Patience has been earned by this regime

JoeF

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every business, and football is no exception, want and need results. The Bills are not going to sell seats, merchandise, whatever if they continue to lose. The Bills have the longest streak of not getting into the playoffs of any team in the league. It is time to put a winning tam on the field. Yes things have improved but results are the only things that matter.... In regards to how long it takes to turn around a team, just look at the 49'ers.

Which reminds me of a joke. What separates the best team in the NFL from the worst team?

The Bay bridge.....

Every business, and football is no exception, want and need results. The Bills are not going to sell seats, merchandise, whatever if they continue to lose. The Bills have the longest streak of not getting into the playoffs of any team in the league. It is time to put a winning tam on the field. Yes things have improved but results are the only things that matter.... In regards to how long it takes to turn around a team, just look at the 49'ers.

Which reminds me of a joke. What separates the best team in the NFL from the worst team?

The Bay bridge.....

Agreed, Nix even stated this over the summer that the time to win is now. Look, I don't want to blow up the whole thing either but you don't go spending the way the Bills spent this last year if they themselves did not think they were ready to win now. How the team does this week should add another piece to the puzzle especially on the road against a tough Cleveland team. The more I look at it though I really think that Jets game was a fluke. Bottomline is the Bills are going to have the advantage whoever they play on both sides of the line, they should be able to win alot of games by that advantage alone no matter how mediocre Fitz is.

The Bay bridge.....

It helps the 49ers a lot playing in a relatively weak division.

PTR

it takes longer than 3 years when you start with little to work with. Buddy has a mindset to build a divisional leader for the long term.

We have seen it in his Offensive line mostly. The team is now spending money and bringing in some decent players. Drafting last year looks very well done to me so far and the waiver wire has filled gaps and given us some very good players. We even brought in quite a few for a looksie. I think they are doing the right things and are starting to gain traction.

we play another game like that farce with the Jets and i will call for blood myself. But not yet. and i dont feel the pressure. its the second game of the season.

Playoffs would be sweet. I can almost see it...

No it doesn't. With FA and the draft many teams turn things around in well less than three years. Those teams usually have a good QB situation to build upon. If this team doesn't make the playoffs it will be squarely on Fitz's shoulders and this regime decided he was thier QB. If he fails he brings them down with him. They chose not to draft a young QB to groom, they chose not to bring in any viable back-up, and they chose to give him that contract. If Fitz is the albatross for this team, then Gailey should lose his job.

The Bay bridge.....

Dude they have been losing for twelve years, they sell out most of their games when there is still hope, and I would guess merchadise sales in Buffalo are just fine...As Steve Young stated about the enitre NFL, Bills fans have an inelastic demand for the Bills. Add in a battered syndrome mentality for the fans, and you get a fan base that spends money regardless of the product on the field. There is no rationale correlation between on the field performance and money spent on the BIlls.

Honestly I'd be happy with 8-8 this season. Just remember for everyone who wants to blow up the Bills if we don't make the playoffs. Look at how well Houstons patience with Kubiak and company has turned out.

How many patient years did it take Kubiak&Co?

It helps the 49ers a lot playing in a relatively weak division

PTR

Using that logic the Bills from a relatively strong division should beat SF no problem. Good to know.

Edited by kidprison

No it doesn't. With FA and the draft many teams turn things around in well less than three years. Those teams usually have a good QB situation to build upon. If this team doesn't make the playoffs it will be squarely on Fitz's shoulders and this regime decided he was thier QB. If he fails he brings them down with him. They chose not to draft a young QB to groom, they chose not to bring in any viable back-up, and they chose to give him that contract. If Fitz is the albatross for this team, then Gailey should lose his job.

Dude they have been losing for twelve years, they sell out most of their games when there is still hope, and I would guess merchadise sales in Buffalo are just fine...As Steve Young stated about the enitre NFL, Bills fans have an inelastic demand for the Bills. Add in a battered syndrome mentality for the fans, and you get a fan base that spends money regardless of the product on the field. There is no rationale correlation between on the field performance and money spent on the BIlls.

Many teams turn around in three years? What???

When do you start counting?

The bills roster was a joke. The starters on the team from the prior regime are:

Wood at a different position, Levitre, and Kyle Williams. That's it. Every othe position needed a bigger faster stronger or better player.

Jarons d invited the run, with the small, fast, bend but don't break mentality, which burned the clock and kept the score low containing big plays. You'd never win a game but you could avoid losing. This d only worked well with all pro linebackers that the bills never had, or a high powered offense that out scored the opponents with lots of big plays.

Nix built a team intent on beating and overpowering opponents. Its taken time to amass the brute force.

Trying to covert to a power team, and stop the run with light, slow weak DEs like maybin and Kelsey, and margainal LBs like poz and Keith Ellison was obviously not going to work immediately. Slowly most of those issues and the complete lack of depth in the trenches looks a lot better today.

It's a lot of fun now watching the blue guys push back the opposing guys now and if they stay sting in the trenches it will keep up for a while.

It's fun watching this brand of football.

Three years is more than enough time to turn around the team. No playoffs and Gailey/Wanny are out of jobs.

I would bet NIx keeps his job just because the 2012 draft loosk decent so far.

and that is the exact attitude that will send us back to where we where 6 years ago..

I agree with the OP patience..

This board is the wrong place to start a thread about patience.

I think both Gailey and Nix have been around long enough to know the only thing that matters is the end result. Gailey says it all the time. These guys know all of the "feel good" crap like changing the culture and having high character players doesn't mean diddly poo unless there are more Ws than Ls on the standings page.

What impresses me about both is their dedication to building it the right way. Who on the current roster was starting during Jauron's last season? Fitz, Wood (at a different position), and Levitre on offense, and Kelsay, Wilson, and Byrd on defense. Oh, and Moorman and Lindell. That's 6 out of 22 position players. In 2+ seasons Nix has replaced 16 starters and built an actual bench of depth, particularly on the lines.

I'm hopeful injuries don't strike and this team starts to realize its potential, because anything less than a 9-win season is going to be viewed very unfavorably.

A significant number of starters on this team were on the team when Nix and Chan took over. How bad could the guys they got rid of have been if they were able to win more games in DJ's last 2 years than in Chan's 1st 2 years?

6 out of 22 is "significant?" I beg to differ.

Two posts from this thread regarding Gailey's contract, that I want to mention here:

First, my own (of course B-) ) where it's mentioned that a coaching change doesnt necessarily blow it all up, but it could have us take a step back before we move forward.

IF (and that's a big IF) they were to get rid of Gailey, it isnt necessarily a blow it all up move. Nix and Whaley will still be here, and it will still the their team. There will be some new philosophies with new coaches, and new schemes to learn, but that's what players do.

It would be nice to have some continuity are every level, but I think Nix and Whaley can provide that foundation. Not an ideal situation but not as bad as we've seen before.

But more importantly, Brawndo's regarding our owner situation, and the fact that even if we fired Chan&Co., no good coach is going to want to come here anyways. Heck, we cant even get a lease signed with the county because they dont trust the team's stability.

How are we supposed to get another coach to come here with a soon to be 94 year old owner and only one more guaranteed season of the team staying in Buffalo.

Keep Gailey another year, draft a Franchise QB in the first round and see what Chan can do with a QB with better physical tools.

Using that logic the Bills from a relatively strong division should beat SF no problem. Good to know.

Stay away from logic. You'll get a headache. Not saying SF isn't a good team, just that they have at least 5 wins in their pocket to start.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Three years is more than enough time to turn around the team. No playoffs and Gailey/Wanny are out of jobs. I would bet NIx keeps his job just because the 2012 draft loosk decent so far.

Wrong. We are heading in the right director and starting to build a good group of core players. There is no set time period, and if there was, it certainly wouldn't be set by those in the stands

Here is what keeps getting missed in these conversations......

- Its not like the bills were picking in the top 5 of this past decades drafts........they were always playing JUST well enough to take us out of the blue chip player area....but not well enough to be playing in the post season.

- BECAUSE of that it is really tough to give a new set of staff every 3 year sthe "foundation" players needed to biuld a core of a team...ESPECIALLY when you consider the philosophy of this team has been to biuld through the draft and sprinkle in a couple of free agents.

- The practice in the past of constantly letting our players that we actually do draft and groom leave via free agency hence creating holes that continuously have to be refilled (thereby never really improving the team) is something that was going on BEFORE Nix and Gailey.

- We have been decimated by injury year after year after year......with lack of talent to be able to fill into those holes

Nix gets it......

- He knew that we needed to bottom out in order to get into those top 5 draft picks.....we did that and got Darius.....a foundation player

- He draft a RB who had potential for the FUTURE....hey how does that pick look now!

- Resigned our own good players

- Solid drafts

- Key free agents

Nix gets it

They've earned patience? Based on what, a 1-1 record this season with a bad road loss to a division rival? Buddy and Chan have all their chips in for 2012. If they go 10-6 and make the playoffs, sure they get another year. On the flip side, anything less than a playoff season after spending millions on UFA's, having 3 drafts under their collective belts, and inheriting no less than 7 starters from previous regimes is a massive disappointment. That especially goes for a franchise 12 seasons without a post-season berth. Patience? We'll see.

They've earned patience? Based on what, a 1-1 record this season with a bad road loss to a division rival? Buddy and Chan have all their chips in for 2012. If they go 10-6 and make the playoffs, sure they get another year. On the flip side, anything less than a playoff season after spending millions on UFA's, having 3 drafts under their collective belts, and inheriting no less than 7 starters from previous regimes is a massive disappointment. That especially goes for a franchise 12 seasons without a post-season berth. Patience? We'll see.

You seem to completely miss the point that 9 of those seasons are not Chan and Nix fault.

People tend to get a little short sited.....we want a winner....I get it.....but lets not blame Chan and Nix for 9 of those years.

You seem to completely miss the point that 9 of those seasons are not Chan and Nix fault.

People tend to get a little short sited.....we want a winner....I get it.....but lets not blame Chan and Nix for 9 of those years.

The "12 years" is a completely irrelevant number, but some Bills fans are simply unable to wrap their head around that concept, lest it get in the way of their favorite activity: bitching about the Bills and wallowing in misery.

The clock began in January of 2010, on a complete FRANCHISE rebuild. Not just the 53-man roster, but the culture in the offices, the scouting and personnel staff, etc.

In every one of these threads where someone lays down the statement "Plenty of teams do it in 3 years", I have never received a single real example of a franchise rebuild that took 3 years or less.

The Texans mentioned earlier took 5, with a new GM and coach. If anyone else would like to site examples, I'd love to hear them.

Honestly I'd be happy with 8-8 this season. Just remember for everyone who wants to blow up the Bills if we don't make the playoffs. Look at how well Houstons patience with Kubiak and company has turned out.

The only reason the Texans turned it around was due to the hiring of Wade Phillips. When you are the 4th largest TV market and home town, it is easy to hire a coach like Phillips. Let us not change history as to how Kubiak has bungled through season after season.

In every one of these threads where someone lays down the statement "Plenty of teams do it in 3 years", I have never received a single real example of a franchise rebuild that took 3 years or less.

The Texans mentioned earlier took 5, with a new GM and coach. If anyone else would like to site examples, I'd love to hear them.

The 2008 Atlanta Falcons. New GM, new HC, new QB. 4-12 in '07 to 11-5 (08) and 32 wins in (EDIT: 09)-11. I suppose now you'll say because they haven't won a playoff game that that doesn't count.

The 2006 New Orleans Saints. New HC, new QB, 3-13 in '05 to 13-3 (06) and 49 wins in 07-11.

The 1999 Indianapolis Colts. 3-13 in '98 to 13-3 (99) and 125 wins in 00-10.

The 2011 San Francisco 49ers. 6-10 in '10 to 13-3 (11) 2-0 to start 2012.

The 2003-04 New York Giants. 4-12 in '03 and 6-10 in '04 to 11-5 in '05. 57 wins in 06-11 and 2 SB titles.

Edited by BillsVet