Where is Kelvin Sheppard?

BillsLux

I don't know if this got mentioned anywhere in this thread but Gailey had the safeties making the defensive calls against the Vikes. That might have contributed to Sheppard's seeming problems. In any case, Gailey has junked that experiment.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this got mentioned anywhere in this thread but Gailey had the safeties making the defensive calls against the Vikes. That might have contributed to Sheppard's seeming problems. In any case, Gailey has junked that experiment.

While it's true, it obviously didn't work that well. Linebackers collectively looked awful in that game.

Are we already pitchfork-ready regarding Sheppard, or does he at least get a chance to prove himself for a few regular season games?

He started the last 9 games of last season. Didn't notice him, huh? I don't blame you, he was hard to spot. Look for the guy getting swallowed up by guards and tangled up in running plays.

I'm not ready to run him out of town just yet, but right now he just isn't playing at an NFL level. I hope he improves - fast.

Let's all not forget that we let the Posluzny experiment go for 4 years before the team finally realized that he just wasn't good enough to play the position.

I am by no means a Poz-lover, but there were 42.5 million reasons for Poz not getting re-signed, and "not good enough to play the position" isn't one of them. I can't believe I just defended Poz....

I am not pleased to admit that i was ready to start a negative thread against Kelvin after the Vikings. But i was flabbergasted at first glance and then rewinding also.

Last game was a wake up call for everyone in fandom. We got a problem Houston.

After great consideration, and trying to take into account the head set being moved ( i did not know that at the time, thanks! )

Must be more to the story. The long playing time etc.

Or they have just made a major decision. Hmmmmm...

Because i am shocked/surprised, to say the least about his appearance in Vikes game, i will withold judgement. For now. Hope he comes around quick, such as Pittsburgh

Okay i would move Morrison to the middle on run as they planned with Shepp if it comes to that. And then Get the understudies studying!

Wait and see is my recommend for now gents.

London is missed greatly.. Still a one man wrecking crew, all in his own midget manic mission of putting a lick' on anyone near him. Kelvin will be alright, whanny and Barnett said he will be great for many years to come in this league. I'm confident in those two and their opinions.

DId you check the Metrodome? he's probably in the stands waving to the Viking players as they go by, much like last week...

I kid really...Who's Kelvin Sheppard?

95% of the "analysis" that goes on around here is by armchair heroes who never played or coached a lick of football in their entire lives, but because they've "watched it for years" feel competent to discuss how a player did or did not perform.

Once you understand that, the board becomes easier to stomach. We're all just idiots presenting our uninformed opinions.

And yes, I include myself in that statement.

I just average everybody's posts and come up with something close to the truth...does it work like that? maybe?

Good thread. I hadn't realized we had a problem at MLB until I saw that we were trying Morrison there. Then again, I haven't seen either pre-season game.

We will know the Bills are in trouble if you see good ole #90 giving it a shot.....or maybe Carrington. Of course, I kid, but it's getting late in the game.

I love the week 2 preseason chatter on here.

Shoulda picked Kuechly!

Sheppard sucks, worst MLB ever!

Nix draft record is awful!

Start McKillop and Carder!

CLOWNS...

or could it be that it's not looking promising that Sheppard developed from his un-impressive rookie year? The same issues are plaguing him this year that plagued him last year. Naw... it's just more fun to generalize topics and call people clowns.

He started the last 9 games of last season. Didn't notice him, huh? I don't blame you, he was hard to spot. Look for the guy getting swallowed up by guards and tangled up in running plays.

Let me help you out with that. Here he is blasting Michael Vick to force an interception (and subsequently a defensive touchdown) in his first NFL regular-season action:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioaQtzwC0v0

I'm not ready to run him out of town just yet, but right now he just isn't playing at an NFL level. I hope he improves - fast.

He's also not playing in an NFL game right now...it's pre-season.

Edited by thebandit27

Let me help you out with that. Here he is blasting Michael Vick to force an interception (and subsequently a defensive touchdown) in his first NFL regular-season action:

I remember this play and it was a big one, I agree. I have to respectfully disagree that you can use this play as an example to disprove the concerns of most of the posts in this thread. There is a general concern that Shep is having trouble getting off his blocks. On this play, Shep was NOT blocked.He pretty much came in untouched. Now if you are saying that Shep can be a productive MLB; if he remains unblocked on most plays; I would then agree with you 100%.

I remember this play and it was a big one, I agree. I have to respectfully disagree that you can use this play as an example to disprove the concerns of most of the posts in this thread. There is a general concern that Shep is having trouble getting off his blocks. On this play, Shep was NOT blocked.He pretty much came in untouched. Now if you are saying that Shep can be a productive MLB; if he remains unblocked on most plays; I would then agree with you 100%.

I'm not contending that he hasn't had his struggles, but rather taking issue with QC's assertion that he couldn't be noticed on the field.

It took me about 2 plays into his first NFL regular season action to notice him...that's all.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a Shep supporter, but....

Does anyone else notice that whenever you see a picture of Shep he's always goofing off or got one of those "it wasn't me" grins on his face. I know I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing but maybe he's just a bit too immature right now for what the coaches are asking of him. Not the first to have this happen, nor will it be the last. No doubt the kid was a leader at LSU, but it's a different ballgame in the pros.

Oh, and he's limited athletically too. Still, unless Morrison shows the coaches something at MLB, he's probably the best we have at the moment.

Here's to the DLINE dominating so it doesn't expose our LBs.

Edited by stony

I'll preface this by saying I'm a Shep supporter, but....

Does anyone else notice that whenever you see a picture of Shep he's always goofing off or got one of those "it wasn't me" grins on his face. I know I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing but maybe he's just a bit too immature right now for what the coaches are asking of him. Not the first to have this happen, nor will it be the last. No doubt the kid was a leader at LSU, but it's a different ballgame in the pros.

Oh, and he's limited athletically too. Still, unless Morrison shows the coaches something at MLB, he's probably the best we have at the moment.

Here's to the DLINE dominating so it doesn't expose our LBs.

so, was Barnett blowing smoke up our collective behinds in regards to him having the potential to be great?

so, was Barnett blowing smoke up our collective behinds in regards to him having the potential to be great?

How the hell should I know? Would you expect him to throw Shep under the bus and say he doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the league?

If I had a nickel for everytime a teammate said another teammate was going to be great I'd be rich. It means nothing.

Edited by stony

Sheppard was god awful...which might be the reason the other LBs looked awful. Right now, I think Sheppard is one of the guys who are playing themselves out of the starting position or right off the roster.

But... but... Buddy picked him in third round, even though he was projected to go much later. .. Buddy can't be wrong can he ?

I sure as hell hope we never keep a guy because a GM won't admit he simply blew it. Maybe spending so much time @ One Bills Drive b4 the draft made Shep family and we sure wouldn't want someone else to draft family !! B-)

Definitely dont give up. But he isnt ready just yet. Read between the lines in Wannstadts quote. He will be very good. Not HE IS very good.

Guess we need patience. but til then i hope Morrison goes back to his old form with Raiders. which was pretty darn good by the way.

This actually is one of the best points. In a 4-3, it's really not supposed to be the job of the LB to shed blocks from the OL. It's been commented elsewhere that some of the DL look as if they're only giving it 50%. If the DL isn't keeping the OL off the LB and the LB is having to fight off blocks, the DL def. has some responsibility there.

That's a great play for sure. But showing him make one play doesn't illustrate the other entire games where he was silent. When I said you couldn't notice him on the field, I didn't mean it in the literal sense (I thought that was obvious). I can link you a video of Trent Edward throwing a perfect TD pass - what does that accomplish?

I see this posted all the time, and I think it's laughable. Fans throw the "meaningless preseason" phrase around whenever it conveniently fits their argument. Do these games count toward the standings? Of course not. Are we running vanilla schemes? Sure. But playing in a preseason game isn't an excuse for poor tackling. It's not the reason why a LB gets pancaked by a guard or smoked in coverage by a fullback. Preseason is the time where many starting jobs are won and lost. Try telling the 40+ players that will be cut this summer that these games are meaningless.

I am by no means a Poz-lover, but there were 42.5 million reasons for Poz not getting re-signed, and "not good enough to play the position" isn't one of them. I can't believe I just defended Poz....

Guy gets tangled up by WRs!!!!!

I was really happy with how Shep looked tonight...very active, diagnosed the play quickly, took good pursuit angles, etc...I think he'll be fine.

Looked the same to me.Getting pancaked. Not shedding blocks,not stuffing up In the middle.

I agree. He was on the losing end of every battle. He has no business being a starter. He can't pursue plays. He had one chance with his arm on a RB and didn't even try to make a tackle. Morrison looks like the guy. He's not great but Shep is awful. Obvious cut.

I agree. He was on the losing end of every battle. He has no business being a starter. He can't pursue plays. He had one chance with his arm on a RB and didn't even try to make a tackle. Morrison looks like the guy. He's not great but Shep is awful. Obvious cut.

Shep isn't awful, and you have a better chance of being cut from this site then him being cut this year

At least I noticed Shep was on the field for this game. That's an improvement. However, he's got to get better and fast or we are in trouble. I don't care how good the D-line is; you need a middle linebacker in a 4-3 scheme to be flying around the field. Unfortunately, this position may be the difference between our D-fense being really good and just average.

You didnt watch the game last night I take it? Dude won plenty of battles, filled holes, and was making plays AT or BEHIND the line of scrimmage. The only play you can knock him for was the TD run, but Dareus should have had the RB as well. It didnt help either of them that the OL jumped on the RBs back to push them all into the end zone together.

Shep played well last night, Morrison played well against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Looks like we should have our LBs set now.

Looked the same to me.Getting pancaked. Not shedding blocks,not stuffing up In the middle.

I saw one play when Pitt was deep in our territory where he was engaged 1:1 with one of Pitts starting Olinemen, and he got pancaked. Even Ray Lewis will lose a 1:1 with a 320lb lineman from time to time.

You didnt watch the game last night I take it? Dude won plenty of battles, filled holes, and was making plays AT or BEHIND the line of scrimmage. The only play you can knock him for was the TD run, but Dareus should have had the RB as well. It didnt help either of them that the OL jumped on the RBs back to push them all into the end zone together.

Shep played well last night, Morrison played well against the 2nd and 3rd stringers. Looks like we should have our LBs set now.

This

Repeat after me.

NFL LB take time to develop.

Good teams do not cut a 2nd year player who was drafted in the 3rd round.

They don't necessarily start him at MLB, but they don't cut him.

Shep isn't awful, and you have a better chance of being cut from this site then him being cut this year

This :thumbsup: