Darrelle Revis laughs off notion that Stevie Johnson has his number

uncle flap

Bills' wideout Stevie Johnson, first up for Revis on Sunday, has enjoyed the most success against the Jets' All-Pro cornerback. The perception that Johnson, who averaged a relatively modest 79.5 yards in two Buffalo losses last season, somehow owns Revis is enough to make the centerpiece of Gang Green's defense chuckle.

"That's the position I'm in," Revis told the Daily News. "The success that I've had is the reason why maybe people criticize me a different way. You just roll with the punches. I'm not panicking over nothing. I know how to play ball. I play great ball. I'm not panicking because a guy got 70 yards."

More here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/darrelle-revis-laughs-notion-stevie-johnson-ll-line-week-1-ny-jets-cornerback-number-article-1.1150069

Some Bulletin Board Material?

IMO, not really, but the fact that Revis and Ryan are saying anything about it means it's on their mind.

I'll grant that SJ does't necessarily "own" Revis, but he certainly fares much better against him than other top wideouts.

I believe in letting one's on-field play do the talking, but it would be kind of interesting if SJ shot back with a dig. Anyone think he might?

I don't think Revis said anything insulting or controversial. Even if he was a big trash talker, unlike most guys in the league he'd actually be able to back it up.

I hate the Jets but Revis is a flat-out stud. I hope Stevie continues his successs against Revis, but I'm sure Stevie is more worried about the matchup than Revis is. The numbers are a testament to SJ's skill, but we need to remember that Rex puts Revis on an island all game. So giving up 70 yards to a player while covering him one-on-one isn't exactly "having his number".

More here: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1150069

IMO, not really, but the fact that Revis and Ryan are saying anything about it means it's on their mind.

I'll grant that SJ does't necessarily "own" Revis, but he certainly fares much better against him than other top wideouts.

I believe in letting one's on-field play do the talking, but it would be kind of interesting if SJ shot back with a dig. Anyone think he might?

Id rather he shoot back with a few TDs

Stevie talked about being more mature this season. Speaking on the field is the mature way to handle it.

That's a classic example of downstate football reporting "a modest 79.5 yards average"

That would put you at 1272 yards receiving for the season. Only 8 receivers in the NFL topped that mark last year.

Then again, not many people from Jersey understand the word modest........

Revis is a damn good corner, which is one reason I think so highly of SJ. But having said that, SJ really loves to talk too much. I wish he would only let his play talk for him now he got all the press that helped get him that contract. That being said I hope we run and pass right at Revis again, it worked when we did it last year. Target the best player.

More here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/darrelle-revis-laughs-notion-stevie-johnson-ll-line-week-1-ny-jets-cornerback-number-article-1.1150069

I don't think Revis is going to come out and say any receiver owns him.

Revis didn't say anything inflammatory but he was still unnecessarily defensive. He should have thrown a few innocuous compliments Stevie's way and moved on. That's the difference between the Jets and the Patriots. Well, that and success.

Edited by Punch

The fact that Revis and Ryan are saying anything about means a reporter asked them a question about it and they answered. The story starts with Revis sitting at his locker. He didn't call a press conference to talk about Stevie Johnson. His team is playing the Bills this weekend and his city's newspaper reporter that covers the team obviously asked him if Stevie has his number, and Revis responded.

Im sure Stevies ready for the competition, but im sure he know better than to throw fuel on the fire of one of the top corners in the game.

Bills' wideout Stevie Johnson, first up for Revis on Sunday, has enjoyed the most success against the Jets' All-Pro cornerback. The perception that Johnson, who averaged a relatively modest 79.5 yards in two Buffalo losses last season, somehow owns Revis is enough to make the centerpiece of Gang Green's defense chuckle.

Can these people do basic math? That "modest" total would sum to 88 catches for 1272 yds over a 16 game season, which would have put SJ #6 in the league behind Gronk for # catches and #9 in the league just ahead of Jordy Nelson for # catches in 2011. Some "modest" day.

I hope Stevie keeps his mouth shut and lets his play do his talking. Well that, plus catch a few balls that hit his hands next time.

Edited by Hopeful

Can these people do basic math? That "modest" total would sum to 88 catches for 1272 yds over a 16 game season, which would have put SJ #6 in the league behind Gronk for # catches and #9 in the league just ahead of Jordy Nelson for # catches in 2011. Some "modest" day.

I hope Stevie keeps his mouth shut and lets his play do his talking. Well that, plus catch a few balls that hit his hands next time.

I guess that leaves the question... Why doesn't Stevie do better the other 14 weeks, if he plays revis better than his own averages.

The fact that Revis and Ryan are saying anything about means a reporter asked them a question about it and they answered

I get that- but the below-quoted approach is one route, and what Revis (and Rex Ryan and Bart Scott) said is another route. I don't think they overtly slighted SJ either. They gave him respect but in the same breath basically said he's no big deal. I detect some passive-aggressiveness in their comments, and again, since they had so much to say about it, I couldn't help but think, "The lady doth protest too much."

Revis didn't say anything inflammatory but he was still unnecessarily defensive. He should have thrown a few innocuous compliments Stevie's way and moved on. That's the difference between the Jets and the Patriots. Well, that and success.

I guess that leaves the question... Why doesn't Stevie do better the other 14 weeks, if he plays revis better than his own averages.

Great question, NoSaint. Other teams do double Stevie, and it's a little harder for him to do his thang

I think the answer is simpler than that, though. Fitz flat out sucked for 3 games last year, and SJ was benched for 1/2 a game in NE. If you leave those games out, and adjust to a 16 game season, Stevie would have 85-88 catches for 1147-1163 yds (depending on whether the 1st Jets game is included or not). So he actually plays Revis pretty much right at his own average, when Fitz is 'Fitz not Fritz'

Edited by Hopeful

Great question, NoSaint. Other teams do double Stevie, and it's a little harder for him to do his thang

I think the answer is simpler than that, though. Fitz flat out sucked for 3 games last year, and SJ was benched for 1/2 a game in NE. If you leave those games out, and adjust to a 16 game season, Stevie would have 85-88 catches for 1147-1163 yds (depending on whether the 1st Jets game is included or not). So he actually plays Revis pretty much right at his own average, when Fitz is 'Fitz not Fritz'

Even with adjustments, he's better against revis than the field.

Part id imagine is a small sample size, in addition to all you mentioned. Fact is, he might have simply gotten a lucky break or two at its simplest.

Should be a fun battle to watch the next few seasons. Right now both guys have played very well.

Revis comments are generally correct he's held to a different standard. But had SJ not dropled that pass in game 2 now we're talking 2 TDs and over 100 yards. That would be owned versus anyone.

I remember the drop. I also remember Fitz missing SJ on a pass that would've racked up more yards.

*Has anyone sent this article to SJ's twitter?

...Revis looks.at.Sj as a day off...

I don't think so. He'd be a fool if he did. The fact that he rounds 79.5 to "70" yards proves it bothers him.

Regardless, I agree with ChasBB's comment that the final score will mean a whole hell of a lot more than any Revis vs. SJ stats.

I've said since last year. Revis looks.at.Sj as a day off but.Sj treats revis like a super bowl and plays his A GAME. I think.revis.is.gonna shut Sj down big time this year. Sorry but its my prediction..

I doubt it. When you see the film, Revis doesn't look like he's taking anything off. Stevie's got the moves down. He can fake anyone out, Revis included. He's among the best in the league for that.

What keeps Stevie from being top 5 is mostly between his ears under his helmet: 1) mistakes on route running, not being where his QB expects him to be 2) mental lapses - dropping some "money balls" that hit him right in the hands 3) still developing his ability to haul in that circus catch - I saw a few this preseason, though! 4) injured last season, not able to rack up the YAC.

Revis is the best I've ever seen. Without him, the Jet's D is nothing special. With him they are top-flight.

Wow. You need to re-watch about 30 years of football then.

Revis is very good, but he's no where close to the best ever. Deion Sanders (couldnt stand him), Mel Blount, Dick Lane, Rod Woodson, Darell Green - all better.

I've said since last year. Revis looks.at.Sj as a day off but.Sj treats revis like a super bowl and plays his A GAME. I think.revis.is.gonna shut Sj down big time this year. Sorry but its my prediction..

Why do you write like a 10 year old?

Edited by LiterateStylish

Wow. You need to re-watch about 30 years of football then.

Revis is very good, but he's no where close to the best ever. Deion Sanders (couldnt stand him), Mel Blount, Dick Lane, Rod Woodson, Darell Green - all better.

Sanders was the best cover guy I ever saw, but Revis is almost his equal and better against the run.

I will re-watch every game ever played, though, just to be sure.

Worst post of 2012 here ??? Watch Stevie run routes his footwork is immaculate especially on shorter routes. A day off for a WR who gets 1000 yards back to back years ? Revis is good but he does hold and mug a lot and the refs do give him a lil more leeway.

I can understand putting Brady on a pedestal but not revis....come on man

I will combine the two best replies....now put those numbers into a WIN and you actually have something. Personally I could care less if he averaged 150 YPG against Revis, if it does not mean a WIN then who cares.

Football is so much more than what the stats show at the end of the day. Does it say anything about Revis possibly cutting off a slant, or a fly pattern? Does it say that he may have taken the inside away or forced a 5 yard hook vs. a 9 yard hook? You know that these are the little things that a lot of fans don't see or don't realize when watching a game. I am not saying that this is/was the case as I have not watched the games closely enough. I am simply saying that if Buffalo had a "major dose" of Stevie game planned and he did his thing for 80 YPG was that what they were truly expecting to get out of him? If so, great, then next time WIN the game to make this more of a relevant stat. Without the WIN, to me, it means nothing.

I still love the fact that despite the Jets' insistence Stevie doesn't have Revis' "number" his stats extrapolate to 88/1272/8 over the course of a season based upon what he did vs. Revis last year (when "everyone" knew the Bills had to get the ball to Johnson).

NYC is going to blow up next Sunday afternoon, watching the Jets crumble. Never a more overrated team in the history of the NFL.

I doubt it. When you see the film, Revis doesn't look like he's taking anything off. Stevie's got the moves down. He can fake anyone out, Revis included. He's among the best in the league for that.

What keeps Stevie from being top 5 is mostly between his ears under his helmet: 1) mistakes on route running, not being where his QB expects him to be 2) mental lapses - dropping some "money balls" that hit him right in the hands 3) still developing his ability to haul in that circus catch - I saw a few this preseason, though! 4) injured last season, not able to rack up the YAC.

Sanders was the best cover guy I ever saw, but Revis is almost his equal and better against the run.

I will re-watch every game ever played, though, just to be sure.

Worst post of 2012 here ??? Watch Stevie run routes his footwork is immaculate especially on shorter routes. A day off for a WR who gets 1000 yards back to back years ? Revis is good but he does hold and mug a lot and the refs do give him a lil more leeway.

I can understand putting Brady on a pedestal but not revis....come on man

the footwork and the mistakes on route running are part of the reason why stevie getbthose numbers against revis,while the rest of wr´s he plays run routes again and again the same way stevie is very irregular onroute running (something that Fitz and stevie have them in the same page)

about Sanders-Revis: the tackling of Sanders was very decent in atlanta but then he became a diva(wich still)

Revis is good but he does hold and mug a lot and the refs do give him a lil more leeway.

I actually was going to make a comment along these lines in one of my responses and got sidetracked. The replacement refs are not much on calling PI. If Stevie gets shut down, it won't be because Revis has stepped up his game or Stevie hasn't brought his A game. It will be because the scab refs are allowing all sorts of hugging and mugging.

I have a prediction too. It's that someday, you'll begin to have a basic understanding of how punctuation works. You probably still won't even have the slightest clue about how football is played, but your sentences might be a little more coherent.

Edited by biglukes