I am just as disheartened now as during Jauron's last year...

eball

...there is truly a feeling of hopelessness. Fitz has been exposed. He's a great guy, a great leader, plays with toughness, and has all of the tools upstairs -- with an inaccurate rag of an arm to match. Two easy TDs missed yesterday, and a bunch more passes batted down.

Gailey, who sucked me in with his speeches about "a tough game for tough people," has proven to be a cowardly and error prone decision maker. Chan has had a very bad month of coaching, capped off yesterday with one of the most pathetic coaching efforts I've ever seen. Not allowing your kicker to try a 52-yard FG in a dome with the score 7-3? 37 passes to 21 runs when your star RB is getting 7 yards a pop? That time management mess at the end of the first half?

And yet, despite all of that, and despite a handful of questionable calls that all seemed to go the Colts' way, this team was a play or two from winning.

It's embarrassing, once again, to be a Bills fan. I can't even enjoy Mario's resurgence because there's just no hope.

I've got two tickets to the remaining three home games that will sit in my desk drawer, unused. I'm not eager to put them up for sale in the hopes I'll get a $10 offer.

Schitt.

Im "done with this team" for the season, but I dont feel as bad as I have previously.

We need a real QB, first and foremost. That alone will drastically change what happens on the field, and also will affect Chan's play-calling. If our QB was capable of hitting Jones and Spiller on those wide open deep plays, we win that game.

There are a few other holes to fill (OLB for example), but this team has more talent now than it has for over a decade. And especially where it counts the most (Dline and Oline).

It's too bad they couldn't get it to click this year, but Fitz's physical limitations have been too much to overcome.

It definitely sucks to be a Bills fan right now (again), and it's really unfortunate that Ralph insists on a situation which makes it impossible to hire coaches of top quality, but at least the FO has the talent level headed in the right direction...

Wish I could come with a 'hang in there, E' tale of hope to ease the sickness, but I'm stricken with it myself and even more cowbell won't cure it. It is a pathetic organization that's likely to provide a final kick in the teeth when new ownership is announced.

I want hypnosis therapy for Xmas just so I can dump them before they completely bail on us.

I ask this in all seriousness: How's your physical health? Do you have kids? Are you married? Parents alive? Do you have a decent job or at least one that pays the bills?

I have written and redrafted this same type of post that you wrote five times this season and then delete it because I have to look at my life as being made up of things other than Bills football. I love my wife and my three kids. I have good health. My job is a pain in the ass but I am my own boss and it pays the bills that I have. My folks are alive and I have some good friends.....you guys on this board are included in that group of friends because we all suffer the same ailment. I told myself after the Patriots debacle this season that I would not take this team as seriously as I have in the past because it can't be healthy.

So, I understand your frustration and I feel the same way, but I'm trying to avoid feeling this way because I have alot of other things in life to appreciate. Stay strong brother. If you need to take a month breather from games, do so.

I ask this in all seriousness: How's your physical health? Do you have kids? Are you married? Parents alive? Do you have a decent job or at least one that pays the bills?

I have written and redrafted this same type of post that you wrote five times this season and then delete it because I have to look at my life as being made up of things other than Bills football. I love my wife and my three kids. I have good health. My job is a pain in the ass but I am my own boss and it pays the bills that I have. My folks are alive and I have some good friends.....you guys on this board are included in that group of friends because we all suffer the same ailment. I told myself after the Patriots debacle this season that I would not take this team as seriously as I have in the past because it can't be healthy.

So, I understand your frustration and I feel the same way, but I'm trying to avoid feeling this way because I have alot of other things in life to appreciate. Stay strong brother. If you need to take a month breather from games, do so.

I feel the pain E..BTW just sent you a PM as well.

In terms of the above post, i know the spirit of the message is good, and i do not want to come as being mean or coldhearted...but damn I am at the same place as E. My wife and I were discussing it last night..as for some reason I take these losses harder now than I ever have...and it has to do with the town and the threat of leaving. If you told me bills are in Buffalo for next 40 years, I can live with the losing. However, I fear the losing leads to other non desirerable outcomes.I think that is why i take them harder now...feel like every year might be the last for the team especially if have 40,000 at the last games

well said.. i am there.. find myself becoming turned off to the NFL in general and i have been watching forever. the combination of the agony of being a bills fan with what the NFL has become just no longer is working for me.

...there is truly a feeling of hopelessness. Fitz has been exposed. He's a great guy, a great leader, plays with toughness, and has all of the tools upstairs -- with an inaccurate rag of an arm to match. Two easy TDs missed yesterday, and a bunch more passes batted down.

Gailey, who sucked me in with his speeches about "a tough game for tough people," has proven to be a cowardly and error prone decision maker. Chan has had a very bad month of coaching, capped off yesterday with one of the most pathetic coaching efforts I've ever seen. Not allowing your kicker to try a 52-yard FG in a dome with the score 7-3? 37 passes to 21 runs when your star RB is getting 7 yards a pop? That time management mess at the end of the first half?

And yet, despite all of that, and despite a handful of questionable calls that all seemed to go the Colts' way, this team was a play or two from winning.

It's embarrassing, once again, to be a Bills fan. I can't even enjoy Mario's resurgence because there's just no hope.

I've got two tickets to the remaining three home games that will sit in my desk drawer, unused. I'm not eager to put them up for sale in the hopes I'll get a $10 offer.

Schitt.

:thumbsup: for your thoughts i feel the exact same thing. :thumbdown: for this Gailey/Fitz combo just a bad bad experiment.

with a few draft picks in certain places QB/LB, I don't feel we are beyond a quick fix though. That could be the same dumb talk ive had for 10 plus years now though. who knows

In terms of the above post, i know the spirit of the message is good, and i do not want to come as being mean or coldhearted...but damn I am at the same place as E. My wife and I were discussing it last night..as for some reason I take these losses harder now than I ever have...and it has to do with the town and the threat of leaving. If you told me bills are in Buffalo for next 40 years, I can live with the losing. However, I fear the losing leads to other non desirerable outcomes.I think that is why i take them harder now...feel like every year might be the last for the team especially if have 40,000 at the last games

I understand that...but if I was still living in Buffalo and had a wife that I could eat dinner with, kids that I could hang out with, good health (manageable health), a job, friends, etc. I'd consider myself lucky....it takes some getting used to, but there are more important things in life (like a cold beer with good friends, wings and pizza, a nice plate of spaghetti parm at Chef's, Christmas morning, Easter, catching a nice trout in a local stream...cold beer, wings...wait did I already say that?)

If they leave, they leave. If they stay, awesome. But at our funerals they may say we were great Bills fans, but that will be the end of it. It's ok to be a great Bills fan, but I won't let it consume my family to the point where I am miserable to my wife, kids or friends.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out you bandwagoner!

Just kidding. I feel the same way. The Bills are a 50-lb iron weight that my dad chained to my ankle when I was born - "Here you go, carry this around with you for the rest of your life, like I do." My kid will likely start watching and caring about football in 2-4 years. That means that I have 2-4 years to decide whether I'm going to chain that same weight to him, or, perhaps, free him from this insanity.

Mrs. 81 & I had the same discussion. Yesterday hurt worse because it crushed fading hopes of playoffs -losing to another AFC team who was the League doormat a year ago. I'm resigned today that it's another in a very long string of dashed hopes and bitter seasons. I don't really have another favorite team so the Bills will be on but i know ill be indifferent to the same plays that had me opening cursing yesterday as the outcomes are moot.

Feellin' all your pain, guys and gurls.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out you bandwagoner!

Just kidding. I feel the same way. The Bills are a 50-lb iron weight that my dad chained to my ankle when I was born - "Here you go, carry this around with you for the rest of your life, like I do." My kid will likely start watching and caring about football in 2-4 years. That means that I have 2-4 years to decide whether I'm going to chain that same weight to him, or, perhaps, free him from this insanity.

There is no decision to be made. It's like the Scarlet Letter. Your kid has already been branded. He will see your Bills posters, Bills beer mugs, Bills tickets framed on the wall, your Joe Cribbs trading card and your Whammy and then ask what they are...the rest is history.

I'm most disheartened by the fact that Chan has 2 more years on his contract which will make it all the harder for him to be replaced - the Bills hate eating contracts they never should have created in the first place. I would not be totally stunned to see Chan next year - I'd be pissed, but not surprised.

It is very disheartening to be a Bills fan. The sad thing is that I almost never expect them to win anymore. I always expect them to lose and when they do it is never a surprise. Yesterday was no exception. Very hard to root for a team that you hope will win every week, but you know in your heart that there is very little chance of that happening. I truly don't know what the answer is, but it has got to start with a new HC.

Edited by xsoldier54

good decision I've been watching this team for 50 years and came to the same conclusion after the 4th superbowl loss. Enjoy what you can but don't take it to serious

Schitt.

I understand your frustration. You are certainly not alone in your sentiment. First and foremost you have to put a balance on how you respond to this year's version of the Bills' generation of futility. It is only a game and a sport. It is simply entertainment. If it is getting to the point that it makes you unhappy then take a break.

If you have read the majority of my postings you will recognize that I am an owner and organizational basher. But that doesn't mean that I don't see some hope. What this franchise desperately needs is a legitimate franchise qb. That in itself will rectify or at least overcome a lot of other weak spots on the roster. Although this season is another bust the positive news is that this stupid organization finally recognises that they have to come out of the next draft and offseason with a major upgrade at qb. Are they way past the curve? Absolutely. But belatedly addressing a problem is better than not doing so.

If not attending the games makes you more happy than attending then you certainly deserve the break. My suggestion for what you can do with your tickets if you choose to not attend is to donate them to some military support group or some charitable group that will put the tickets in the hands of people who would be very appreciative of your generosity.

Next Sunday I will not be watching the Bills game. I will be having lunch with some friends. That is how I will cope with watching this very bedraggled franchise.

:thumbsup: for your thoughts i feel the exact same thing. :thumbdown: for this Gailey/Fitz combo just a bad bad experiment.

with a few draft picks in certain places QB/LB, I don't feel we are beyond a quick fix though. That could be the same dumb talk ive had for 10 plus years now though. who knows

Gailey and Fitz tried hard and failed. The Lesson learned is never try... :doh:

I actually think that the roster is much much better now than it was then its just the coaching is just as terrible. The defense has talent and potential esp on the D-line and in the secondary (Which coming off the Jauron years had almost no talent in the front 7). The O-line is a standout unit far better than what it was under Jauron. The RB situation is still good if not better than what it was under Jauron, the WR's have Stevie and a decent support group of 3 and 4 WR's. Even Chandler at TE is better than what we had at the end of Jauron.

It comes down to finding a QB and a coach and fixing a couple of holes on the roster. After Jauron it was an almost complete rebuild outside of the secondary there wasn't a unit on the team that you could say was good. I like to think that the team has much more talent on it that isn't being fulfilled due to the poor coaching.

I defended Jauron a lot but we have a much more talented roster than when he was here. We have a bunch of blue chippers (Wood, Levitre, Glenn, Spiller, Stevie, Bryd, Gilmore, the Williamses, Dareus). I think it is becoming clear than Jauron might actually be a better head coach than Gailey. I think Gailey runs a good offense but needs to be checked. But his record is terrible and that's inexcusable. This is our most talented team in 10 years and is 4-7 in a bad AFC. Unless we get to 8-8 or better, you have to make a change. 3 years is enough time to see improvement.

Have you tried drinking heavily?

That's like picking up a "cute" gal on Friday night and finding out she's not as "cute" as you thought Saturday morning...the haze clears, you're left with a hangover and you vow you will never do that again....until, of course, Friday rolls around again. It's the Circle of Life. Go watch Lion King.

I defended Jauron a lot but we have a much more talented roster than when he was here. We have a bunch of blue chippers (Wood, Levitre, Glenn, Spiller, Stevie, Bryd, Gilmore, the Williamses, Dareus). I think it is becoming clear than Jauron might actually be a better head coach than Gailey. I think Gailey runs a good offense but needs to be checked. But his record is terrible and that's inexcusable. This is our most talented team in 10 years and is 4-7 in a bad AFC. Unless we get to 8-8 or better, you have to make a change. 3 years is enough time to see improvement.

Just because one sucks, it doesn't mean the other can't as well. I don't know how to measure it (wins and losses I suppose), but as bad as it feels rigth now, I much prefer the Gailey teams to anything that Jauron trotted out in a Bills uniform. To me, the difference is, Gailey's teams try to win...Juarons' teams just played not to lose. Neither succeded very often, but one is mildly more entertaining than the other.

It was under Jaurons' watch (I still remember the exact moment) that my, mostly unflapable, sense of optimism for the Bills was snuffed out. It was that play where JP (filling in for the injured/inept Trent) tried to roll to his right to throw a pass, against the Jets and fumbled the game away...all he needed to do was kill the clock...I rember, completely spontaneously, and without any thought, I just started lauging hysterically...I had never before had that reaction to a Bills flub! No cursing, no slamming my fists in disgust...just laughed cuz it just felt like the fix was in on Bills fans...

I will admit, I got a little excited about beating the Dolphins last week (it was the way the defense played more than anything), and let myself feel that optimism, albeit a little muted...but yesterday it was like, in my mind "okay this season is over...keep my fingers crossed there is another win or two on the schedule...but expect nothing...always nice if they win the game before Christmas (that is what it has come to), but another December of "pre-season" like football...oh well...time to turn my attentions to the Sabres! :doh:

Now, I have tickets to the last game of the season...a meaningless game against the Jets... I will be up for Christmas, nobody will want to go with me...just a bummer of a season all around.

Edited by Buftex

My kid will likely start watching and caring about football in 2-4 years. That means that I have 2-4 years to decide whether I'm going to chain that same weight to him, or, perhaps, free him from this insanity.

Think carefully about this. I'm raising my son a Bills fan - we watch on TV every week, and I fly him to a few games a year. He's hooked. I enjoy watching with him, but the losses are adding up and they really eat at him. Plus being in Houston, he gets teased at school for his Bills fandom. It's sad to watch and I definitely have second thoughts about putting this ball and chain on him.

The frustrating thing to me is that I really believe this team is a better team than they have been in many years. Maybe I'm delusional, but it just makes it more frustrating and makes me think that with a real coaching staff this team could finally get over the hump.

The frustrating thing to me is that I really believe this team is a better team than they have been in many years. Maybe I'm delusional, but it just makes it more frustrating and makes me think that with a real coaching staff this team could finally get over the hump.

I am with you...I think this team has a lot more talent than what they are showing. It only makes it all the worse.

A couple of things:

1) Some of you are letting your anger and frustration cloud your judgement

2) There is no way Jauron is a better coach than Gailey. On any day or in any universe.

3) We definitely need a new QB. We would have won that game yesterday with a better QB...and that's not Gailey's fault.

This team is getting better. It has more talent that it has had in a long time. I still trust Buddy running things the way he has.

There are some great posts in this thread--maybe the most uplifting Bills thread of the year, simply because the people responding are realistic in their devotion to the Bills.

Don't know if anyone will read my 2 cents or respond, but let me just say that I agree with the OP 100%.

This was the most gut-punch awful Bills season I can remember.

From opening kickoff week 1, through us punting it away to the Colts with 3 minutes left this past week.

I find it hard to believe that our 0-8 start/4-12 finish in 2010 was more enjoyable than this season, but for some strange reason--it was. that "almost" win against the steelers in 2010? it seemed like we had a young, growing team, and ANYTHING was possible in the future. we were challenging the big boys of the league. the comeback win against the bengals. the almost win against the chiefs and ravens. that season was, for some reason, magical in its own pathetic way.

last season--that start seemed legit, and the drop off seemed like it was because of injuries. it seemed like the team for the first 8 games of last season and the last 8 games of 2010 was who we really were. 9 to 10 wins, going in the right direction.

but this season? man. we just have never had it. we seemed out of contention from week 1 forward. wins against cleveland? kansas city? who cares, youre SUPPOSED to beat cleveland and kansas city. then smoked by new england and san fran to prove, beyond a doubt, we had no shot. it just hasnt been enjoyable from game one on. its just been really really really UNENJOYABLE. thats the only way i can put it.

What bothers me is the AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Clay Mathews, Rob Gronkowski, Colin Kaepernick, Geno Adkins and even TY Hilton that other teams are hitting on that the Bills are not.

The reason the Bills have missed the playoffs for 12 years is a complete failure in pro and college talent evaluation and it never seems to end. Who knows, maybe Gilmore and Glenn will be awesome.....but if they are, they will finish careers on other teams.

Jauron did more with less talent- no doubt about it.

What bothers me is the AJ Green, Andy Dalton, Clay Mathews, Rob Gronkowski, Colin Kaepernick, Geno Adkins and even TY Hilton that other teams are hitting on that the Bills are not.

The reason the Bills have missed the playoffs for 12 years is a complete failure in pro and college talent evaluation and it never seems to end. Who knows, maybe Gilmore and Glenn will be awesome.....but if they are, they will finish careers on other teams.

I agree...but will go a step further: we draft college players who seem to have skill and are considered by most to have pro talent/skill....but once they get here, I think our coaches are teaching them poorly.

Take the following examples:

TJ Graham 3rd Round draft selection Mediocre stats

Julian Edelman 7th Round draft selection Enough said

TY Hilton 3rd Roung draft selection Enough said

I know, I know...TY and Julian have great QB's throwing to them...but they also have a fire in their bellies that I don't see on the Bills (especially Edelman)

I just don't think we get the best out of our talent in Buffalo. Mostly because I think our players are coddled and idolized by the media and press...whereas in other markets the players are held to the fire (produce or get bad press or possibly sit the bench).

I actually think that the roster is much much better now than it was then its just the coaching is just as terrible. The defense has talent and potential esp on the D-line and in the secondary (Which coming off the Jauron years had almost no talent in the front 7). The O-line is a standout unit far better than what it was under Jauron. The RB situation is still good if not better than what it was under Jauron, the WR's have Stevie and a decent support group of 3 and 4 WR's. Even Chandler at TE is better than what we had at the end of Jauron.

It comes down to finding a QB and a coach and fixing a couple of holes on the roster. After Jauron it was an almost complete rebuild outside of the secondary there wasn't a unit on the team that you could say was good. I like to think that the team has much more talent on it that isn't being fulfilled due to the poor coaching.

This doesn't add up of course. Jauron won more games with worse talent and was an equally bad coach?

It may be true that the team is better on paper, but it doesn't add up on the field. The coaching of the defense was indescribably bad to begin the season and, while better now, there are still inexcusable break downs all too frequently. It is much inferior to the defense Fewell ran. The LBs were better as was the secondary, which certainly had more depth. The offensive scheme should be better, but it has been exposed. With Trent Edwards all the Bills could do was run check downs. With Ryan Fitzpatrick and friends, the same is true and defensive coordinators have figured out how to make Gailey go to his weaknesses more and more. Were Lee Evans and Terrell Owens, even in decline, really much worse than Stevie Johnson and a cast of nobodies? Lynch and Jackson weren't a bad duo -- what's more they were actually used. Special teams has taken a step back as well; Bobby April did a very good job there. So, you can say the talent is much, much better but without the execution it is just bits on a screen.

Chan Gailey has fallen into the same pit as Dick Jauron did only this time it's the opposite way around.

Jauron didn't know offense to save his life and hired inexperienced tools to run his offense, while his defense was in capable hands of Perry Fewell. Gailey hired a pair of morons to to run his very talented defense and they both fell on their faces hard. Plus drafting and going crazy in free agency for the defense and they are still one of the worst in the NFL Meanwhile the offense suffers without a true #1 WR, and while the talent at RB might be the best in the NFL Gailey prefers to let the back up QB shoulder the game.

Jauron and Gailey both had massive injuries on the team year after year, this year its not nearly as bad and yet they are 4-7 in a bad division.

NFN guys but this is what you get when you hire a man that was fired at his last job as OC. Gailey would have made a good choice as OC under Bill Cowher, although I'm certain Cowher would have him using the RB's more often

A couple of things:

1) Some of you are letting your anger and frustration cloud your judgement

2) There is no way Jauron is a better coach than Gailey. On any day or in any universe.

3) We definitely need a new QB. We would have won that game yesterday with a better QB...and that's not Gailey's fault.

This team is getting better. It has more talent that it has had in a long time. I still trust Buddy running things the way he has.

Thats the problem though. As the GM, and HC, Chan and Nix married themselves to Fitz in the first place. If our loses are based on only QBing play, then they have themselves to blame. We have them to blame for not having another option or a backup plan. Hell, we had Vince Young a former starter in this league with a 60% win/loss ratio and yet we came to the conclusion that he was not good after just a few weeks of pre season.

Let me clear up a few things about the pre season. During pre season we saw 2 things that were almost certain during most of the offseason. We couldn't stop the run, we couldn't force a turnover on downs, we had no quarterbacking, and we lost games. Now back then, some of us said things like "What was Marvs record in the pre season?" "Pre season doesn't mean anything, it's all about execution" "We're just playing VANILLA football, not showing anything special". Well, since then, almost none of that has changed. Yet many of the Bills/Chan/Nix/Fitz supporters forget that it's been no different in 3 years. Chan never could make the right decisions, Fitz never could throw deep, the defense has went from worst in the league to even worse than that (how Thats possible I have no idea).

And that brings me to my next point. IF, and that's a HUGE IF. Chan really isn't that bad and the play of the horrible QB that we employ is the real reason why were losing games..... Why the hell does Chan allow Fitz to be so detrimental to our record? He has CJ who might be the most explosive back in the game. Averaging over 7 yards a carry for THE YEAR and yet he runs him only 14 times last game. Most other games are the same. CJ has shown that he can handle the ball 20 times a game yet Chan still keeps him handcuffed. Chan still pulls CJ in the red zone. Chan still doesn't have CJ in for 13 minutes straight at the end of the 4th quarter where we were down by 1-2 scores. IF... We can assume that CJ is our best player (that's arguable but most likely true) then why wouldn't he be on the field at the time when we need to score some points? Even if you concede that Freddy is our most valuable weapon, then why not make plays with Fred? Chan is doing himself a disservice. If he really is suffering from the poor play of a sub par QB, then why wouldn't you put it into the hands of players that have been proven to score.

Chan is to blame first and foremost. Dare I say that Alex Smith isn't that good but all the sudden with a good coach and one that limits his possibility for mistakes, Smith is doing great. If you don't believe that with a good coach, that this team wouldn't be 7-4 then your smoking some really good government refer. The defense and QB play would be more than enough to win if competent coaches were running things here.

There's really nothing more to say on this subject.

I agree...but will go a step further: we draft college players who seem to have skill and are considered by most to have pro talent/skill....but once they get here, I think our coaches are teaching them poorly.

Take the following examples:

TJ Graham 3rd Round draft selection Mediocre stats

Julian Edelman 7th Round draft selection Enough said

TY Hilton 3rd Roung draft selection Enough said

I know, I know...TY and Julian have great QB's throwing to them...but they also have a fire in their bellies that I don't see on the Bills (especially Edelman)

I just don't think we get the best out of our talent in Buffalo. Mostly because I think our players are coddled and idolized by the media and press...whereas in other markets the players are held to the fire (produce or get bad press or possibly sit the bench).

I actually really like what little we have seen of Graham. It is embarassing, to me, when Chan made him inactive early in the season, because he "wasn't ready"...to me, I translate that to mean that Chan wasn't ready to let everyone in on the secret that our QB can't get the ball to our new speedburner WR. As little as Graham has been used deep (normally a screen pass to the sidelines where he has to make something happen to get a first down...which he usually has), from what I can tell, he pretty much always has his coverage beat...

I actually really like what little we have seen of Graham. It is embarassing, to me, when Chan made him inactive early in the season, because he "wasn't ready"...to me, I translate that to mean that Chan wasn't ready to let everyone in on the secret that our QB can't get the ball to our new speedburner WR. As little as Graham has been used deep (normally a screen pass to the sidelines where he has to make something happen to get a first down...which he usually has), from what I can tell, he pretty much always has his coverage beat...

Yes, he's a talented kid, no doubt. And a comparable small, fast receiver for the Colts has caught numerous TD's, ran back punts and has become a solid #2 WR.

Don't we have coaches who can groom a similar young WR like TJ Graham into an "immediate impact" player. This doesn't apply only on the offensive side of the ball...on defense as well.

To be honest as a fan since the OJ yrs. I have reached the point of going of saying if they dont get a QB that cant play...why even watch.

I'm to that point in this long term relationship that its time to move on unless they get a QB that can get them to the playoffs.