The one and only TBD Political Thread

Simon

Shoulda thought of that when Bush was sending $600 to every taxpayer just prior to his reelection

I sure as hell never got that check! But I did get Obamas 8k homebuyers credit.

Thanks for paying my mortgage boys!

The United States or Israel to bomb Iran before the end of 2013

I personally believe that Israel would have already bombed Iran if we didn't make them be our little lap dog.

Then us and Israel would have gotten what we want years ago- a nuclear free Iran - without America having to step in and do anything.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally believe that Israel would have already bombed Iran if we didn't make them be our little lap dog.

Then us and Israel would have gotten what we want years ago- a nuclear free Iran - without America having to step in and do anything.

I also got the 8K. I used like Obama thought most would. I bought stuff for the house and saved a little. Imagine how much worse the housing market would have been without the 8k?

As for thanks for paying your mortgage, what did you buy an $8,000 home?

Edited by Dopey

Imagine how much worse the housing market would have been without the 8k?

As for thanks for paying your mortgage, what did you buy an $8,000 home?

I am in real estate my man, the housing market is completely unchanged with Obamas silly credit, in fact it made it much worse for the few months after it ended. The credit didnt create more home buyers, it simply accelerated them into the future, which left no buyers post credit. But we are billions more in debt because of it.

And no my house was not 8 k, but considering my mortgage payment is only 600 a month, that covered the first year + where middle class Americas worse off than I got stuck paying the bill.

Is the United States as a country better off than 4 years ago? That's the real question...

Well, in November of 2008 the banks had just imploded, Bush has just done TARP, the Dow was dropping like a stone and the economy had been in recession for almost a year and was accelerating downward.

Today the Dow is back close to all-time highs, banks are no longer in danger, the economy is getting marginally better and unemployment is down somewhat. The auto industry is doing much better, construction is still crap and housing is still lagging. We increased our National Debt by over 30% during this process some of which helped, most of which didn't. The recession ended and the GDP is up a bit and worker productivity is up but hiring is slow. Nothing is growing in leaps and bounds but it also stopped falling off the planet and it showed some resiliency when the Eurozone shat all over itself this year.

The country is by any measure doing better today than it was in November 2008, the question really is is it doing better in spite of the current administration or because of it.

Am I better off than 4 years ago? Yes, because I take personal responsibility for my situation.

Is the United States as a country better off than 4 years ago? That's the real question...

Excellent post.

+1 to you, sir.

The Dow isn't up. The US Dollar is down. Big difference.

"The Dollar is down" is a relative statement and depends on which other currency you're speaking of. Your statement really applies to inflation.

Well, the Dow closed at 8696 on November 6, 2008. yesterday it closed at 13175. That's 66% improvement. There has not been 66% of currency inflation in the last 4 years. The cumulative inflation rate over that period has been 7.5%

As for the dollar

11/5/2008

Euro = $1.330

Yen = $0.010 (This exchange is typically shown in the other direction 1USD to 98.95JPY)

Pound = $1.61

11/5/2012

Euro = $1.28 US dollar is up

Yen = $0.012 US dollar is down (This exchange is typically shown in the other direction 1USD to 80.30JPY)

Pound = $1.59 US dollar is up

So the Dollar is up against 2 major currencies and down against a third. Not to enter an economics debate, but it could also be argued the a weaker dollar vs. the yen helps US domestic industry by making imports more expensive by comparison and encouraging foreign investments in the US.

I'm just presenting the numbers, they are what they are.

Voting in NY is such a joke. I walked in, told them my name, and that’s it. They asked for no ID, no piece of mail, they didn't even verbally confirm where I lived. Anyone could have walked in and told them my name and voted in my stead, or me in theirs.

Thank goodness they didn't rob you of your dignity by asking for ID!!

If Obama wins, it will be four more years of the Bills using first round picks on first-contract-and-out DBs, or RBs who get replaced every 3.5 years. It will be four more years of no real quarterback, no real defensive coordinator, and an inept owner.

If Romney wins, the Bills will obtain a franchise QB and a top tier coaching staff. Mario's wrist will heal, and he will become the player we'd all hoped for.

Thank goodness they didn't rob you of your dignity by asking for ID!!

I'm of two minds about this and I haven't reconciled my position yet.

1. We've managed to run the country for a very long time without required photo ID for voting.

2. It does seem a little crazy that we don't ask for it.

look at every dollar the government spends and ask ourselves. Is this worth putting my children, my grandchildren and and their children in debt to China for?

That needs to include dollars that we spend by cutting taxes without cutting expenditures. Neither party is proposing anything remotely like fiscal responsibility.

I'll rehash what I said on Breaking the Law today--Whoever wins, the office of the president is taken too seriously. He, thankfully, cannot introduce legislation. He, at most, is the figurehead leader abroad. He does "set the tone." But he is simply head of the executive branch of government, one of three federal branches. He cannot solve your problems with regulation. But his signature might make them worse. He works for you, not the other way around. He is a politician.

On another note, surprised also at the love Gary Johnson is getting. Someday, maybe, a Libertarian candidate will be debating next to a D and a R. Think the more realistic option is for freedom lovers to push Republicans to stop being asshats on social issues, and to have them really push for less spending and smarter tax policies, such as the Fair Tax.

Democrats seem like a lost cause for anyone who favors freedom over other values, like fairness. They used to stand for freedom. Their platform now is everything but freedom in every way imaginable. Unless all you care about is gay marriage, freedom lovers have two choices--one guy who will take away fewer freedoms and another guy who wants to give more of them back but has no shot of becoming president of his neighborhood association let alone the country.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

That needs to include dollars that we spend by cutting taxes without cutting expenditures. Neither party is proposing anything remotely like fiscal responsibility.

This thread begs the question:

If you live in 'Bama are you going to vote for the Round Mound as governor?-)

"The Dollar is down" is a relative statement and depends on which other currency you're speaking of. Your statement really applies to inflation.

Well, the Dow closed at 8696 on November 6, 2008. yesterday it closed at 13175. That's 66% improvement. There has not been 66% of currency inflation in the last 4 years. The cumulative inflation rate over that period has been 7.5%

As for the dollar

11/5/2008

Euro = $1.330

Yen = $0.010 (This exchange is typically shown in the other direction 1USD to 98.95JPY)

Pound = $1.61

11/5/2012

Euro = $1.28 US dollar is up

Yen = $0.012 US dollar is down (This exchange is typically shown in the other direction 1USD to 80.30JPY)

Pound = $1.59 US dollar is up

So the Dollar is up against 2 major currencies and down against a third. Not to enter an economics debate, but it could also be argued the a weaker dollar vs. the yen helps US domestic industry by making imports more expensive by comparison and encouraging foreign investments in the US.

I'm just presenting the numbers, they are what they are.

Comparing our fiat currency to other countries who are also devaluing their fiat currencies is futile to say the least.

Gold per ounce

2000 = $280

2012 = $1790

Silver per Ounce

2000 = $5

2012 = $30

Crude Oil per Barrel

2000 = $27

2012 = $93

Gasoline per Gallon

2000 = $1.60

2012 = $4.00

Whole Milk per Gallon

2000 = $2.80

2012 = $3.65

The reason Oil and Gas haven't gone up as much as Gold and Silver is because of increased supply and a decreasing demand.

If you look at the first chart within the link below, you will see that gas prices really started to rise shortly after Nixon took us completely off the gold standard in 1972. That is not a coincidence, this is showing the increase in cost, which as the second graph shows, is really caused by devaluing of the dollar. If you notice, once adjusted for inflation, the price of gas has gone up only 22 cents per gallon since 1919

http://www.consumere...over-the-years/

They don't ask for your ID out here in California either. Although just like New York, your vote doesn't really count here as well.

its not that I think I should show ID per say, its just how appalled I was that I could have voted for someone else, or I could have registered as Big Bird and showed up and said I am Big Bird and am here to vote and they would have let me.

Corruption must be rampant, and I'm not surprised there is no evidence of it either - how could there be when the system is SO open?

Edited by peterpan

If Obama wins, it will be four more years of the Bills using first round picks on first-contract-and-out DBs, or RBs who get replaced every 3.5 years. It will be four more years of no real quarterback, no real defensive coordinator, and an inept owner.

If Romney wins, the Bills will obtain a franchise QB and a top tier coaching staff. Mario's wrist will heal, and he will become the player we'd all hoped for.

Well played.

Shoulda thought of that when Bush was sending $600 to every taxpayer just prior to his reelection (which added to the deficit) and started a massively expensive war with Iraq (which massively added to the deficit). The Bush gov't did just as much as Obama to get us into this mess, and if your remember, inherited a balanced budget.

Believe me, Washington politicians don't mind adding to the debt, they just want to be the ones spending the borrowed money.

Come on here we go again it's all Bushes fault! When is Obama going to own this. The problem started when all the dems wanted everyone to have a share of the American dream and own a house and forced all the banks to approve everyone even when the republicans warned them. It just happened that the **** hit the fan when Bush was in office. We all know what Obama would have done if 911 happened on his watch just look at libya. He let all those poor souls perish without sending anyone in to help them even after they were pleading for it.

I can tell you the $8,000 credit was at least an attempt to stop the bleeding. Only history books will determine it's effectiveness. But if the Gov't did nothing, then people would B word that the economy was in the tank and they just watched it fail. So...damned if you do.......

Two very depressing topics in America today

1) The Buffalo Bills

2) Politics

Well the Bills season is over and lets HOPE for a CHANGE!

I cant take four more years of Barrack or 8 more games of Chan!

I believe this is what is referred to as stat padding.

I voted for Gary Johnson...If I lived in a battleground state I would have voted Romney...But in NY what's the point? B-)

I'm the opposite of an Obama fan...Whatever that is...He's like the Jets to me...I have disdain... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I can tell you the $8,000 credit was at least an attempt to stop the bleeding.

And Ryan Fitzpatric was an attempt at a Franchise QB :thumbdown:

What I dont get is, Bush tried a homebuyers credit, it didn't work, so Obama tried one too. The same could be said for the Bank Bailouts and Auto Bailouts etc.

Yet some people hate Bush and love Obama. What gives? They are basically the same guy. Then, the liberal media keeps trying to tell me that Romney is going to use the same policies as Bush - that couldn't be further from the truth.

And Ryan Fitzpatric was an attempt at a Franchise QB :thumbdown:

What I dont get is, Bush tried a homebuyers credit, it didn't work, so Obama tried one too. The same could be said for the Bank Bailouts and Auto Bailouts etc.

Yet some people hate Bush and love Obama. What gives? They are basically the same guy. Then, the liberal media keeps trying to tell me that Romney is going to use the same policies as Bush - that couldn't be further from the truth.

Bush required the money to be paid back. Obama didn't. Either way it was a good deal. Obama's was just sweeter.

Edited by The Wiz

Come on here we go again it's all Bushes fault! When is Obama going to own this. The problem started when all the dems wanted everyone to have a share of the American dream and own a house and forced all the banks to approve everyone even when the republicans warned them. It just happened that the **** hit the fan when Bush was in office. We all know what Obama would have done if 911 happened on his watch just look at libya. He let all those poor souls perish without sending anyone in to help them even after they were pleading for it.

Not saying it's all Bush's fault. Hell, I voted for the guy. But you can't hang 16 trillion on Obama when the Bush govt spent like drunken sailors, including a nice $600 check right before the election. That really turned me off to him. Especially when I knew it was deficit spending that he was "giving" back to us. I'm just assigning blame where it belongs....to both parties in that dysfunctional cesspool we call D.C. .

Bush required the money to be paid back. Obama didn't. Either way it was a good deal. Obama's was just sweeter.

yes I know that. Same thing was true of the bank and auto bailouts. Obama just took Bushes policies to the next level (or you could argue he skipped a few levels lol)

So there was Obama and 'Obama light', or Bush and 'Bush heavy'. The Repbulicans and the Democrats are very very similiar unfortunately.