Gailey's talent assessment???

In defense to Gailey, I think it was Nix's call to move to a 3-4. It's conceivable that Nix and Whaley's experience running the 3-4 defensively that led to the decision. And it being Gailey's first HC job since 1999, he probably didn't have room to argue.

As for the talent evaluation, I think this team is making more mistakes re: starters versus backups than many want to admit.

It would usually be the coaches call as to who he wants as his coordinator, and it was Gailey who worked with Edwards on the Dolphins staff that likely led to the decision to go to the 3-4. I'm sure that Nix was entirely on board, however. And it could easily have been Nix's suggestion that they switch to the 3-4, which led to Gailey's selection of Edwards as the DC. But usually coaches pick their staffs.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he would have stuck with Edwards and Lynch I would be more worried. The best way to evaluate talent is to put them into regular season games. Fortunately Gailey realized they were not the answer and moved in a different direction. As far as Merriman is concerned, they took a chance and it did not pan out.

It would usually be the coaches call as to who he wants as his coordinator, and it was Gailey who worked with Edwards on the Dolphins staff that likely led to the decision to go to the 3-4. I'm sure that Nix was entirely on board, however. And it could easily have been Nix's suggestion that they switch to the 3-4, which led to Gailey's selection of Edwards as the DC. But usually coaches pick their staffs.

I disagree. Nix was the more adamant of the two that Buffalo switch to a 30 front. Gailey's no slouch and knew they needed an infusion of talent all over the field. Why would a team with 40 front personnel, albeit the DJ version, radically change their scheme at the beginning of a major rebuild? Even noted 3-4 disciple Bill Parcells moved to it over the course of 3 years, not attempting to do it in one off-season.

Furthermore, Gailey has predominantly used 40 front defenses during his time as a HC, and his comments after his hiring indicate that to me:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/20/transition-to-3-4-defense-would-be-tough-for-bills/

In a nutshell:

W L Playoffs Avg,

10 22 0 .313

NFL = Not For Long -- if you are not getting it done (yeah that means you CHINX)

Another 3 yrs and out ride on the coaching carousel?

I disagree. Nix was the more adamant of the two that Buffalo switch to a 30 front. Gailey's no slouch and knew they needed an infusion of talent all over the field. Why would a team with 40 front personnel, albeit the DJ version, radically change their scheme at the beginning of a major rebuild? Even noted 3-4 disciple Bill Parcells moved to it over the course of 3 years, not attempting to do it in one off-season.

Furthermore, Gailey has predominantly used 40 front defenses during his time as a HC, and his comments after his hiring indicate that to me:

http://profootballta...ough-for-bills/

Gailey hired him.

Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey has been filling his coaching staff with college and pro assistants but he dipped into the college ranks to find a defensive coordinator with NFL experience.

Gailey has hired George Edwards as the Bills defensive coordinator. Edwards replaced Charlie Strong as the defensive coordinator at Florida on Jan. 10. He comes to the Bills, though, with more than a decade of NFL experience.

Edwards coached the defensive line for the Dallas Cowboys in 1997 before moving to the Washington Redskins from 1998-2002 to coach the same position. He was the Cleveland Browns' defensive coordinator in 2003. He coached linebackers for the Miami Dolphins in 2004 before accepting the linebacker job at Florida from 2005-09.

"We are very excited that George Edwards has joined our staff as defensive coordinator," Gailey said in a statement. "He brings a wealth of experience, not only as a motivator and communicator, but he has been involved with some great schemes and we are excited about him being the head of our defense."

With Florida head coach Urban Meyer beginning a leave of absence, team spokesman Steve McClain said interim coach Steve Addazio will coordinate replacing Edwards.

Florida could promote Chuck Heater, who was named the team's co-defensive coordinator when Edwards was hired last month.

Although Edwards had been at Florida for four weeks, he wasn't very involved in the team's recruiting efforts that brought in three of the top defensive linemen in the country.

Edwards also spent seven years coaching at the college level, including stops at Georgia, Duke, Appalachian State and Florida. He coached current Bills defensive tackle Marcus Stroud at Georgia in 1997.

"I feel like this is a great opportunity for me to come in and have a chance to work with Coach Gailey again and the staff that he has been able to put together," Edwards said in a statement. "I am excited to have the opportunity to come to Buffalo and look forward to getting started as quickly as possible. This is a team that has played good defense in the past and I am excited to continue on with that tradition."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4887094

He started Trent over Fitz(I know he looks great in practice), Spiller and Lynch over Jackson, allowed Kelsay and Johnson to play OLB, Moats was moved to ILB, played Levitre at center, kept Batten on an NFL roster, has now moved Carrington from DE to OLB to DT, and thought Merriman could play a 4-3 DE.

Looks like he was right about Evans, correctly moved Wood to center, and will likely be right about Maybin.

I like Gailey as a play caller but not sold on his HC responsibilites for managing the entire roster.

Your thoughts...

Let's re-phrase - he replaced Trent with Fitz, he replaced Jackson with Lynch, we didn't have any LBs better than Kelsey and Johnson, he tried Levitre at Center and cut Merriman when he could not play the 4-3. Feel better?

Yes, people are actually suggesting that. But why does that surprise you? Never mind that half the roster has been turned over, it's obvious after two full seasons they don't know what they're doing. The real crime is that those who DO, are stuck here offering their advice for free when Ralph and Co. (or ANY NFL team for that matter) would gladly pay then millions for their talents.

GO BILLS!!!

The biggest problem is that people don't see that jauron's team was a wheel-spinning 7 win squad. He built that squad to not lose more than 9 games, but there's no way it was going to win more than 9 either. Anyone complaining that Gailey made the team worse needs to explain how the team was going to improve under dickie J. As for Gailey, he did what should have been done in 2006...tear it down and build it properly. Sometimes, that process is painful, and it requires you to take a step or 2 back before you move forward. The shortsighted among us simply cannot see this.

http://profootballta...ough-for-bills/

If you're going to radically switch defenses, during a massive rebuild would be the best time, no? Or are you implying we should wait until we are on the cusp of the playoffs to switch defenses? The problem wasn't the timing of the switch, it's that they didn't do it whole-heartedly.

Hey gailey made an effort to try and Keep Fewell as DC instead of changing him this transition wouldnt have taken this long. The Bills defense in 2009 was not all that bad....they were actually a pretty decent bunch.

Looking back at games the defense kept the team in it but they had been on the field so much they got tired. In all the games except two of the losses they led, tied, or within one possesion score and had the ball in the fourth quarter.

Had they had a better offense they would have had a respectable record.

Gaileys mistake was switching to a 3-4...that takes time to change such a scheme. Had he kept the defense for a year and just focused on the offense 2010 would have been a much better year.

The biggest problem is that people don't see that jauron's team was a wheel-spinning 7 win squad. He built that squad to not lose more than 9 games, but there's no way it was going to win more than 9 either. Anyone complaining that Gailey made the team worse needs to explain how the team was going to improve under dickie J. As for Gailey, he did what should have been done in 2006...tear it down and build it properly. Sometimes, that process is painful, and it requires you to take a step or 2 back before you move forward. The shortsighted among us simply cannot see this. ...

Very well stated. You can actually be making progress and lose a few more games in the process.

GO BILLS!!!

3 million dollars.

So Ralph 'is cheap' Wilson didn't cut a player for monetary reasons and now this is a problem? That they spent 3 million to see if he could improve the team and we're bitching about that now. Some people just want to B word.

He started Trent over Fitz(I know he looks great in practice), Spiller and Lynch over Jackson, allowed Kelsay and Johnson to play OLB, Moats was moved to ILB, played Levitre at center, kept Batten on an NFL roster, has now moved Carrington from DE to OLB to DT, and thought Merriman could play a 4-3 DE.

Looks like he was right about Evans, correctly moved Wood to center, and will likely be right about Maybin.

I like Gailey as a play caller but not sold on his HC responsibilites for managing the entire roster.

Your thoughts...

I think luck, or at least circumstances, played into a switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt. How many times did we complain here that the coach needs to fit the scheme to the players not the other way around?

Case in point...the Bills pick 3rd in the 2011 draft. They need D help. it becomes clear that we will either get Van Miller, an LB, or Dareus, a DT after the Panthers pick Newton. Once you have both these guys (Williams and Dareus), who do you sit in a 3-4? Dareus is quick but apparently he's really not a DE. If we had gotten the LB, would we still be working a 3-4?

Then you look at free agency. You have these two stud tackles and you know two stud DEs are available in FA. Also, Wannstedt happens to be looking for a job in 2011 and he's a 4-3 guy. So you go with what falls to you. Even in fantasy leagues you can't just get whomever you want.

Edited by TDO'Kearney

3 million dollars.

That money that they were paying Merriman didn't prohibit them from making any other moves. They took a chance, it didn't work out. At least they took a swing. I can't fault them for that. Especially with the position they were in when they picked him up.

Edited by biglukes

In defense to Nix, when you take over a team that needs new starters at roughly 18 out of 22 positions, you're probably not going to immediately hit on all of them.

yet - how is it that magic Dick was able to win 7 games each year with all of non-talent that Chan/Bix absolutely had to turnover

Um...if memory serves me correctly, when did he start Spiller over Jackson? Spiller got the start in the opening week or two of his rookie season because A) He lit it up in preseason and led the NFL in rushing in just 3 preseason games and B) FJ was hurt during preseason as well as Lynch being suspended.

And as much as I dislike Trent as a QB, he was the better QB in camp and preseason the year he won the job over Fitz and Brohm.

With Merriman, he didn't switch to a 4-3 to accomdate Merriman, so your statement "thought he could play 4-3 DE" makes no sense. This TEAM switched to a 4-3 and then they tried to find Merriman a role in it and hoped he could do it at DE. Then he couldn't, so they cut him before the season began. So, not sure how you can say "they thought he could play it" as if we signed Merriman this offseason to play in our 4-3. He was already ON the roster when we made the switch.

And the other moves were out of NEED, or even desperation, because of the personnel we had and the system we ran. Hence the reason we switched back to a 4-3 as this team is better run as a 4-3 given the personnel and the way they want to build this defense. We had no depth, a plethora of injuries, and we had to work with what we had.

So, I don't think any of your points really hold water here...

The bigger problem regarding Spiller was not getting him enough playing time...And not getting him into open space for such a long time.

There are plenty of problems I and many others have with Gailey. Not at all convinced he is a good head coach. Not even convinced he is anything better than a decent O coordinator.