Looking ahead to the 2013 Draft...I know...I know...

KOKBILLS

Admittedly I've never been a Fitz guy...I've always felt he would make a fine Back-Up QB...A decent Starter in spots...But I don't believe he is a QB that can get you to the Playoffs...In fact I'm not even sure he can get The Bills above .500...But I certainly hope I'm wrong about that...And it is just my opinion...

So after Fitz laid his Opening Day egg, I decided to take a look into the future...The 2013 Draft...I was pleased to see that there are a lot of young QB's in College that currently carry potential 1st or 2nd day Grades (I said potential...so don't give me hell...it's still early... ;) ) should they all come out...So I figured we should get started watching these Kids (I will)...I'm pretty sure one of them is going to end up being the future at QB for The Buffalo Bills...Just have a feeling about that...

Matt Barkley - USC

Tyler Wilson - Arkansas

Logan Thomas - Va Tech

Geno Smith - West Virginia

Landry Jones - Oklahoma

Tyler Bray- Tennessee

EJ Manuel - Florida St

Aaron Murray - Georgia

Thoughts? Just on the Prospects...Not on Fitz...That horse has been beat to death the last few days... B-)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are right that one of them will likely end up being the Bills QB. Even if Fitz plays well for the rest of the year, I think this is the year Buddy drafts a quarterback to start grooming under Fitz. If Fitz sucks, well then they have to bring somebody in for obvious reasons.

The scary thing is, according to most experts, Barkley is the best QB in this class. He doesn't look very good to me on the football field for an elite QB. He certainly is no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. Also, I know he is still just a kid but he does not have the personality traits necessary for a true franchise quarterback. He is not very well spoken. He is not a natural leader.

It sucks, but the Bills are likely going to draft one of these guys. If Barkley is really the best, we're in trouble. If there is a better one from the bunch who can truly blossom, let's hope we find him. I certainly don't want a Jake Locker or a Blaine Gabbert ruining our hopes for another three years. I seriously can't take much more.

I pray to God Fitz is good this year and then we can take our time identifying our future QB and grooming him.

If Aaron Murray comes out (he's a Junior I believe), the kid is a gamer and has a nice arm. Plays SEC ball. Doesn't have that "water bug" skill set so I'm not sure Buddy Nix will like him. :doh: You're right though, a nice list of prospects. Of course it depends on what type of offense our coaches want to run...mobile QB's vs. pure passers. If we don't get the one we want (let's say we want a pure passer and he gets taken) do we draft a scrambler with a mediocre arm "just because we need a QB". Then again, if we have the first pick in the draft, we have our choice (just kidding...don't kick my a$$ on that last comment).

No looking ahead. It is !@#$ing September so many things can change.

STOP IT, WE HAVE ONLY PLAYED 1 GAME.

Exactly the type of post I expected from someone on this board!...Thanks for not letting me down... :thumbsup:

Also...No one ever tells me what to do...So when you say stop it...It's like talking to a brick wall...Because I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do around here...It's a free board...a free country...Go tell you're dog what to do...Let others do as they wish... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

My vote would be for Geno Smith.

Big (6'3" 214), athletic QB who runs the spread offense at WVU. Last year he had a completion percentage of 65.8%. He threw for 4,385 yards, 31 TD's, and only 7 INT's. He shows excellent pocket presence, has an absolute cannon for an arm, and has pretty nice touch on his throws. At the present, he is not as polished as a guy who he has been compared to, RG-III. Although he still has another year to work on his game. He'll likely be a top 10 pick.

BTW...I don't think this is a taboo subject. The Bills DEFINITELY have to draft and develop yound talent at the QB position. I'm not one of those tards who are screaming "Fitz sucks!" after one week of football, but I am keeping very close tabs on all potential NFL QB prospects this season.

Matt Barkley - USC

Tyler Wilson - Arkansas

Logan Thomas - Va Tech

Geno Smith - West Virginia

Landry Jones - Oklahoma

Tyler Bray- Tennessee

EJ Manuel - Florida St

Aaron Murray - Georgia

It's never too early to start thinking about the draft. It has nothing to do with thinking "our season is over" or any crap like that. College football is being played now, and for those of us who watch it, it's fun to have our own prospects to "scout".

I'd immediately cross off Tyler Bray and Logan Thomas. I like Aaron Murray, but dont think he'll be an elite QB that can step right in and be an upgrade over Fitz.

IMO, the real list is down to Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. I'm 50/50 on Landry Jones, as I've seen a few games where he really wowed me with throws, but I've also seen him tank it and there is the knock that he is a product of a system. I'm not completely sold on Barkley either. I've made it a goal to watch as many USC and WVU games as possible this year. Easy to do with USC as they are on almost every week. WVU is a bit tougher. Their next televised game is next weekend against Maryland on FX.

I personally think Geno Smith is the front runner, but there is a lot of season left. Smith is a 3 year starter with a great TD:INT ratio (55:14 not including what he has done this year already), and completion rates of 64.8% and 65.8% (with as many, or more attempts than Barkley, btw).

Barkley is a 4 year starter and his numbers are pretty good as well, but between being a product of USC, and just something about him I dont like, I'm not sold yet.

It will be good if Barkley stays the top prospect, and we dont have to trade up to get the 1st QB. I think it will be much easier to trade up to get the 2nd or 3rd QB, or better yet, he falls to us!

Edit: As an afterthought, I've removed Tyler Wilson from my scouting for now since he is injured, and has only been a starter for 1 year. I think NFL GMs want as much experience as possible, that is why Barkley, Smith and Jones will top the list.

Edited by DrDareustein

Exactly the type of post I expected from someone on this board!...Thanks for not letting me down... :thumbsup:

Also...No one ever tells me what to do...So when you say stop it...It's like talking to a brick wall...Because I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do around here...It's a free board...a free country...Go tell you're dog what to do...Let others do as they wish... B-)

Tell him buddy. Don't make that guy beat his dog though.

While people state there are no good NFL qb's in this draft you would have to weight each guy vs Fitz. Murray bigger arm, Thomas bigger arm much more athletic, about as innaccurate as fitz, Barkley---usc qb's are on a scary run but he looks good would have to say id be in on him. Bray-don't know about Geno Smith- sure looks pretty money. Not a fan of landry jones or tyler wilson.....

QB is a huge need with or without giving up on the season.

It's never too early to start thinking about the draft. It has nothing to do with thinking "our season is over" or any crap like that. College football is being played now, and for those of us who watch it, it's fun to have our own prospects to "scout".

I'd immediately cross off Tyler Bray and Logan Thomas. I like Aaron Murray, but dont think he'll be an elite QB that can step right in and be an upgrade over Fitz.

IMO, the real list is down to Geno Smith and Matt Barkley. I'm 50/50 on Landry Jones, as I've seen a few games where he really wowed me with throws, but I've also seen him tank it and there is the knock that he is a product of a system. I'm not completely sold on Barkley either. I've made it a goal to watch as many USC and WVU games as possible this year. Easy to do with USC as they are on almost every week. WVU is a bit tougher. Their next televised game is next weekend against Maryland on FX.

I personally think Geno Smith is the front runner, but there is a lot of season left. Smith is a 3 year starter with a great TD:INT ratio (55:14 not including what he has done this year already), and completion rates of 64.8% and 65.8% (with as many, or more attempts than Barkley, btw).

Barkley is a 4 year starter and his numbers are pretty good as well, but between being a product of USC, and just something about him I dont like, I'm not sold yet.

It will be good if Barkley stays the top prospect, and we dont have to trade up to get the 1st QB. I think it will be much easier to trade up to get the 2nd or 3rd QB, or better yet, he falls to us!

Whats your beef with Logan Thomas ? He will be a Freeman/Newton/Tannenhill/Big Ben type with age... He is inaccurate but has a cannon and can run, i like his upside

Here are some numbers I put together in my research earlier this month, just wanted to share with you guys.

Matt Barkley - QB - USC

6-2, 230lbs, Newport Beach, 4yr Snr

2009 211/352(59.9%) 2735yds 15/14

2010 236/377(62.6%) 2791yds 26/12

2011 308/446 (69.1%) 3528yds 39/7

Landry Jones - QB - Oklahoma

6-4, 218lbs, New Mexico, 4yr Snr

2009 261/449 (58.1%) 3198yds 26/14

2010 405/617 (65.6%) 4718yds 38/12

2011 355/562 (63.2%) 4463yds 29/15

Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

6-3, 214lbs, Miami, 4yr Snr

2010 241/372 (64.8%) 2763yds 24TDs 7INTs

2011 346/526 (65.8%) 4385yds 31/7

Aaron Murray - QB - Georgia

6-1, 210lbs, Tampa, 3yr Jnr

2010 209/342 (61.1%) 3049yds 24/8

2011 238/403 (59.1%) 3149yds 35/14

Tyler Wilson - QB - Arkansas

6-3, 220lbs, Arkansas, 5yr Snr

2011, 277/438(63.2) 3638yds 24/6

2012…

Tell him buddy. Don't make that guy beat his dog though.

Geno Smith- sure looks pretty money. Not a fan of landry jones or tyler wilson.....

I hear ya about the dog thing...I love my dog... ;)

And Geno Smith is the QB that is peaking my interest right now...It's early, but that Kid can look fantastic... B-)

If Aaron Murray comes out (he's a Junior I believe), the kid is a gamer and has a nice arm. Plays SEC ball. Doesn't have that "water bug" skill set so I'm not sure Buddy Nix will like him. :doh: You're right though, a nice list of prospects. Of course it depends on what type of offense our coaches want to run...mobile QB's vs. pure passers. If we don't get the one we want (let's say we want a pure passer and he gets taken) do we draft a scrambler with a mediocre arm "just because we need a QB". Then again, if we have the first pick in the draft, we have our choice (just kidding...don't kick my a$$ on that last comment).

Well whoever it is doesn't have to be a 'scrambler', but he absolutely, positively can NOT be a statue with poor pocket presence... that would be completely unacceptable, especially in this day & age of the NFL.

Whats your beef with Logan Thomas ? He will be a Freeman/Newton/Tannenhill/Big Ben type with age... He is inaccurate but has a cannon and can run, i like his upside

You answered your own question. I wouldnt just say inaccurate, Id say wildly inaccurate at times. 19 TDs and 11 INTs with only 1 year starting (so far) just doesnt impress me. Looks to be more of the same this year, but I'll keep an eye on him.

I also wouldnt compare him to Newton or Tannenhill. It's an insult to Newton, and I dont care about Tanny. Big Ben or Freeman I will give you. But that's a big maybe. Big Ben's completion rate was well above 60% in all 3 years of starting, his last year he completed 69.1% while throwing almost 500 times. And even with all of those attempts he didnt have as many INTs as Thomas.

For the record:

Big Ben

2001 241/381 (63.3%) 3105yds 21TDs 2INTs

2002 271/428 (63.3%) 3238yds 22TDs 11INTs

2003 342/495 (69.1%) 4486yds 37TDs 10INTs

Logan Thomas

2011 234/391 (59.8%) 3013yds 19TDs 10INTs

I know it's about more than just numbers, but the productivity has to be there. In what I saw from Thomas last season, and this year so far, I might consider him in the late 2nd or 3rd. But I dont want another Edwards/mid-round guy. I want THE guy.

Right on, KOK. :thumbsup:

Well whoever it is doesn't have to be a 'scrambler', but he absolutely, positively can NOT be a statue with poor pocket presence... that would be completely unacceptable, especially in this day & age of the NFL.

Totally agree...Times they are a changin' my Friend... B-)

i can`t believe Buddy Nix was laughing at the Skins when they gave up those 3 firsts for RGIII, Look who is laughing now Buddy.

I was hoping the Bills would of made that deal. i would of even given them 4picks.... Franchise QB`s don`t grow on trees.

It`s obvious that Chan and Buddy have no clue to what a franchise QB looks like, these are the same men that said they didn`t know what they had in Trent Edwards.

Trent Edwards, C`mon man everyone on this board knew he was garbage. Trent Checkwards, really!!!

Why don`t we just kick them tires on old Donovan McNabb, I heard he was in great shape. lol