly being stripped away