Merriman not in his natural position , OLB, Why???

MClem06

45 members have voted

1. 1. Is Merriman a DE?

• Yes
    • No

I just watched an old school video of Merriman when he was terrorizing QB's in San Diego and he was playing OLB on every one of the plays getting to the QB. Why do we have him at DE when he's obviously a situational pass Rusher at OLB? Why do Wanny and Chan feel he is a DE? Isn't it crazy to think that part of his problem of getting back to his old form is due to us making him put a hand to the ground on every play he's in?

This past game i had the opporunity to rewatch all 7 snaps he was in and on the first snap he took in particular he had come off the ball so fast and got a hurry on the QB that the tackle gaurding him looked stupid. On the other seven plays he had trouble winning the hand battles with the tackle and I'm no DC but it makes sense to me that his role in SD was to get around the tackle not hand battle with him. I would love to see him switch him to a 3rd down LB not an every down DE. I think we'd get much more out of him this way.

I just watched an old school video of Merriman when he was terrorizing QB's in San Diego and he was playing OLB on every one of the plays getting to the QB. Why do we have him at DE when he's obviously a situational pass Rusher at OLB? Why do Wanny and Chan feel he is a DE? Isn't it crazy to think that part of his problem of getting back to his old form is due to us making him put a hand to the ground on every play he's in?

This past game i had the opporunity to rewatch all 7 snaps he was in and on the first snap he took in particular he had come off the ball so fast and got a hurry on the QB that the tackle gaurding him looked stupid. On the other seven plays he had trouble winning the hand battles with the tackle and I'm no DC but it makes sense to me that his role in SD was to get around the tackle not hand battle with him. I would love to see him switch him to a 3rd down LB not an every down DE. I think we'd get much more out of him this way.

The responsibilities of a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 OLB are not the same. A 3-4 OLB most closely translates to a 4-3 DE. This is exactly what happened with Mario on the Texans. He was a 4-3 DE up until last year when Wade Philips implemented a 3-4 D, which he played as an OLB.

His natural position is as an edge rusher.

In the 3-4 (what San Diego used to run), that would be OLB.

In the 4-3 (what we run), that would be DE.

There are certainly differences in the two schemes and not everyone is equipped to switch from one to the other. 3-4 OLBs usually rush from a standing position. 4-3 DEs usually rush with a hand on the ground.

If Merriman was to play OLB in the 4-3, he would be doing less rushing the passer (actually none in Wannstedt's system) and doing more run support and pass coverage. That would definitely be a bad idea.

It's more of a stretch to move to DE in a 4-3 than it is moving an OLB who traditionally played in a 3-4 defense to OLB on a 4-3 (most NFL defensive players are schooled in hybrid defenses so switching from 4-3 to 3-4 and vice versa is not asking the impossible). I say at least try it because our linebacking core is the drizzlin' *****. I've seen more tackling ability playing backyard football. However I wouldn't mind seeing Merriman given more opportunities rotating with Kelsay at DE because I saw a lot of push when he was in there albeit in a limited capacity. I think he just needs more of an opportunity post surgery and if someone wants to argue that the Bills cut him for a reason, are you going to tell me that this club has been a good judge of talent? Also I would ABSOLUTELY bench Mario (even tho that would never happen with this organization because there is no accountability) and replace him with Kyle Moore on the other side. We'll see how this whole surgery deal plays out tho.

he would line up on the line often standing, much like clay matthews does in GB. he was and is primarily a pass rusher. using him at a lb would be pointless as he would just be pass rushing. kirk morrison however should be playing lb. merriman just needs to make a couple of plays

He is an edge rusher and size-wise he is the same size to many DEs around the league. He played the Leo position/DE in college which is a combination standup DE. This is the same position that Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin are making famous in Seattle. It isn't clear how they are intending to use him, but he was standing up some in the game on Sunday.

His natural position is as an edge rusher.

In the 3-4 (what San Diego used to run), that would be OLB.

In the 4-3 (what we run), that would be DE.

There are certainly differences in the two schemes and not everyone is equipped to switch from one to the other. 3-4 OLBs usually rush from a standing position. 4-3 DEs usually rush with a hand on the ground.

If Merriman was to play OLB in the 4-3, he would be doing less rushing the passer (actually none in Wannstedt's system) and doing more run support and pass coverage. That would definitely be a bad idea.

This^

I just watched an old school video of Merriman when he was terrorizing QB's in San Diego

Unfortunately, his "natural position" back then was at the business end of a syringe filled with anabolic steroids. Alas, his roid rage is gone and he's left like many of them--injury prone and washed up too early. a shame.

So in the end the question is: Make him a dobwhat or a monster?

If I was coaching and I evaluated my players overall. I would find no reason to keep my best players on the field. If that is Merriman on ST or even TE. I would find a way to use what I have.

In my opinion, based on what I know. He is a better OLB 3-4 then a DE 4-3 at this point. I would be very tempted to run a 3-3 or 4-4 with Merriman on certain situations. I can break those down if anyone wants.

If I was coaching and I evaluated my players overall. I would find no reason to keep my best players on the field. If that is Merriman on ST or even TE. I would find a way to use what I have.

In my opinion, based on what I know. He is a better OLB 3-4 then a DE 4-3 at this point. I would be very tempted to run a 3-3 or 4-4 with Merriman on certain situations. I can break those down if anyone wants.

What's a 3-3?

If the rest of the team can't fill gaps consistently in a base 4-3 then what will additional front combinations add?

What's a 3-3?

Amazing defense that most people see and think a dime.

http://www.33stackdefense.com/ googled it for you, found a wonderful article.

http://en.wikipedia....€"3â€"5_defense

The 3-3-5 is what we would do last year with the 3-4 putting Scott in as an LB, Florence, Rogers, whoever the other CB was, and our safeties. We did it a lot, actually, and played the 3-3. Imagine Merriman in the rover position...the biggest problem is that everyone knows he cannot cover, but if all he does is chip whoever is in front of him and roll to the strongside flat drawing a blocker...it's not that bad. There is a reason it is called the stacked or spread defense, which is why it is popular in high school and college.

However, right now, our DL cannot control the LOS. Give it time, they might. Without the adequate Mike in the middle we cannot run this, as we do not have the player able to shed the garbage the DL lets get to him. The Mike must scrape, as effectively, any running plays get funneled right to him, and the SS would be the backup to stop him. Remember Whitner? He had lots of tackles because our LB's couldn't stop a nosebleed because our DL was a turnstyle leaving them exposed.

Now, lets look at Bryan Scott and Shawn Merriman. If the first one is swiss army knife the other is a weed whacker. Scott can do a lot of things on defense, he is reliable, useful in a pinch, and can do many things that many others cannot. He has a big tool bag, but no big tools. Merriman is a weed whacker. Something that you use to get a certain job done. You cannot use it to do your whole lawn because it'll burn out. You can't use it take a big tree down, duh. But, you can open that thing up when you have the right spot and the right job. Merriman is not going to beat down the OL and take the big guys out. He is not going to cover the entire field, he's just not that athletic. What he is going to do is take advantage of what he has, find the right route and get to the QB. If we can find a way to get a swiss army knife and a weed whacker on the field, we can introduce match up issues that teams will eventually adjust to...see the Patriots. When these adjustments are made, shift the scheme, put Merrimans hand down, rush him, drop a DL like Anderson did, and blitz a CB. Adjust!

Three down lineman and an edge rusher lined up against a tight end or off the line altogether. Think Von Miller in passing situations, though it's more of a 3-2 in NFL practice

I do not want to insult anyone, but the casual fan just sees 4 guys in the front and 3 guys behind them, 4-3. Or see a guy on the roster as a safety and see him near the line and don't get it. Yeah, how can you disguise where the rush is coming from? We just recently had a game where the players didn't even put their hands down much...good move!

If the rest of the team can't fill gaps consistently in a base 4-3 then what will additional front combinations add?

Confusion on blocking assignments and when the correct defense is called on the correct schemes, pressure to the QB. To play defense against the run all you need to do is stick to your lane! Run defense is extremely hard to do, but extremely easy to defend. Passing defense is not. Just one thing...there was another thread talking about how QB's now are way different. They check down quick, pass quick and don't really play QB like they used to. Yup. True. This is why exotic blitz's are going away. This is why when you have Dick LeBeau doing your defense he has to change his schemes every 5 plays. The NFL is going the way of a run oriented league.

Edited by jboyst62

Merriman's natural position is 3-4 OLB.

I suggest you consider reading something about the different roles of the OLB in a 3-4 and a 4-3, and the different roles of a DE in a 3-4 vs a 4-3.

Essentially, the role of a 3-4 OLB maps most closely into the role of a 4-3 DE.

That said, successful teams find a way to put their best players into roles where they can best succeed, but flexibility/adaptability don't seem to be hallmarks of Wannstache's D

He's never played 43 olb, so I'm not sure how it became his natural position.

Ya but he is a football player & at one time a very good one so what do we have to lose by trying it a couple of 3rd downs ?? a big run for say 13 yards or so , hell were doing that now .

Let the guy see what he can give , what is the big difference between a 4/3 OLB & a 3/4 OLB i know there are different assignments but is it that different if the guy is a football player ???

Ya but he is a football player & at one time a very good one so what do we have to lose by trying it a couple of 3rd downs ?? a big run for say 13 yards or so , hell were doing that now .

Let the guy see what he can give , what is the big difference between a 4/3 OLB & a 3/4 OLB i know there are different assignments but is it that different if the guy is a football player ???

Guys go from Formula one cars to Nascar & Dirt track to Nascar & Bush & Trucks to Nascar so why not 3/4 OLB to 4/3 OLB ??

It's worth a couple of plays especially with what our LB corp is showing right now !!