Racist Sorrority Pic

section122

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buftex I understand your point I just strongly disagree with it. To me racism is a negative thing (obviously) this picture does not seem to be mean spirited or mean in nature. It looks like a party. Is it poor taste? I guess so. These are college kids having a party. This is not something that should be front page top 10 searches of Yahoo. This is what bothers me. There was/is no controversy until the media made one. Was this something that needed national attention? Was this something that Mexicans see and think these stupid white girls? I have no idea bc in a story about how upsetting there was not one Mexican person who was offended listed. So it comes off as oh no people MIGHT get upset about this. It's annoying.

I'm Italian and grew up with all of the guinea, whop, dego comments and they were jokes. Were they racist? I don't think so because they weren't said with ill intentions. I am left leaning and liberal in many of my thoughts but this is to far for me. I also believe strongly that racism is still very prevalent in our society. I also think that people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch over something as harmless as this pic. I feel it discounts actual racism.

I understand everyone has their own scale. On the majority of people's scale (at least in this small sample size) this doesn't register. Does it make them(us) right or wrong? I have no idea. I just feel this pic shouldn't hurt peoples feelings. What happened to sticks and stones may break my bones... My complaint is the wussification of America. Where everyone's feelings are constantly hurt by someone else. What happened to us? This is what bothered me.

Lastly, I get the mowing the lawn but is it really a Mexican stereotype that they all smoke weed?

Stellar post.

I'm still missing the "racism" part of this story.

Wearing a multi-colored shawl is racist?

Or is it that if anyone on the planet deems what you are doing to be "offensive" (whatever that means), you are by definition a racist?

Okay...I am not as eloquent as you or Chef, but I will try to explain this one last time...

I did not start this thread, or frame the argument being made. I was merely responding to the OP's original post that he was "shocked and upset" that somebody would be offended by this photo, cuz it was just a bunch of hot co-eds at a party, having a good time. I was merely pointing out that he, and maybe some others who seemed equally "shocked and upset", might not be so "shocked and upset" if they were part of the demographic that was being lampooned in the photo... that was it. I never said Mexicans would or should be offended, only suggested that they might be offended (and I was careful to use the word "might")...and I just found it odd that nearly everyone came to the conclusion that because they don't get upset over these things, there is no reason that anyone else should.

I stopped reading when you said I was eloquent. Dude you lost all credibility with that remark.

Is that a man drinking Chardonnay ?

Is there a man or a woman sitting at a table with him ?

There are some damn fine Chardonnays out there. Now the shirt, sweater, hair and cheesy smile? That's gay.

Or is it that if anyone on the planet deems what you are doing to be "offensive" (whatever that means), you are by definition a racist?

Those are called Drug Rugs...

Oops, I'm now racist against Dead Heads.

So I was on Yahoo for fantasy football and the #1 trending topic is racist sorority pic. Needless to say I had to click on that link. What I came across was appalling.

here is the link since I can't embed the pic.

I am appalled people got upset over this. It's a freaking party. This is what America gets upset about now? A bunch of college kids having fun? What in the world is so upsetting about this? Oh no it perpetuates stereotypes of Mexicans mowing lawns and smoking weed (?!) Is that even a stereotype?

Worse yet is it is Penn St. Are they going to overreact to everything now to try and prove how they have changed? Child molestation is abhorrent. This is not child molestation. It isn't in the same neighborhood, zip code, area code, or even map.

What happened to our society? :wallbash:

I kinda get where you're coming from, but I take it you're not Mexican. So of course, it probably doesn't bother you. But it could be offensive for Mexicans.

It's tough. I think we do over the top with the PC stuff. At the same time, most of the people complaining about the PC stuff are the ones who haven't be discriminated against because of their race, gender, religion, etc. Personally, I got friends of every different background and we bust on each other all the time about race and that stuff. But I totally would understand if one of my Mexican friends would get offended by this. It's not my call to determine what should offend people. Personally, I don't think you should get offended by stupid drunk girls who have everything handed to them (whoops, I guess that's a stereotype) but to each his own.

And hell yes to most of them and their somberos.

It might be the part where it's Mexican guys dressed up in somberos asking to mow your lawn. Could be wrong though.

I kinda get where you're coming from, but I take it you're not Mexican. So of course, it probably doesn't bother you. But it could be offensive for Mexicans.

It's tough. I think we do over the top with the PC stuff. At the same time, most of the people complaining about the PC stuff are the ones who haven't be discriminated against because of their race, gender, religion, etc. Personally, I got friends of every different background and we bust on each other all the time about race and that stuff. But I totally would understand if one of my Mexican friends would get offended by this. It's not my call to determine what should offend people. Personally, I don't think you should get offended by stupid drunk girls who have everything handed to them (whoops, I guess that's a stereotype) but to each his own.

And hell yes to most of them and their somberos.

It might be the part where it's Mexican guys dressed up in somberos asking to mow your lawn. Could be wrong though.

Just step away...

But it could be offensive for Mexicans.

So the definition of racism is now anything whiny, white Americans perceive to be possibly offensive to a group of foreign people? :doh:

Is it also racist to point out that Italians make pizza or Poles like to Polka?

Yeah, I think you're wrong.

So the definition of racism is now anything whiny, white Americans perceive to be possibly offensive to a group of foreign people? :doh:

Is it also racist to point out that Italians make pizza or Poles like to Polka?

Yeah, I think you're wrong.

It's crazy that when I get called a see you next tuesday, it never bothers me. Why the hell do women get so bent out of shape about it?