Junk 'n Stuff: Insight Needed on Mario's Magical Mystery Surge

Does anyone know, or have an educated guess, what actually went down here--from a medical and PR perspective?

Mario says this:

"I just had it cleaned up. I mean from whatever I injured earlier on in the year. There was a bunch of junk and stuff that was in there. That's the reason why I couldn't have motion and couldn't really use it... I couldn't tell you exactly the terminology of that. I mean they cleaned it up. I wasn't awake, so I don't know. It is what it is, basically just cleaning it out."

Just "cleaned up?" "Junk and stuff?" WTF is that? Makes as much as sense as Wanny's repeated use of the phrase "not fitting it up."

You have an $98 million wrist, and don't know (or you're not saying) what the procedure was? And you text the front office about it? And, supposedly, they knew, but that's not what the previous stories implied. Further, the Buffalo staff weren't able to clean out some junk? (And stuff).

Whole thing is bizarre from this fan's viewpoint.

I can't think of anything else it would be besides getting his wrist "scoped."

Basically, many types of wrist injuries result in ligament scarring. The getting it "scoped" means the Dr. goes in and removes the scar tissue. The wrist regains mobility and there is less pain.

Here's a pretty straightforward and not too technical explanation: http://www.assh.org/Public/HandConditions/Pages/Wristarthroscopy.aspx

Yeah, I got surgery to help with pressure. I got x to fix y. Not rocket science, even for an atlete.

The reporters were pressing him for a reason. If you really don't think this episode wasn't bizarre, don't know what to say.

He had arthoscopic surgery. Look that up and tell me if its a big deal. To me it says, Mario isnt worried about it and is ready to play football finally healthy.

I think your looking for more reasons to run this guy out of town.

I can't think of anything else it would be besides getting his wrist "scoped."

Basically, many types of wrist injuries result in ligament scarring. The getting it "scoped" means the Dr. goes in and removes the scar tissue. The wrist regains mobility and there is less pain.

Here's a pretty straightforward and not too technical explanation: http://www.assh.org/...rthroscopy.aspx

Makes sense. When I think of surgery, I think of something more serious (and invasive). Thanks for the share.

Yeah, I got surgery to help with pressure. I got x to fix y. Not rocket science, even for an atlete.

The reporters were pressing him for a reason. If you really don't think this episode wasn't bizarre, don't know what to say.

i mean, they went in and removed some scar tissue most likely... he called the scar tissue "junk," and the removal "cleaning up." are we that baffled by whats going on here? is it that absurd he would use the terminology? this is a complete non-issue with a player thats not absolutely hated by the fans.

I've heard of people having their knee joint flushed arthroscopically to remove broken bits of cartilage that are floating inside the joint and make the trying to do the entire range of motion very painful or impossible. Could be the dude had something like that done. Incisions are about 1/4 - 1/3 inch long. They're closed with a single stitch that get removed about 7 days later.

He had arthoscopic surgery. Look that up and tell me if its a big deal. To me it says, Mario isnt worried about it and is ready to play football finally healthy.

I think your looking for more reasons to run this guy out of town.

i mean really the whole thing could be VERY blown up here.

the reports that he no showed on monday - it was the monday of a bye week - was he even expected to be there?

that he texted a trainer and his position coach that he was going to get it taken care of by his doctor and be back to work the following week? the text very well could have laid out the procedure and been replied to with "go for it." people acted like he disappeared and texted some intern that he was getting surgery and told the team to screw themselves. word is nix has spoken with his doctor - was that beforehand? really its a basic procedure from the sounds of it, and he did it at precisely the right time.

I've heard of people having their knee joint flushed arthroscopically to remove broken bits of cartilage that are floating inside the joint and make the trying to do the entire range of motion very painful or impossible. Could be the dude had something like that done. Incisions are about 1/4 - 1/3 inch long. They're closed with a single stitch that get removed about 7 days later.

essentially this sounds like exactly the type of procedure that he opted to have done. details of it we dont know but broad strokes id say it fits exactly what we have heard the whole way.

theres definitely some smoke around mario and how hes handled stuff - but we really dont know if theres fire here yet.

It's kind of like excuse are like A holes every one has one & they usually stink !! Which in this case Mario's excuse for his ineptness on the field is his wrist .

Heck i can remember guys that have played on the offensive & defensive line in years past that have played with BROKEN ARMS in a cast !! That played for a lot less money too !!

Unless this guy comes out in the second half f the season on fire he will be run out of town on a rail !

He may play good in this game this week because he will be motivated by the fact that he is going back to his old team & wants to show them that they made a mistake by letting him go .

IMHO the following week will be the tell all , if he plays well this week & then disappears again after then we will all be able to tell what he is made of , MONEY MONEY MONEY !!

i mean, they went in and removed some scar tissue most likely... he called the scar tissue "junk," and the removal "cleaning up." are we that baffled by whats going on here? is it that absurd he would use the terminology? this is a complete non-issue with a player thats not absolutely hated by the fans.

Thanks for the translation.

As for the other part: Player is the highest paid defensive player of all time. Team gets fined for not reporting the injury. Player seems to go off without permission to get surgery. Player, according to ESPN, texts FO about it. Coach says he has no clue what's going on. All player says is junk n stuff. Then says team knew about it.

Disagree with your analysis.

And I have nothing against him, and I imagine every fan--even those whose bashed him--hopes the surgery works.

Thanks for the translation.

As for the other part: Player is the highest paid defensive player of all time. Team gets fined for not reporting the injury. Player seems to go off without permission to get surgery. Player, according to ESPN, texts FO about it. Coach says he has no clue what's going on. All player says is junk n stuff. Then says team knew about it.

Disagree with your analysis.

And I have nothing against him, and I imagine every fan--even those whose bashed him--hopes the surgery works.

if not for the distaste towards him, it wouldnt have been reported as such in the first place would be my guess.

these are pretty common procedures.

like i said - was this an off day? very likely. but it was reported as a no-show, which makes it sound like he snuck out of town. just one example.

further, its not like mario did anything wrong by not listing it. unless you are mad that he didnt hide it when asked... though it appeared to be no secret.

does chan ever give detailed injury reports? i recall him, and most coaches giving vague and uninformative answers.

again, because its a lot of these, ill give you that theres some smoke around the issue, but if we werent upset with his play people wouldnt be screaming fire (or searching for one to report on).

Edited by NoSaint

You're grasping for straws here...looking to do whatever you can to blame him... taking simple comments out of context...

Edited by stony

Football player or not, most people who have a procedure serious enough that they go under usually take enough time to get educated on what's being done to their body.

Probably not people that have so many surgeries and issues as professional football players. Sure, some things that are major like a knee injury and surgery. Or a torn something. But when you go to the doctor and they say, we'll, it looks like a quick 45 min surgery. No big deal. You'll be out less than a week. I doubt they pay much attention to those as they have surely had so many it would be hard to decipher between them all.

It was a all issue. It was taken care of. No big deal. Lets get back to playing some football.

Turns out Levitre had surgery too..... What a malcontent!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/29/bills-getting-healthier-on-the-offensive-line/

And chan was likewise vague.

And was levitre on the injury report? I honestly don't recall.

Probably not people that have so many surgeries and issues as professional football players. Sure, some things that are major like a knee injury and surgery. Or a torn something. But when you go to the doctor and they say, we'll, it looks like a quick 45 min surgery. No big deal. You'll be out less than a week. I doubt they pay much attention to those as they have surely had so many it would be hard to decipher between them all.

It was a all issue. It was taken care of. No big deal. Lets get back to playing some football.

Exactly. It would be nearly on par with asking what was in the cold medicine you took, or pain reliever.

I was sick so I took some NyQuil. My wrist hurt so they cleaned it up.

Slight exaggeration..... but its really common for these guys to be touched up

arthroscopy is basically a (minor) surgical procedure wherein a flexible tube with an attached camera is inserted into any joint space. it doesn't necessary mean surgery was done - it can be done simply to "take a look". if the joint space is clean, no intervention is done. if there is something wrong (debris of any sort, bony, ligamentous), the surgeon has the option of correcting it right then and there.

kinda like a colonoscopy - sometimes the gastroenterologist takes a look and gives you a clean bill of health. sometimes a polyp is found and the doctor can go ahead and remove it.

a clean joint space is a happy, pain-free, full range of motion joint space. any 'debris' can cause problems with any of these aspects.

arthroscopy is generally a same day procedure, done in an outpatient surgical center - very low risk.

Turns out Levitre had surgery too..... What a malcontent!

http://profootballta...offensive-line/

[yawn]

There was drama, and mystery, and bad PR, surrounding Mario's surgery from the get-go. It's a legitimate question/concern for a Bills fan to have. Besides, Mario was supposed to be the second coming of Bruce Smith. No one outside of Buffalo Nation knows who Levitre is.

Which one of you guys is Jerry Sullivan?

I watched the interview on bb.com. Some of you guys are just looking for reasons to rip him. Complaints about this interview are much ado about nothing. I am more interested in his play on the field.

I thought that the media would be happy that he answered questions on a Monday (in addition to Wednesday and Sunday).

Maybe one of the reporters tripped over Mario's refrigerator.

Does anyone know, or have an educated guess, what actually went down here--from a medical and PR perspective?

Mario says this:

"I just had it cleaned up. I mean from whatever I injured earlier on in the year. There was a bunch of junk and stuff that was in there. That's the reason why I couldn't have motion and couldn't really use it... I couldn't tell you exactly the terminology of that. I mean they cleaned it up. I wasn't awake, so I don't know. It is what it is, basically just cleaning it out."

Just "cleaned up?" "Junk and stuff?" WTF is that? Makes as much as sense as Wanny's repeated use of the phrase "not fitting it up."

You have an $98 million wrist, and don't know (or you're not saying) what the procedure was? And you text the front office about it? And, supposedly, they knew, but that's not what the previous stories implied. Further, the Buffalo staff weren't able to clean out some junk? (And stuff).

Whole thing is bizarre from this fan's viewpoint.

:wallbash:

[yawn]

There was drama, and mystery, and bad PR, surrounding Mario's surgery from the get-go. It's a legitimate question/concern for a Bills fan to have. Besides, Mario was supposed to be the second coming of Bruce Smith. No one outside of Buffalo Nation knows who Levitre is.

[Yawn] You are looking for a reason to hate a guy that doesnt have 58 sacks by now and have already made up you mind when he didnt flatten sanchez on every play in the opener

[Yawn] You are looking for a reason to hate a guy that doesnt have 58 sacks by now and have already made up you mind when he didnt flatten sanchez on every play in the opener

For a guy with great hindsight, you have bad insight.

In all seriousness, my mind, and I think most fans' minds, still isn't made up on him. And I still think he can be great. And I wasn't expecting 58 sacks. Fifty maybe.

For the zillionth time, his comments, and the situation surrounding the surgery, was weird.

Nonetheless, look forward to seeing him on the field Sunday.

The 50 thing was a joke btw.

arthroscopy is basically a (minor) surgical procedure wherein a flexible tube with an attached camera is inserted into any joint space. it doesn't necessary mean surgery was done - it can be done simply to "take a look". if the joint space is clean, no intervention is done. if there is something wrong (debris of any sort, bony, ligamentous), the surgeon has the option of correcting it right then and there.

kinda like a colonoscopy - sometimes the gastroenterologist takes a look and gives you a clean bill of health. sometimes a polyp is found and the doctor can go ahead and remove it.

a clean joint space is a happy, pain-free, full range of motion joint space. any 'debris' can cause problems with any of these aspects.

arthroscopy is generally a same day procedure, done in an outpatient surgical center - very low risk.

thx for the explanation.

For a guy with great hindsight, you have bad insight.

In all seriousness, my mind, and I think most fans' minds, still isn't made up on him. And I still think he can be great. And I wasn't expecting 58 sacks. Fifty maybe.

For the zillionth time, his comments, and the situation surrounding the surgery, was weird.

Nonetheless, look forward to seeing him on the field Sunday.

The 50 thing was a joke btw.

Lets say this: how players and coaches handle and discuss injuries is anything but standardized. What you read into this likely speaks volumes to your pre-conceived notions, good and bad. If you think Mario is lazy and has a problem with authority this was a smoking gun. Especially if you reacted before trying to understand the procedure.

Edited by NoSaint

Simple...he had duodenal distension on the pyloric sphincter and antrum of the gastric corpus. They merely went in there with a skill saw, a pair of needle nose pliers, a jigger of bourbon, and some wet-naps from KFC. Cleaned it up.....feel better?

Sounds like you have my health plan too...

Lets say this: how players and coaches handle and discuss injuries is anything but standardized. What you read into this likely speaks volumes to your pre-conceived notions, good and bad. If you think Mario is lazy and has a problem with authority this was a smoking gun. Especially if you reacted before trying to understand the procedure.

This^

Gailey said, via the team’s website. “He just had something, a procedure, and I hate to use that word, he had something done on his knee. They injected it or they did something to it but he’s fine.”

So basically the HC has no F'ing idea what they did to his knee, but knows said player is fine.

Mario says this:

Perhaps he simply had a high colonic.

So basically the HC has no F'ing idea what they did to his knee, but knows said player is fine.

he gains absolutely nothing from giving detailed reports.

heck, if the docs tell him its minor and he will be up and running for practice this week, he doesnt have much reason to press further.

hes a football coach, not a doctor.

Chan said he was in contact all along with Mario. The conspiracy theory is so much more interesting though

but i want to be angry and think chan is totally befuddled, buddy is MIA and mario does whatever he wants!

he gains absolutely nothing from giving detailed reports.

heck, if the docs tell him its minor and he will be up and running for practice this week, he doesnt have much reason to press further.

hes a football coach, not a doctor.

but i want to be angry and think chan is totally befuddled, buddy is MIA and mario does whatever he wants!

Youre life must be boring! :P

Chan said he was in contact all along with Mario. The conspiracy theory is so much more interesting though

So true. It seems like so many people want to read more into this to fit whatever narrative they have (e.g., Sully).

Hopefully, Mario's pass rushing this weekend and beyond is what we had anticipated and all this BS goes away.

It's kind of like excuse are like A holes every one has one & they usually stink !! Which in this case Mario's excuse for his ineptness on the field is his wrist .

Heck i can remember guys that have played on the offensive & defensive line in years past that have played with BROKEN ARMS in a cast !! That played for a lot less money too !!

Unless this guy comes out in the second half f the season on fire he will be run out of town on a rail !

He may play good in this game this week because he will be motivated by the fact that he is going back to his old team & wants to show them that they made a mistake by letting him go .

IMHO the following week will be the tell all , if he plays well this week & then disappears again after then we will all be able to tell what he is made of , MONEY MONEY MONEY !!

And people wonder why the Bills have trouble attracting big names in free agency. If I were a free agent and saw the way Mario's been treated by some Bills fans, I'd never want to sign here.