Ron brooks

BeastMode54

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the game coverage, Mark Kelso (who has played in the league) was constantly praising Brooks' play, so I am a little confused how different those here are bashing it. Is Kelso as bad at commenting as he was a player?

Personally, I'd listen to the former NFL defensive back over some posters but that's just me. Brooks got picked on and battle every route. He needs to get his head around quicker but hopefully that will come in time.

That was great experience for Brooks. He really looked like a young player for whom the game has not yet slowed down.

I took away from the game that he looks like he has the physical skills and attitude to be a winner. I'm hopeful he'll be a solid player and serious competition for a starting CB job next season.

That was great experience for Brooks. He really looked like a young player for whom the game has not yet slowed down.

I took away from the game that he looks like he has the physical skills and attitude to be a winner. I'm hopeful he'll be a solid player and serious competition for a starting CB job next season.

Well said. As big time as the SEC is, the NFL is a whole different ballgame. He's not a normal mid round pick. Probably if he goes to any other school but LSU, he's a star and have a chance to be a higher draft pick. I'm excited about the guy and he plays with an attitude.

Champ Bailey ran a famous 4.28 40 time at the combine.

At the begining of his career, yes, but he's had a much, much longer shelf life at cornerback than most; and has excelled long after his speed left him, simply by playing as an intellegent player rather than relying on raw athleticism. The best analogy I can think of is the difference between a pitcher like Josh Beckett, who was dominant early in his career because he was a flame thrower who could throw the ball through a wall, but who was never much of a "pitcher", and as a result, now that his elite fastball has fizzled with age, is no longer able to compete at a high level. Where as players like Curt Schilling learned the art of pitching, and were able to establish HOF consideration credentials long after the aging process stole 8 or so MPH from their best pitch.

Brooks may be starting off his career needing to be a "pitcher" rather than a "flame thrower", but Greg Maddux definatively proved that one can be elite doing exactly that.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

They picked on him all day but there was more good than bad. The penalty for Defenseless WR was COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL S**T!! He tried to go at the guys waist and wrap and the WR sat on the ground. I dont get what they expect the DBs to do there? Maybe they should just call the WRs down as soon as they make a catch and not allow them to run for YAC anymore...

On the game coverage, Mark Kelso (who has played in the league) was constantly praising Brooks' play, so I am a little confused how different those here are bashing it. Is Kelso as bad at commenting as he was a player?

He also watched the game in person, you can't see too much of a CBs play when he is out of the TV screen

Personally, I'd listen to the former NFL defensive back over some posters but that's just me. Brooks got picked on and battle every route. He needs to get his head around quicker but hopefully that will come in time.

What do former players know? Its the Fans who know everything about the game and how it is and should be played. With their powers of Hindsight and assumption, the fans are the only true capable GM's and Coaches

OK, first of all, he was at CB on the first play. McKelvin's injury was has back tightened up overnight, and they tried to have him return punts. He went down funny after a fair catch in the 1st qrt, and was walked off the field after that. Now, back to Brooks play. He was really green out there, and did commit penalities, and really got beat a number of times. (Shorts, mostly) After watching him all day, I agree he plays hard every play, and will learn the NFL game better with experience. But, contrary to several comments above, I am worried about his speed. In the Indy game, he was closely trailing Hilton on the TD kickoff return, and he could not keep up....could not run down Hilton. Therefore, I deduce that his speed is average at best, and not premium burner speed to run with the best receivers. (see McKelvin for speed) But, he was no worse than Arron Williams has been, and maybe better on a number of plays. So, he may still be a player or starter even, but I am not convinced yet by any means.

You do understand that Hilton is one of the fastest players in the league right now don't you? I would wager there are only a handful of PLAYERS in the league that can keep up with him. Brooks ran a 4.35 which is more than respectable. Honestly we're questioning the speed of a 4.3 player?

Champ Bailey ran a famous 4.28 40 time at the combine.

This thread proves that at least 50% of the board has no idea what they are talking about. I've never seen so many polar opposite opinions on the same player during the same game.

This board has become noticeably reactionary. People have become so emotional and upset they are no longer rational. I think takeyoutotasker made a good clarification on his point but my general feeling is people have no f*cking clue what they are talking about. Sad really as this board used to have excellent knowledgeable topics/posters. There is a thread up today about Charlie Batch with some posters saying he is better than Fitz! :wallbash:

As an aside and I know wgr gets bashed here I thought he was a good listen. It was only the first 5 minutes of the game but I was pleasantly surprised with his insight and the way John Murphy did the play by play then let Kelso talk. It seemed like a good team to me (again it was very small sample size but my opinion from what I heard fwiw)

Edited by section122

What do former players know? Its the Fans who know everything about the game and how it is and should be played. With their powers of Hindsight and assumption, the fans are the only true capable GM's and Coaches

I agree. ;-)

I payed close attention to Brooks, the guy needs to get his head around like others have said but he looked good to me otherwise. Considering it was his first NFL game in crappy conditions and he was picked on all day he seemed to be on his man and even had a couple of pass breakups. People want to make it black and white and say he was either good or bad, yes he had some bad moments but he wasn't going to go out there and be all world in that scenario. I've never seen a CB just enter the league and be a superstar(maybe Deon), even Revis looked bad at times in his first few games.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

OK, first of all, he was at CB on the first play. McKelvin's injury was has back tightened up overnight, and they tried to have him return punts. He went down funny after a fair catch in the 1st qrt, and was walked off the field after that. Now, back to Brooks play. He was really green out there, and did commit penalities, and really got beat a number of times. (Shorts, mostly) After watching him all day, I agree he plays hard every play, and will learn the NFL game better with experience. But, contrary to several comments above, I am worried about his speed. In the Indy game, he was closely trailing Hilton on the TD kickoff return, and he could not keep up....could not run down Hilton. Therefore, I deduce that his speed is average at best, and not premium burner speed to run with the best receivers. (see McKelvin for speed) But, he was no worse than Arron Williams has been, and maybe better on a number of plays. So, he may still be a player or starter even, but I am not convinced yet by any means.

Actually he has elite speed. Hilton is a speed burner and Brooks was still trying to get his game speed back after missing all that time. Ron ran a 4.29 forty, I mean how fast do you want the kid to be as that is elite speed.

First off, the chances of the Bills making the playoffs are slim and none, with slim having his bags packed getting ready to leave town. With that being said, the Bills need to give players like Brooks and Easley time on the field to get some experience and to see what they got before going into the offseason. When Freddie went down to injury last year, Spiller was thrown into the starting lineup and the rest is history.

After seeing Brooks play yesterday, I have more confidence in him than I do Aaron Williams. I hope AW gets a shot at playing safety, because he does not look good at all at CB.

If Brooks and Easley can show some development from now to the end of the season, then that's 2 less positions to worry about in the offseason.

Gilmore and brooks will be one of the best DB tandems in the league next year if healthy.

Brooks was thrown at all day and he looked to have tight coverage and sure tackling. There were few easy completions for Henne vs Gilmore or brooks and as they gain experience the PIs will come back.

Btw I will take the 5 yard hold and first down over deep completions every time.

My only question after seeing him play is what they are going to do with Aaron Williams. He's not good enough to be on the field before brooks, at corner any way.

I've been imagining what a new DC might do if he were to come to Buffalo. How could we better use our personnel? Obviously we need to draft a good LB or two, or maybe bring in a FA, but our front 4 looks good, and Nigel Bradham looks like he'll be a good LB in the years to come, and Bennett is serviceable. If we were to put Brooks and Gilmore out there as our 2 starting CB's, leave McKelvin or Rogers as Nickle, move A. Williams to safety, along with Byrd, we might have a very tough, dynamic secondary there.

I like Brooks, and I think with his speed, and the blossoming of our front 4 pass rush, with a few improvements in the LB'er corps we could finally see a top 10 defense.

I've been imagining what a new DC might do if he were to come to Buffalo. How could we better use our personnel? Obviously we need to draft a good LB or two, or maybe bring in a FA, but our front 4 looks good, and Nigel Bradham looks like he'll be a good LB in the years to come, and Bennett is serviceable. If we were to put Brooks and Gilmore out there as our 2 starting CB's, leave McKelvin or Rogers as Nickle, move A. Williams to safety, along with Byrd, we might have a very tough, dynamic secondary there.

I like Brooks, and I think with his speed, and the blossoming of our front 4 pass rush, with a few improvements in the LB'er corps we could finally see a top 10 defense.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's always interesting comparing opinions here.

really. Its funny that we all agree he had an up and down night, just from some perspectives he looked promising, from other perspectives he just sucked. I think the kid will be good. I just think he will make a career out if the slot (nickel back). IMO he is not big enough to play on the perimiter.

You deduce, because he couldn't run down a guy that runs a 4.34 40, that his speed is average at best? Oh. Brooks ran a 4.35. 40 yard dash speed and football speed don't always go hand in hand, but to say his speed is "average at best" is an uneducated comment based off watching one play. He's fast. Faster than most corners.

They picked on him all day but there was more good than bad. The penalty for Defenseless WR was COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL S**T!! He tried to go at the guys waist and wrap and the WR sat on the ground. I dont get what they expect the DBs to do there? Maybe they should just call the WRs down as soon as they make a catch and not allow them to run for YAC anymore...

Even in games where we beat our opponents down, the refs still give us the short end of the stick. They were abysmal again.