Matt Flynn? [yet another QB thread]

Virgil

An interesting question to ask about Flynn is why the Dolphins passed up on the chance to get him. Did Philbin, his coach in Green Bay, not think highly enough of him to be able to support beating out Seattle's offer?

On Hard Knocks Philban said he wasnt much different skill wise than Matt Moore. Take that for what its worth

On Hard Knocks Philban said he wasnt much different skill wise than Matt Moore. Take that for what its worth

honestly - probably a pretty good comparison point. the type of player teammates respect, can move around but isnt RG3 back there, but not a guy thats going to blow you away either - borderline starter (will get his shots but probably more elite back up than long term answer). its very much what Fitz was when he came to us.

i like moore a bit more, likely because he wouldnt come with the same expectations (or price tag) even though the results would be on par. the lower price also makes it more likely to still get our own guy of the future.

What happened to this guy?

He had three teams vying for his services in the offseason. Came in and killed it for Aaron Rodgers in the few games he played for him against good teams. I know that the Seahawks went with Wilson out of training camp, so maybe it's that he got beat out by a rookie...

But how has this guy disappeared in a league where many teams need starting QB's. I can't imagine the Seahawks want to pay this guy to ride the pine.

I mean, I haven't heard a single trade rumor from anywhere. I'm not saying I want him here, but I also don't know enough about him. From the little I know, I would at least see what the Seahawks asking price would be

Russell Wilson.

Would have liked him last spring but since we are getting Landry Jones no need to bother.

honestly - probably a pretty good comparison point. the type of player teammates respect, can move around but isnt RG3 back there, but not a guy thats going to blow you away either - borderline starter (will get his shots but probably more elite back up than long term answer). its very much what Fitz was when he came to us.

i like moore a bit more, likely because he wouldnt come with the same expectations (or price tag) even though the results would be on par. the lower price also makes it more likely to still get our own guy of the future.

But really, is either guy really that much of a

Russell Wilson.

Would have liked him last spring but since we are getting Landry Jones no need to bother.

BB, you're a good guy. So please forward your thoughts to the Bills about Jones along with your thoughts on other QB prospects that you wanted us to get (Tannehill, Skelton, Gabbert, etc.). Seriously, I will make an apology thread to you personally if Jones amounts to anything in the NFL. He is a crappier version of Bradford, who is one of the few starters Fitz is better than. Plus, jones looks like Kelly Holcomb. I try to give every prospect a chance but there are guys I just hate and think will suck in the league. The last 3 were Gabbert, Tannehill, and Clausen. Jones would be at the top of this group.

But really, is either guy really that much of a

BB, you're a good guy. So please forward your thoughts to the Bills about Jones along with your thoughts on other QB prospects that you wanted us to get (Tannehill, Skelton, Gabbert, etc.). Seriously, I will make an apology thread to you personally if Jones amounts to anything in the NFL. He is a crappier version of Bradford, who is one of the few starters Fitz is better than. Plus, jones looks like Kelly Holcomb. I try to give every prospect a chance but there are guys I just hate and think will suck in the league. The last 3 were Gabbert, Tannehill, and Clausen. Jones would be at the top of this group.

agree with this CB, I can see the Holcomb likeness already..............I think your spot on with all of these guys but Tannenhill.....I think his intangibles will lead him to "decent to good" qb status over the years.

agree with this CB, I can see the Holcomb likeness already..............I think your spot on with all of these guys but Tannenhill.....I think his intangibles will lead him to "decent to good" qb status over the years.

I will say he's played better at times than I thought and they are limited on offense. But I don't know if I see him as a franchise guy who elevates your team. I'd rather have Geno, Barkley, and possibly Aaron Murray over Tannehill. I also would prefer to spend another pick on either Logan Thomas or Collin Klein in a later round because they are perfect developmental QBs.

Russell Wilson.

I like also like Landry Jones, but in the 1st round?!?!? I think we go Jones in the first, but Jones LB from GA, then Jones in the 2nd from Oklahoma!

I will say he's played better at times than I thought and they are limited on offense. But I don't know if I see him as a franchise guy who elevates your team. I'd rather have Geno, Barkley, and possibly Aaron Murray over Tannehill. I also would prefer to spend another pick on either Logan Thomas or Collin Klein in a later round because they are perfect developmental QBs.

I agree we need to take two QB's. I'd take those guys, or Nassib in a later round.

I like also like Landry Jones, but in the 1st round?!?!? I think we go Jones in the first, but Jones LB from GA, then Jones in the 2nd from Oklahoma!

I agree we need to take two QB's. I'd take those guys, or Nassib in a later round.

Please no Landry Jones in any round. But I agree with Nassib. Real solid career with not a ton of weapons.

Sea: "We can't take a first off of you Buddy, it would be criminal"

Buddy: "Okay then 2 First rounders and not a penny less"

Sea: "No...Buddy, I don't think you underst....."

Buddy: "You sure do drive a hard bargain, but you're messin with a Southern good ol' boy....and we always win"

Sea: "Just give us a third"

Buddy: "Three first rounders it is!"

I understand.  Those who are insecure about their own intellect feel a need to cast dispersions on others as a defense mechanism.  It’s unfortunate that those who are different are singled out as easy targets.  Yes Buddy has an accent.  Yes the southern dialect conjures a stereotypical connotation of reduced intelligence or latent thought processes, but Nix is a good NFL talent manager.  He’s revamped the Bills roster significantly.  Maybe the Bills aren’t poised for a superbowl run just yet, and maybe he needs to move on because he’s done his bit of the turnaround and now the next guy needs to come in to get the team to the next level, but this incessant harangue about the guy being a dummy is useless and wrong.

You know the Buffalo Accent sounds Canadian right? Especially o’s and a’s…. Try and say hockey.... Ooops accent. What's that mean??

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Word. Jones is a bum

What position does Jarvis jones (who's being projected to be drafted anywhere from 1-9) play for us in a 4-3 defense? He's a pass rusher first and foremost. 6'2 242.

Edited by NewEra

Most likely Seattle will want a 1st rounder. Too often teams have made that type of a trade and it failed. Look no further than Rob Johnson or Kevin Kolb. One of the few trade successes was Matt Schaub in Houston, but seems to be more failures that deals that worked out.

Or look at Brett Favre and Matt Schaub

What happened to this guy? He had three teams vying for his services in the offseason. Came in and killed it for Aaron Rodgers in the few games he played for him against good teams. I know that the Seahawks went with Wilson out of training camp, so maybe it's that he got beat out by a rookie...

But how has this guy disappeared in a league where many teams need starting QB's. I can't imagine the Seahawks want to pay this guy to ride the pine.

I mean, I haven't heard a single trade rumor from anywhere. I'm not saying I want him here, but I also don't know enough about him. From the little I know, I would at least see what the Seahawks asking price would be

I would be very open to bringing this guy in here. He was a huge favorite of the staff in GB and of Rodgers for starters, and those guys evaluated him daily. And lets be honest, Russel Wilson has proven to be pretty good so far, so its no shame that Wilson beat him out and they are different types of players. Lets not forget Flynn was just as new to the Sea offense as Wilson and also had hardly no real game experience. So it was a pretty even race.

I am not going to say he is the next great QB in the league, but I think he is worth a look if we can get him in here. I wouldnt trade the farm for the guy, but right now any competition would be good competition at the QB position. And if he won the job, thats one less position to address in the draft because he is a young QB and not some retread Vet where we still would need to get a young guy to groom.