Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

Yep. After today, I doubt he is even a second round prospect. Would not be surprised to see him taken in round 4 or even later. That time is slower than a number of offensive lineman.

brandon spikes ran a 5+ and was still a second rounder. all this does is squash any hint of that top ten talk that may have been left.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say that I was never aboard the Te'o hype train...And to be equally honest I just could not understand it...I thought, best case scenario, he was a slower Paul Posluszny-type...No way is the kid a 1st Round talent...I really don't think he's a 2nd Round talent...But I'd probably consider him in the 3rd or later...I do think he's got decent instincts... B-)

Where would this kid have finished in the Hesiman voting if he didn't have a bunch of erratically thrown balls land right in his hands?

Not to interrupt the Junior High fest, but does anyone know what the average MLB runs?

If T'eo continues to slip, he starts to fall into the range of the Bills' 2d round pick.

Not sure, but 4.8 is definitely in the bottom half of the LBs at the combine. Given Teo's no-show in the championship game, legitimate questions about whether he is nothing more than a product of the Notre Dame hype machine, and the whole fake girlfriend fiasco, I think he'll drop like a stone.

Not to interrupt the Junior High fest, but does anyone know what the average MLB runs?

If T'eo continues to slip, he starts to fall into the range of the Bills' 2d round pick.

can vary widely. hed probably land a step on the slow side. if i had to ballpark from a gut guess, id say in the 4.6-4.7 range is probably the meaty section of the curve, with the elite talents cracking into the 4.5 area.

4.8 is a step faster than maualuga (4.8 and change), 2 tenths faster than spikes (5+), cushing was a 4.74, poz about 4.7, dansby was a 4.56, harris a 4.59 for a look around the AFC, ray lewis clocked his fastest at 4.58, but that was 15 years ago.

Edited by NoSaint

Patrick Willis ran a 4.51 at the combine and a 4.37 at his pro day.

I think Posluszny ran a 4.7 at the combine and a 4.58 at his pro day.

I'm no expert but I would think a decent 40 time for a LB would be in the 4.6 - 4.7's. You'd want them to keep up with TE's like Tyler Eifert who ran a 4.6.

Does 4.81 make Teo the worst LB ever? Not even close. It just shows that he doesn't have elite speed, and has probably average to slightly below average speed for a LB.

Where would this kid have finished in the Hesiman voting if he didn't have a bunch of erratically thrown balls land right in his hands?

Probably right where he did; it's not like he won it. If you have a nose for the ball, you have a nose for the ball. Ed Reed's pick in the SB was thrown right to him, no?

If people want to hate T'eo because of where he went to school they are entitled to that juvenile opinion, but those who dismiss 3 years of excellent work over one bad game seem pretty short-sighted to me.

Edited by KD in CT

The reason they want to know is because the majority of NFL players are homophobes and wouldn't like an openly gay teammate. This isn't an excuse for it, just laying-out the reality. The fake GF stuff will be bad enough for whatever team he ends up going to, but if they find out he's gay? Whoa boy!

The guy has already answered this question in public. What's the point of asking him in private? Makes no sense.

The "reality" is that these locker rooms already have gay players in them.

Patrick Willis ran a 4.51 at the combine and a 4.37 at his pro day.

I think Posluszny ran a 4.7 at the combine and a 4.58 at his pro day.

I'm no expert but I would think a decent 40 time for a LB would be in the 4.6 - 4.7's. You'd want them to keep up with TE's like Tyler Eifert who ran a 4.6.

Does 4.81 make Teo the worst LB ever? Not even close. It just shows that he doesn't have elite speed, and has probably average to slightly below average speed for a LB.

And I suppose too that what matters is speed while in pads.

Just for ***** & giggles can someone put the difference between 4.8 & 5.0 in perspective?

id guess when you get to who is successful at the next level it would be a few ticks above that average, but the 4.8 is certainly not a time that will kill him. hes probably a top of the second prospect now, assuming his agility drills and pro day reflect the same level of athleticism.

id guess when you get to who is successful at the next level it would be a few ticks above that average, but the 4.8 is certainly not a time that will kill him. hes probably a top of the second prospect now, assuming his agility drills and pro day reflect the same level of athleticism.

He won't drop out of the 1st. Ravens will take him if he falls that far, but I don't think he will.

Having an openly gay player on an NFL roster would be problematic for the team IMO. Might be possible and maybe even desirable but at the very least the guy would have to be total badass and a great player. MT will be good but the consensus seems to be that he is far from being the next Ray Lewis.

How is that working in the military?

Times change, like it or not... watch. It is coming.

The new Scout they have on the NFL Network (I forget his name right this second, I know he worked in Philly and other NFL teams) said that he, and many of the Scouts he talked to this year, never had Te'o as a 1st Round Prospect...He said even before the Alabama game he did not have a 1st Round grade on Manti...I don't think this time is going to help Te'o at all...But it won't hurt him much either...He'll still be a 2nd-3rd Round Draft Pick... B-)

And I suppose too that what matters is speed while in pads.

Just for ***** & giggles can someone put the difference between 4.8 & 5.0 in perspective?

Perhaps a bit different perspective:

40 yds = 120 ft.

Moving 120 ft in 4.8s clocks PlayerA in at a rate of 25 ft/s.

Moving 120 ft in 5 s clock s PlayerB in at a rate of 24 ft/s.

25 = 0 + (A(4.8))

PlayerA acceleration (A) = 5.2 ft/s^2

24 = 0 + (A(5))

PlayerB acceleration (A) = 4.8 ft/s^2

PlayerB has 92% of the acceleration of PlayerA over 40 yds.

Edited by Joe Miner

The new Scout they have on the NFL Network (I forget his name right this second, I know he worked in Philly and other NFL teams) said that he, and many of the Scouts he talked to this year, never had Te'o as a 1st Round Prospect...He said even before the Alabama game he did not have a 1st Round grade on Manti...I don't think this time is going to help Te'o at all...But it won't hurt him much either...He'll still be a 2nd-3rd Round Draft Pick... B-)

i used to get killed for saying he was a reach at 8, and was blasted for saying he had no business in the discussion for the top 5 (or first overall).

my guess all season was mid-late first depending on how he clocked out. i think he mightve hurt his stock a little bit with the drama, the NC game, and slow time - but like you i agree that most scouts probably never had him high enough to let him plummet to begin with. going from the 20s to the 30s would hardly even be considered a drop. if hes there at 41, i wouldnt much complain about him as much as i hated the talk at 8.

Edited by NoSaint