Jason Cole rips Wanny on Howard Simon show

I respect Andy Reid for having the stones to fire his DC during the bye week. I just wish Chan would have done the same thing. The worst part is that Chan probably won't even fire Wanny after we get blown-out 3+ more times.

Andy Reid is a coward for that firing. He makes the monumentally stupid decision to put this guy in that no win position. Then, when the owner tells Reid: no playoffs, no job--he panics and fires the poor, hapless "DC"--a loyal 18 year emploee of the team.

Reid should be fired now--he's an awful coach and threw his guy under the bus.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not get this mindset at all. They need to be motivated by coaches?

How about winning. How about not being a laughing stock. How about pride in your performance. How about making the playoffs. How about a !@#$ing super bowl ring for Christs sake!

NFL players needing to be motivated by their coaches is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard about professional athletes.

All of the above stuff can be silenced/blocked out if you show them the $$$............

It makes me think the game has passed him by. But then I wonder if the defense he's rolling out now ever would have been effective against NFL offenses.

His pitiful D was evident in pre-season. Everyone thought it would be different when the bullets started flying. It isn't.

So much, for the pre season tells you nothing mindset here.

I just don't get this -- at all. I don't know anything about Jason Cole, much as I really don't know anything about Dave Wannstedt. It's simply hard for me to believe the picture being painted.

I'm also of the mindset that professional athletes don't (or shouldn't) need a "motivational" coach to get amped up to play. That's supposed to be built into the character of the type of guys you want on your team.

Anyway -- if things don't change with the product on the field, it will all be moot...

I disagree. I believe coaches and other players have the ability to give extra motivation to others. Jim Harbaugh's motor never stops. It has rubbed off on his players. I've watched almost every niner game in the past decade and their intensity is at an all time high. Partly due to Harbaugh. Ray Lewis gets that raven D pumped up. He motivates them more than they already are. Looking at our defense play, yeah the scheme sucks, but they don't have the intensity of a ray Lewis or Jim Harbaugh led defense. Our offensive line coach is an extremely intense coach. Since his addition, our Oline has become much better (talent wise as well) and much tougher.

Players should be motivated in their own. That doesn't mean a coach can't add to that.

See, I don't get this. Pitt went to a BCS bowl under Wanny and has sucked pretty much when he wasn't there. He also has a very good resume of having top 10 defenses. And for as much crap as gets in Miami, he is their best coach since Shula and rode Jay Fiedler to the playoffs several times.

That said, while I still mostly blame the players, the Wanny talk is opening my eyes. He hasn't coached in the NFL since 2004 and the game has changed a lot. And as much as blame the players for underperforming, it would be nice to see some creativity. Wanny may be too old school and stubborn. IMO, this is his last stand. Still, I put this on the players 60-40.

Quick wiki search for Wanny shows he never took Pitt to a BCS bowl game. The guy before him won a Big East championship and went to the Fiesta bowl. Wanny took Pitt to the Sun Bowl, Meineke Car Care Bowl and something called the BBVA Compass bowl.

Edited by billsfan714

If players are supposed to be motivated on their own, how can anyone explain the bounty scandal in New Orleans? If guys making millions of dollars will supposedly try harder for an extra few thousand, then there must be factors that can be used to motivate them to play harder. Obviously it shouldn't be bounties, but perhaps some sort of motivation from a coach or well respected player will have an impact. Not everyone has Ray Lewis' motivation, some people need to be pumped up. Even a team warm-up with chants and cheers and jumping up and down would help if the players really got into it and used it to get thier blood pumping.

If players are supposed to be motivated on their own, how can anyone explain the bounty scandal in New Orleans? If guys making millions of dollars will supposedly try harder for an extra few thousand, then there must be factors that can be used to motivate them to play harder. Obviously it shouldn't be bounties, but perhaps some sort of motivation from a coach or well respected player will have an impact. Not everyone has Ray Lewis' motivation, some people need to be pumped up. Even a team warm-up with chants and cheers and jumping up and down would help if the players really got into it and used it to get thier blood pumping.

Teams do that all the time, including the Bills. There is no shortage of "pump 'em up" players on the team.

There is a CRITICAL shortage of players that can stand up to the pressure of things going bad and trying to right the ship. They have no clue how to handle adversity from where I sit. Of course, handling adversity is FAR easier when you can handle simple gap and coverage assignments. It's uncanny how that works. But I digress.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah...heard it as well...said his schemes are completely unimaginitive and he gets outcoached consistantly...said Wanny and Norv Turner have made more money off their association with Jimmy Johnson than two people should ever make...

Said in Dallas, Johnson would come in and go crazy on the defensive players and Wanny would tell them "don't worry about him, he's just crazy, we will get better next game". Johnson was bad cop, wanny was good cop...well in Buffalo both Gailey and Wanny are good cops so that dynamic isn't working too good...

Whatever you might say, Norv Turner has been an excellent Offensive Coordinator. His record as a HC is very dubious whether it was in Washington or in San Diego. However, he had some big time offense in Miami, San Francisco and San Diego.

Wanny on the other hand has been a fraud.

I don't see what Dave Wannestadt has to do with Ryan Fitzpatrick's inability to throw downfield. Lets look at the real reason we're losing games, folks.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Im sorry I didn't know Payton was the DC and HC

If you think the reason the Saints are not as good a team this year is not because of Sean Payton then you do not understand football. The Saints do not have a head coach! Payton brings that entie team together. He holds everyone accountable. Sorry but watch the Saints next year with HIM.

I don't see what Dave Wannestadt has to do with Ryan Fitzpatrick's inability to throw downfield. Lets look at the real reason we're losing games, folks.

You may not like Fitzpatrick, but when a team puts up 34 points on a lousy Tenessee team they should win. The Bills are scoring enough to win games. If the defense was at all half decent we would be 5-2 or better right now.

I disagree. I believe coaches and other players have the ability to give extra motivation to others. Jim Harbaugh's motor never stops. It has rubbed off on his players. I've watched almost every niner game in the past decade and their intensity is at an all time high. Partly due to Harbaugh. Ray Lewis gets that raven D pumped up. He motivates them more than they already are. Looking at our defense play, yeah the scheme sucks, but they don't have the intensity of a ray Lewis or Jim Harbaugh led defense. Our offensive line coach is an extremely intense coach. Since his addition, our Oline has become much better (talent wise as well) and much tougher.

Players should be motivated in their own. That doesn't mean a coach can't add to that.

Agree. These players are human beings, highly paid, but still human beings. There's a spectrum from just going through the motions to adequately doing your job to putting everthing you have into doing your job. How easy is it to put everything you have into your job if your boss and everyone above him is incompetent? Then you look at your paycheck, the punishing nature of the game, the incompetent FO again and where are players going to end up on that spectrum? Anyone who's ever worked for incompetent superiors knows how diffficult it is to maintain enthusiasm for the job.

You may not like Fitzpatrick, but when a team puts up 34 points on a lousy Tenessee team they should win. The Bills are scoring enough to win games. If the defense was at all half decent we would be 5-2 or better right now.

A better QB scores more points than the other team. Period. Fitzpatrick is the SOLE reason this team is below .500!!!

Agree. These players are human beings, highly paid, but still human beings. There's a spectrum from just going through the motions to adequately doing your job to putting everthing you have into doing your job. How easy is it to put everything you have into your job if your boss and everyone above him is incompetent? Then you look at your paycheck, the punishing nature of the game, the incompetent FO again and where are players going to end up on that spectrum? Anyone who's ever worked for incompetent superiors knows how diffficult it is to maintain enthusiasm for the job.

Thank you. A very small handful of people have been pointing this out since the consecutive blowouts to New England and San Francisco.

There are many motivating factors: money, professionalism, pride, and BELIEF IN THEIR LEADER.

When you have incompetent managers who squander your effort due to their ineptitude, you soon destroy the spirit and belief within the team.

Bottom line, if the Bills believed in Wanny, they would play hard because they'd know their efforts were likely to be rewarded.

However they know that every Sunday, they are being put in a position of failure due to their leader being outcoached by their opponent's leader.

The players know that even if they were to give the utmost effort, that their efforts would be wasted.

At some point the group becomes demoralized because they have zero belief in their leader.

When a team quits on a coach, they are saying "I'm not playing for this guy anymore. You can fire all of us or you can fire him."

Thank you. A very small handful of people have been pointing this out since the consecutive blowouts to New England and San Francisco.

There are many motivating factors: money, professionalism, pride, and BELIEF IN THEIR LEADER.

When you have incompetent managers who squander your effort due to their ineptitude, you soon destroy the spirit and belief within the team.

Bottom line, if the Bills believed in Wanny, they would play hard because they'd know their efforts were likely to be rewarded.

However they know that every Sunday, they are being put in a position of failure due to their leader being outcoached by their opponent's leader.

The players know that even if they were to give the utmost effort, that their efforts would be wasted.

At some point the group becomes demoralized because they have zero belief in their leader.

When a team quits on a coach, they are saying "I'm not playing for this guy anymore. You can fire all of us or you can fire him."

I think this might have more to do with it than people think. My friend Brian Kozlowski from Webster played more than a dozen seasons in the NFL for the Giants, Falcons, and the Skins. He said if you feel like you're getting outcoached or that you were out-prepared by the other team, it becomes obvious on the field and creates apathy immediately. He said pro athletes are the same as anybody--if you are working hard but your boss is inept or lazy or both, then you start to not care as much.

You still show up and you still work but there's a huge difference.

On the other hand, I'm inclined to think that if you line up the best 11 guys your GM has given you on defense and your opponent simply hands off and runs straight at you and you can't stop them from moving the chains time after time, it's not the DC's fault.

Pass pressure and coverage stuff is different, but flat out NOT stopping the run when you know it's coming means you don't have the skills on the field.

No different from Marv Levy.......

Marv was very hands on, particularly with the special teams. A big reason why the Bills special teams was so good.

He also had input into the offense. If you notice the Bills started out in 1986 with Jim Ringo as the Bills OC (1985-1988) who was the OC under Hank Bullough. Ringo stayed with the team from 86-87-88. Now under Bullough / Ringo in 86 the Bills threw more then they ran 499-419. After Bullough was fired and Levy took over the team in 87 they went 516-465 pass vs run. Then in 88 with the addition of Thurman Thomas the Bills went 454-528 pass vs run they finished at 12-4 with Jim Ringo as the OC.

After the 88 season Jim Ringo retired and Marv hired ex Colt HC Ted Marchibroda in 89! This was a pure balls move IMO because Marv had wherewithal to hire someone more knowledgeable then himself about the offense, and perhaps even running the entire team. Under Marchibroda Jim Kelly learned to call his own plays, the Bills refined the K-gun and no huddle to an art form while rolling up some of the best offensive numbers the NFL had ever seen.

I was in attendance at the 1988 AFC Championship game in Cincy where the Bills first started using the "no huddle" offense against the same team that started it all. It was Marv's idea to use the no huddle which Jim Kelly and Co. would make famous in later years. I don't suppose anyone else remembers the Bills driving late in the game into Bengal territory and suddenly the game clock went out. So the refs kept the time on the field. Great way for the Cincy fans to screw with Buffalo's ability to run the no huddle.

Anyway, don't compare an utter craphead Chan Gailey (13-26) to HoF HC Marv levy 112-70 while with Buffalo, and 11-8 in the playoffs. Marv was a supreme motivator, offense, defense and special teams...just ask his ex players

P.S. Chan Gailey has the RB's to build a dominate running team into a winner! Instead its just a shame the last 3 years all Gailey has wanted to do was try and magically transform a backup QB into Tom Brady. Then running 4-5 WR spread shotgun empty backfield sets with only one decent WR on the field :doh: