Looking ahead to the 2013 Draft...I know...I know...

KOKBILLS

Barkely is the 2nd coming of Leinart... Don't want. He is on a great team with top level talent at every position surrounding him.. USC WRs are sick too.

I like Geno but the Bills will need to trade up to get him after winning the usual 6-7 games this year.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nassib has a certain trentative feel to him. Many of his passes are of the short check down variety. Up until this year he averaged about 6.5 ypa and this year has bumped it up to 7.2. I'm thinking he is more of a 4th-5th round guy if even that high. He has experience in the spread which may be a fit for the Bills but he's not the impact guy that I would like to see come to Buffalo.

I think krt88 was onto something as we should be looking at who may draft a qb (as of right now anyway)

Teams that are set at qb (franchise guy, 1st or 2nd year high pick, entrenched starter):

Ravens (flacco), Steelers (Big Ben), Bears (Cutler), Lions (Stafford), Vikings (Ponder), Packers (Rodgers), Colts (Luck), Titans (Locker), Falcons (Ryan), Panthers (Cam), Saints (Brees), Dolphins (Tanny), Pats* (Brady), Jets (Sancez/Tebow), Giants (Eli), Skins (RG3), Broncos (Manning/Osweiller), Chargers (Rivers), 49ers (Smith/Kaepernick), Seahawks (Wilson/Flynn), Rams (Bradford).

That's 21 teams right there. I also think there are some fence sitting teams I would be surprised and at the same time not surprised if they took a qb early:

Bengals (Dalton), Browns (Weeden), Texans (Schaub), Jags (Gabbert - looks a lot better this year), Bucs (Freeman), Cowboys (Romo), Eagles (Vick), Raiders (Palmer/mr. tattoo)

That removes another 8 teams right there. Which leaves my list at 3 teams that should be considering 1st round qbs:

Chiefs (cassel) - may actually stick with him if he proves to be worthy but at this point I doubt it.

Cardinals (Kolb/Skelton) - see Chiefs and I'll add that Larry Fitzgerald may go ape if they don't draft a qb to get him the ball!

Bills - This horse is dead and beaten but I'll pile on anyway Fitz isn't the answer unless the question is who shouldn't be starting for the Bills on opening day next year.

So there it is my not so expert analysis. You may agree/disagree and I'm sure at least 1 more team will be looking qb this draft but still with the number being 4 teams the Bills should have a shot at a difference maker (Barkley clear #1 I don't see what you guys see with this noodle arm thing I see a 4 year starter who has gotten better every year and even outclassed Luck last year head to head), and Geno Smith a nice consolation prize that may not even require moving up to #2. With Bray, Pachall (not sold on this kid Barbarian sorry but red flags everywhere), and Landry Jones prob going in the 1st 2 rounds, this is the year a move HAS to be made imo.

Barkely is the 2nd coming of Leinart... Don't want. He is on a great team with top level talent at every position surrounding him.. USC WRs are sick too.

I like Geno but the Bills will need to trade up to get him after winning the usual 6-7 games this year.

If Smith continues on his path of success, I'd be willing to make a trade similar to what the Redskins gave up this year for RG3, in order to move up and get him. Heck, I'd even sweeten the deal with additional late round picks if need be.

I'm with you on that, but I think Geno Smith might be the only one to prove us wrong. I wouldn't want Barkley at all.

Like I said in a post above...Smith is the one guy that is intriguing me the most...He's got a chance to move WAY up if he keeps improving... B-)

I think Bills and Arizona, maybe Chiefs will be looking to RD1 for a QB.

However, If a franchise LT is there for Arizona, they take him over the QB.

If the Chiefs see a CB or FS they love, they take him over the QB.

If a franchise WR or LB is there for the Bills...

Anyway, my 6 choices for the Bills system at QB, at this point, and in this order:

1. Geno Smith - great mobility, savvy, smart, plays hurry-up well, above-average arm (not great, relatively speaking)

2. Logan Thomas - great mobility, great size, smart, has disappointed me so far

3. Tyler Wilson - live arm, some mobility, can spin it in winds

4. Brad Sorenson - NFL release, very good footwork, very good size, poised, 148 QB rating vs. Cal

5. Mike Glennon - great size, very good arm, learned behind Russell Wilson

6. Marqueis Gray - The wild card. Incredibly athletic, versatile, strong arm, runs too soon

Bray=no huddle presence yet

Barkley=short (we have too many passes batted down now)

Landry Jones=pocket passer

I think you are right that one of them will likely end up being the Bills QB. Even if Fitz plays well for the rest of the year, I think this is the year Buddy drafts a quarterback to start grooming under Fitz. If Fitz sucks, well then they have to bring somebody in for obvious reasons.

The scary thing is, according to most experts, Barkley is the best QB in this class. He doesn't look very good to me on the football field for an elite QB. He certainly is no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Also, I know he is still just a kid but he does not have the personality traits necessary for a true franchise quarterback. He is not very well spoken. He is not a natural leader.

It sucks, but the Bills are likely going to draft one of these guys. If Barkley is really the best, we're in trouble. If there is a better one from the bunch who can truly blossom, let's hope we find him. I certainly don't want a Jake Locker or a Blaine Gabbert ruining our hopes for another three years. I seriously can't take much more.

I pray to God Fitz is good this year and then we can take our time identifying our future QB and grooming him.

Totally disagree with the bolded part. Check out the SI story linked below. Barkley really seems to have his head screwed on right. After reading this piece, I'm rooting for him and I would not have a problem if he was the future of the Buffalo Bills!

http://sportsillustr...04838/index.htm

Edited by bills_fan

I think Bills and Arizona, maybe Chiefs will be looking to RD1 for a QB.

However, If a franchise LT is there for Arizona, they take him over the QB.

If the Chiefs see a CB or FS they love, they take him over the QB.

If a franchise WR or LB is there for the Bills...

Anyway, my 6 choices for the Bills system at QB, at this point, and in this order:

1. Geno Smith - great mobility, savvy, smart, plays hurry-up well, above-average arm (not great, relatively speaking)

2. Logan Thomas - great mobility, great size, smart, has disappointed me so far

3. Tyler Wilson - live arm, some mobility, can spin it in winds

4. Brad Sorenson - NFL release, very good footwork, very good size, poised, 148 QB rating vs. Cal

5. Mike Glennon - great size, very good arm, learned behind Russell Wilson

6. Marqueis Gray - The wild card. Incredibly athletic, versatile, strong arm, runs too soon

Bray=no huddle presence yet

Barkley=short (we have too many passes batted down now)

Landry Jones=pocket passer

Blech. Gag me on Mike Glennon. The kid is terrible. I've seen him play, and he folds like a lawn chair against any tough defense. He's the classic case of a "numbers" guy who puts up stats against inferior opponents and then shats the bed against quality teams.

And i'll pass on Logan Thomas too. The kid just doesn't have what it takes at the NFL level. I simply don't trust him.

Geno Smith could be the number 1 pick next year with the way he's been playing. We could use him now.

I'm wondering if Smith ends up being 2013's RGIII...To me he looks head over heels better than any of the other guys outside of Barkley...And Smith may very well be the better Pro Prospect...I watched his YouTube from the LSU Game last year and came out surprisingly impressed...He gets the ball out quick, and looked pretty good vs that crazy-talented LSU D...I mean...463 yds vs. that Secondary is saying something...He's plenty athletic...I think Gailey would love to have that Kid... B-)

Ramius, it's time to think about bran.

I assure you that the Bills will be taking a QB in this draft, and it may not be the QB that the media touts. After these QBs start playing games against better competition, it will be easier to see who'd be better for the Bills. It won't be Barkley or Jones, and pretty sure it isn't Bray.

Where and when to watch these kids play today:

Landry Jones - Off

EJ Manuel vs Wake Forest, 12:00pm, ESPN

Logan Thomas vs Pittsburgh, 12:00pm, ESPNU

Tyler Wilson vs Alabama, 3:30pm, CBS, Not playing - Injured

Geno Smith vs James Madison, 4:30pm, Not Televised

Tyler Bray vs Florida, 6:00pm, ESPN

Matt Barkley vs Stanford, 7:30pm, Fox

Aaron Murray vs Florida Atlanta, 7:30pm, ESPN3 (also on CSS in my area, Atlanta)

I'm not sure that Tyler Wilson is playing, as the last I heard he was injured (edit: confirmed he will NOT play). Disappointed we cant watch Geno Smith today, but we'll have to wait until next week when he plays Maryland.

Very interested in how Tyler Bray does against Florida, and how Matt Barkley does against Stanford.

Sidenote: All opinions expressed in this thread are subject to change before the draft. Heck, it's only week 3! It took me until week 7 to completely buy into Cam Newton :thumbsup:

Happy College Gameday!!

Edited by DrDareustein

Many of those quarterbacks will be available in the second round and beyond in next years draft, we need someone who is MEAN on our defense, particularly in our lb corp, in the first round lets get Jarvis jones out of Georgia, if your not convinced please watch a georgia game for me and tell me otherwise

GO BILLS

Super Bowl or Bust

Where and when to watch these kids play today:

Landry Jones - Off

EJ Manuel vs Wake Forest, 12:00pm, ESPN

Logan Thomas vs Pittsburgh, 12:00pm, ESPNU

Tyler Wilson vs Alabama, 3:30pm, CBS, Not playing - Injured

Geno Smith vs James Madison, 4:30pm, Not Televised

Tyler Bray vs Florida, 6:00pm, ESPN

Matt Barkley vs Stanford, 7:30pm, Fox

Aaron Murray vs Florida Atlanta, 7:30pm, ESPN3

I'm not sure that Tyler Wilson is playing, as the last I heard he was injured (edit: confirmed he will NOT play). Disappointed we cant watch Geno Smith today, but we'll have to wait until next week when he plays Maryland.

Very interested in how Tyler Bray does against Florida, and how Matt Barkley does against Stanford.

Sidenote: All opinions expressed in this thread are subject to change before the draft. Heck, it's only week 3! It took me until week 7 to completely buy into Cam Newton :thumbsup:

Happy College Gameday!!

Thanks for that Dr D! B-)

3 Biggest needs as of now are WR, QB and LB. I don't see us taking an LB in RD1 - LBs don't make bank in FA and you can find lots of talent in RDs 2 and below. If a Megatron WR is available with our 1st rounder, I guarantee we take him over a QB unless Fitz really fizzles out. I stated it way earlier this year before the draft and it has been reiterated above, now is a great time to look for a 1st round QB as 25+ teams have young QBs or are in the top half of the league. With so many teams with younger QBs right now, top flight WR talent will get scooped up quick; which makes it even more doubtful/expensive trade for a 1st RD WR. It is an ideal time to make a trade to move up if we have to, even if Fitz goes on and plays lights out - the kid can sit a few years like Rodgers did and learn.

Many of those quarterbacks will be available in the second round and beyond in next years draft

I seriously doubt that...Just look at last years Draft...Osweiler goes 57th Overall...The year before Ponder and Locker go Top 12...QB's FLY off the Boards, especially now that Teams don't have to pay as much when they Draft one high...The risk is less under the cap...So gambling on a QB high is MUCH easier...I'm betting, if all 8 of these Kids come out (Barkley, Wilson, Bray, Thomas, Smith, Jones, Murray, and Manuel), they will all be gone by mid-way through Day #2 of the 2013 Draft...Just my opinion...And that definitely does not mean I like all 8 either...Right now though, as of 9/15/2012, I would like Geno Smith...Even at #1 overall... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Many of those quarterbacks will be available in the second round and beyond in next years draft, we need someone who is MEAN on our defense, particularly in our lb corp, in the first round lets get Jarvis jones out of Georgia, if your not convinced please watch a georgia game for me and tell me otherwise

GO BILLS

Super Bowl or Bust

I definitely wouldnt argue against Jones. That kid man can play!

But if we have a chance to get a top tier QB, we just cant pass it up.

I definitely wouldnt argue against Jones. That kid man can play!

But if we have a chance to get a top tier QB, we just cant pass it up.

Agreed. Short of having a Rogers/Brady/Stafford, etc, if there's a top QB available, you take him. It'll be fun to see how these lists and opinions change as the season progress.

I haven't seen much of Geno Smith, so i'll have to take a look at him when i get a chance.