Looking ahead to the 2013 Draft...I know...I know...

KOKBILLS

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching Bray right now, he's impressive but does he have a really long throwing motion? Seems like that to me. Maybe I'm looking for warts

Some of the negatives I've read about Bray are concerning his staring down receivers...I'm sure he's got all kinds of things to learn...But his arm looks strong enough...He can sling it in there...I don't know...To me, and it's WAY early...Gino looks better than all of them...After that, it's wide open... B-)

It's never too early to start thinking about the draft. It has nothing to do with thinking "our season is over" or any crap like that. College football is being played now, and for those of us who watch it, it's fun to have our own prospects to "scout".

I'd immediately cross off Tyler Bray and Logan Thomas. I like Aaron Murray, but dont think he'll be an elite QB that can step right in and be an upgrade over Fitz.

IMO, the real list is down to Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. I'm 50/50 on Landry Jones, as I've seen a few games where he really wowed me with throws, but I've also seen him tank it and there is the knock that he is a product of a system. I'm not completely sold on Barkley either. I've made it a goal to watch as many USC and WVU games as possible this year. Easy to do with USC as they are on almost every week. WVU is a bit tougher. Their next televised game is next weekend against Maryland on FX.

I personally think Geno Smith is the front runner, but there is a lot of season left. Smith is a 3 year starter with a great TD:INT ratio (55:14 not including what he has done this year already), and completion rates of 64.8% and 65.8% (with as many, or more attempts than Barkley, btw).

Barkley is a 4 year starter and his numbers are pretty good as well, but between being a product of USC, and just something about him I dont like, I'm not sold yet.

It will be good if Barkley stays the top prospect, and we dont have to trade up to get the 1st QB. I think it will be much easier to trade up to get the 2nd or 3rd QB, or better yet, he falls to us!

Edit: As an afterthought, I've removed Tyler Wilson from my scouting for now since he is injured, and has only been a starter for 1 year. I think NFL GMs want as much experience as possible, that is why Barkley, Smith and Jones will top the list.

I like Geno Smith. He has a great arm, and is VERY accurate. I stop short of putting him on my list because of his sheepishness in the leadership department. It's a small thing, I know, but leadership at the QB position has BIG implications for a team like ours going forward.

I really like the way Logan Thomas breaks the huddle. Despite having a crop a very inexp'd recievers this year, Thomas seems to be in command at the line of scrimmage. He is a big, physical, presence with a powerful arm, great mobility, and a fearless approach to the game.

I wouldn't compare him to Ro-berger, but I think he has an equally high ceiling in terms of talent. College QB Stats are good to look at, but you really need to look at alot of the situational ones to get a clear picture. Completion percentage alone won't tell you JACK about the way a kid can manage a pro offense.

IMO, strength of conference is also an important factor. Big ben played in the MAC, where he faced such vaunted competition as Ball State, Akron, Western Mich, and Bowling Green. -Good programs in their own right, but perhaps not as daunting as an ACC schedule that features Fla. State, Clemson, Boston College, and Georgia Tech.

I've been assessing the way Thomas handles his tough divisional rivals, So far he's looked damn decent. I don't really expect a Frank Beamer QB to light up the stat-sheet every Saturday. Mike Vick, IMO was highly unusual in that respect. I'm really looking forward to see what Thomas does with the meat of his schedule. For right now, Thomas is the QB I'd want most to be on our roster. -NOT with Chan Gailey as HC/OC though.

IMO, Gailey's coaching style is just as big of an impediment for this team as not having a franchise QB.

Edited by #34fan

I would agree that it doesn't hurt to look.

Look, whether or not you like Fitz (which I happen to do) I have to ask one simple question: do you see Ryan Fitzpatrick as a franchise quarterback, the guy that we speak of with the same tone as Jim Kelley? I think Fitz is our best option this season. There were/are so many problems to fix that trading up crazy high to get RGIII wasn't an option.

I wan't Fitz running this offense this year. Next year too. The year after that...I'm open to suggestions.

I like Geno Smith. He has a great arm, and is VERY accurate. I stop short of putting him on my list because of his sheepishness in the leadership department. It's a small thing, I know, but leadership at the QB position has BIG implications for a team like ours going forward.

I really like the way Logan Thomas breaks the huddle. Despite having a crop a very inexp'd recievers this year, Thomas seems to be in command at the line of scrimmage. He is a big, physical, presence with a powerful arm, great mobility, and a fearless approach to the game.

I wouldn't compare him to Ro-berger, but I think he has an equally high ceiling in terms of talent. College QB Stats are good to look at, but you really need to look at alot of the situational ones to get a clear picture. Completion percentage alone won't tell you JACK about the way a kid can manage a pro offense.

IMO, strength of conference is also an important factor. Big ben played in the MAC, where he faced such vaunted competition as Ball State, Akron, Western Mich, and Bowling Green. -Good programs in their own right, but perhaps not as daunting as an ACC schedule that features Fla. State, Clemson, Boston College, and Georgia Tech.

I've been assessing the way Thomas handles his tough divisional rivals, So far he's looked damn decent. I don't really expect a Frank Beamer QB to light up the stat-sheet every Saturday. Mike Vick, IMO was highly unusual in that respect. I'm really looking forward to see what Thomas does with the meat of his schedule. For right now, Thomas is the QB I'd want most to be on our roster. -NOT with Chan Gailey as HC/OC though.

IMO, Gailey's coaching style is just as big of an impediment for this team as not having a franchise QB.

How far did Thomas's "breaking the huddle" get him yesterday? Were you able to catch that game?

I know numbers dont tell the whole story, but good QBs put up good numbers and are productive consistently. Thomas played Pitt yesterday, a comparable team to some of those MAC teams, and it was a very rough and ugly outing.

If I/we are looking to trade up to get THE guy, I want someone with a good starting history and impressive, consistent numbers. That's where I'd start. Their in-game prowess is then added on to that. For me, that means Geno is the man. And everything Ive heard out of WVU is that he is the leader of that team.

It's still early in the year, but I dont know how anyone can make a case for Thomas other than his size and arm strength are nice, but that alone wont get him very far. JMHO.

Yeah, looked horrible against UB. He's not even the best QB in his own conference.

Yeah, that 15 for 26, 258yd, 3TD 0INT performance was just plain awful.

I'm not really keen on bringing in a rookie QB, but if we do, I want Aaron Murray. Geno Smith would be just as nice, but I think he'll be gone by the time we pick.

Aaron Murray! The guy has everything talent wise. He knows how to play at a high level even when the game has long since been decided. Plus he's been rated to go in the second or third round, he'd be a steal.

He threw ten more TDs last year than Stafford ever threw in a season and he's off to a great start this season. He's got a football brain and nothing rattles him. He can make every throw, he's a hard worker, and by all accounts a solid character guy. I really think he'll be a solid NFL pro and would love to see us draft the kid.

there are no NFL caliber QBs in this years draft. STAY AWAY.

Wha? We're not even 1/3rd of the way through the college football season, and you can already make that claim? Fairly certain most respected college and pro football analysts would disagree.

In reality, 3-5 of those guys will be starting next year, and the Bills should draft one. It doesn't matter if he plays well or not, recycling failed back-ups and 1st round busts isn't the longterm answer, even if it means doing what Atlanta and Philly have done and ship guys out for draft picks in a few years.