Looking ahead to the 2013 Draft...I know...I know...

KOKBILLS

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Geno vs. Baylor, initial impressions: He's definitely got a big-time arm, judging from the zip on his throws. Haven't seen him throw an out or a corner yet, mostly screens and stuff over the middle, but he just zipped a throw between 3 defenders for about a 15 yard completion. Seems to have good pocket presence, and mobile enough to get some yards when he runs. Definitely not an elite runner in terms of speed, but his wheels are probably comparable to Fitz's (which is to say, pretty good). And as I type this, he made a beautiful backpedalling slant throw for a TD against a full-house blitz -- looked like 7 rushing against 5 blockers. Awesome job by Geno.

The only bad throws/decisions I've really seen him make so far were 1) a poorly-thrown/too-high screen pass that was incomplete, and 2) with time running out in the pocket, he threw a 1-yard hitch to a WR with a defender draped all over him. Asking for a pick-6 with that throw, and no upside to it. Having said that, I should point out that not only was the throw completed, but the ball was delivered with such accuracy that there was no chance for the defender to get it. So a good throw, but a throw that never should've been made.

Very good :thumbsup:

But Im for trading away the entire draft (and 2014's) to get him, if need be.

If this is who he really is, then yes. That would make him a once in a century type talent that you squire at all costs. I don't ever remember seeing a college player look more polished and more elite.

i can`t believe Buddy Nix was laughing at the Skins when they gave up those 3 firsts for RGIII, Look who is laughing now Buddy.

I was hoping the Bills would of made that deal. i would of even given them 4picks.... Franchise QB`s don`t grow on trees.

It`s obvious that Chan and Buddy have no clue to what a franchise QB looks like, these are the same men that said they didn`t know what they had in Trent Edwards.

Trent Edwards, C`mon man everyone on this board knew he was garbage. Trent Checkwards, really!!!

Why don`t we just kick them tires on old Donovan McNabb, I heard he was in great shape. lol

I've been pretty consistent in my support of Buddy Nix. On the whole, I think he's done a magnificent job of turning around a team that was run into the ground, and probably was the least talented team in the NFL, despite being bad for over 10 years - that, in and of itself, would be hard for even an amateur GM like the twobillsdrive crowd to do.

Only one thing has really kept me skeptical about Nix's final legacy here - he's strengthened the lines to the point where they're both in the top 5 in the NFL. He has playmakers in our secondary, has decent players at both WR and LB, and has the best RB duo in the NFL by FAR. It's just that to this point he's whiffed terribly on QB decisions. These guys are supposed to be veteran experts, and they appear to be naive to what we see and know from very early on.

Now, as I see it, I tend to believe Nix took a much longer view of rebuilding this team than the fanbase would have wanted. When he came in here, the team was so bad for so long that the fans wanted some quick change. He knew, though, that the best way to build a franchise was via the draft, via good coached, teaching, and by keeping the developed players. IF his intention was to build a foundation for success by first fixing the lines, then adding depth, and adding QB LAST - then he's followed his blueprint to a T. I mean, if you added a franchise rookie QB next year, he'd have a great situation to fall into, and he wouldn't have to start, necessarily, and if he did, Fitz would make a great mentor and backup.

If Nix just undervalued the QB position, or thought Fitz was enough, then his management would be in question. I just think he's too experienced, and too shrewd, for that to be the case. I think he wanted to have a team in place that could take a rookie QB in and be sucessful with him (the Steelers of Rothlisberger's rookie year come to mind), rather than put a rookie into a losing situation and perhaps damage his confidence. There are, after all, only one or two - if even that - QB's a year that come out that are good enough to start no matter where they go - the Lucks, Newtons, Griffins have gone too high for Buffalo to bid on and still be able to rebuild on schedule.

But now - now we have the youth, the depth, the right talent to give up some picks, if need be, to get the guy to lead this team going forward. I absolutely agree - next year is the year the Bills move up to get the QB.

My vote would be for Geno Smith.

Big (6'3" 214), athletic QB who runs the spread offense at WVU. Last year he had a completion percentage of 65.8%. He threw for 4,385 yards, 31 TD's, and only 7 INT's. He shows excellent pocket presence, has an absolute cannon for an arm, and has pretty nice touch on his throws. At the present, he is not as polished as a guy who he has been compared to, RG-III. Although he still has another year to work on his game. He'll likely be a top 10 pick.

BTW...I don't think this is a taboo subject. The Bills DEFINITELY have to draft and develop yound talent at the QB position. I'm not one of those tards who are screaming "Fitz sucks!" after one week of football, but I am keeping very close tabs on all potential NFL QB prospects this season.

+1

I like Geno Smith too but doubt we will be in a position to draft him. Heck, he could go #1 overall. I have not watched college ball this year. Which linebackers are impressive? We could use some help at LB

True, but considering that:

1. QB is the biggest need on this team right now

2. QB is arguably the most important position in football

3. We have a pretty solid base of a team built outside of that position

Then this would be the year to make a bold move and mortgage the future in order to move up and get him.

Edited by DrDareustein