Players blame themselves, not coaching [Williams,Barnett,Kelsay]

uncle flap

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure what to make of this quote, “You’re only as good as the effort you put forth. I don’t care who it is,” said Kelsay. “I’d take Mario Williamsicon-article-link.gif at full health and full speed probably over anybody else in the league. At the same time I’d take Sean Ferguson, who we cut, over a guy that’s playing 50 percent, and I think our coaches would too. The playmakers have to make plays and the way you do that is giving all out effort every play.”

Was Kelsay taking a shot at Mario?

Im not sure what to make of this quote, “You’re only as good as the effort you put forth. I don’t care who it is,” said Kelsay. “I’d take Mario Williamsicon-article-link.gif at full health and full speed probably over anybody else in the league. At the same time I’d take Sean Ferguson, who we cut, over a guy that’s playing 50 percent, and I think our coaches would too. The playmakers have to make plays and the way you do that is giving all out effort every play.”

Was Kelsay taking a shot at Mario?

yowza - that seems pretty direct.

only thing is.... if the coaches feel the same, wheres the move to get those guys off the field?

Wow...wonder who he could be talking about...50% of our Front Four...IE Marcell and Mario??

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-chris-kelsay-questions-teammates-205949667--nfl.html

Now, only if the rest of the team decided to play the game their being paid for the whole game....then we could really see where the problems with this team reside.

I miss the days of Tasker and Talley....where it was 150% emotion and heart every damn play..

Saw Talley waving the Ralley Flag before game....I think he needs to be in the damn locker room kicking some rear ends and telling the players they dont deserve to wear the Bills Helmets that they sport!!

These jokers need to earn it damn it...They got paid, now prove your worth every damn cent of that paycheck your gladly cashing!!!

I read this today and i think he is really talking about one person. If thats the case i am damned proud of him.

"“If you aren’t going to give us everything you’ve got you shouldn’t be on the field,” he said. “I don’t care who you are. Obviously I’m not the one to make those decisions because I’m in that mix. I’m not pointing the finger. I’m looking in the mirror myself first and foremost. If you’re not going to, you shouldn’t play "

He is talking about Williams i think. He could be including others.

Regardless of his ability because i dont want to hear any Chris bashing.

I think the truth has come out. Williams is truly skating. At least Anderson hustled all game long.

Whaddya think? Is he calling him out?

It's not Mario. Also, always make sure to post the source when copying content from somewhere else, don't want SDS to get in trouble!

Anyway, from here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/22/bills-chris-kelsay-rips-teammates-who-arent-playing-hard/

Kelsay didn’t name any names of teammates who aren’t trying, although he did suggest that Mario Williams isn’t going 100 percent because he’s hurt.

“I’d take Mario Williams at full health and full speed probably over anybody else in the league,” Kelsay said. “At the same time I’d take Sean Ferguson, who we cut, over a guy that’s playing 50 percent, and I think our coaches would too. The playmakers have to make plays and the way you do that is giving all out effort every play.”

WOW. Finally someone standing up. Love the accountability. Sounds to me like he is calling out Mario. Just got to read between the lines. LOVE IT!

Kelsay wasn’t pulling any punches. After watching the tape there is only one conclusion he can reach.

“If you aren’t going to give us everything you’ve got you shouldn’t be on the field,” he said. “I don’t care who you are. Obviously I’m not the one to make those decisions because I’m in that mix. I’m not pointing the finger. I’m looking in the mirror myself first and foremost. If you’re not going to, you shouldn’t play.”

Kelsay doesn’t deny that the effort issue is a big problem for a team, but he insists it will be addressed. And if the starters seeing the most time can’t give their best effort on every play, the veteran end said he’d rather line up with a less talented player who will.

“You’re only as good as the effort you put forth. I don’t care who it is,” said Kelsay. “I’d take Mario Williamsicon-article-link.gif at full health and full speed probably over anybody else in the league. At the same time I’d take Sean Ferguson, who we cut, over a guy that’s playing 50 percent, and I think our coaches would too. The playmakers have to make plays and the way you do that is giving all out effort every play.”

Edited by Cville Bills

WOW. Finally someone standing up. Love the accountability. Sounds to me like he is calling out Mario. Just got to read between the lines. LOVE IT!

Kelsay wasn’t pulling any punches. After watching the tape there is only one conclusion he can reach.

“If you aren’t going to give us everything you’ve got you shouldn’t be on the field,” he said. “I don’t care who you are. Obviously I’m not the one to make those decisions because I’m in that mix. I’m not pointing the finger. I’m looking in the mirror myself first and foremost. If you’re not going to, you shouldn’t play.”

Kelsay doesn’t deny that the effort issue is a big problem for a team, but he insists it will be addressed. And if the starters seeing the most time can’t give their best effort on every play, the veteran end said he’d rather line up with a less talented player who will.

“You’re only as good as the effort you put forth. I don’t care who it is,” said Kelsay. “I’d take Mario Williamsicon-article-link.gif at full health and full speed probably over anybody else in the league. At the same time I’d take Sean Ferguson, who we cut, over a guy that’s playing 50 percent, and I think our coaches would too. The playmakers have to make plays and the way you do that is giving all out effort every play.”

I think as fans we read far into things. Also, I don't think he's stupid enough to call out a fellow d-lineman after mentioning his name in the previous sentence. Especially after a subtle reference to him not being 100% healthy.

Edited by stony

Stopping the run and rushing the passer are all about effort and not giving up. After watching the Bills' complete inability to stop San Fran, the Pats, and even the Titans (for most of the game), I would say there are a lot of people about whom his comments would apply.

As an aside, is there a site that keeps track of 3 and outs. I have to believe that we are near the bottom of the league (if not the bottom) at 3 and outs. We also have to be near the bottom of the league in allowing teams to convert third and longs. San Fran converted critical third and longs by RUNNING the ball. Yesterday, at the end of the game, we got the Titans into a couple of third/fourth and longs during the game winning drive and could not stop them.

although dareus may need it, i agree with 3rdand12 - i think kelsay was calling out mario. i think the veterans collectively would have more easily corrected dareus' behavior as he is just a young 2nd year player - behind the scenes. i think kelsay is calling out mario in a public but somewhat shrouded way as it is probably harder to change the behavior of a $100 million man who has previously been well accomplished.

As bad as the D is playing, there is no place for the scrubs to be calling out the starters.

If perennial disappointment Kelsay has something to say to his teammates, he should close the door and say it or simply STFU.

The balls on this guy!

This is called losing control of the locker room.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I said during the game yesterday "I would bench Mario and Dareus until the 2nd half of the next game."

Let them be embarrassed. See if they have the balls to come back strong. Especially benching Mario in his fairt trip back to Houston. I dont care how bad it would make the signing look, it would at least show that someone at OBD cares.

Someone at OBD needs to light a fire. I was hoping there would be someone kicking over tables in team meetings today, but from the report I got from my friend that he was on the same plane as Mario today, I guess not. I realize players usually have the first few days of the Bye off, but they better be ready with a whole new perspective when they get back.

As bad as the D is playing, there is no place for the scrubs to be calling out the starters.

If perennial disappointment Kelsay has something to say to his teammates, he should close the door and say it or simply STFU.

The balls on this guy!

This is called losing control of the locker room.

I don't care if it's someone on the practice squad saying this...if it's true and needs to be said, then say it.

When something goes wrong, people have to be accountable. I hope someone is and gets what's coming to them...be it the bench or get cut.