FRANKENSTORM!!!!!

GG

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it Photoshopped too?

Reports of a huge fire in Breezy Point destroying 80 - 100 homes. Man those Photoshop artists are keeping mighty busy.

I figured it was, but as of late last night, snopes still wasn't sure. They figured it out this afternoon...........About halfway down this page. This is a pretty good run down of the fakes vs. real ones:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/instasnopes-sorting-the-real-sandy-photos-from-the-fakes/264243/

We were lucky. Got a few inches of water in part of the basement, only because the float got blocked that turns on the pump.

A very large branch pulled my cable, phone, and power lines off the house, but did not break the connection. Waiting for power company to move branches, and hook up wires safely.

rochester ny

We were lucky. Got a few inches of water in part of the basement, only because the float got blocked that turns on the pump.

A very large branch pulled my cable, phone, and power lines off the house, but did not break the connection. Waiting for power company to move branches, and hook up wires safely.

rochester ny

Is babyrock away at school? Can't remember, but hope everyone is safe..just hard to imagine WNY being affected by a hurricane.

water in basement again :censored:

But if thats the extent of it Ill consider myself lucky.

others have it a lot worse

No wind damage? Best to all of you down in NYC! and all long the coast, I have a storage space in Jersey city, really, really hoping it stayed dry.

No wind damage? Best to all of you down in NYC! and all long the coast, I have a storage space in Jersey city, really, really hoping it stayed dry.

No wind 2nd year in a row. Basement flooded 2nd year in a row. Seems like the biggest problem for the whole city is the Hudson & East Rivers overflowing their banks. Gov Cuomo had a good line when commenting how they need to come up with a better system: "We're having a 100 year flood every year now."

Subway video from MTA

No wind 2nd year in a row. Basement flooded 2nd year in a row. Seems like the biggest problem for the whole city is the Hudson & East Rivers overflowing their banks. Gov Cuomo had a good line when commenting how they need to come up with a better system: "We're having a 100 year flood every year now."

Subway video from MTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xkdv0H31d8&feature=share

If they wall it off there will be people outside the wall getting flooded that weren't before. It has been a problem here in Bangkok (whose flood last year IMO was a political man made disaster) and people eventually find ways to sabotage it (which is why I had to leave for a month last year until it was all finally worked out to drain it away).

Anyway sounds like you were lucky. Keep safe, clean up takes time and best of luck.

I am on generator power, lost the den, had 7 feet in my lower level, still trying to get some help figuring out how to right an oil tank. Lost a boston whaler with its trailer for a bit, a neighbor clued me in and I found iit a block away. The boat that was tied to the dock was hung up on one of the posts. We finally waded in during the second high tide and freed it. GOing in now to drain more and rip oyt flooring and walls in the den

Still without power in Philly. I live right in the city in a neighborhood called Northern Liberties, which is slightly north of Old City and right on the water. The power went out at 7pm on Monday night. PECO says that we have to call back this afternoon just to get an estimate on what time it may come back on. Because we live on a small, tertiary road and only a dozen or so homes have been affected, we have been warned that it could be a few more days until we finally get it back on.

This pales in comparison to the Queens blackout of 2006, where I was without power for 10 days. It ran concurrently to a heat wave, which made living conditions unbearable.

I am on generator power, lost the den, had 7 feet in my lower level, still trying to get some help figuring out how to right an oil tank. Lost a boston whaler with its trailer for a bit, a neighbor clued me in and I found iit a block away. The boat that was tied to the dock was hung up on one of the posts. We finally waded in during the second high tide and freed it. GOing in now to drain more and rip oyt flooring and walls in the den

Sounds rogh Guff..good luck in the coming days. 7 feet sounds like a ton of water, glad to hear you are safe though

Have a personal update on the Frankenstorm.

I'm currently in a cafe at an Equinox gym in Rockefeller Center (never been more glad to have an Equinox membership), charging my computer and phone. My apartment building is without power or water, and likely won't have either for a few more days. The building across the street has power, as well as pretty much any other building in Manhattan going uptown from where we are. We had the unfortunate luck of being the last building on our power grid :(.

Right now, we need to walk up 30 flights of stairs to get up to our room. My dog hasn't pooped in days because he's stubborn - thankfully, he's peed in the kitchen. We can't walk him down the stairs (or up) because he has a torn ACL, and we can't carry him because he's too big.

Thankfully, that's the biggest of my problems. I've been one of lucky ones. There's still plenty of folks that I know that have been evac'd from their apartments, and currently don't have a place to stay, so our prayers go out to them!

I'm with Tom, I'm realy interested to hear from our so called survivalist. I think he probably OD'd on bong hits.

Have a personal update on the Frankenstorm.

I'm currently in a cafe at an Equinox gym in Rockefeller Center (never been more glad to have an Equinox membership), charging my computer and phone. My apartment building is without power or water, and likely won't have either for a few more days. The building across the street has power, as well as pretty much any other building in Manhattan going uptown from where we are. We had the unfortunate luck of being the last building on our power grid :(.

Right now, we need to walk up 30 flights of stairs to get up to our room. My dog hasn't pooped in days because he's stubborn - thankfully, he's peed in the kitchen. We can't walk him down the stairs (or up) because he has a torn ACL, and we can't carry him because he's too big.

Thankfully, that's the biggest of my problems. I've been one of lucky ones. There's still plenty of folks that I know that have been evac'd from their apartments, and currently don't have a place to stay, so our prayers go out to them!

That's why cats are better they poop in a box. But seriously I feel for ou dog. Poor guy.

Edited by Chef Jim

Who is that again?

Pete, I believe.

We got power back overnight. There was a light on in a house nearby that we know doesn't have a generator, so I unhooked ours, threw the switches and flipped the main back on. Lights! Internet (cable) came back shortly after. We survived, as ever.

Lots of wind. Very strong gusts even here in NE CT, which generally has a nice buffer and our unique spot which is surrounded by hills on three sides. Whitecaps on our lake... but I got a picture of some damned fool who was !@#$ing kayaking at about 4 p.m. right before the height of the storm. Trees were blowing fierce and I'm really glad that our power company had come around this summer and cut lots of trees, including a huge hulker V-notched red oak in our front yard. Seriously, it had a 6 1/2 ft. base and was 128 years old, according to the ring count. It'd been losing branches for a long time and had a serious cavity right at the notch where water collected and come to find out, went right down to the base. That water freezes, splits the tree and takes down power lines it would've been a cold mess. Averted. Some people have been pissed about the cutting. It's fine by me.

The surge was more severe west of new haven but some houses and restaraunts did get taken out. We had high winds (85 mph), little rain. My town and surrounding towns power is out. Poor New Jersey. They got the brunt. Amazing storm. Lowest ever barometric reading. An average hurricane is 300 miles wide- sandy was 1000. Nyc will be interesting. As will the election. Interesting times we live in

The surge was more severe west of new haven but some houses and restaraunts did get taken out. We had high winds (85 mph), little rain. My town and surrounding towns power is out. Poor New Jersey. They got the brunt. Amazing storm. Lowest ever barometric reading. An average hurricane is 300 miles wide- sandy was 1000. Nyc will be interesting. As will the election. Interesting times we live in

I pictured you out there in a toga or some look like Tom Hanks in Castaway. Glad you and others are ok.

What a dork .... irresponsible too

"As Superstorm Sandy slammed into the East Coast on Monday night, one Twitter user in New York City posted a flurry of alarming reports about fallout from the storm -- from plans to shut down all power in Manhattan to floodwaters pouring into the New York Stock Exchange ..... And, it turns out, many of them were outright lies. They were apparently posted by a Wall Street analyst who doubled as campaign manager for a candidate for Congress. After a blogger exposed him, the analyst apologized on Twitter Tuesday night amid a flood of online scorn and left the campaign. An elected official is pushing for criminal charges."

http://edition.cnn.c...hoax/index.html

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Is babyrock away at school? Can't remember, but hope everyone is safe..just hard to imagine WNY being affected by a hurricane.

Babyrock is married and living in Connecticut. Not in a flood area, but as many of us, was worried about power outages. She made it through ok and got a day off work. *-)

I have seen more power trucks and convoys headed north then normal. Saw Alabama Power convoy this morning. 12 rigs deep, 4 generator trucks, 2 supply and 3 with a D6N, back hoe and bobcat.

Too bad the sighting is in NC and not NJ :)

Anyone see a PSEG truck, let me know.

Thanks! I am sorry guffalo about your situation. Still no power by me. I like it! Bonfire and ghost stories last night, ice cold beers, trail mix, French drip coffee- this is fun!

Boy, you would of had a blast during the SF earthquake of 1906. Glad you're enjoying this disaster. :rolleyes:

Boy, you would of had a blast during the SF earthquake of 1906. Glad you're enjoying this disaster. :rolleyes:

Just another evening to be carefree.

PS - it would be nice to get a win this weekend to take the edge off.

Edited by GG