Patience has been earned by this regime

JoeF

In this political season, I began to think about the Bills current leadership in terms of a presidency or a governership. I normally try to take a non-partisan or neutral approach and look at the facts. What did this regime inherit, have they addressed issues that will produce a better end result, are they building for the present and the future? If you look at the ultimate results you would say Nix/Gailey and company are failing....records of 4-12 and 6-10 and 2-9 in their last 11 regular season games, no road wins in over a year...all that would tend to say the Bills are not producing. However, I tend to try to look a little deeper into things like the make up of the roster, the development of players and the culture of the team -- on all these--I believe the Bills have made substantial progress from the Donahoe and Jauron/Levy "terms"...here's my evidence:

- Roster in particular the lines --The Bills have been pushed around the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball for the last dozen years. Its tough when the majority 3rd and shorts on either side of the ball are not going to go your way. The Bills now have relatively young and stout players on each side of the line. This is something you cannot win without and have a great foundation to win with. Nix has secured this talent for the future and I bet a lot Levitre gets extended before the end of the season. This regime understands the importance of these positions and has built talent and depth. They have excellent teachers as position coaches on both sides of the line and the fans have seen young talent developed particularly on the Offensive side.

- Culture-Due to a lot of things--this team is steeped with a professional attitude that knows how to prepare and doesn't get too high after a win or too low after a loss. There is a quiet confidence with good leaders -- Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Fitzy, Corey McIntyre, Kyle Williams, Nick Barnett, Bryan Scott, George Wilson -- who hold others accountable and keep the team balanced. There is also very little ego on the team -- no player seems to scream to be singled out -- but the message is -- do what it takes to prepare and put the team in a position to win -- gone are the "me" first players from the recent past-- Whitner, Lynch, Evans -- who thought the system and team should adjust to them rather than be part of a team. I liked each one of the three players I mentioned but look at it this way:

Whitner -- was an attention whore -- just wanted to be heard

Lynch-off the field actions hurt the team and himself

Evans-liked to stretch the field but couldn't adjust to the read and react game that Chan's system requires

Stevie is our most "me" guy and he is tame compared to the above -- he is still a team first player and willing to do anything to win.

This regime is not afraid to cut ties with players who don't produce on the field and can't adjust to the culture they are trying to establish. This team also invests in its own talent which is a break from the past -- Kyle Williams, George Wilson, Bryan Scott, Fitzy, Stevie--keeping players who buy into the culture.

- No ego front office -- the no ego front office point above is important--every talent evaluator is going to make mistakes -- the key is moving on from them. We lost $3M on the Merriman experiement but in the scope of a team that is valued at $800M -- its worth the risk. Talent evaluation is a risk business. They key is cutting bait when you have given it enough time and giving the roster spots you have to the players who can best succeed -- no matter what their draft position or investment. Its a balance between patience, potential and progress.

CJ is a great example--clearly needed a year and a half to adjust to the NFL game -- but the team never waivered on his potential and they saw progress--Chan was critical of him and made it clear what he needed to improve on but never waivered about the talent he saw in CJ -- some fans wanted to cut bait after a year and were panning the pick as a bust -- we can argue all day if a running back is worth a top pick -- but we have a dynamic player today -- who we are likely to get 5 or 6 great years from. The Alex Carrington vs. Dwan Edwards choice is another -- this regime brought in Dwan as one of their first FA signings -- they drafted Carrington the same year but had more invested in Dwan -- they cut bait on Dwan -- hard decision but its based on improving our depth at the position forcing tough choices.

This leadership group will continue to pursue upgrades everywhere -- there are no sacred players -- the chance to upgrade will always be a priority.

Overall--I think this regime deserves our patience -- this may be a 2-6 or 3-5 start due to the schedule -- Cleveland is no gimmie -- and then the first part of the schedule is looking brutal after that -- but I would rather stay patient for this year and let this regime have at least the 2013 season to figure it out...the talent upgrades (particularly the lines) and the culture change give me hope.

Edited by JoeF

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post. I think the culture change and setting the team up for the long haul are the best things that Nix and Gailey have done. I didn't think so at the time but I think the Spiller pick was directly due to them knowing they were getting rid of Lynch and everyone like him. They have made numerous mistakes, both of them, but with what they were given, and what they have now, to me, is night and day.

This, however, is the season. These guys have to produce on the field. Barring catastrophic injury, like last year, this team needs to take the next step and start to put wins on the board. If this team does not make the playoffs, with this schedule, it will be a major disappointment to me and failure of sorts of the Nix/Gailey regime (unless some strange thing happens where they win 10-11 games and don't get in). I was lukewarm about the Nix hire and hated the Gailey hire, but started to like both of them within a relatively short time, and now I genuinely like both a lot. If they don't win now, however, that will be fleeting.

Great post. I am also willing to be patient with these guys. It's tough, but they're only responsible for the last 2-3 years, not the last 12. I am willing to let it slide if we don't get into the playoffs but finish 8-8 or better AND have another good offseason with key additions and minimal subtractions.

One of the worst things this franchise has done, outside of hiring the wrong people to run the show, is the lack of continuity. I think these guys should get another year, with the mission of going out and finding a QB if the Bills don't do well (because, well, I think if the Bills don't make the playoffs, a lot of it will be Fitzpatrick).

it takes longer than 3 years when you start with little to work with. Buddy has a mindset to build a divisional leader for the long term.

We have seen it in his Offensive line mostly. The team is now spending money and bringing in some decent players. Drafting last year looks very well done to me so far and the waiver wire has filled gaps and given us some very good players. We even brought in quite a few for a looksie. I think they are doing the right things and are starting to gain traction.

we play another game like that farce with the Jets and i will call for blood myself. But not yet. and i dont feel the pressure. its the second game of the season.

Playoffs would be sweet. I can almost see it...

Edited by 3rdand12

we need to make the playoffs or atleast win 10 games. If we win 10 games but get shut out, that would totally suck BUT it would show they are building something. It's funny some people are WIN NOW but also draft a rookie quarterback and play him. ? Which is it.........It's long enough - make the playoffs. Of course when they do then it's a weak division or weak schedule or something else besides they accomplished what they set out to do.

Edited by CardinalScotts

One of the worst things this franchise has done, outside of hiring the wrong people to run the show, is the lack of continuity. I think these guys should get another year, with the mission of going out and finding a QB if the Bills don't do well (because, well, I think if the Bills don't make the playoffs, a lot of it will be Fitzpatrick).

Lack of continuity hurts, but it is a circular argument. Let's say the job is digging a ditch. We go out and hire a guy with no arms to dig us the ditch. We buy him a shiny, new shovel and wait patiently. He does his best, but it's really difficult for the armless employee to dig the ditch. Should we just wait longer or do we facepalm ourselves and hire someone else? And if we choose the latter and have learned nada, we could hire a 4 year old girl or a panda bear to dig the ditch. And on it goes...

we need to make the playoffs or atleast win 10 games. If we win 10 games but get shut out, that would totally suck BUT it would show they are building something. It's funny some people are WIN NOW but also draft a rookie quarterback and play him. ? Which is it.........It's long enough - make the playoffs. Of course when they do then it's a weak division or weak schedule or something else besides they accomplished what they set out to do.

I would be happy to win 10 and very pissed to miss the playoffs. Obviously winning 10 is a nice progression and no one should get fired if that happens.

It's a results oriented business. If the team goes in the tank and shows it hasn't a clue what it is doing, say an overall record of 15-33 or so, then what is the point of giving it a few more years exactly? By the way, from the actions they have taken, it seems rather likely that this group is under some real pressure to show progress and not just talk about it.

it takes longer than 3 years when you start with little to work with. Buddy has a mindset to build a divisional leader for the long term.

We have seen it in his Offensive line mostly. The team is now spending money and bringing in some decent players. Drafting last year looks very well done to me so far and the waiver wire has filled gaps and given us some very good players. We even brought in quite a few for a looksie. I think they are doing the right things and are starting to gain traction.

we play another game like that farce with the Jets and i will call for blood myself. But not yet. and i dont feel the pressure. its the second game of the season.

Playoffs would be sweet. I can almost see it...

A significant number of starters on this team were on the team when Nix and Chan took over. How bad could the guys they got rid of have been if they were able to win more games in DJ's last 2 years than in Chan's 1st 2 years?

A significant number of starters on this team were on the team when Nix and Chan took over. How bad could the guys they got rid of have been if they were able to win more games in DJ's last 2 years than in Chan's 1st 2 years?

Please tell me you're just playing Devil's Advocate. DJ had his team in place the last 2 yrs. He should have a better record for those two years. No?!?! Nix and Chan spent their first 2 yrs tearing apart that POS team we had. It would stand to reason Dj would have a better record for that 2 yr span.

Edited by Dopey

Based on his track record with Buff and SD in his previous stints,I was happy when we hired Nix. He knows what he's doing. Here's what he did from 93-2000: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/104391-buddy-nixs-bills-draft-history-sort-of-1993-2000/

See the next link for some of his highlights with SD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix

I know SD didn't win a SB, but I would take their record and drafts vs. ours while he was in SD. Pro Bowl players, and playoffs with a decent chance at a SB. I think we are being built the right way to be good for a while. Enjoy it cuz it's cyclical.