A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1) Week after week, I rave about Levitre, and with good reason. Today, just this once, the blocker on the Buffalo Bills who played the best was Eric Wood. He played the game of his life.

2) Moorman had a truly lousy day. Obviously, this is something to watch.

3) A. Williams had his best game today as a Buffalo Bill. Hopefully he can build off of this. And btw, the pass interference call against him in the 2nd qtr. was utter b.s. If anything, HE was hit.

4) You see, today, there were many unsung heros. Moats, who by the way was trampled last year on running plays, had 2 crucial run stops in the first quarter alone. In the 3rd quarter, he had a very good play in pass coverage. When players such as Moats, Justin Rogers, and Choice step up, we can, and will win football games.

5) Gilmore got his ass handed to him today. He was smoked on more than one pass, and was taken out on several running plays.

6) Statistically, Fitz had a very good day. But a few of his throws were weird and dangerous. He really has to improve for us to make the playoffs imo. As good as his numbers were, he was causing me a great deal of nervous frustration.

7) I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I'd shine my light through the,

cool Colorado rain.

8) Before his key 4th quarter sack (or 1/2 sack), I was going to say that Dareus had a rather pedestrian game today. But, he too came through in the clutch. And it was great to see Mario step it up a bit. Anderson is a clear improvement over Kelsay. It was all cool on the DL today.

9) Gailey's play calling before the deuce in the first half was atrocious. Two incomplete passes with 2:12 to go in the 1st half, a 7 point lead, and getting the ball in the second half??? He gave Clevelanmd the ball with too much time, and too many time outs. The truth is, we got lucky. He was making no sense at all.

10) It sucks to lose a home run hitter such as Spiller, and I do hope he comes back soon. And speaking of home run hitters, welcome to the NFL Mr. Graham. The TD pass he caught was a GREAT call, as opposed to the above.

11) Nick Barnett is a player who I would take on my football team any day of the week. He is smart, steady and talented.

12) Stevie Johnson gets open. He really does, more than any receiver we have had in a decade or so.

13) Congrats fellow Bills Fans!!! We are 2-1, and in contention. Yes, I am aware of the fact that 3 consecutive tough games await us. But as we speak, we are tied for first place!!!!!!!! And I am loving it!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Week after week, I rave about Levitre, and with good reason. Today, just this once, the blocker on the Buffalo Bills who played the best was Eric Wood. He played the game of his life.

2) Moorman had a truly lousy day. Obviously, this is something to watch.

3) A. Williams had his best game today as a Buffalo Bill. Hopefully he can build off of this. And btw, the pass interference call against him in the 2nd qtr. was utter b.s. If anything, HE was hit.

4) You see, today, there were many unsung heros. Ryan Moats, who by the way was trampled last year on running plays, had 2 crucial run stops in the first quarter alone. In the 3rd quarter, he had a very good play in pass coverage. When players such as Moats, Justin Rogers, and Choice step up, we can, and will win football games.

5) Gilmore got his ass handed to him today. He was smoked on more than one pass, and was taken out on several running plays.

6) Statistically, Fitz had a very good day. But a few of his throws were weird and dangerous. He really has to improve for us to make the playoffs imo. As good as his numbers were, he was causing me a great deal of nervous frustration.

7) I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I'd shine my light through the,

cool Colorado rain.

8) Before his key 4th quarter sack (or 1/2 sack), I was going to say that Dareus had a rather pedestrian game today. But, he too came through in the clutch. And it was great to see Mario step it up a bit. Anderson is a clear improvement over Kelsay. It was all cool on the DL today.

9) Gailey's play calling before the deuce in the first half was atrocious. Two incomplete passes with 2:12 to go in the 1st half, a 7 point lead, and getting the ball in the second half??? He gave Clevelanmd the ball with too much time, and too many time outs. The truth is, we got lucky. He was making no sense at all.

10) It sucks to lose a home run hitter such as Spiller, and I do hope he comes back soon. And speaking of home run hitters, welcome to the NFL Mr. Graham. The TD pass he caught was a GREAT call, as opposed to the above.

11) Fred Barnett is a player who I would take on my football team any day of the week. He is smart, steady and talented.

12) Stevie Johnson gets open. He really does, more than any receiver we have had in a decade or so.

13) Congrats fellow Bills Fans!!! We are 2-1, and in contention. Yes, I am aware of the fact that 3 consecutive tough games await us. But as we speak, we are tied for first place!!!!!!!! And I am loving it!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) Thank you Mr. Nix. We're steadily building depth on this team. :thumbsup:

7) But it's just a box of rain...

13) We have the Pats* at home. SF lost today. Cardinals - well, I hope Chan and Fitz look at the tape of how Edwards career was sent into the deep freeze.

2) A mostly dreadful day for Moorman. If he didn't shank it, he outkicked the coverage which led to a longish 30+ return. It's one thing to win a competition in preseason for a 32 year old who's been in decline for three seasons. Not a good sign if he's getting a dead-leg and losing his touch this early in the season.

11) Nick Barnett. And yes.

[mostly good stuff and all worth reading. I completely agree about Moats, Wiliams, and Gilmore]

>>2) Moorman had a truly lousy day. Obviously, this is something to watch.

I think he was trying to kick away from Cribbs, with the result of kicking out of bounds or short. I understand the attraction but I think he should just boom it down and let the coverage team take care of it.

>> 6) Statistically, Fitz had a very good day. But a few of his throws were weird and dangerous. He really has to improve for us to make the playoffs imo. As good as his numbers were, he was causing me a great deal of nervous frustration.

Mmmm. But then there's the balls hitting receivers in the hands. I'll let Nick Mendola say it for me:

You want better than Fitz’s accuracy but Stevie Johnson needs to catch balls that hit him in the hands if he really is a No.1 wide receiver (which he can be). You wouldn’t know it by listening to Steve Beuerlein ramble, but receivers can actually make plays on non-perfectly-thrown balls.

While we're on the topic of Beurlein:

>>11) Nick Barnett is a player who I would take on my football team any day of the week. He is smart, steady and talented.

Barnett is one of my favorite players.

Question: one of the announcers (think it was Beurlein) referred to Barnett as "the Bills middle linebacker". Have they switched and given Barnett the middle and Shep the Will? Or is Beurlein mistaken?

>>12) Stevie Johnson gets open. He really does, more than any receiver we have had in a decade or so.

He does. See above about the need to catch non-perfect balls that hit him in the hands. Note to Stevie: this is one key ingredient separating a top wideout from a 2nd tier wideout, the top guys make those tough catches. And what was with the holding penalties? 2 pass plays, cost us 28 yds in gains with 20 yds of penalties. They weren't bogus, either, he was trying to undress the guy.

Edited by Hopeful

I agree. What the heck is he thinking about. That sort of thing is going to get him slammed vs. better coaches. Belicheat.

Nice post as usual, Bill... my thoughts are...

1] I don't see how anyone can have a problem with Fitz in this game. I see that he is inaccurate at times, I see that we havent gone downfield. But you don't play for stats, you don't play for throwing downfield, you play for winning the game. He threw three TDs with no interceptions. And with Spiller, this was likely a blowout.

2] I was very disappointed that Wanny didnt put pressure on the rookie and blitzed more. But I hate to say it worked. Ultimately, the Browns pass game did not kill us and we won by ten points. I don't like the rushing of three guys on third and long but it worked all day. I don't know what I think about that.

3] The Bills OL is getting very good. They no longer can only hold out for 2-3 seconds. It is now 3-5 seconds, and that is a huge difference. The OL still played good when CJ went down. Choice getting 91 yards in three quarters is ridiculous.

4] AWilliams finally made some plays and I'm thrilled with it but he still looks shaky. Gilmore had a decent game but was HORRIBLE on that TD pass. McGee does not have game legs.

5] Sheppard had his best game as a Bill IMO. That is encouraging. I like him but I do not think he has played well until today.

6] Moorman was terrible. I don't get it. he had three bad punts, which is not acceptable.

7] Byrd and Wilson are very good overall. Byrd should have had his second INT except for a terrible call.

8] TJ looks pretty decent. He made about three very nice plays. Donald Jones quietly made a couple good ones as well.

"Dareus had a rather pedestrian game today. But, he too came through in the clutch."

I give credit to the kid for playing through what has to be a tough time.

I imagine people deal with grief and loss in different ways, but contributing to two wins and playing a really physically demanding position while suffering the loss of a brother, and traveling back and forth for wakes and funerals and such, shows a lot. I think his play will continue to improve..

5] Sheppard had his best game as a Bill IMO. That is encouraging. I like him but I do not think he has played well until today.

He was excellent in all phases of the game today and I agree it was by far his very best game as a pro.

He's never going to be a good enough athlete to get away with making mistakes but I don't know if I saw him take a single false step this afternoon.

He looked like he had a mole in the Browns huddle.

Still trying to fabricate crap about Fitz. The lengths some will go to try and paint a horrible picture of someone. Unbelievable, really is considering the state of the Bills QB position since Kelly left.

It wasn't a pretty game, but it seemed like when the Browns were ready to take over the game and keep momentum, the Bills defense made a stand and the offense answered with a drive.

Buffalo should beat a team with this many flaws and they did, but the Bills have to limit miscues against the good teams (e.g, Gilmore getting turned around in coverage, costly penalties, etc.) if they want to keep winning.

Still trying to fabricate crap about Fitz. The lengths some will go to try and paint a horrible picture of someone. Unbelievable, really is considering the state of the Bills QB position since Kelly left.

Are you Fitzy's mom? What did he fabricate about him?

I'm usually a Fitz apologist but today I have to agree with the detractors. He made some important plays and avoided picks but was really off-target on some throws. Maybe the rain was bothering him on those throws as it seemed to on the "fumble."

Whatever the cause, Fitz averaged less than 6 yards per pass attempt and barely threw for 200 yards against a weak Browns secondary (the Browns Pass D was ranked 28th in the NFL). Fitz hasn't yet this year looked at proficient as he did during the first 7 games of last season and it's starting to worry me. I'm happy for the win but with CJ and FredEx both hurting, we need better from Fitz next week.

I'm usually a Fitz apologist but today I have to agree with the detractors. He made some important plays and avoided picks but was really off-target on some throws. Maybe the rain was bothering him on those throws as it seemed to on the "fumble."

Whatever the cause, Fitz averaged less than 6 yards per pass attempt and barely threw for 200 yards against a weak Browns secondary (the Browns Pass D was ranked 28th in the NFL). Fitz hasn't yet this year looked at proficient as he did during the first 7 games of last season and it's starting to worry me. I'm happy for the win but with CJ and FredEx both hurting, we need better from Fitz next week.

The guy hits on 63% of his passes, has a QB rating of 108, throws 3 TDs, no interceptions, puts up 24 points in a game that is half rain storm, hasn't been sacked all year and right now leads the league in TD passes and you say he needs to be better. Really? What do you people want? You are uneffingbelievable. WTF!

The truth is, we got lucky. He was making no sense at all.

Totally agree, we were killing it with the straight up runs up the middle and Chan kept calling plays out of the shotgun and wasting downs on outside handoffs to Choice that were obviously meant for Spiller.

1. It's nice see rookies stepping up like Cordy and TJ, a lot of our rookies in the past didnt do much.

2. Gilmore, for where he was selected, has been a disappointment since the regular season started, giving up the TD's

3. Moats and Shep played very good, Bradham despite the penalty is making some hits on ST.

4. Donald Jones, nice game, ....took some shots too....build off it

5. Dont want Fred going next week unless he's real close to 100%

6. I like what I see from Justin Rogers

7. The X factor has arrived....Leodis with a return and INT in consecutive weeks

8. Yes were just stupid fans, but even we know that play calling before the half was moronic

Edited by billsfan714