Gailey's talent assessment???

Nonsense. There are all kinds of players that play extremely well in practice and preseason games because the game is not as fast, the competition is not as intense (because the players cannot go 100% full contact in game like conditions) and because there is no real pressure on them to perform. No coach can see through that until the actual games are played, and while it is impossible to know, I would bet anything every coach in the NFL would swear that is true. I have never seen a coach say anything to refute that.

Trent was excellent by all accounts in both practice and the preseason games, and he had a history of it with the Bills. His problems came ONLY when there was a fierce pass rush in real regular season games when his brain was not able to function as strong, he didn't read the defenses or rush well, he panicked easily into dumping the ball off, and his confidence to make a play downfield greatly diminished. He never showed that in practice and I don't recall ever seeing that in preseason either.

In the Spiller case, if you recall, both Freddy and Lynch were hurt in training camp, forcing Gailey to play Spiller immediatelt, and he looked great in preseason. He immediately saw the difference when the real bullets were flying and he pulled him, mostly for the fact that he couldn't pass block.

I did say FILM and preseason. Gailey had more then enough film on both Edwards and Green to know they both sucked. This isn't rocket science, its can... they ....play!

Man you guys sure can defend a HC you happen to like! But as one poster put it, hapless Dick Jauron did better ....even with inferior QB's.

I'm pulling for Gailey to even field a winning team, so far its not looking good.

Edited by Fear the Beard

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how he is on talent but I'm still waiting for him to have a better season than Dick Jauron.

I agree. It troubles me that in two years the Bills have had losing streaks of 8 and 7 games and Gailey could find nothing either time to stop the slide. Coaches need to make adjustments when things aren't working and so far, I haven't seen that from Gailey. Hoping for a better year this year, but I am cautiously optimistic.

I did say FILM and preseason. Gailey had more then enough film on both Edwards and Green to know they both sucked. This isn't rocket science, its can... they ....play!

Man you guys sure can defend a HC you happen to like! But as one poster put it, hapless Dick Jauron did better with inferior QB's.

I'm pulling for Gailey to even field a winning team, so far its not looking good.

This isn't about defending Gailey at all. It's about trying to offer insight so that you might be better informed of the process. You choose not to be. Good luck with that.

GO BILLS!!!

I think this post is pretty spot on. What should they have done? Cut Merriman instantly? That serves no benefit.

They knew everything there was to know about Merriman before camp began. They should have known that he wasn't good for the 4-3. Why pay him 3 million and then cut him? Why not just cut him after last season? Did they think they would see something totally new from him that would convince them he was a 4-3 DE? Did they just figure this out after a few "it's just preseason" (right?) games?

I agree. It troubles me that in two years the Bills have had losing streaks of 8 and 7 games and Gailey could find nothing either time to stop the slide. Coaches need to make adjustments when things aren't working and so far, I haven't seen that from Gailey. Hoping for a better year this year, but I am cautiously optimistic.

I think this is a fair point. He's had losing streaks to start and end a season. I hope this isn't the year to have one in the middle of the season.

GO BILLS!!!

Man you guys sure can defend a HC you happen to like! But as one poster put it, hapless Dick Jauron did better with inferior QB's.

You're neglecting to recognize the same single thought that any and all coaches have: "That's how he played before, but let's see what I can do with him".

Cutting Trent upon arriving would have been a huge mistake, given the "Offensive Geniuses" he had as coordinators and coaches under the Jauron regime.

The new guys werent going to turn this team around in the first year anyways. Better to take that year slow and see what you have in order to get a clearer plan for building towards the future.

And Dick Jauron did NOT do better with the QBs. Our QBs, and offense in general, were HORRIBLE. It was his vanilla bend-but-dont-break defense that held final scores to 13-10, 9-6, etc that kept us in games. Unfortunately, our pitiful offense being commanded by pitiful QBs kept us out of them.

Fitz's game against the Bengals (under Gailey) was our first 300 yard passer performance since Jim Kelly. So no, Jauron did NOT do more with less.

They knew everything there was to know about Merriman before camp began. They should have known that he wasn't good for the 4-3. Why pay him 3 million and then cut him? Why not just cut him after last season? Did they think they would see something totally new from him that would convince them he was a 4-3 DE? Did they just figure this out after a few "it's just preseason" (right?) games?

That is simply not true.

GO BILLS!!!

The way this went down makes it pretty clear the Bills didn't release Merriman simply because they "just discovered" he doesn't fit the 4-3. Come on, you're smarter than that. The statements about "allowing Merriman an opportunity to catch on with a 3-4 team" are a show of respect and allow Merriman to save face. Merriman himself repeatedly said 3-4 or 4-3 didn't matter and he could play with his "hand in the dirt."

Coming into camp the Bills most certainly did not know whether Merriman would have his explosion back. Now they see he doesn't, and they're making the move so the other guys get more reps (and so Merriman can shop his wares).

Any Bills fan should be happy the decision is not about $$, but performance. We had a similar dispute about Buddy's comments regarding Carrington and Troup, but I view this as the latest example of a GM who is not afraid to admit his mistakes and move on.

Um...if memory serves me correctly, when did he start Spiller over Jackson? Spiller got the start in the opening week or two of his rookie season because A) He lit it up in preseason and led the NFL in rushing in just 3 preseason games and B) FJ was hurt during preseason as well as Lynch being suspended.

And as much as I dislike Trent as a QB, he was the better QB in camp and preseason the year he won the job over Fitz and Brohm.

With Merriman, he didn't switch to a 4-3 to accomdate Merriman, so your statement "thought he could play 4-3 DE" makes no sense. This TEAM switched to a 4-3 and then they tried to find Merriman a role in it and hoped he could do it at DE. Then he couldn't, so they cut him before the season began. So, not sure how you can say "they thought he could play it" as if we signed Merriman this offseason to play in our 4-3. He was already ON the roster when we made the switch.

And the other moves were out of NEED, or even desperation, because of the personnel we had and the system we ran. Hence the reason we switched back to a 4-3 as this team is better run as a 4-3 given the personnel and the way they want to build this defense. We had no depth, a plethora of injuries, and we had to work with what we had.

So, I don't think any of your points really hold water here...

I was just gonna say that! :thumbsup::lol:

You're neglecting to recognize the same single thought that any and all coaches have: "That's how he played before, but let's see what I can do with him".

Cutting Trent upon arriving would have been a huge mistake, given the "Offensive Geniuses" he had as coordinators and coaches under the Jauron regime.

The new guys werent going to turn this team around in the first year anyways. Better to take that year slow and see what you have in order to get a clearer plan for building towards the future.

And Dick Jauron did NOT do better with the QBs. Our QBs, and offense in general, were HORRIBLE. It was his vanilla bend-but-dont-break defense that held final scores to 13-10, 9-6, etc that kept us in games. Unfortunately, our pitiful offense being commanded by pitiful QBs kept us out of them.

Fitz's game against the Bengals (under Gailey) was our first 300 yard passer performance since Jim Kelly. So no, Jauron did NOT do more with less.

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion...Its a fact that 7-9 beats 4-12 / 6-10 tho.

Gailey took a team that had just gone 7-9 / 6-10 and made it worse by installing a 3-4 when he didn't have the proper players. I didn't think anyone could have fielded a team worse against the run then Jaurons Tampon 2. Yet, George Edwards not only managed to field a worse team against the run. He set a franchise record for worst against the run in the teams 50 year history. I suppose Gailey wasn't responsible for 2 years wasted on that 3-4 huh.

Gailey picking Edwards over Fitz is a big reason why the team started out 0-8. All the first team reps went to a guy he would cut after 2 games. The back up QB's don't get nearly as many reps so Fitz wasn't even close to being ready to start. Anyone else recall those first 8 games and how pathetic the offense looked, Fitz running for his life, literally.

Its my contention that Fitz, Stevie Johnson, Freddy Jackson were brought in under Jauron,and were already on the team when Gailey got here. If Gailey is such an offensive "megamind" & QB guru where is all the offensive talent he brought in?

Sorry guys, i don't only see the things I wanna see. I see things as they are. Right now Gailey is a 6-10 head coach. The Bills still haven't found a top #2 or #3 WR for all those 5 WR sets Gailey runs. The O line is still very questionable as to see if they can give Fitz the time to throw a 5-7 step drop deep passing play on a consistant basis like other teams. They still can't run the ball out of a closed formation.

Who cares if Gailey can make a QB light it up....its useless if he can't get them to win games. I wanna see wins!

Edited by Fear the Beard

He started Trent over Fitz(I know he looks great in practice), Spiller and Lynch over Jackson, allowed Kelsay and Johnson to play OLB, Moats was moved to ILB, played Levitre at center, kept Batten on an NFL roster, has now moved Carrington from DE to OLB to DT, and thought Merriman could play a 4-3 DE.

Looks like he was right about Evans, correctly moved Wood to center, and will likely be right about Maybin.

I like Gailey as a play caller but not sold on his HC responsibilites for managing the entire roster.

Your thoughts...

I wish Gailey was the OC only. Here's to hoping he is able to adjust his play calling this year, instead of calling the same plays when opposing defenses are dialed into his schemes. The second half slide last year was rough. And No, the injury bug only holds so much weight. Every team goes through it. The offensive depth is almost identical this year except for 2 rooks.

Even scarier with gailey if he comes out on 9/9/12 with the same exact offensive game planning he used last year Except for Graham it's the same cast of very medicore receivers past SJ13. Maybe there was a good reason he was out of the NFL until Ralph dialed him up? My confidence in him is waning after his complete mismangament of running backs going all the way back to his first season here. BTW is our second string TE even worth wasting a roster spot on?

Did you see what they had to work with when they came to Buffalo? I think they're doing an admirable job.

:lol: This thread just went full retard.

So you both think if they don't make the playoffs and in three years don't post a better record than DJ or Mularkey did, spend millions of RW's estate money, they will be brought back??? Maybe NIx is allowed to stay but it is playoffs or bust for Gailey.

Is anyone really suggesting, with a straight face, that Gailey/Nix are no better than Jauron/Levy because they took a 7-9/6-10 team and turned it into a 4-12/6-10 team?

Yes, people are actually suggesting that. But why does that surprise you? Never mind that half the roster has been turned over, it's obvious after two full seasons they don't know what they're doing. The real crime is that those who DO, are stuck here offering their advice for free when Ralph and Co. (or ANY NFL team for that matter) would gladly pay then millions for their talents.

GO BILLS!!!

Is anyone really suggesting, with a straight face, that Gailey/Nix are no better than Jauron/Levy because they took a 7-9/6-10 team and turned it into a 4-12/6-10 team?

I think most people "feel" ChaNix are the better duo. Ultimately however, the only measure than means anything is the record. And to this point at least, ChaNix have failed to live up to the lofty record of their predecessors. This should be the year that starts to change.

Explain the benefit of cutting him early? Beyond vague generalizations of 'They Should Know'

Gailey took a team that had just gone 7-9 / 6-10 and made it worse by installing a 3-4 when he didn't have the proper players. I didn't think anyone could have fielded a team worse against the run then Jaurons Tampon 2. Yet, George Edwards not only managed to field a worse team against the run. He set a franchise record for worst against the run in the teams 50 year history. I suppose Gailey wasn't responsible for 2 years wasted on that 3-4 huh.

In defense to Gailey, I think it was Nix's call to move to a 3-4. It's conceivable that Nix and Whaley's experience running the 3-4 defensively that led to the decision. And it being Gailey's first HC job since 1999, he probably didn't have room to argue.

As for the talent evaluation, I think this team is making more mistakes re: starters versus backups than many want to admit.

In defense to Gailey, I think it was Nix's call to move to a 3-4. It's conceivable that Nix and Whaley's experience running the 3-4 defensively that led to the decision. And it being Gailey's first HC job since 1999, he probably didn't have room to argue.

As for the talent evaluation, I think this team is making more mistakes re: starters versus backups than many want to admit.

In defense to Nix, when you take over a team that needs new starters at roughly 18 out of 22 positions, you're probably not going to immediately hit on all of them.