Wow, Vince Young is awful

I haven't caught every snap that VY has taken in pre-season, but the ones I've seen have been have been lackluster at best.

The only positive thing I can say has to do with his scrambling, which he seems to do a lot.

The throws I have seen have either been over-thrown, or near interceptions (throwing into tight coverage or not seeing defender at all).

What happened to the VY of the early Titan years?

I recall he kicked Bills a** in his rookie year ... not only with his scrambling but his laser accurate passes.

I'm concerned if he ends up being our #2, and you should be too.

I am more worried about the starters than the backups.

I'm optimistic because the running game is so bad. Spiller is good and Freddie is good and the line is the same as last year, in most of its pieces. That didn't fall apart over the summer, so the reason must be that the intensity for the starting offense is just too low in preseason to yield meaningful results.

Hopefully not wishful thinking, but the panic button is still under glass. I won't look for the hammer until halftime of the Jets game, at least.

Young looked much better tonight (not perfect, he will never be) than last week. I have not been as down on Tyler Thigpen as most here, but he was pretty bad tonight, when it counted most.. that 4th & 5 worm burner he threw to Namman (I think it was NR) gave me bad flashbacks of Losman...and then I started thinking, he is a lot like Losman....can look pretty good at times, and then just awful when you think he getting in a groove...

Anyway, Tasker made, I thought, a good point about Young. His athleticism, and arm strength, give him a better chance of coming off the bench and pulling a game out, if needed, than Thigpen. Young is likely always going to have some maddening tendancies, but as we saw, tonight on the hook-up with Graham, his big play-making ability can keep a team in a game... as Tasker said, as a backup, he wouldn't get as much practice, so being able to rely on his athletic skill (and he has a lot of that) just gives him a big advantage over a guy like Thigpen. Thigpen isn't a bad athlete either, but he doesn't have VY's combo of size and speed. I enjoyed watching Young tonight. It was all downhisll after he went out of the game...kinda wished Chan would have left him in the final 4:30 of the 3rd, just to see if he could put the Bills in the lead.

Young may not put together a lot of long, sustained, efficient, time consuming drives...he is more likely, rather than an efficient 15 play, 80 yard drive, to give you a 5 play 70 yard drive, where 62 of the yards come on one play...and you want to tear your hair out the other 4 plays.

Yea I think he solidified his backup job tonight cant really say he looked awful in any way.

Funny, I agree with you pretty much...but where he looks pretty awful is short passes....he just isn't accurate on short passes...when somebody referred to his "laser like accuracy" earlier in the thread, they were likely thinking of his early days with the Titans, when he threw a fair number of deep, accurate passes to pull out games....I like his long ball....but he still struggles on the short stuff. He just isn't that guy who can fit a short, tight pass into traffic for a drive sustaining completion...but he might be able to scramble, at elite level, and have the same effect.

Being in Austin, I have been watching the guy for all of his college, and quite a bit of his pro-career (he is a god here, they show VY whenever they can...might get more Bills games here if he ever starts). He might not be the most coachable QB ever...and honestly, I think that is where he and Jeff Fisher just clashed...Fisher wanted him to be something he can't be. I think Gailey, maybe as much as anyone in the NFL, can get the best out of him, if it ever comes to that point.

Edited by Buftex

i am more worried about Gaileys playcalling

Bingo!

We need a legitimate OC like a year ago. Maybe our FO will decide to give Bobby Petrino another chance.

Oh and btw, VY looked pretty darn good for a guy learning a new offense. If Chan cuts him, it would solidify his spot as the sorriest HC in the league.

Edited by #34fan

i am more worried about Gaileys playcalling

I think it stems from his commitment to systems not best players. Case in point: took them 2 miserable years to realize 3-4 D wasn't some miracle system that transcended personnel. On offense he goes with the QB best fits his quick short pass system instead of the clearly more talented one.

Mr 10 up, 20 down better have a winning record in this his 3rd year as HC or he can take his systems back to down to the dirty south.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

If Thigcrap beats out Vince for #2 Obama and Jesse shoudl investigate this. Vince is so much better than Thiggy and maybe Fitz it is not even close.

After last night, Thigpen better be out of here. I don't have much confidence in Young overall, but what happened at the end of the game last night was embarrassing. Any good college QB should have been able to make those throws, and he wasn't able to do it twice against the bottom of the barrel of Minnesota's defense. He is not an NFL QB and needs to be let go.

After last night, Thigpen better be out of here. I don't have much confidence in Young overall, but what happened at the end of the game last night was embarrassing. Any good college QB should have been able to make those throws, and he wasn't able to do it twice against the bottom of the barrel of Minnesota's defense. He is not an NFL QB and needs to be let go.

This. Vince Young is garbage. When you put garbage in, you get garbage out.

This. Vince Young is garbage. When you put garbage in, you get garbage out.

I was talking about Thigpen. My opinion of Young isn't very high, but at this point I'd take him, or Trent Edwards for that matter, over Thigpen.

Bad subject line? Must be watching different games. First preseason game Thiggy played with the 2's and looked horrible. Young played with the scrubs (Mike Jasper etc.) and actually made a couple plays. This game Young moved the team and did OK. I'll say the same thing today that I said after week 1; cut Thigpen now. Get Young every possible snap. The Bills have wasted 1 week givin Thipgen snaps that blong to Young. Let's not wast a second week.

Bad subject line? Must be watching different games. First preseason game Thiggy played with the 2's and looked horrible. Young played with the scrubs (Mike Jasper etc.) and actually made a couple plays. This game Young moved the team and did OK. I'll say the same thing today that I said after week 1; cut Thigpen now. Get Young every possible snap. The Bills have wasted 1 week givin Thipgen snaps that blong to Young. Let's not wast a second week.

Thats so true, even last night I was thinking just keep Young in there for the rest of the game. Why bother putting Thigpen in, we know the deal with him already. Young needs the game time a lot more than anyone needs to see what Thigpen can do any further

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I haven't caught every snap that VY has taken in pre-season, but the ones I've seen have been have been lackluster at best.

The only positive thing I can say has to do with his scrambling, which he seems to do a lot.

The throws I have seen have either been over-thrown, or near interceptions (throwing into tight coverage or not seeing defender at all).

I recall he kicked Bills a** in his rookie year ... not only with his scrambling but his laser accurate passes.

He's never been the most accurate passer, just had a knack for making plays in the clutch.

Fitz looked just fine, he just needs the line to get healthier so he is not in such a hurry to get every pass out. That pass to Stevie which was then fumbled might have been one of the best "arm strength" throws I've ever seen from him. Sliding right, throwing across his body to the left, 20 yard bullet right to Stevie crossing right to left. I had no idea he could make that kind of throw.

Hard to argue this reasoning. If something happens to VY or Fitz I have a feeling thigs, will still be around to pick back up if needed.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

BB nailed it. I am not a Young fan, didn't care for his signing, but did want to see a backup brought in. Thigpen is terrible and needs to go.

I found it interesting that Young didn't scramble once. I'm wondering if Chan told him, "We want to see you throw -- Do not even think about running." We already know that he has the running advantage over Thigpen.

I think Chan wanted to see him throw versus Thigpen, so he could compare apples to apples.

Buh-bye, Tyler.

BA

The "awful" seems way off though. Last week I would have agreed, but he looked a lot better tonight. He looked like good backup material actually

It'll take him a few more months to have the system down. That's ok with me, He's not on a deadline. Just hope he's not needed (ever) or until it's second nature to him.

Young is your number 2 QB, Brad Smith and Thigpen will be gone in a few days. the Bills should be looking to the waivier wire for a young Practice squad type. Yes I know thay have to sign one to the active roster first then they can put one on the practice squad later.

Was that a feat? Seems to me that the Bills have sucked since Young's been in the league. They haven't had a winning season the whole time.

Maybe Young was able to help the Titans beat the Bills because we sucked.

Bingo!

We need a legitimate OC like a year ago. Maybe our FO will decide to give Bobby Petrino another chance.

Oh and btw, VY looked pretty darn good for a guy learning a new offense. If Chan cuts him, it would solidify his spot as the sorriest HC in the league.

Gailey's supposed to be the offensive mastermind, remember.

Young is likely always going to have some maddening tendancies, but as we saw, tonight on the hook-up with Graham, his big play-making ability can keep a team in a game...

One of the things that perplexes me is how everyone claims that the preseason games don't mean anything, but then they extrapolate the play of former starting players against 2nd and 3rd team players to mean something positive.

If Young has to come in on any kind of a regular basis, then it won't be good news. He's had chance after chance after chance to prove himself in the NFL and now, on his third team in as many years, he's failed to do that.

I hear ya on him being able to come in, and he may have some limited value there, but if he has to start, it won't be good.

The other thing is that he and Fitz are such different QBs. Trying to put Young in Fitz's shoes in the same system to me says that those trying to do that don't know what they're doing, so naturally it makes people wonder about why Young is even here if it's not to play a lot of Wildcat. And if that's the case, then may heaven help us.

Edited by TaskersGhost