Does Wannstedt need to get out of the booth and onto the field?

folz

With all of the recent talk about leadership and mental toughness...

Who's rallying the defense on the sideline during games?

With so many young guys (Shep, A. Williams, Gilmore), humble guys (K. Williams), quiet/reserved guys (M. Williams, Dareus), etc.

who is rallying the D? We don't have a Ray Lewis type-player. And Gailey is more focused on the offensive-side of things.

So, is there a coach on the sidelines who can pull the D together or do the players just go to their position coaches?

Being in the booth didn't help the Stache come up with an answer for what New England was doing last week.

It didn't seem to help him make the proper adjustments. So, why is he there? I know in the past (with other teams),

I've seen him somewhat animated on the sidelines...he's not a Rex Ryan or whomever, but maybe being more

interactive with the players on Sunday---congratulating them when they do well and pulling them together when

things aren't going right, just being in the middle of the action, maybe that would help with the leadership issue somewhat,

at least on the defense.

So, should Dave get out of the booth and onto the field on Sundays?

Edited by folz

I'n no expert, but doesn't he get a better field of view from up in the booth?

The only thing he can't do is yell at the players for their lousy tackling

I wonder if being in the booth is leaving him too dissociated from the game. If he were down on the field seeing Brady point at Scott and yell "FORTY THREE IS THE MIKE!" followed by ripping off another successful run, or seeing Mario stand up on a play, I wonder if he'd get a better sense of what's really going on. He does get a better view of the field from the booth, but perhaps it allows him to be too theoretical.

who cares if wanny coaches from the international space station. mario needs to get to the QB and the LB's need to make plays.

I wonder if being in the booth is leaving him too dissociated from the game. If he were down on the field seeing Brady point at Scott and yell "FORTY THREE IS THE MIKE!" followed by ripping off another successful run, or seeing Mario stand up on a play, I wonder if he'd get a better sense of what's really going on. He does get a better view of the field from the booth, but perhaps it allows him to be too theoretical.

i really don't thinnk it matters. it comes down to players executing imo.

You don't have the player interaction in the booth, also how can you make series to series adjustments from up there?

It didn't help him one bit vs NE.

he's not the only defensive coach in the league that is not on the field...again, it comes down to preparation and player execution. there's plenty to get on wanny about so far, but i don't really care if he's on the field or in the booth.

My inside sources DEEP within the Bills organization tells me that until he gets on the sideline and yells like Carl Mauck while wearing gloves, a headset, a bandana and eating a breakfast cereal with his name on the box and buys three houses in Buffalo, he will be a lousy coach.

Edited by RkFast

I'n no expert, but doesn't he get a better field of view from up in the booth?

The only thing he can't do is yell at the players for their lousy tackling

Every team gets the aerial shots of the schemes after each drive. The qb is handed a bunch of photos and that is what he is seeing - the defensive alignment. Also I wouldn't discount the effect getting into someone can have. A little bump/motivation/angering of a d that looks at times passionless would be a GREAT thing!

I wouldn't mind him coaching from the booth if we had a leader on defense holding the other player accountable

Yes sir! I believe you have hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup::beer:

At times we have seen K Williams and Dareus firing up the troops but it doesn't seem consistent. Against the Brown's K Williams was firing into the o-line hard. I didn't see that same thing against the Pats*. Strategizing and motivating are 2 things that can be accomplished on the field and not from the booth, and they are 2 HUGE roles of the D coordinator.

You get a better view from the booth. If you are a good X's and O's diagnostician, the booth is a good place. But Wanny, sadly, doesn't seem to have a talent for identifying tactical mistakes and then solving them. So there's really no point for him being in the booth.

I think Wanny should be on the sideline, coaching technique and firing up the players.

its a trade - you get to see the game a little better up there, but you get a feel for the spirit and to look your players in the eyes on the sideline.

i wont say one is better than the other - and it can vary from team to team, and coach to coach. ultimately, with either choice, you would hope there would be another guy that could fill the opposing role. if hes up top, hopefully he has a guy that can effectively communicate the sideline atmosphere to him, and if hes down on the field he has guys up top that he trusts picking up tendencies.

really it, in an ideal situation, shouldnt make a big difference.