A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Still trying to fabricate crap about Fitz. The lengths some will go to try and paint a horrible picture of someone. Unbelievable, really is considering the state of the Bills QB position since Kelly left.

FP, no. If you look at my posts, I give Fitz much more room than most. Moreover, he is one of the easiest players in the NFL to like and support. But as a Bills fan, I feel as if I do have the right to higher expectations. He signed a fat contract, and I'm fine with this. I also give him room because he went to Harvard, not Alabama, etc. It took him a while to get a chance, and I understand this. He is very good at some phases of football. He is SO smart that he can see things that imo players such as Michael Vick cannot. And, he is a gamer; I love to see him run. Fitz gives it all he has every time he steps on the field, and listens to his coaches. My point? I'm NOT a hater.

Given the above, I'm a Bills fan. We really need to make the playoffs. I want him to improve and be more consistent. I don't expect him to throw bombs like Cutler or fastballs ala Newton. That would be ridiculous. But I DO want him to improve his game. Am I asking too much?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moorman was merely making sure Cribbs didn't touch the ball. Also, the rain probably affected his kicking. I'd lighten up on the dooms day expressions until this type of performance appears habitual.

Cribbs returning deep kick-offs was questionable stragedy. I know he's good but the back of the end zone? Nice special teams tackling by Rogers and Bradham on one play.

EA, by now, I think that you know that I value your opinion. I will even tip the scales of trite and tell you that TBD is doing well to have you post here. That said, I could not disagree more with some of your comments above.

If the Bills ran just once on the series about which I am speaking, they would have either taken it to the deuce, or forced Cleve to use a time out. Who knows, they might have even gained yardage. Please refresh my memory.....did they keep possession due to a lucky pass interference penalty?

If Cleveland would have scored before the half, at home, the momentum might really have changed the outcome of this football game. Look, you, Badolbilz, KTD, and many others were ahead of me wrt the rule changes, and the impact it would have on this sport. I have tried to catch up, and I think that I've made progress lol. But I do say that there will always be a place for "traditional" football. This Bills team might actually prove my point. Where would they be sans the running game this season?

If the Bills defense was the original, "Steel Curtain," fine, do as you will. But we had given up lots of points vs. the jets. This, imo, was not the time to get chesty, but it did work.

In any event, I, as always, do appreciate the dialogue.

Thanks, Bill, for the compliments. I feel the same way about you.

The point I was making earlier is that I want a coach to have a killer instinct.

For example, a defensive coordinator's goal on every possession should be to create either a turnover or a three-and-out. If he says, "oh, I'll let them have a few first downs here and there, as long as I don't give up the big play," then he's probably drifting away from the killer mentality he needs to have.

Maybe a defensive coordinator concludes that the most likely way of forcing a three-and-out is to rush four and drop seven back into coverage. Maybe having that many in coverage allows you to play tight coverage, because the guys covering have help over the top. If rushing four and dropping seven back into coverage moves you closer toward your goal of shutting down their offense--a three-and-out--then do it! But if a defensive coordinator rushes four, drops seven back into coverage, and has them play soft coverage, it might be time for him to ask himself what he's doing with his life.

I realize the above is drifting a little away from the original subject. To return to that subject: I agree that two passes and a run would have been better than three straight passes. I like Gailey's aggressive mentality, but there's room for that aggression to be honed.

> Look, you, Badolbilz, KTD, and many others were ahead of me wrt the rule changes, and the impact it would have on this sport.

You just went up a notch in my book. I'd much rather have a conversation with someone who's aware his perspective has evolved over time, than with someone who pretends he's always been right about everything. That being said, you're right a lot more often than you're wrong.

You may know this already. But for the benefit of those who don't: back in the '60s, the AFL was considered a wild, unpredictable, unconventional league. Teams would do crazy, unheard-of stuff. They'd sometimes throw the ball in first down. On third down, teams would often employ the so-called "nickle" defense. There were three and even four WR sets! The AFL was was a wild and crazy place--at least by NFL standards.

Some might look at the above, and say something along the following lines. "Over the last few decades, the league has evolved to become progressively more passing-oriented. Therefore it will continue to become even more focused on passing over the next decade or two." But that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that back in the '60s, the AFL was characterized by flexible thinking; whereas the NFL was characterized by more rigid and formulaic thinking. Logically, if passing the ball on third down is a good strategy, why wouldn't it also be a good strategy on first down? Why did teams feel like they had to run on first down, when that's exactly what their opponents were expecting them to do?

Flexible thinking is this: you forget everything you "know," and start with a blank piece of paper. Then you ask yourself, "What would happen if I did X? What would happen if I did Y?" Don't worry about whether something has or hasn't been done before. Only worry about whether it's logical--whether it moves you closer toward your goal of destroying the other team.

The OL as a unit is playing at a very high level. The player I focused on was Cordy Glenn. He is a stud tackle who rarely goes down and is terrific on passing plays where he consistently stays in front of the defender. Usually, rookies have very uneven performances when they play. Not him. He has played as a mature player and seamlessly has blended in with the other linemen. As a second round selection he is a steal.

Our best defensive player on the field by far is Mario Williams. He is taking the pressure off of the other linemen by garnering the attention of the offensive blockers and allowing the other players on the line more room to maneuver. The wrong way to evaluate Mario Williams is to use sacks as your measuring stick. He is playing with a bad hand and yet he is still the focus of attention of the offensive blockers. He is our difference maker on defense.

Fitz fulfilled his role very well i.e. he managed the offense. Most of his throws were underneath the defense, with very few long distant passes. That's fine with me. As long as he plays within himself (limitations} he will do fine. I'm worried that the loss of Spiller is going to allow the defense to play a tighter game and make Fitz less effective. In the limit amount of time that Spiller played in this game he demonstrated how dynamic a player he is and how important he is as a playmaker. I hope his injury isn't long-term.

What impresses me the most about Graham at this point is that he has very good hands. Speedster don't usually catch the ball too well. He might be a little raw but he is going to be force fed into contributing sooner than the coaches had planned.

Rookie CBs usually struggle and have inconsistent games. It is part of the learning process. He is going to be a good player for us. Don't fret it Bill. Be patient and you will be rewarded. Review the Spiller development.

Not for a top 10 pick!!

Not for a top 10 pick!!

There is nothing unusual about a top ten or even a top 5 pick strugglling in their rookie year, especially for a challenging position such as the CB position. Spiller struggled in his first year. Now he is a dynamic player for us. Players have different rates of development. Making a judgment on a player after three games is a tad bit premature. .