A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

So I assume that applies equally to all QBs who have not won a SB? Cam Newton? Jay Cutler?

PTR

No, the question was why do Eli and Big Ben get accolades like "gutting it out". That is the post and players you responded to. And again, I like Fitz and defend him all the time. I thought he was great today.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but it's surely an explanation why those two are given the benefit of the doubt when Fitz does not.

The funny thing is it's like these posters only watch the hi-lights where every pass is completed. Watching tonight Brady has had plenty of bad throws - every QB does in every game. It's the nature of the position and of being human. If Fitz does it then goes on to throw 3 TDs everybody points out his ducks - it's mind boggling.

Fitz is never going to morph into an elite QB but when he's not in "Bad Fitz" mode throwing picks left and right he does a solid job and definitely good enough for the Bills to win.

So I assume that applies equally to all QBs who have not won a SB? Cam Newton? Jay Cutler?

PTR

Jim Kelly...

I'm sure he never threw a few ducks during a game...

The funny thing is it's like these posters only watch the hi-lights where every pass is completed. Watching tonight Brady has had plenty of bad throws - every QB does in every game. It's the nature of the position and of being human. If Fitz does it then goes on to throw 3 TDs everybody points out his ducks - it's mind boggling.

Fitz is never going to morph into an elite QB but when he's not in "Bad Fitz" mode throwing picks left and right he does a solid job and definitely good enough for the Bills to win.

Totally agree. I don't even understand why anyone would not think Fitz was excellent today. We won by 10 points after Spiller went down. He threw three TDs with no INTs. Who cares if it was not pretty. He's leading the league in TDs. Criticize him when he stinks and we lose, like after the Jet game.

Totally agree. I don't even understand why anyone would not think Fitz was excellent today. We won by 10 points after Spiller went down. He threw three TDs with no INTs. Who cares if it was not pretty. He's leading the league in TDs. Criticize him when he stinks and we lose, like after the Jet game.

yup, but it is already predetermined by some that Fitz sucks and just got lucky when he has a good game. Never going to change a narrow minded vision.

The guy hits on 63% of his passes, has a QB rating of 108, throws 3 TDs, no interceptions, puts up 24 points in a game that is half rain storm, hasn't been sacked all year and right now leads the league in TD passes and you say he needs to be better. Really? What do you people want? You are uneffingbelievable. WTF!

I agree with you on this post.

Take any NFL game: I bet there are several throws that any person can critique and say they were bad ones. ANY of them.

Fitz was good today, 0 turnovers....35 attempts for 208 yards is eh, but 3 TD's and 0 INT's trump that, and also we were winning all game, he didn't have to throw for 400 yards. Just keep the drive going and moving along and that is what Fitz did.

This may not have been a pretty win, and the Browns may not be a great team...but I think this was a pretty significant win for the Bills, and is a good indication of their make-up. When Spiller went down (he looked like he was on the verge of a stellar game), the breath seemed to be sucked out of the team, collectively. We have seen that scenario far too many times in recent years, as the Bills try, and fail, to get "over the hump." They come out looking great, and then something negative happens (in this case Spiller going down) and they seem to fold up their tents, and hope they can hang on for a close win...but today, after a long spell of this, Fitz (despite his imperfections) was able to lead them to a td drive (rather than settling for a field goal), and the defense came up with a great effort to dash any hopes the Browns had of making some final come-back..Marcell comes up with the huge sack, and they pick of Weeden on the next play. Beating teams like the Chiefs and Browns (on the road no-less) is an indication to me that the Bills really are improving, it is not just all on paper. The Bills are widening the gap, IMO, between themselves, and that bottom third of the league...I expect a great effort against New England.

Oh yeah...not meant as a pile-on toward Fitz, but imagine how good Donald Jones would look if he had an occasional pass his way that was on target...i see why the Bills coaches love this kid. If Fitz was a little more accurate, some of those tough 6 yard passes might end up being 10-15 yarders.

Really an unbelievable assessment considering the sewer foam we've endured over the last ten years at the QB position. But am I falling for a facetious post?

How bizzare that our previously crappy QB situation has been mentioned twice to defend Fitz. WTF?

If you're a comptroller do you not want your mediocre accountant to improve because he's better than his awful predecessors?

Get your panties out of a bunch.

"No interceptions" mentioned about a half dozen times too. Good thing the turnover that was 100% his fault wasn't a pick I guess.

All the Fitz haters can relax. Buddy Nix will draft a QB in the next draft if one he likes falls to the Bills. Like someone else posted astutely, Nix wanted to build a functioning team to install a good QB into, unlike the Rams who drafted Bradford first and ruined him.

But for 2012 Fitz is our guy. Deal with it.

PTR

All the Fitz haters can relax. Buddy Nix will draft a QB in the next draft if one he likes falls to the Bills. Like someone else posted astutely, Nix wanted to build a functioning team to install a good QB into, unlike the Rams who drafted Bradford first and ruined him.

But for 2012 Fitz is our guy. Deal with it.

PTR

I really do not understand why people cannot understand what Nix has done and will do. He says it flat out all the time and there is nothing he has done that would indicate anything else. He is not ignoring the QB position in any way. Andrew Luck is the sole reason the Bills do not have Cam Newton on the team as the franchise QB. Nix and Gailey, rightfully, like Fitz and think they can win with him. I do, too. If there were a QB they thought would help the team more than a guy that was also available, they would have taken him in a second. If Luck declared after his junior year (knowing he would be the #1 and with his coach leaving, like 90% of college players would have) we would have taken Newton #3 over Darius (unless Denver took him which was unlikely at that point). They do not ignore the QB position at all.

Who is saying he ignores QB? It's obv. fine that he didn't draft McCoy or Clausen for the sake of taking a QB. But to act like discussing our QB's play is off limits because "he's our QB this year, deal with" - GMAFB. Just shut the board down then. Because the 53 man roster is the 53 man roster, the coaching staff is the coaching staff, injuries are injuries, and the schedule is the schedule. Yawn.

How bizzare that our previously crappy QB situation has been mentioned twice to defend Fitz. WTF?

If you're a comptroller do you not want your mediocre accountant to improve because he's better than his awful predecessors?

Get your panties out of a bunch.

"No interceptions" mentioned about a half dozen times too. Good thing the turnover that was 100% his fault wasn't a pick I guess.

Ok wiseguy, what would you like him to improve on? More TDs, already leads the league? More points, they are top 5-7 something like that? More yards, yeah he could stand to have a bunch more yards, oh, he has 3 picks, yeah he could do better there. How bout QB rating 100+ 2 weeks in a row isn't good enough, as it could be higher. They are only 2-1, so I guess they could have a better record. Enlighten us as to what more you think he needs to do. What are you looking for from Fitz? Obviously you are not satisfied.

Edited by FreakPop

1) Week after week, I rave about Levitre, and with good reason. Today, just this once, the blocker on the Buffalo Bills who played the best was Eric Wood. He played the game of his life.

2) Moorman had a truly lousy day. Obviously, this is something to watch.

3) A. Williams had his best game today as a Buffalo Bill. Hopefully he can build off of this. And btw, the pass interference call against him in the 2nd qtr. was utter b.s. If anything, HE was hit.

4) You see, today, there were many unsung heros. Moats, who by the way was trampled last year on running plays, had 2 crucial run stops in the first quarter alone. In the 3rd quarter, he had a very good play in pass coverage. When players such as Moats, Justin Rogers, and Choice step up, we can, and will win football games.

5) Gilmore got his ass handed to him today. He was smoked on more than one pass, and was taken out on several running plays.

6) Statistically, Fitz had a very good day. But a few of his throws were weird and dangerous. He really has to improve for us to make the playoffs imo. As good as his numbers were, he was causing me a great deal of nervous frustration.

7) I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I'd shine my light through the,

cool Colorado rain.

8) Before his key 4th quarter sack (or 1/2 sack), I was going to say that Dareus had a rather pedestrian game today. But, he too came through in the clutch. And it was great to see Mario step it up a bit. Anderson is a clear improvement over Kelsay. It was all cool on the DL today.

9) Gailey's play calling before the deuce in the first half was atrocious. Two incomplete passes with 2:12 to go in the 1st half, a 7 point lead, and getting the ball in the second half??? He gave Clevelanmd the ball with too much time, and too many time outs. The truth is, we got lucky. He was making no sense at all.

10) It sucks to lose a home run hitter such as Spiller, and I do hope he comes back soon. And speaking of home run hitters, welcome to the NFL Mr. Graham. The TD pass he caught was a GREAT call, as opposed to the above.

11) Nick Barnett is a player who I would take on my football team any day of the week. He is smart, steady and talented.

12) Stevie Johnson gets open. He really does, more than any receiver we have had in a decade or so.

13) Congrats fellow Bills Fans!!! We are 2-1, and in contention. Yes, I am aware of the fact that 3 consecutive tough games await us. But as we speak, we are tied for first place!!!!!!!! And I am loving it!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post! :thumbsup:

I'd like to further discuss one of your points:

> 9) Two incomplete passes with 2:12 to go in the 1st half, a 7 point lead, and getting the ball in the second half???

If Jauron was the coach, the play call would have been run, run, run, punt. Or at most run, run, pass, punt. Jauron would have played cautiously. He would have played to protect the lead.

Gailey was trying to take a little lead and turn it into a bigger lead. That may or may not have been overly aggressive of him. But if a coach is going to err, I'd rather him err on the side of being too aggressive; as opposed to not aggressive enough.

If the Patriots' offense had had the ball with two minutes to go before the end of the half, would Belichick have contented himself with run, run, run, punt? Or would he have tried to go for the jugular?

You could point out that the Patriots have a better offense than the Bills, which is perfectly true. The better you are, the more aggressive you can afford to be. But the way to become good is to stop thinking defensively, and to start thinking in terms of dictating to the other team. The Bills' offensive players need to get it in their heads that if they get the ball with a reasonable amount of time left in the half, they are expected to drive down the field and score.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Good post! :thumbsup:

I'd like to further discuss one of your points:

> 9) Two incomplete passes with 2:12 to go in the 1st half, a 7 point lead, and getting the ball in the second half???

If Jauron was the coach, the play call would have been run, run, run, punt. Or at most run, run, pass, punt. Jauron would have played cautiously. He would have played to protect the lead.

Gailey was trying to take a little lead and turn it into a bigger lead. That may or may not have been overly aggressive of him. But if a coach is going to err, I'd rather him err on the side of being too aggressive; as opposed to not aggressive enough.

If the Patriots' offense had had the ball with two minutes to go before the end of the half, would Belichick have contented himself with run, run, run, punt? Or would he have tried to go for the jugular?

You could point out that the Patriots have a better offense than the Bills, which is perfectly true. The better you are, the more aggressive you can afford to be. But the way to become good is to stop thinking defensively, and to start thinking in terms of dictating to the other team. The Bills' offensive players need to get it in their heads that if they get the ball with a reasonable amount of time left in the half, they are expected to drive down the field and score.

Agree. One of the things I've really appreciated about Gailey is that he doesn't ever seem to play scared. He goes for it. Doesn't always work out, but you're right, it's more about creating a certain attitude on your team than optimizing any particular possession.

Great post.

I agree with everything you wrote and, coincidently, had that Grateful Dead lyric in my head the past few days.

Let's go Buffalo!

1) Week after week, I rave about Levitre, and with good reason. Today, just this once, the blocker on the Buffalo Bills who played the best was Eric Wood. He played the game of his life.

2) Moorman had a truly lousy day. Obviously, this is something to watch.

3) A. Williams had his best game today as a Buffalo Bill. Hopefully he can build off of this. And btw, the pass interference call against him in the 2nd qtr. was utter b.s. If anything, HE was hit.

4) You see, today, there were many unsung heros. Moats, who by the way was trampled last year on running plays, had 2 crucial run stops in the first quarter alone. In the 3rd quarter, he had a very good play in pass coverage. When players such as Moats, Justin Rogers, and Choice step up, we can, and will win football games.

5) Gilmore got his ass handed to him today. He was smoked on more than one pass, and was taken out on several running plays.

6) Statistically, Fitz had a very good day. But a few of his throws were weird and dangerous. He really has to improve for us to make the playoffs imo. As good as his numbers were, he was causing me a great deal of nervous frustration.

7) I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I wish I was a headlight,

on a North bound train;

I'd shine my light through the,

cool Colorado rain.

8) Before his key 4th quarter sack (or 1/2 sack), I was going to say that Dareus had a rather pedestrian game today. But, he too came through in the clutch. And it was great to see Mario step it up a bit. Anderson is a clear improvement over Kelsay. It was all cool on the DL today.

9) Gailey's play calling before the deuce in the first half was atrocious. Two incomplete passes with 2:12 to go in the 1st half, a 7 point lead, and getting the ball in the second half??? He gave Clevelanmd the ball with too much time, and too many time outs. The truth is, we got lucky. He was making no sense at all.

10) It sucks to lose a home run hitter such as Spiller, and I do hope he comes back soon. And speaking of home run hitters, welcome to the NFL Mr. Graham. The TD pass he caught was a GREAT call, as opposed to the above.

11) Nick Barnett is a player who I would take on my football team any day of the week. He is smart, steady and talented.

12) Stevie Johnson gets open. He really does, more than any receiver we have had in a decade or so.

13) Congrats fellow Bills Fans!!! We are 2-1, and in contention. Yes, I am aware of the fact that 3 consecutive tough games await us. But as we speak, we are tied for first place!!!!!!!! And I am loving it!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is just not true, IMO. The first bad one was from the 39 and went 27 yards. OB at the 12 is not a good punt in that situation, there is no chance Cribbs would be returning it. The second one was 36 yards and OB at the 20, a terrible punt. The third one was from the Bills 27 and traveled 30 yards and OB, just a terrible punt.

Any punt that Cribbs couldn't get his hands on was a good punt

Nice post as usual, Bill... my thoughts are...

1] I don't see how anyone can have a problem with Fitz in this game. I see that he is inaccurate at times, I see that we havent gone downfield. But you don't play for stats, you don't play for throwing downfield, you play for winning the game. He threw three TDs with no interceptions. And with Spiller, this was likely a blowout.

2] I was very disappointed that Wanny didnt put pressure on the rookie and blitzed more. But I hate to say it worked. Ultimately, the Browns pass game did not kill us and we won by ten points. I don't like the rushing of three guys on third and long but it worked all day. I don't know what I think about that.

3] The Bills OL is getting very good. They no longer can only hold out for 2-3 seconds. It is now 3-5 seconds, and that is a huge difference. The OL still played good when CJ went down. Choice getting 91 yards in three quarters is ridiculous.

4] AWilliams finally made some plays and I'm thrilled with it but he still looks shaky. Gilmore had a decent game but was HORRIBLE on that TD pass. McGee does not have game legs.

5] Sheppard had his best game as a Bill IMO. That is encouraging. I like him but I do not think he has played well until today.

6] Moorman was terrible. I don't get it. he had three bad punts, which is not acceptable.

7] Byrd and Wilson are very good overall. Byrd should have had his second INT except for a terrible call.

8] TJ looks pretty decent. He made about three very nice plays. Donald Jones quietly made a couple good ones as well.

I could have written this post myself. Nicely said, Dog.

The Bills looked like a machine until Spiller went down.

Shep keep showing up more and more. Thats good.

We got one mean, nasty O line.

The D-line will definitely have Marcias attention this week. Our CB's better be ready.

How many 95's are there?