Looking ahead to the 2013 Draft...I know...I know...

KOKBILLS

I do tell my dog what to do. He is effing smart and learns tricks very easily.

Oh by the way. Too early for this Sh....

Tell that to all the pro scouts working right now, and all of the kids playing college football now, this fall. No one is giving up on the Bills season. This thread has very little to do with the Bills season. It's more about watching college ball now in order to know who these kids are come draft time. Doesnt matter if we were going 0-16 or 16-0, Id still be talking about it. And even if we were 16-0, we still need to draft a young QB prospect.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You left out an interesting prospect. If Wisconsin gets its act together it will most likely be because Dan O'Brian has a season like he did his first year at Maryland (before Randy what's his name messed him up). The kid may not come out this year but he's worth watching.

This makes next week's WVU/Maryland game that much more interesting!

I'll add some thoughts on EJ Manuel. Good kid, going into his 5th year with FSU. He's got the good numbers, he's got the measureables and the requisite skills. He's big, can move and run with the ball, and has the ability to make all the throws. But he needs to put it all together, make some better decisions, etc. He looked good in spot starting duty for Ponder during his RS fresh/soph seasons, leading us to bowl wins in both. Last season, he looked inconsistent. Even thought his completion % is high (Jimbo runs a lot of short passing plays here), his accuracy wasn't always the best on deeper throws.There were times when he needed to step up and didn't quite do it, and then other times, like the bowl game against ND, where he played most of the game on the broken leg, and was extremely clutch in leading us on a few 4th quarter scoring drives to pull out the win. He played like a champ there.

Something to keep in mind also is that he was banged up a lot of last year, and FSUs offensive line was horrible. He has very little time in the pocket, and virtually no rushing attack to speak of.

One thing i will say about Manuel, is that he's right at the same point career wise in Jimbo's offense (~20 starts) that Christian Ponder was when the "light went on" for Ponder. Ponder was amazing after that point. Lots of us here think that the ND game may have been the "light going on" game for EJ. If it did, we could see EJ get taken in the first round or 2 next spring. If he continues along his current career path, he'll be a 4th-5t round prospect.

You answered your own question. I wouldnt just say inaccurate, Id say wildly inaccurate at times. 19 TDs and 11 INTs with only 1 year starting (so far) just doesnt impress me. Looks to be more of the same this year, but I'll keep an eye on him.

I also wouldnt compare him to Newton or Tannenhill. It's an insult to Newton, and I dont care about Tanny. Big Ben or Freeman I will give you. But that's a big maybe. Big Ben's completion rate was well above 60% in all 3 years of starting, his last year he completed 69.1% while throwing almost 500 times. And even with all of those attempts he didnt have as many INTs as Thomas.

For the record:

Big Ben

2001 241/381 (63.3%) 3105yds 21TDs 2INTs

2002 271/428 (63.3%) 3238yds 22TDs 11INTs

2003 342/495 (69.1%) 4486yds 37TDs 10INTs

Logan Thomas

2011 234/391 (59.8%) 3013yds 19TDs 10INTs

I know it's about more than just numbers, but the productivity has to be there. In what I saw from Thomas last season, and this year so far, I might consider him in the late 2nd or 3rd. But I dont want another Edwards/mid-round guy. I want THE guy.

Big Ben in the MAC conference did light it up. Logan Thomas has all the tools if he does improve a little.

I'm for Barkley or Geno sMith I guess. They both look solid. If bills win 9 games and Barkley/smith off board then I'll live w Logan Thomas.

have we all considered that trading draft picks(many or high and many) might be needed? i am sure most have. The cost was very high to get into last years draft "elite" for us. Too high maybe..I suspect and hope that we will be further away than pick 10 this time in, but boy the longer we wait for the qb the greater the sacrifice. and we wont get another secret santa gift like Cordy Glenn again soon.

Exactly the type of post I expected from someone on this board!...Thanks for not letting me down... :thumbsup:

Also...No one ever tells me what to do...So when you say stop it...It's like talking to a brick wall...Because I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do around here...It's a free board...a free country...Go tell you're dog what to do...Let others do as they wish... B-)

Well, how many different ways can it be beaten to death? Every stinking day there is a new topic bashing Fitz. It's just getting old. The 2013 draft for Qbs has already been hashed and rehashed and rerehashed. How many times does it have to happen? It was the 1st game of the year. Can't we try and enjoy 2012 first? There is 4 months between the end of the season and the draft, can't it wait until then! Geez

Well, how many different ways can it be beaten to death? Every stinking day there is a new topic bashing Fitz. It's just getting old. The 2013 draft for Qbs has already been hashed and rehashed and rerehashed. How many times does it have to happen? It was the 1st game of the year. Can't we try and enjoy 2012 first? There is 4 months between the end of the season and the draft, can't it wait until then! Geez

If you want to wait...Wait...If we want to talk about the QB's of 2013...We're going to do it...The two can co-exist...Can they not?

And it may have been the 1st Game of the year...But this Team has now lost 8 of it's last 9 Games, and 11 of it's last 14...And to say Fitz has looked poor in that span would be an understatement (His QB Rating is 72.71 over the past 14 Games...18 TD's to 23 INT's... Only 2 Games with 3 TD's and 4 Games with 3 or more INT's...How can this not be a major concern?...lol)...Plus, keep in mind there are many here who never wanted the Kingdom passed over to Fitz in the 1st place...So...The only way the talk can calm down is if Fitz can prove those of us who are most critical of his play wrong...And it's not happening...I'm a Bills Fan...Have been for over 40 years now...I want Fitz to prove me wrong...He just doesn't do it often enough...So I'm looking for the next big thing in the meantime... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Exactly the type of post I expected from someone on this board!...Thanks for not letting me down... :thumbsup:

Also...No one ever tells me what to do...So when you say stop it...It's like talking to a brick wall...Because I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do around here...It's a free board...a free country...Go tell you're dog what to do...Let others do as they wish... B-)

Whatevuh, I do what I want

How about Tajh Boyd from Clemson? Check his stats.

Being that I live near Clemson, i see alot of Tajh, he's got a loooong way to go. Frankly, I dont think hes gonna play in the NFL.

On the Other hand, Geno Smith is a guy i've had my eye on for the last 2 yrs, and especially going into this season. He has everything you look for in the Modern franchise QB, size, arm, smart, escapability, and is familiar with spread (not read option) principles. He did very well this past summer at the Manning Passing Academy, drawing praise from several coaches, and is dedicated to being a passer first (as stated in multiple interviews).

Barkley will be the guy to get all the press and acolades because of his high profile school, but Geno Smith is the one to watch.If we have a shot at this kid, he should be the pick, trade up to get him if you have to, IMHO, he's the Gem of this QB class.

Admittedly I've never been a Fitz guy...I've always felt he would make a fine Back-Up QB...A decent Starter in spots...But I don't believe he is a QB that can get you to the Playoffs...In fact I'm not even sure he can get The Bills above .500...But I certainly hope I'm wrong about that...And it is just my opinion...

So after Fitz laid his Opening Day egg, I decided to take a look into the future...The 2013 Draft...I was pleased to see that there are a lot of young QB's in College that currently carry potential 1st or 2nd day Grades (I said potential...so don't give me hell...it's still early... ;) ) should they all come out...So I figured we should get started watching these Kids (I will)...I'm pretty sure one of them is going to end up being the future at QB for The Buffalo Bills...Just have a feeling about that...

Matt Barkley - USC

Tyler Wilson - Arkansas

Logan Thomas - Va Tech

Geno Smith - West Virginia

Landry Jones - Oklahoma

Tyler Bray- Tennessee

EJ Manuel - Florida St

Aaron Murray - Georgia

And Casey Pachall TCU playing Kansas @ noon sat, on FX (248 directv)

Thoughts? Just on the Prospects...Not on Fitz...That horse has been beat to death the last few days... B-)

Tyler Bray should be our first pick.

QB 6"6' 215 Tennessee.

Season G Att Comp Pct Yds Long Pass Effic. TD Int Yds/G

2010 9 224 125 .558 1849 80 142.7 18 10 205.4

2011 7 247 147 .595 1983 81 144.8 17 6 283.3

2012 2 61 45 .738 643 72 194.8 6 0 321.5

"Bray passed for four touchdowns and more than 310 yards in his near-perfect performance in the Vols' 51-13 victory against Georgia State at Neyland Stadium.

The Panthers (0-2) are a lightly regarded Championship Subdivision team, so Bray's dominance was hardly unexpected. But the ease and confidence with which he has played in each of Tennessee's first two games has erased any doubts about the potency of the Vols' passing game.

Bray's confidence in his progressions — that is, the order in which he checks multiple receivers on different routes — is one reason he said he has progressed from a freshman "gunslinger" to a more mature quarterback.

"I was playing on instinct, but now I understand the game, know my reads and how to get people the ball," he said."

http://www.knoxnews....perfect-in-win/

there are no NFL caliber QBs in this years draft. STAY AWAY.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::doh:

I'd immediately cross off Tyler Bray

Don't worry you will be putting him back on your list right quick, Kid has a accurate, rocket arm and has learned to make his reads.

That is a very uninspiring class. I've already read some reports that the #1 prospect Barkley is a trumped-up noodle arm that looks good because he

plays for a huge power house.

Forget what the experts say, after watching some games you will see there are some good prospects. (although not a big Barkely fan, but he won't be # 1 by seasons end)

How about Tajh Boyd from Clemson? Check his stats.

No thanks, bad decision maker, inaccurate, Mike Vick ultra lite

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Admittedly I've never been a Fitz guy...I've always felt he would make a fine Back-Up QB...A decent Starter in spots...But I don't believe he is a QB that can get you to the Playoffs...In fact I'm not even sure he can get The Bills above .500...But I certainly hope I'm wrong about that...And it is just my opinion...

So after Fitz laid his Opening Day egg, I decided to take a look into the future...The 2013 Draft...I was pleased to see that there are a lot of young QB's in College that currently carry potential 1st or 2nd day Grades (I said potential...so don't give me hell...it's still early... ;) ) should they all come out...So I figured we should get started watching these Kids (I will)...I'm pretty sure one of them is going to end up being the future at QB for The Buffalo Bills...Just have a feeling about that...

Matt Barkley - USC

Tyler Wilson - Arkansas

Logan Thomas - Va Tech

Geno Smith - West Virginia

Landry Jones - Oklahoma

Tyler Bray- Tennessee

EJ Manuel - Florida St

Aaron Murray - Georgia

Thoughts? Just on the Prospects...Not on Fitz...That horse has been beat to death the last few days... B-)

One of the key factors in any future draft equation is who needs a QB. Let's face it, with 5 teams starting rookies and several other teams having 2nd year QB you can take 9/10 out of the mix right now. Miami, Washington, Indy, Seattle, and Cleveland, plus Carolina, Minnesota, Cinicinnati, Tennessee. Don't think the Bills have to worry about NE, GB, Pittsburgh, NYG, Atlanta, Tampa, Detroit, St.L,, Chicago either as they have great QB and most will end up with a better record that Buffalo. So who's left that needs a QB? If there's 4/5 potential 1st round QB how in the world do we not end up with one? Oh, Buddy Nix will draft a LB in the first and then see a nightmare unfoldand he can't find one he likes in round 2.

There are other threads to you can go if future qb doesn't interest you. Some of us are enjoying this conversation about 2013 qb's. Lets just ignore QB in the draft for another 10 years or so?? Scouts are out doing their thing as we speak, its never too early.

Maybe we can pilfer a Fitzpatrick type from Cincy or a Tarvaris type from Seattle that will get us to....ohhh nevermind...were already on the retreaded multi failure stop qb thing.....You are killing me smalls

I see the Tahj Boyd talk and he looks much improved from what I saw vs Auburn.

Almost any of the above would be an improvement over the current situation IMO. Gonna have to check out this Bray kid, Barbarian's hyping him something fierce.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Tell that to all the pro scouts working right now, and all of the kids playing college football now, this fall. No one is giving up on the Bills season. This thread has very little to do with the Bills season. It's more about watching college ball now in order to know who these kids are come draft time. Doesnt matter if we were going 0-16 or 16-0, Id still be talking about it. And even if we were 16-0, we still need to draft a young QB prospect.

Save your breath man, most of the people on this board think the only football is played on Sundays.

With that being said, you I believe live in SEC Territory & Georgia Territory(Atlanta maybe?) & would certainly know more about the guy then I do but I am intrigued by A Murray. I wread one scouting report on him that said "if you look up the definition of what a quarterback should look like, A Murray picture would be right next to it." Strong arm from what I have seen. I think he compares favorable to Stafford when he was at Georgia.

Count me in the camp that wants nothing to do with Logan Thomas. I stated this in another thread but the production is just not there. He will shoot up the draft charts because of his tangibles though.

If Aaron Murray comes out (he's a Junior I believe), the kid is a gamer and has a nice arm. Plays SEC ball. Doesn't have that "water bug" skill set so I'm not sure Buddy Nix will like him. :doh: You're right though, a nice list of prospects. Of course it depends on what type of offense our coaches want to run...mobile QB's vs. pure passers. If we don't get the one we want (let's say we want a pure passer and he gets taken) do we draft a scrambler with a mediocre arm "just because we need a QB". Then again, if we have the first pick in the draft, we have our choice (just kidding...don't kick my a$$ on that last comment).

Yeah, looked horrible against UB. He's not even the best QB in his own conference.

I think you are right that one of them will likely end up being the Bills QB. Even if Fitz plays well for the rest of the year, I think this is the year Buddy drafts a quarterback to start grooming under Fitz. If Fitz sucks, well then they have to bring somebody in for obvious reasons.

The scary thing is, according to most experts, Barkley is the best QB in this class. He doesn't look very good to me on the football field for an elite QB. He certainly is no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Also, I know he is still just a kid but he does not have the personality traits necessary for a true franchise quarterback. He is not very well spoken. He is not a natural leader.

It sucks, but the Bills are likely going to draft one of these guys. If Barkley is really the best, we're in trouble. If there is a better one from the bunch who can truly blossom, let's hope we find him. I certainly don't want a Jake Locker or a Blaine Gabbert ruining our hopes for another three years. I seriously can't take much more.

I pray to God Fitz is good this year and then we can take our time identifying our future QB and grooming him.

Tha scary thing about Fitz's first game was those interceptions were bad throws and bad decisions. They were as bad as it gets as far as interceptions go for an NFL quarterback. This after they brought a guy in to work with him on his mechanics. He was awful. Even when he threw downfield, his throws were high. I think it's a very dificult thing to change a quarterback's mechanics at this point in his life. All his mechanics are pretty much instilled. He's been throwing one way all his life and then is expected to change. It's very hard to do. Maybe they should have left him alone. No one changed Bernie Kosar because it couldn't be done. I don't think Fitz will ever be a franchise type quarterback. He will have good games and bad games and awful games. The tougher the competition, the worse he will be. The Bills need to draft a quarterback next year and lets hope he can be a franchise guy. Not sure about the draft crop though.