Manti Te'o - LB - Notre Dame

1B4IDie

No, i got it.

But he makes little sense.

I was not basing the fact the SEC is a better confrence on one game but on the past 7 years of NC and guys drafted.

He wants to say the Big East beat two SEC teams. great!

Te'O looked like crap last night. Sorry, he just did.

Look at the big picture.

his arguement has little to stand on.

You ask any pro scout what is the best confrence and i gaurantee you they will say SEC. If you can play they you can usually play in the NFL. Your game will translate quicker and better. Of course other confrences produce nice and great players. But the SEC turns out more top talent then any other confrence.

I am just glad Te'O got exposed and the Bills will not take him in the first round.

Still missing it. Like by a mile.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he certainly looked "special" last night with those mixed tackles. Just not special in the way that we were hoping.

That said, people have bad games. It is lamentable that his game on the night of the championship and that the rest of Notre Dame didn't show up either. This might drop his stock enough that we don't have to worry about anyone swooping in to take him before the 8th pick.

I mixed your point.

No, i got it.

But he makes little sense.

<snip>

That's the point. He thinks Te'o shouldn't be judged based on 1 game, etc. By the same token, no one would say that the Big East is better than the SEC because Louisville beat Florida. It's just 1 game.

Te'o was not special last night. He was pedestrian at best. He sounds like a guy with tremendous work ethic and character, so you'd scout him based on how he (and not the team around him) has developed and how high you think his ceiling is. Is he a kid you can see developing into a guy that can help your team? To do that takes more than that one game, but he did not play like a stud by any stretch in that one game -- he raised some concerns.

That's the point. He thinks Te'o shouldn't be judged based on 1 game, etc. By the same token, no one would say that the Big East is better than the SEC because Louisville beat Florida. It's just 1 game.

Te'o was not special last night. He was pedestrian at best. He sounds like a guy with tremendous work ethic and character, so you'd scout him based on how he (and not the team around him) has developed and how high you think his ceiling is. Is he a kid you can see developing into a guy that can help your team? To do that takes more than that one game, but he did not play like a stud by any stretch in that one game -- he raised some concerns.

Bingo.

Edited by NoSaint

Thank you. Saved me some time. I just hate all people react some much to one game, especially people who have never seen these guys in other games. Te'O was a great football player for 4 years. Are Thurman and Kelly scrubs because of the Super Bowl?

Obviously, the offseason stuff will be big for him but I still like production. Te'O had a ton of production. All I know is this is the type of guy that will slip and get picked by the Pats or Steelers and everyone will feel stupid if he becomes a player in the league.

Thank you. Saved me some time. I just hate all people react some much to one game, especially people who have never seen these guys in other games. Te'O was a great football player for 4 years. Are Thurman and Kelly scrubs because of the Super Bowl?

Obviously, the offseason stuff will be big for him but I still like production. Te'O had a ton of production. All I know is this is the type of guy that will slip and get picked by the Pats or Steelers and everyone will feel stupid if he becomes a player in the league.

Word

With the Bills drafting at #8 (ignoring trades), they have to ask if he is one of the top 8 best players in the country. If we assume they are going after him as a need, they have to ask if he is the best at the target position bar none (meaning FAs, etc.) and is NFL ready. It's a win-now game. You don't want to throw high picks at guys that you think might develop into something 4 or 5 years from now -- you'll be fired before then and chances are they'll be playing for someone else anyway.

With the Bills drafting at #8 (ignoring trades), they have to ask if he is one of the top 8 best players in the country. If we assume they are going after him as a need, they have to ask if he is the best at the target position bar none (meaning FAs, etc.) and is NFL ready. It's a win-now game. You don't want to throw high picks at guys that you think might develop into something 4 or 5 years from now -- you'll be fired before then and chances are they'll be playing for someone else anyway.

IMO, it's really hard to draft a LB top 10 unless you believe he is a once in a generation type player (Urlacher, Willis). So based off last night, it's kinda hard to say that. But Ray Lewis went at the bottom of the 1st round and he had a ton of college production. That turned out ok. I just got that feeling he will slip and become the next great Steeler LB and we will see a ton of threads about the Bills being idiots for passing on a LB who was a Heisman finalist.

Kidding me? In 4-3 its the most important position. QB of the defense that makes the defensive signal calls, multi-gap responsibility, sideline to sideline run support, slot coverage, blitzing .... Wow. Urlacher, singletary, Zack Thomas, fletcher, Cushing, kuechly,etc. etc Absolutely critical to have a premium player there.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

For the most part, ILB is a low impact position.

Kuechly was taken 9th overall.

This guy Te'o isn't as good.

The math is pretty easy as far as totally disqualifying Te'o as an option at #8.

Kidding me? In 4-3 its the most important position. QB of the defense that makes the defensive signal calls, multi-gap responsibility, sideline to sideline run support, slot coverage, blitzing .... Wow. Urlacher, singletary, Zack Thomas, fletcher, Cushing, kuechly,etc. etc Absolutely critical to have a premium player there.

And none of those guys was selected higher than 9th overall.

Patrick Willis was drafted 11th overall.

Ray Lewis was drafted was drafted 26th overall.

The reason that inside linebackers are not highly drafted is because it is not considered a high impact position.

NFL coaches are gonna tell you that pass rusher and cover cornerback are more important than inside linebacker.

I'm reacting to your comment "For the most part, ILB is a low impact position." As for where teo goes, it remains to be seen. But don't let your dislike for him cloud your judgement of the position's value.

Where did you get that I dislike him?

Because of my incessant joking around you think I don't like him?

I've seen him play once in my life and honestly I wasn't really paying attention.

Don't mistake me for one of these people who has to have a formed opinion about a player without knowing the first thing about him.

I'm reacting to your comment "For the most part, ILB is a low impact position." As for where teo goes, it remains to be seen. But don't let your dislike for him cloud your judgement of the position's value.

On a scale of 1-11 it's at best behind corner (x2) and pass rusher (x2) on par with DT depending on scheme. Middle of the pack but you still love a great one and won't survive and awful

I have no opinion about Geno Smith. I stated that upfront.

In fact, I don't have an opinion on any of the draft-eligible players because I rarely watch college football and it's too early for me to start watching the scouting videos.

Your opinion on teo including draft position ...

"Kuechly was taken 9th overall.

The math is pretty easy as far as totally disqualifying Te'o as an option at #8."

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Is Marcel Dareus as special as Teo? I think with Teo you have a guy with all the desire & work ethic with the solid Samoan body type. He is no Junior Seau but he will be better than Ray Mauleluga. I'd put Teo in the Jarrod Mayo, London Fletcher class.

Your opinion on teo including draft position ...

"Kuechly was taken 9th overall.

The math is pretty easy as far as totally disqualifying Te'o as an option at #8."

My opinion is the same as everyone else's.

It's like saying "sunshine is better than cloudiness."

My point which you continue to miss is that he's not gonna be taken by the Bills at #8.

If that opinion is troubling you, I'm sorry.