BIgger Disappointment: Defense or Fitz

Boludo

Who was the bigger disappointment?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the bigger disappointment?

• Fitzpatrick
    • The Defense

On one hand, everyone knew Fitzpatrick wasn't an elite quarterback. During the offseason, however, I managed to forget he was the guy that led the entire league in interceptions last season. Looks like he is on track for back to back titles. The Bills will never go anywhere with this guy at the helm.

On the other hand, the defense was supposed to be hugely improved on paper. The highly touted defensive line got almost no pressure on Sanchez, the linebackers were invisible, and the secondary was a disaster.

The poor outing by the defense was overshadowed by Fitzpatrick's standout failure, but looking back perhaps the defense was the bigger disappointment due to the hype and letdown.

Defense--at least Fitz was trying.

Mario was dragging ass. Byrd was fried chicken. McKelvin is awful, yet Wannajob somehow missed this. Williams and Claiborne, it turns out, are likely not the best young DB duo in the league.

Uh when exactly did fitz start trying? After the first, second or third int??? It could have be a forth but the LB (i think) dropped it. None of his passes were even close the recievers who were open, he couldn't throw a rock in the sky today.

This board ceases to amaze me Its funny how many people expected fitzgarbage to be garbage but said he was a great QB all offseason giving all kinds of BS excuses to why he isn't a**. Its his fault we lost and his fault we wont make the playoffs. Not the defense or coaching its him because he is the worst QB in the league face it. When you get outplayed by Sanchez yes you are considered worst QB in the league.

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

Claiborne?

Oops! got me!

Uh when exactly did fitz start trying? After the first, second or third int??? It could have be a forth but the LB (i think) dropped it.

This board ceases to amaze me Its funny how many people expected fitzgarbage to be garbage but said he was great all offseason. Giving all kinds of BS excuse to why he is a**. Its his fault we lost and his fault we wont make the playoffs. Not the defense or coaching its him because he is the worst QB in the league face it...

Huh? Is there a translation for this?

On one hand, everyone knew Fitzpatrick wasn't an elite quarterback. During the offseason, however, I managed to forget he was the guy that led the entire league in interceptions last season. Looks like he is on track for back to back titles. The Bills will never go anywhere with this guy at the helm.

On the other hand, the defense was supposed to be hugely improved on paper. The highly touted defensive line got almost no pressure on Sanchez, the linebackers were invisible, and the secondary was a disaster.

The poor outing by the defense was overshadowed by Fitzpatrick's standout failure, but looking back perhaps the defense was the bigger disappointment due to the hype and letdown.

Fitz struggling and turning the ball over is not a big surprise. He did lead the league in interceptions last year. The defense however...from the lack of pressure, horrible defense scheme on part of the coordinator...yeah I'm dissapointed.

You can make the argument the defense hasnt had time to gel its there first real game together also having to start on your own 40 twice and the 50 once makes life harder... And who helped the other team by giving them get that great field position? You guessed it Ryan Fitzgarbage, so its not the defense its the sh**ty QB we have.

Gotta be Fitz. The defense has alot of new parts, and not making excuses because they sucked at least in pass coverage, but Fitz for the most part in the same offense with the same guys as last year. The protection was pretty good he just made terrible decisions and even worse throws all day long. He has continued his downward spiral from the day after he signed his contract extension last year, the rib excuse aside, he is getting worse. They hired a new QB coach to help him, but the guy is supposed to be one of the smartest guys in the NFL but he makes some of the dumbest decisions. I guess playing quarterback is different then sitting at a desk and taking a written test. I like Fitz as a person, and love the effort he gives forth, but this front office and coaching staff's insistence on keeping Fitz at QB will ultimately cost them all their jobs. And as far as the defense, yea they gave up some plays, but the total yardage was close, and who put them in bad field position over and over-Fitz did. They got 21 points directly off of his picks and gave up a return for a TD, that was enough to beat the Bills already. Edited by BuffBill

If you're stunned that Fitz was inaccurate and late with his throws you haven't been watching the Bills much. Sometimes you get lucky and he looks really sharp, but it's been a while since we saw that - he's generally looked like a backup since mid 2011.

The defensive line - an all pro addition in Mario, a Pro Bowler in Anderson, Dareus with 1 more year's experience and help from linemates and the return of a healthy Kyle Williams coming up with a grand total of 3 tackles, 1 assist, 1 pressure and ZERO sacks against an o-line featuring a guy making his 2nd NFL start - that's shocking, in a soyilent green is people kind of way....

[

Fitz struggling and turning the ball over is not a big surprise. He did lead the league in interceptions last year. The defense however...from the lack of pressure, horrible defense scheme on part of the coordinator...yeah I'm dissapointed.

So because he led the league in interceptions last year it is alright for him to suck this year because we expect it? Really? Edited by BuffBill

Just imagine if Vince Young had made the team.... the clamoring for him would be to a boiling point.

With that said, the Defense disappointed me the most. They were as porous in the secondary and weak at pressuring the pocket as they ever were last year. The run D was a bit better though.

Both were huge disappointments, but the defense was !@#$ing gash. As much as Fitz sucked, if the D could have held anything we might have had a game. Fitz was garbage today, but lots of QBs have bad games & no one came into today thinking he was the second coming of Brett Favre, but our vaunted defense bent over for a mediocre offense and took it like the prom queen of cell block 4.

It's kind of a trick quick because I can't really be disappointed in Fitz since I've been saying all along how bad he is, and even in preseason got out played by young and thigpen. So he was who I thought he was: someone who has no business starting NFL QB. Given that answer has to be defense. But the catch is the defense has talent and I expect them to get better as they adjust yo all the new faces, scheme and coach. Fitz on the other hand has no where to go

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I expected Fitz to be somewhere between decent and mediocre. I expected the defense to be strong, especially against the pass. Both the defense and Fitz played like chopped liver. For me, the defense was the bigger disappointment.

On the brightside, just statistically speaking, he should throw fewer INTs most games.

Defense all the way. Bills didn't punt until the 4th quarter. time after time they forced a 3rd down and then gave it up big.

Fitz made 3 mistakes. He stunk up the place with those 3 mistakes. I'm sure he'd like this game back.

Spiller made 1 mistake. Other than that, Fitz had time, and the Bills moved the ball when they kept it.

The Defense just looked like one great big giant mistake. Shep was invisible, the pass coverage was so loose it looked like it needed antidiarrheal medication, and the pressure from the front 4 was not impressive. Other than that, the Jets moved the ball, and they kept it.

I love Fitz but he ain't got what it takes. Which we already knew. The saddest part of the day was seeing what we thought were our two biggest defenseive strengths--the new d-line and our up and coming secondary--play like crap. Super Mario can't manhandle a stiff like Austin Howard and the Jets WRs, who are potentially as weak as ours, looked like studs. Good thing we had John Potter kicking--great use of a roster spot. What a game changer!!! Remember Stevie was a 7th round pick!

Fitz...... After hearing about the broken ribs this spring I got sucked into billieving that Fitz still could turn-out to be a good QB, not great but good (i.e. no INTs like the ugly ones today ever). Well, it's time to tear it down, he's never going to make it to good.... So it's sad for me.... I still billieve the D can be fixed. I have no idea why though..... How could they be that bad? We had four good defenders last year in Dareus, Barnett, george and Jarius. We add Kyle, Super Mario, mr. Anderson, and stephon gilmore. We have five rookie defenders from 2011 heading into their second year. Mix it all up, play one of the worst offenses from 2011 with a very shaky QB and get this?

This is either one of the worst cases of coaching, drafting or coaching and drafting - ever....

Same old ****ty Bills. So much for the high expectations. Chan should have taken the preseason more seriously and got the starters more reps against opponents second string for confidence. They need every rep they can get at this point. Its absolutely pathetic all around. The Jets own us.

Offensively I blame Chan/Fitz. He's just as bad as Tebow throwing the ball. Has no deep ball whatsoever. The damn spread offense with its timing routes will never ever ever work with Fitz because he is too inaccurate. Gailey sucks and can't run a real NFL offense or adapt. And with our receiving core its an absolute joke to be in a spread. I would understand running it if you had Haywood Jeffries, Ernest Givins, Curtis Duncan, Drew Hill and Lorenzo White with a mobile, accurate QB like WM. When it gets cold, rainy, windy, snowy our receivers will most likely drop the ball or already be injured. Welcome to Buffalo. Get your asses under center and run run run with some playaction Chan you moron. So sick of seeing the shotgun and pistol every play. It will never work with the current roster, qb and receivers mostly. Spiller was the only bright spot I saw. Resign Vince Young, get Tavaris ready, do something to prepare and have a backup plan. Fitz is not the guy(VY wins games bottom line, 30+ Ws or around there, 17 losses, as a starter I'll take that Qb anyday). Tavaris would take much better care of the ball then Fitz.

Defensively I blame Wannastache. He sucked when he was the head coach of Miami, and Chicago and guess what? He's still a crappy/losing coach and always will be. We tried to play the bend but don't break D but instead we played bend and break D. Great!! It seemed our philosophy was get pressure with 4 Dline men and for the secondary and Lbs to have solid coverage but that didn't work. Their gameplan was to have Sanchez get the ball out fast and take our D line outta the picture and play conservatiave. Wannastache had no answer or adjustments. They marched our D all around the field. No one made and plays. Leodis is still the same old bust 1st round pick. He's always tight in coverage but never turns his head around in time to find the ball. He was god awful, you think he would learn. Jermey Kearly, really man?!?! And of course its not a Bills game without there tightend(back-up) beating our LBs.

Bruce DeHaven is garbage.

Nix put together a decent roster on paper. That's all it is though until our coaches do something. Totally unprepared to play a NFL game and it showed. 0-4 in the preaseason was taken way too lightly. Hit the panic button, we are a crap team.

And now the Bills want NY taxpayer funding for upgrades to the stadium. With all the money NFL makes you think they could front the cost. They can leave for all I care at this point. They have made me numb over the last 10 years+. Atleast our taxes would go down. Seriuosly how can people support garbage for this long of a time. Get real people with your high expectations. No wonder forbes ranked Buffalo in the bottom. We deserve it so

Go ahead and bash me. I welcome it. Actually, I'll enjoy it.

Fitz sucking is about as surprising as the Sun rising in the East, so it has to be the defense. Apparently Wannstadt thought the front four was so great he didn't put in any plays to apply pressure to the QB. The whole thing is just a clusterfluck, with apologies to all clusterflucks out there.

Why didn't we blitz??? Where were the SACKS,the pressures???Our Corners have arms,don't they?

I'm shocked more people aren't questioning our lack of blitzing.

We literally sent 4 guys on almost every defensive play. In fact, I don't think we've blitzed in about 5-6 years. I don't know if I can sit and watch this "bend but don't break" crap one more week. It's very frustrating.

You can gush all you want about how fabulous our front 4 is, but when you're sending them against 5-6 guys every down, well you don't have to be a math major to figure it out.

You pressure QB's like Sanchez, or so I learned in pee-wee football...